• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solar Powered: Ivysaur Q&A/General Discussion Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You underestimate how ridiculous F-Air is and what it leads to. Going for falling U-Air on-stage is suboptimal compared to that and/or D-Air 99.99% of the time.

Sudai

Stuff here
I don't underestimate it, there's just times you don't have time for FAir to swing all the way below you . Its not something I recommend using all the time but its definitely something you want to be able to do when the situation arises. Body UAir > USmash works at percents that the FAir would only connect to Up-B or Solar Beam and that's only if they DI improperly and that's assuming you have the time to hit them with the FAir since it takes forever to swing below Ivy. Like I said before, its a mix-up and its situational, but its very strong and its silly to overlook niche things in your character.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
U-Air comes out on Frame 8 while F-Air comes out on Frame 10. The time spent waiting for F-Air to come down on the opponent is comparable or shorter than the time it takes for U-Air to come down. For all intents and purposes, they're the same speed.

That said, body U-Air should only be landing if an opponent massively overextends himself or on the hardest of hard reads. As such, it's not even close to reliable and would pretty much only be useful to mix things up when you're being juggled. Otherwise, you're just playing bad/inexperienced opponents, as there are a lot of ways to deal with it.

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
So How does ivysaur's side b work? I noticed sometimes it goes faster than others but I have no idea how to change the speed. Is the speed randomized?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So How does ivysaur's side b work? I noticed sometimes it goes faster than others but I have no idea how to change the speed. Is the speed randomized?
tilt vs Smash like Link's boomerang or Samus' missiles

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Alright thanks that seems to be it. Feels way harder to consistently do than smash attacks for some reason.
That's one of the reasons I stopped playing Diddy, they made his weak side-b horrible to where you always want to use the strong: which means you gotta kiss your control stick goodbye until they figure out how to make the input less demanding/strict

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey P:M Ivysaur Boards I may only have a couple of questions cus I just finished playing a party fest of P:M.

Can a SolarBeam be crouch canceled? I ask this because when I get edge-guarded so hard I have no way of recovering back with D-airs and DJ I'm always at that right place to solarbeam the opponent I wanna use it quickly so I can SBC next stock yet they're on ground not in the air so I wondered if one of Ivy's best moves couldn't get the kill on grounded players.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mean, at very low percents, probably, but, why wouldn't they just jump/roll away from that angle and avoid damage altogether? It's incredibly apparent when it's happening, as Ivysaur has a ton of startup on the move.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
question. i don't understand which projectiles razor leaf cancels out. some of them go straight through it and others get cancelled and it seems kind of random. any idea?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It should be the same ones you're able to interact with with any other moves.

A Falco laser doesn't have a hurtbox, as in, you can't hit it with an attack.

A Mario Fireball has a hurtbox, so you can hit it with an attack.

Razor Leaf should follow the same rules as every other attack in whether or not it interacts, so, just find out which moves are hittable.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What about them? They're pretty straightforward...

F-Smash angled down can hit some recoveries reasonably well. F-Smash in general also traps landing well. It's one of the only Smashes with only one frame between the charge frames and the first active frame.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Fsmash can be angled? Wow, the more you know. She seems to have a lot of options for hitting people hanging on the ledge. But it seems to me that Fsmash has rather poor knockback (is it stronger at the tip?) and all her smashes seem slow. But maybe I just play Mario too much...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Would definitely blame it on your Mario play. Her Smashes aren't especially fast, but D-Smash and U-Smash are above-average, for sure.

F-Smash doesn't have a sourspot, as far as I know. It's not weak, but it's not that strong, either. It just does what it needs to.

D

Deleted member

I've found that F-smash tends to hit people a lot more than it should. The huge range and the point at which the hitbox comes out after the charging animation messes with their timing and catches them off-guard. It's very laggy though, so don't get too comfortable using it, especially against somebody who is familiar with Ivysaur. You will get punished hard.

I like using D-smash at the ledge. It's got very nice speed and range and it hits them at a bad angle. Again, though, don't get too comfortable using it. The lag afterwards is pretty bad.

