• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Advanced Movement Options

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Basic Stuff

There has been some discussion in the general chat about "staggered aerials" (I chose this name arbitrarily because there was no easy way to describe it). They are performed by dashing in one direction, then dashing in the opposite direction and jumping. The result is that Nana lags behind you--moreso than she normally would--creating a spatial separation between Popo and Nana. The degree of horizontal displacement can be controlled by varying the length of your dashes and the timing of your jump.

The most obvious use for this technique is extending the horizontal range of your aerial hitboxes. The downside is that you also extend the horizontal range of your hurtboxes (i.e. you become a larger target) and it takes longer to perform than a standard aerial. Some examples:

- Fox is laser camping near the ledge. You don't want to approach directly, because if you make the wrong decision you might get juked and sent flying off the stage. Instead you can use a staggered sh b-air to send Nana into his space. Popo stays up to ~2 character lengths closer to center stage, which means that even if Nana gets hit, Popo will be out of range, giving you an opportunity to retaliate.

- The opponent is trying to run away, using the side platforms on Battlefield. If you try to sh u-air, they can jump over you and attack from the side. If you try to fulljump u-air, they can retreat or platform drop to gain a positional advantage. Instead, you can try staggering your u-airs, so that Popo falls back towards center stage while Nana pressures the platform/path to the upper platform with her u-air. You also cover a wider horizontal space, so it's difficult for your opponent to attack Popo from the side.

- Aerial Blizzard trap: If you stagger a jumping Blizzard, facing towards the opponent, they might try to jump over you and counterattack. However, since Nana is lagging significantly behind Popo, they might only hit Popo, cancelling your Blizzard but falling right into Nana's. This can be useful at lower percents, when Popo won't be sent flying away, or if your opponent is approaching with weaker aerials. It's fundamentally the same as desynching off single-hit projectiles, except it works against any hitbox as long as Nana is safely out of range.

- Staggered Ice Blocks: Staggering your Ice Blocks is almost like desynching them completely, since the Ice Blocks will move across the stage one after enough, rather than sticking together.

In all of the above examples, the horizontal displacement is such that Nana is sent behind Popo. For b-air and Blizzard this is usually desirable. However, it's also possible with a slight modification to make Nana jump in front of you, allowing you to do the same type of bait with n-air or f-air. This is done by turning around before you jump--either by pivoting, or by dashing back in the original direction, immediately shieldstopping, and jumping out of shield. The entire sequence is dash forward -> dash back -> dash turnaround (pivot or shieldstop) -> jump.

Platform Basics

The main reason I'm making this thread is to go over some platform movement options that I don't believe have been explored much in the past. Ancient Ice Climber knowledge dictates that you should avoid landing on platforms whenever possible, because ICs are much safer below the opponent than above, they don't move quickly enough through the air to dodge and counterattack, once you get launched it's easy for the opponent to kill Nana, etc.

With all that said, there are still some nifty things you can do using platforms. I think it's worth practicing your platform movement options so that you don't get stuck on the platforms, and potentially turn your weakness into a strength.

Platform dropping is a really fundamental aspect of techskill that can make your platform game much less predictable. Without platform dropping your options are basically limited to jumping and running or wavedashing off the platform, which makes it fairly straighforward for your opponent to call out your movement. Platform dropping opens up a range of other possible spacings. The two main methods for platform dropping are:

- Shai dropping: While dashing, press down on the control stick and shield 3 to 5 frames later.

- Standard shield drop: Hold forward before shielding to tilt your shield, then rotate the control stick down one notch to drop through the platform.

Options out of shield dropping include u-air (good for hitting through the platform), d-air/n-air (which are fast and can intercept opponents' jumps), b-air (overall amazing move), f-air (on BF/PS/Dreamland, the hitbox will come out just before you land, which makes it safe on shield and CC), and waveland (good for evading the opponent). A comprehensive shield dropping guide with frame data can be found here.

