• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldering lightpress to hardpress

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
After getting quite used to comfort of wifisafe lightpress, its quite the pain reverting back to full sets hardpress. So much so i ordered a triwing and removed the spring. This some what alievated the problem but lightpress airdodge is just better in every way. Ive decided to try and figure out how to connect light press to hardpress. I realize this probably an illegal mod but imo this is like maphack for d2, it should just be in the game. Let you know when i figure it out and post pics, or would appreciate it if someone who already knows can tell me which points ahead of time.

Ps. Add custom max wavedash notches to your control stick octagon, its op.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Lightpress airdoge takes a lot of the needless hassle out of wavedashing. An option should be added at some point so players can choose whether they want lightpress or hardpess to be required for airdoges, and ideally this option should be tag specific, like the option to turn tap jump on or off.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You cant "hardwire" lightpress to fullpress lmao, they read from the same analog input

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Say it aint so man. Hmm i was tinkering with last night but couldnt find my soldering iron. There are 2 points for the hard press and 3 for light. Ive see some video where the guy rewires something to his L trigger. I believ u, make sense but ill try again tomm.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You cant "hardwire" lightpress to fullpress lmao, they read from the same analog input
uhh no lol
have you never opened up a controller? There is a specific contact point for hard press. You can actually take out the rubber pad and disable full press without disabling any of the analog degrees of your trigger. Analog press and hard press (digital press) exist in the controller separately as two distinct inputs

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
uhh no lol
have you never opened up a controller? There is a specific contact point for hard press. You can actually take out the rubber pad and disable full press without disabling any of the analog degrees of your trigger. Analog press and hard press (digital press) exist in the controller separately as two distinct inputs
Removing the pad =/= hardwiring

This doesnt solve the problem either because you're still required to full press for air dodges in the full set and that would remove them

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
uhh no lol
Kinda off topic but would that work for things like jump buttons as well?

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
For jump buttons i hear the trick is to shave a little off the top so it always short hops. But i only use 1 jump button and can pretty much short hop everytime and use x for special since its closer than b. i wavedash and l cancel using rtrigger too, imo its much better, at least for wavedashing.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Removing the pad =/= hardwiring

This doesnt solve the problem either because you're still required to full press for air dodges in the full set and that would remove them
lol that's not what I'm saying
I was simply showing your statement of "lightpress and full press... read from the same analog input" to be wrong

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
lol that's not what I'm saying
I was simply showing your statement of "lightpress and full press... read from the same analog input" to be wrong
They do read from the same input. Hard press is just the max analog input you can do. They use the same button lmao

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
They do read from the same input. Hard press is just the max analog input you can do. They use the same button lmao
no, they don't lol
the analog input is a slider/potentiometer to read the degree of input and a spring to provide resistance
the hard press is a separate contact in the trigger with its own rubber pad to provide the extra click of resistance
you can disable either one separately from the other
clearly you have never opened a gamecube controller

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Would this be illegal in tournaments and count as modding your controller? I'm not sure you could ever get caught doing this anyway.

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Would this be illegal in tournaments and count as modding your controller? I'm not sure you could ever get caught doing this anyway.
Removing springs are not illegal for PM, but this would prob be illegal since it give you an unfair advantage. But so to custom notches on the octagon and thats not illegal. Like you said, pretty cant get caught unless they really listening in for controller clicks.

Dfood seems like he's already done this mod, share the wealth bro! haha Im borrowing my friends soldering iron tomm and will hopefully be able to figure it out. Hard press is completly seperate from light press like he said. Light press uses a 3 connection slider, hardpress uses a 2 connection button press. Technically is as simple connecting lifghtpress to hardpress so that if light is on, so is hard. HArd should automatically override light.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I haven't done the mod, but I have removed the spring from one of my trigger for easy powershields and High Quality WaveDashing Action

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
but srsly with this whole wifi thing have to differentiate between the two is a hassle, wifi has the multiplayer. Go to a friends house and only 1 version works on their wii and just reverting is pain. Id rather just get used to lightpress wavedash again, it was much faster and smoother.