UpSmash is a solid smash all-around I'd say.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Today I was playing someone and I f-smashed and they hit my body as it flung itself forward (I think he was playing falcon or g&w) and they themselves were untouched. So I guess the hitbox is close to the hurtbox when fully extended, or something like that.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yes--She catapults her body toward the opponent, so it makes perfect sense that her hitbox and hurtbox would be very close together.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I don't like her f-smash. It is too easy to punish imo. I love the d-smash near the edge though. Especially against bowser, dk, and falcon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Does Ivysaur have frame data on her tech roll?

Just took a quick peek but didn't see anything besides roll dodge < / >, but i ask this because Ivysaur's tech roll in brawl was really smooth and quick it almost resembles exactly like PM Ivy's Techroll.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't think we have the frame data on it, but it is the same as in Brawl, which is among the highest distances covered, for sure.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hell yeah definitely! Despite Brawl speed being slow enough to notice Ivy's tech roll being so nice PM is much quicker but Ivy's Tech roll doesn't seem too behind on speed. The tech roll actually seems to match the speed and distance to PM ;)

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Recovering with Ivy, I found tonight that you can d-air stall even after tethering if you press down to release your tether. The timing is tight, and you have to remember not to hold down throughout the d-air, or you will lose height and it will be harder to recover. It's not going to be regularly useful against people that know how to edgeguard her, but it could be used as a mixup to get back to the stage. It's possible to use all three tethers in this way if you start far enough out away from the stage, or you can start by hanging and d-air to a further spot away from the stage to tether.

Fortress

Smash Master
Is that, like, a really hard-to-do tether cancel like Link would do? It sounds kind of similar, but, I don't know Ivy at all.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Is that, like, a really hard-to-do tether cancel like Link would do? It sounds kind of similar, but, I don't know Ivy at all.

No, Ivy's tether is much longer, and her dair pop's her up to more easily travel horizontally without losing height. Neither character can double jump if they drop from their tether, and Link falls much faster anyway. He has tether stalls of his own, though. If you hold the ledge, you can immediately let go and tether to refresh your invincibility. You can also tether three times with Link without ever shortening to the stage, but that's pretty useless.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yeah, I know the gist of Ivy's ROB-esque momentum aerials, being Uair and Dair, and Link's limits on his own tether (being a Link main and all). I was going to say that I don't know how I would feel if Ivy had a Link-ish tether cancel property lol

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what that is, but these aren't the Link boards, so I won't ask ;)

Edit: I think I know what you mean now, but I haven't messed with Link's tether much, so that may be the case. Feel free to elaborate if it's a comparison of Ivy and Link's tethers.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
You underestimate how ridiculous F-Air is and what it leads to..

I always have trouble following up F-air. That's why I usually opt for N-air to knock off stage but I don't want to miss out on using the move. What are good followup options at different percentages?

Fortress

Smash Master
I've seen crazy-stupid waveland-forward-off-platform-into-Fair kind of jankiness before. Works on stages like Dreamland, I assume. How you'd do that consistently, I'm not sure.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Um. Well. Buy follow-up I mean hitting a F-air and then hitting something else after that. I've seen F-air to B-air or F-air to N-air but I don't know what works when.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Air sends people straight up, so you should be able to combo off a hit with it all the time. It's really, really obnoxious.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Heard in PM 3.0 stream that Ivy is nerfed... didn't hear how though.
Just a rumor... I think.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Heard in PM 3.0 stream that Ivy is nerfed... didn't hear how though.
Just a rumor... I think.
When I got a chance to try out Mewtwo and Roy a few weeks ago, I played a match with Ivy to see if there were any differences. Only thing I could notice is that Fair seemed slower, other than that I couldn't tell any differences.

Tags

Smash Cadet
Are there any notes on what they'll be nerfing on ivysaur yet? If not, I'm predicting razor leaf will be nerfed so that it doesn't shield stun so much that it's a guaranteed grab, and obviously bair length.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Razorleaf...slower now to start...*sadness*...along with being crouch cancel-able.

Fortress

Smash Master
If my 'rang has to suffer, so does your leaf.

(which I can just stand in neutral position to block, anyway)

Wait, boomerang, suffering? Ha, not in my lifetime.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Rang found a nice balance in 2.6! I just hope razorleaf is still useful unlike its 2.5 counterpart =/.

Give Ivy a third victory pose!

Top Bottom