Super Cool Stuff

As always, because there are two Climbers, there are tons of little intricacies to learn with every aspect of their movement. In this case you can manipulate your shield drop by adjusting your position beforehand. You can "stagger" Popo and Nana before a shield drop the same way you can before a jump--by dashing one way and then the other, immediately followed by either a Shai drop or a turnaround Shai drop (depending whether you want Popo or Nana in front). Here are some applications:

- Shield drop staggered aerial: Simply stagger Popo and Nana before Shai dropping, and perform the aerial of your choice. U-air is cool because it pokes through in two distinct locations, covering most of the platform in hitboxes. D-air and n-air are also cool because they cover a large amount of space below the platform, and because when they're staggered, sometimes Nana's aerial will hit much later than Popo's, extending the hitstun and allowing you to land safely.

- Staggered Ice Blocks: Same as before, but you can choose whether to land on the ground or on the platform. Landing on the platform shortens the duration of the move, giving you more time to move in after shooting the Ice Blocks.

- Staggered Blizzard trap: Same as before, but here you would typically be attacking from above as your opponent tries to poke you from below. Dashing back then forward (towards center stage) before shield dropping could move Nana out of harm's way and let you turn a bad situation into a Blizzard combo.

- Dash dance desynch: Coincidentally, the movements you need to perform a staggered platform drop are the same that initiate a dash dance desynch. If you crouch and input a command just before inputting shield, you can have Nana perform a move on the platform while Popo shield drops. This option is sort of cool from an option coverage perspective--you can throw out hitboxes on the platform to cover a fulljump approach and throw out hitboxes below or run away. Note: there are two ways to perform the dash dance desynch. You can either dash back, then forward, then crouch and perform a move with Nana ("two dash" variant) or dash forward, then back, then forward, then crouch ("standard" dash dance desynch).

- Shield Drop Blizzard trick: Perform a "two dash" variant of the dash dance desynch so that Nana starts Blizzard at the edge of a platform. If you simultaneously shield drop with Popo, she'll stay synched with you, dropping down with Blizzard as Popo falls towards the ground. The input sequence is something like: dash back -> dash forward -> press down + B -> immediately shield. Performed correctly, it will look like you Shai dropped directly into a desynched Nana Blizzard. If you fail to shield drop, Nana will slide backwards off the platform (which sometimes means off the stage... so make sure you can shield drop consistently). This took me a while to work out, but it's not impossibly hard to learn, and it's very useful in my opinion.*

- Approaching Blizzard: If you perform a dash dance desynch into Blizzard as you run off a platform, Nana will slide off, and her Blizzard will follow you into center stage. Easy to perform, but only useful if your opponent is far away. One possible application is right at the beginning of a match, when both players start on opposite platforms.

- Platform Drop Desynch: Platform drop, immediately jump, and waveland back onto the platform; Nana will drop down and only Popo will waveland. You can make it look almost as if you're desynching out of wavedash (e.g., Shai drop -> immediate waveland off the platform -> Popo f-air -> Nana f-smash/Blizzard).

- Whoop Desynch: This has been discussed before, and featured in multiple videos, but it's worth mentioning here because I don't think anyone has implemented it effectively. The "whoop desynch" refers to when you try to waveland onto the platform, but only Nana touches ground--the result is Popo airdodging to the ground, while Nana wavelands off the platform and quickly rejoins him. Despite the name, it can be done on command fairly easily if you know the platform waveland timing. I can imagine it being useful in situations where your opponent's back is to the ledge; if they see you jump towards the platform they might roll or run forward to go underneath you--but instead run into a surprise Nana Blizzard, while Popo lands on the ground ready to grab.

