• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soft F-Air to Footstool Combo

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
So guys I did some labbing for about an hour and a half tonight on which characters the sour f-air -> footstool works on and how much of a threat they are. Characters like :4pacman: and :4sonic:, who have intangibility frame 1/2 I simply listed as NO because unless you are frame perfect, it's almost impossible to do it

If you haven't been taught / shown how to do this combo, it pretty much always comes off of a Focus Attack level 2 or 3. The combo goes as follows:
  1. Soft F-Air
  2. Jump (short hop at low percent, full hop at high percent)
  3. Footstool
  4. Fast-fall and instantly throw out F-Air
  5. Rinse and repeat
The opponent CAN influence where they go off of the footstool with DI but it is possible to follow it. The only problem is, due to Ryu's low air acceleration and mobility, you have to follow it pretty much instantly otherwise you'll land with a hard F-Air. This stops the combo.

Before I list all the percentages, credit to HoodedAltair HoodedAltair for finding the combo.

Sour F-Air to Footstool Combo

A list of characters it works on and their threat level in regards to interrupting it.

:4bowser:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4bowserjr:: Works properly from 15%, no threat to combo
:4falcon:: Works properly from 30%, no threat to combo
:4charizard:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4cloud:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4diddy:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4dk:: Works from 0%, Frame 3-6 invincible UpB. Pretty big threat but you can still perform the combo.
:4drmario:: Works from 0%, threat to combo due to a frame 3 N-Air. You must be consistent.
:4duckhunt:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4falco:: Works from 20%, no threat to combo
:4fox:: Works from 45%, no threat to combo
:4ganondorf:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4greninja:: Works from 30%, no threat to combo but a little awkward because of short stature
:4myfriends:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4jigglypuff:: Works from 0% but extremely awkward and stops working pretty early. Our ability to kill her at 60% and earlier make it not worth trying, in my opinion.
:4dedede:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4kirby:: Same as Jigglypuff Link: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4littlemac:: Works from 0%, N-Air is frame 2 and a large threat to the combo
:4link:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4lucario:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4luigi:: Works from 0%, frame 3 N-Air is a VERY awkward hitbox and is a big threat to the combo
:4mario:: Works from 0%, frame 3 N-Air and UpB is very dangerous to the combo. Must be pretty much frame-perfect.
:4marth:/ :4lucina:: Works from 0%, invicible UpB from frame 4 is a threat so you must be careful
:4megaman:: Works from 0%, invincible UpB is frame 7 so a very slight threat to the combo
:4metaknight:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4mewtwo:: Works from 0%, no threat but stops working around 50%. Not worth it in my opinion.
:4gaw:: Doesn't work due to invincible frame 2 UpB.
:4ness: / :4lucas:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4olimar:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4pacman:: Doesn't work due to frame 1 invincible UpB.
:4palutena:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4peach:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4pikachu:: Works from 0%, massive threat to combo in frame 1 Thunder. Only use against low-level players who don't know how to mash Down-B like a pro. ;)
:4pit: / :4darkpit:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4rob:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4robinm: / :4robinf:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:rosalina:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo other that Luma but it's no problem.
:4feroy:: Works from 0%, minor threat in super armour UpB
:4ryu:: Works from 0%, TSRK can be a threat but it's very awkward as he is turned around
:4samus:: Works from 0%, frame 3 invincible UpB is a threat
:4sheik:: Works from 0%, minor threat in frame 3 invincible Bouncing Fish but it's easier to trap than other frame 3 moves.
:4shulk:: Works from 0%, Shulkified Shulkified came to the conclusion that the Shield Art and Smash Art affect the combo. Still worth doing as the Shulk player might not realise this. Something to keep in mind, though.
:4sonic:: Doesn't work due to frame 2 invincible UpB (**** Sonic)
:4tlink:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4villager: / :4villagerf:: Works from 0%, frame 3 N-Air can be a threat so you should be careful
:4wario:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4wiifit: / :4wiifitm:: Works from 45%, no threat but not worth it in my opinion
:4yoshi:: Works from 0%, minor threat in frame 3 N-Air
:4zelda:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo
:4zss:: Works from 0%, invincibility on Flip Kick is a threat so you must lab this more.
:4miibrawl:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo*
:4miigun:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo*
:4miisword:: Works from 0%, no threat to combo*

*All Mii fighters were set to a default size

That's it folks! Hope this helps you all and you get down the combo. I will edit in both :4bayonetta: and :4corrin:/:4corrinf: when they come out. It is highly unlikely that Bayonetta will be able to get herself out because she seems very slow on startup but Corrin may be able to, depending on the speed of her special moves.

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Very good information and testing. Thank you

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you got a lot of information here. This is really useful. Thanks man.

oc0267

Smash Rookie
DK's aerial Spinning Kong and its frame 3-6 invincibility though.

Shulkified

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boiled23
I've done some testing on Shulk with Monado Arts. The only arts that make any difference are Smash and Shield art. Shield art gets him out of the combo due to less knockback and less hitstun (he takes less damage, therefore less hitstun), and he takes too much knockback to be comboed in Smash art.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I've done some testing on Shulk with Monado Arts. The only arts that make any difference are Smash and Shield art. Shield art gets him out of the combo due to less knockback and less hitstun (he takes less damage, therefore less hitstun), and he takes too much knockback to be comboed in Smash art.
Thanks for the info! Will edit it in now :)

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Good find! I've been experimenting with Fair stuff recently and figured that you could do footstool stuff out of it. Just never bothered to experiment.

Speaking of which, what combos does Ryu really have out of footstools?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Good find! I've been experimenting with Fair stuff recently and figured that you could do footstool stuff out of it. Just never bothered to experiment.

Speaking of which, what combos does Ryu really have out of footstools?
Anything related to Focus Attack (which is an absolute ****ton) and continuing footstools. It is just another option to do a ton of damage which is ALWAYS a great thing.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Sounds pretty kewl. Imma try it out.
*edit: have you tested any of it Vs a friend?

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
It worked good on Bowser, but it was harder on D3 (smaller window).
Like I said, it isn't an easy tech that you can do the first time of trying. I listed every character because I made sure, 100%, that you could do it on every character. It is up to you guys to practice on the specific matchups to give you a hand when you are playing any person.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Like I said, it isn't an easy tech that you can do the first time of trying. I listed every character because I made sure, 100%, that you could do it on every character. It is up to you guys to practice on the specific matchups to give you a hand when you are playing any person.
Every character? Through my testing it has not worked 0-death on every character

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Every character? Through my testing it has not worked 0-death on every character
When I say every character, I mean you can F-Air to Footstool at least ONCE. Characters like Mac, Pac and Sonic avoid it because of their aerial tools.

What characters couldn't you 0-death on?

Last edited:

oc0267

Smash Rookie
Just saying, a majority of airdodges come out frame 3-4... So really anybody can be able to escape. Also, ideally, you will be able to get 2-3max on someone, since a good player WILL figure out that all they need to do is guess the best DI (between away, no DI, and toward ryu), especially when opponents become footstooled at around a full hop height. This will make the ryu GUESS DI, since the most practically to move back after a footstool is by holding back during the footstool animation (i.e. you have no visual cue on the opposing DI, even with godlike reaction time). Just do the "infinite" around 2-3 times (max), settle with that 16-24 damage, and convert to one of his several combo extenders (nair, dair, uptilt past fair; dair,nair (potentially a jablock) past the footstool)

Thanks to those who take this into consideration.

Top Bottom