One of my quirks with taking the spring out is the other trigger used for light shielding sticks out further removed spring one which stays tucked behind the slider. Its feels klnda unergonomic. it doesnt fix the problem imo which is the loud and strenous click, it just shortens the distance.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
it does reduce the strain of the click. there is literally resistance that is no longer there, the spring.
it feels fine once you get used to it lol.

EDIT: Also there is a way to modify the trigger so the trigger stays up all the way but skips the analog press- you can take another trigger (from a controller you don't use) cut out the column inside the plastic trigger button (the part the spring wraps around, which also depressed the rubber pad) and then put it inside the trigger mechanism to keep the trigger level with the other one, while also being in place to depress the rubber pad at max height.

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
yeah its not too bad, its worse for new the new controllers. Another method is to cut out the button and super glue it to the trigger. Yeah i only have 2 controllers rather not cut the column.

What would really be ideal would be if lightpress and hardpress were treated as diffferent buttons in the configuration menu. cuz really they are. Imagine being able to do two actions(like wavedash) with single motion. One can dream.

edit not ideal but op lol

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
What would really be ideal would be if lightpress and hardpress were treated as diffferent buttons in the configuration menu. cuz really they are. Imagine being able to do two actions(like wavedash) with single motion. One can dream.
Hey man, If they were crazy enough to make auto L cancel an option, I wouldn't give up hope. Personally, I just hope they put a tag-specific option in to enable airdodge on lightpress. If they can do it for tap jump...

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: Also there is a way to modify the trigger so the trigger stays up all the way but skips the analog press- you can take another trigger (from a controller you don't use) cut out the column inside the plastic trigger button (the part the spring wraps around, which also depressed the rubber pad) and then put it inside the trigger mechanism to keep the trigger level with the other one, while also being in place to depress the rubber pad at max height.
If anybody wants more information on this part, check out my post in this thread.

I really think it's a great modification to make. It makes powershielding and wavedashing so much easier, at least to me.

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
My friend forgot to get soldering iron from work. i might just order one. Switched back to wifi set and after getting used to the wavedash again, i can say hands down, lightpress airdoge is much better.

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, If they were crazy enough to make auto L cancel an option, I wouldn't give up hope. Personally, I just hope they put a tag-specific option in to enable airdodge on lightpress. If they can do it for tap jump...
will try this mod now 9bit. Had no avil with the solder and tried many various connections. I dont have a spare trigger so ill try to make the spacer with some lego or pen.

It seems like a pretty good mod

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Yes!!!!! I finally solved it! After months Ive finally figured out the best way to get lightpress wavedash!. First I used 9bit's trick and added a spacer. However I didnt like it so much. Sure you could wavedash on a tap, but it wasnt a lightpress and worst of all. I use r Trigger for both lcancel and wavedash. When the spacer is added, it removes lightpress which in turn was annoying for my r-cancel. I decided to remedy the situation. The answer wasnt technical or electrical, it was mechanical as 9bit suggested. I found when using a Spring(Basically any and every pen spring will fit) instead of a spacer, placed inside the column of the trigger works perfectly in emulating lightpress wavedash. This way not only can I still lightpress, my lightpresses can trigger wavedeash. I had to try different pen springs to get a feel of whats right. Id suggest around 1 inch. You will have to experiement like I did. This is hands down the most op controller mod in existence in my opinion. Not sure if illegal to add a spring, probably, but honestly lightpress wavedash is just better. No pics sry guys, just use 9bits guide and instead of a spacer use a pen spring.

Ideally you want to find a sturdy one, if it is too soft then you will push down all the way regardless. I got lucky and found a sturdy one that triggers hardpress from the slightest ligthpress. Gl and enjoy!

Top Bottom