*The shield drop Blizzard doesn't work on the side platforms of Yoshi's story because they are too close to the ledge--Nana falls right off the stage. However, there are a few cool YS-specific shenanigans that come as a result of this. A well-space staggered shield drop is a quick way to have Nana grab the ledge. If Randall happens to pass by before she gets up, you can actually control her while she's off stage (i.e. input a smash/taunt before she slides off Randall and regrabs the ledge). You can also perform staggered shield dropped aerials so that Nana falls off stage; for example, staggered d-air can send Nana plummeting straight down along the edge of the stage, Brawl-style. One other (very situational) trick is that if Nana lands on a side platform while Popo is directly below her, you can desynch by performing a shield drop with Nana (Popo will spotdodge, allowing Nana to perform any aerial, Ice Block, or Blizzard).

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Gonna try to add some visuals since I know this thread is long and confusing. Here's an example of the platform drop desynch:

Last edited:

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
Could you please change the colour on the names of the techniques? Its kinda difficult to read.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
For me these are super hard to get consistently.
Also I was practicing the staggered shield drop to u-air and only nana dropped through with an u-air, but she kinda floated there for a second it seemed then jumped out of the uair in mid air to go back onto the platform. I don't think it is possible to drop through a yoshi's lower platform and have uair end before you hit the ground. It was really weird.
Okay so I did it again. So it wasn't a shield drop at all. I dashed to ledge and then failed at dropping and just shielded, I pressed up on the c-stick which led to popo short-hopping, but nana was falling off the side of the platform and u-aired from the same c-stick input, nana magnetized to popo kinda since he was only shorthopping. It is just super weird to watch.

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
For me these are super hard to get consistently.
Also I was practicing the staggered shield drop to u-air and only nana dropped through with an u-air, but she kinda floated there for a second it seemed then jumped out of the uair in mid air to go back onto the platform. I don't think it is possible to drop through a yoshi's lower platform and have uair end before you hit the ground. It was really weird.
Okay so I did it again. So it wasn't a shield drop at all. I dashed to ledge and then failed at dropping and just shielded, I pressed up on the c-stick which led to popo short-hopping, but nana was falling off the side of the platform and u-aired from the same c-stick input, nana magnetized to popo kinda since he was only shorthopping. It is just super weird to watch.
It's interesting that you were able to input a move for Nana after she slid off the platform. It sounds like you jumped, but maybe her jump was canceled by the sliding animation which allowed you to stay in control? I'll try to recreate it.

These techniques do take practice. I would recommend building them up incrementally, since each time you add a piece it becomes slightly harder. From easiest to hardest, I would practice:

1. Staggered aerials, shorthop and fullhop as well as two-dash and three-dash variants (putting Nana behind you and in front of you, respectively).
2. Running shield drops in both directions. Start by just getting the empty shield drop consistently, then add in wavelands to the ground and aerials. Practice varying the aerial timing and see how soon you can get it out after shield dropping.
3. Staggered shield drops. These are slightly harder because there are more inputs, but the timing for shield drops are exactly the same. Just make sure you are inputing the downward direction consistently, since flicking the control stick back and forth can sometimes disorient your hand.
4. Staggered shield drops followed by aerials, Ice Blocks, and Blizzards. Again the timing is the same, you are just adding one more step.
5. All the other stuff. Most of the desynchs are just slight variations of shield drop/staggered shield drop, but they do generally have stricter timing and are more difficult to perform. The exceptions are what I called "Approaching Blizzard" (which isn't any harder than a standard dash dance desynch) and "Whoop Desynch" (which is built off of the platform waveland rather than the shield drop).

Last edited:

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
I've known about the "approaching blizzard" for a while but have never really used it in an actual game effectively. The rest of the stuff is super cool. I'm starting to get the hang of shai dropping and will soon move on to the blizzard trick.
I really think these will help me out because I often get wrecked when I end up staying on a platform for too long.

