• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
what's the melbourne cup again

i spent today turning up to a non-existent exam and reading badly translated light novels

also inb4 somebody calls star king out for hitting on me

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
yeah i know - i read your facebook status

the melbourne cup is the race that stops the nation. it didn't stop you, therefore, you're not part of our nation.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
one could argue that i would not want to be part of a nation which drops absolutely everything to watch the hilariously ironic sport of horse-whipping

it's ironic because whipping animals for no reason other than acclaim is describable as barbaric, whereas it's still considered 'high class'

The Star King

Smash Hero
rofl wat Australia are you serious

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at a wrestling fan supporting that kind of thing though

Also aa are you free for dinner on Friday?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i actually am free and it is conceivable i could make it to springfield by then

i would make a joke about spooning here but to be honest it's not my thing (both that sort of joke and the concept of spooning)

just know that i did indeed consider taking the joke to its illogical conclusion for funsies

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Sorry im not in the know, but why is this a bad thing. Screen lag? Is it that noticeable?
Yes HDTVs lag. I've never encountered an HDTV that didn't lag at all (compared to an old school TV).

It's very noticeable if you're used to a TV with no lag. You can adapt to it obviously (it's like the lag playing online, just no lag spikes).

The Star King

Smash Hero
Some are worse than others, but all of them have some sort of frame delay.

I got my Raphnet adapter but not my Hori yet so I am using a Gamecube controller for now. Might be just playing CPUs for a little while.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
My HDTV doesn't lag when playing console N64.
It does, but some are hardly noticeable.

I thought my HDTV didn't lag, but then had a pro Melee player over and he said it lagged and was noticeable. Nothing beats a CRT.

Somebody needs to develop some sort of HDMI connector so we can play lag-free. I'm not even sure of the science behind that or if that would even work?

M!nt

Smash Champion
So does playing ssb on the computer have screen lag as well, considering a computer monitor can output in HD?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Oh is that what makes it lag? the conversion from SD -> HD? I didnt think HDTVs would upscale composite.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I don't think emulator lags. It outputs at whatever resolution you want, and is designed differently (for better) to avoid the scaling process, which like you mentioned, creates the lag.

The N64 outputs at 240p, and an HDTV upscales that to 720p/1080p, which is a pretty big jump, creating lag. There's no way to get around this without purchasing extra hardware (and even then, that's not a perfect solution).

ballin4life

Smash Hero
My HDTV doesn't lag when playing console N64.
how do you know? have you played side by side with an old TV? I know my TV (which isn't even HD lol) lags just a little bit, but it's only noticeable if I switch from a nonlaggy TV directly to it.

So does playing ssb on the computer have screen lag as well, considering a computer monitor can output in HD?
it doesn't feel 100% right to me, but that might just be imperfections in my controller adapter

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Consider yourself lucky, then. As far as I've witnessed, it's seemingly random how much an HDTV lags. I have a tiny 720p that lags badly, but my roommate's 1080p hardly lags at all (I don't notice it).

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the reason hd tv's lag is not because you are going from sd to hd, but because you are converting an analog signal to a digital signal.

:phone:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
It does, but some are hardly noticeable.

I thought my HDTV didn't lag, but then had a pro Melee player over and he said it lagged and was noticeable. Nothing beats a CRT.

Somebody needs to develop some sort of HDMI connector so we can play lag-free. I'm not even sure of the science behind that or if that would even work?
the video connection needs to go from analog to digital one way or the other(hdtv's have built in upscalars), so there will be lag on HDTV's if you try to play on a genuine console.

i myself have dabbled in rgb modding a n64 and found its only worth it if you have a european hdtv or a ridiculously priced upscaler; and even then, the n64's you can rgb mod will output analog rgb which is still processed to a digital signal unless you use (AGAIN) a CRT RGB monitor.

TL;DR most likely will not work.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
So the solution? BUY A CRT (but not an HD CRT!)

I figured it wouldn't work... wishful thinking...

AT LEAST THERE'S STILL THIS

All you need is a couple thousand dollars and you can enjoy gaming (almost) lag-free!

M!nt

Smash Champion
I haven't tried side-by-side, but if it does lag, it's definitely less than 1 frame (i.e. less than 1/60th of a second).
I cant wrap my head around something being less than one frame. It just blows my mind for some reason. lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
So the solution? BUY A CRT (but not an HD CRT!)

I figured it wouldn't work... wishful thinking...

AT LEAST THERE'S STILL THIS

All you need is a couple thousand dollars and you can enjoy gaming (almost) lag-free!
who buys a crt?

in melbourne when the guys needed an extra one we would walk down the street to find one of the thousands who just leave them on the side of the street for people to take =D

DMoogle

A$
So, big news for people with money stuck on Full Tilt Poker. An French investment group called Groupe Bernard Tapie (GBT) has been seriously looking at buying FTP for the past several weeks, and they released a public statement (the first investor group to do so) saying that they intended on purchasing it as long as negotiations with the DOJ went well.

A statement was released yesterday saying that the negotiations have ended positively, and another statement was released by GBT that the final papers should be signed within 15 days. They're to basically write a $150M check for the DOJ to distribute to all U.S. players, and it looks like the the rest of the world's players are going to have an option to either cash out or become a FTP shareholder (or just leave their money on FTP and continue playing).

So, WOOHOO!

Top Bottom