This is all quite well written and thought out.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I have recreated it a bunch, my dolphin just sucks to much to record it. When I try to dump frames the FPS drops to like 20

Smog

Smash Journeyman

Its just so weird to watch
You can do it off the edge of the stage too, but you'll probably just airdodge off

Last edited:

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
I'm finding the timing to make nana blizzard off the platform after the 2 dashes really difficult.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I'm finding the timing to make nana blizzard off the platform after the 2 dashes really difficult.
It is difficult. You can try practicing it piece by piece. It's easy enough to perform the two dashes and have Nana slide off the platform backwards doing Blizzard--you just need to know when to input the second dash. After you press down, you need to shield 3-5 frames later to shield drop. That only gives you a few frames to press B before dropping.

I think of it like I'm doing a staggered shield drop, but then input B immediately before pressing shield (whereas if you wanted a staggered Blizzard you would input B afterwards).

Last edited:

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Staggered aerials are so cool and I'm working on incorporating them into my play. Some things I have discovered so far:
-I think when positioned correctly, a staggered bair can cover an entire side platform completely on every platform stage.
-If an opponent is also camping top platform, you can do staggered uairs to poke from two different areas.
-You can do a staggered empty hop so that Nana can tank the first hit of an incoming attack while you can punish afterwards (on the condition your back is facing to the opponent).
-Staggered jump cancelled usmashes can cover pretty much every option on FoD's lowered side platforms. (Also looking to see if staggered usmashes (so that the back hitbox hits) can help against floating Peaches that might descend with a FC Fair (perhaps trading with the hit), but something is telling me it's not that simple haha)

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yep, peach can just float high enough to avoid it, waiting and punishing, unless you count her floattime and time it when shes going to have to go down. Backair is nice since you can start a desynch fast from it, and its very safe from that kind of distance. I guess fulljump backair shine is what the foxes will do to try to answer to that.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
I've seen Wobbles do this before, but after initiating a staggered jump (dash back and then jump), you can buffer a crouch and maintain that spatial separation. After experimenting with this a bit, Nana gravitates back to you under the condition if:
1. You're hit.
2. You let go of down and perform another action.
This makes me wonder if the opponent does not respect that spatial separation, we could get Popo to CC an incoming attack and during hitlag, possibly input a fsmash since Nana remains a character's length behind you. If anyone has thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I've seen Wobbles do this before, but after initiating a staggered jump (dash back and then jump), you can buffer a crouch and maintain that spatial separation. After experimenting with this a bit, Nana gravitates back to you under the condition if:
1. You're hit.
2. You let go of down and perform another action.
This makes me wonder if the opponent does not respect that spatial separation, we could get Popo to CC an incoming attack and during hitlag, possibly input a fsmash since Nana remains a character's length behind you. If anyone has thoughts, I would love to hear them.
Yeah, for some reason the force doesn't affect Nana during her crouching or landing animations. You can also set it up (with only slight separation) by dashing back, dashing forward, then wavedashing back. It's an interesting idea because normally Nana can't crouch cancel attacks (since she doesn't ASDI with you). I'll have to think more about where it might be effective.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Yeah, for some reason the force doesn't affect Nana during her crouching or landing animations. You can also set it up (with only slight separation) by dashing back, dashing forward, then wavedashing back. It's an interesting idea because normally Nana can't crouch cancel attacks (since she doesn't ASDI with you). I'll have to think more about where it might be effective.
I was thinking potentially Peach's FC Fair. If she decides to Fair Popo, will Nana be in range to hit her back with an fsmash or something? If she decides to go fair inbetween the climbers, that's a free uair/bair/nair for Popo maybe because Peach would have committed to space herself inbetween the climbers. I don't have dolphin to test these out but I'm really curious. Even other troublesome moves like Fox's late nair - shine can be nullified if we have Nana to cover our backs.

EDIT: Tested by a friend of mine. Peach with her landing lag of 4 and her fresh unstaled fair's hit lag of 7 frames, will give Nana an option to do within 11 frames. Because Nana is a bit far away, perhaps we could input a blizzard or fsmash for range's sake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom