• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
maafiabro said:
It's cause the N64 controller deck/reader is dirty/old, so it registers the remote as unplugged, then re-plugged, so the last input the jiggs player held, it'll keep it there untill fixed
For example, hold right, plug in ur remote, let go of right, the character will go left untill fixed, an easy solution is:
Clean your control Deck
If ur remote gets uncalibrated, press L, R, And START at the same time to reset the controller analog/joystick
here ya go buddy

Studstill

Smash Ace
Testing:
Caneut, a response to your opinions on my age and 'cartoons':
I have read a few books on intelligence, it is my belief you are lacking in that department. While I grieve for the burden everyday life must place on one with this condition, commonly referred to as being 'stupid as ****' by laypeople, I will not abide the wrongness of asserting opinions not formed with the merit of intellectual reasoning.
Some background, for you: 'Cartoons' usually refer to animation for children`s shows, but not to all animation in general. Also, I`m unaware of any studies published that would back up your sick 'ideas' on how old people should be to do certain things. I`d accuse you of being a fascist, but that would probably be unfair as you cannot possibly have thought out the implications of such an attitude having, again in my belief, a total lack of the faculties that enable such non-trivial analysis.
While I do thank you for your time in writing, and the effort to make friends online is a great way to meet people more on your level of IQ, perhaps when a topic you know nothing about comes up, where no party involved has addressed you at all, isn`t the best place to showcase your inability to think well.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I only read a thesaurus once, for about 15 seconds in elementary school. It`s like a cliff notes for thinking, pshhhaw.
Steven, boo; call me.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
thanks for playing, fellas. some videos can be found on fireblaster's stream, umbra's, and kabal's.

bracket: http://challonge.com/FriNight
Supreme Champion: Fireblaster
Worthy Adversary: Kimimaru
Maybe Next Time: Kabal
4th place: Cobr
5th place tie: Near
ducky
7th place tie: Umbra
Roman
9th place tie: knitephox
Saltsizzle
Kahnu
Grod
13th place tie: compatible
Annex
Bassic

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
1,337 dollar moneymatch studstill
me 99 stocks
you 1 stock
i play kirby you play mario
deal?
deal.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Last night bomb and vwls were over playing ssb with me and my roommate damien, me and bomb (double jiggs) vs damien and vwls (double samus)

we were getting wrecked and after a legit spike kill bomb sighs and mutters "these damn metroids"

I lost my **** and damien laughed so hard he lost 3 stocks and bomb had no idea what was so funny

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You know, I always see people talking about how melee is so much harder to play than 64 and that it requires so much more tech skill. That line of thought always gets me thinking a little bit about several things.

Like how we have to destroy our joysticks to bounce off of a wall and maybe survive an edgeguard, but they only have to push a button to tech the ledge, cancel all momentum, and instantly be able to act.

Like how they can control the angle they're sent flying at just by holding the joystick while we still have to destroy our joysticks to wiggle around enough to escape a combo.

Like how we have to memorize specific jump techniques or practice weird timings with characters like fox shine, yoshi and ness double jump, etc. just to get perfect landing on platforms while they get to use this thing with a huge margin of error called a wavedash.

Like how the magnets on their ledges are bigger and allow bigger range to ledgegrab.

Like how their ledge invincibility actually stays after they let go of the edge, making it easier to ledgestall.

Like how they have this magical yellow stick on their controllers that acts as a complex and context sensitive macro that does the following:
  • while shielding it acts as an input buffer for rolling left or right, making it easier to escape shield pressure
  • Is also an input buffer for spot dodging, making it easier to escape shield pressure
  • Is also an input buffer for shield jumping, making it easier to escape shield pressure
  • Automatic smash DI just by holding it
  • Smash attacks on the ground
  • aerials while in the air without controlling momentum and regardless of direction of regular joystick (fastfall uairs take zero practice)
  • allows any smash attack to be done while crouch cancelling
Like how on most of their moves with knockback, it even gives them 20 frames of input buffering for a jump immediately after escaping hitstun.

But alas, Melee has a harder shield drop and their Lcancelling windows is 4 frames shorter so melee requires much more tech skill than 64.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
I mostly agree but it's kinda bull**** to pretend like you're representing both sides with that last sentence
Melee claims a higher amount of tech skill for more than just its shield drops and lcancelling, while you've exhaustively listed every tech in 64

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
It's not just L-canceling and shield drops.

Fox and Falco's waveshine and shine OoS are harder to do than 99% of moves in this game, and those are basic options in Melee. I don't consider mashing a control stick to be indicative of a technical player (though it does require a level of tech skill lots of melee players don't have). @meowmeowrainbowkitty has some of the best DI I've seen, but I wouldn't call him technical.

Neutral-b moves in Melee require more precision than neutral-b moves in this game because of the existence of side-b. I don't know if you watch Melee, Javi, but how many times has a Fox/Falco illusioned off the ledge instead of lasered or a Sheik player pull out the chain instead of using the needle to turn around? Tons. The highest level of players still do that in melee sometimes.

Maliki

Smash Ace
Yo whats up guys!
I haven't played this game in months
Idk why
I'm going to smack you all around on the B-ball court at apex though
@clubbadubba you don't want it!
Everyone train hard!!!

Sedda

Smash Champion
I don't know why it's hard to accept that Melee is technically more difficult than 64. If you're seeing some Melee players flapping their wings about it, just ignore them Javi.

Part of the reason why I enjoy playing 64 a lot more is because it's not as technically demanding... It's just about perfect (with the exception of Z cancelling). Melee is unnecessarily technical at times, but it's not like Nintendo had any of that in mind.

Still a lot of fun to watch tho

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I mostly agree but it's kinda bull**** to pretend like you're representing both sides with that last sentence
Melee claims a higher amount of tech skill for more than just its shield drops and lcancelling, while you've exhaustively listed every tech in 64
All right man, just tell me what GENERAL tech in melee makes it harder than 64. I'm all ears.

It's not just L-canceling and shield drops.

Fox and Falco's waveshine and shine OoS are harder to do than 99% of moves in this game
Tech that belongs to two characters? Am I allowed to call 64 the hardest game because legit Ness 0-to-death combos are harder than 99% of combos in melee?
Also, waveshining is really easy.

Neutral-b moves in Melee require more precision than neutral-b moves in this game because of the existence of side-b. I don't know if you watch Melee, Javi, but how many times has a Fox/Falco illusioned off the ledge instead of lasered or a Sheik player pull out the chain instead of using the needle to turn around? Tons. The highest level of players still do that in melee sometimes.
I tend to watch most of the major melee events. In top level play this year, I've maybe seen that happen once or twice? And one of them was done by Mango against M2K. I haven't even seen anyone do this in my local region of competition for melee. I think you're heavily exaggerating on this point.

I don't know why it's hard to accept that Melee is technically more difficult than 64. If you're seeing some Melee players flapping their wings about it, just ignore them Javi.

Part of the reason why I enjoy playing 64 a lot more is because it's not as technically demanding... It's just about perfect (with the exception of Z cancelling). Melee is unnecessarily technical at times, but it's not like Nintendo had any of that in mind.

Still a lot of fun to watch tho
It just seems to me that people love taking space animals and pushing a lot of buttons fast as an excuse to say that melee is miles ahead of everything in tech skill. Whereas with every other tech and every other character, all their inputs are literally easier because their game has more lenient mechanics in other areas and their controller has a little yellow nub that solves a lot of their input problems.

Oh but two characters can push two buttons (shine and jump) really fast!!! I swear 64 had a character like that...

Last edited:

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Mango illusioned off the stage last stock against Armada at MLG and lost the set. It doesn't matter how many times it happened because it CAN happen in Melee to the best in the world, and we don't have to worry about in 64. If you're using any character and you accidentally do a side-b because you pushed the control stick a little too far, you can get punished.

How about wavelanding from the ledge? People constantly die from that in Melee because it's hard to do. They do it though because the invincible frames (for some characters) or the speed you get back up is worth it. How about pivoting? Pivoting is ridiculously harder in Melee compared to 64. Teching in general has tighter timing. If you punish a missed tech in Melee, that's all in the game. If you punish a missed tech in 64, you're probably playing a scrub who doesn't know how to tech. The timing for Pikachu's up-b is way less forgiving. Yoshi's movement options are way harder. This is just off the top of my head.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Fox and Falco's waveshine and shine OoS are harder to do than 99% of moves in this game, and those are basic options in Melee.
No way... I don't agree that these are "harder than 99%" of 64 at all. What the hell.

I do think Melee is more difficult technically though.

Last edited:

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
What's harder? Teleport upsmash maybe. Pikachu's completely horizontal/vertical up-b. Shield-drop fastfall uair I guess is harder to do. There's not many things.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
kero said you're a scrub, solo
specifically: "
You made me seem like a prick

Make sure he knows it's about the fast fall up air
"

he got banned though

so you win

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
there's no way he's permabanned, but he get his second permapoint, so that points him one point closer to it

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Mango illusioned off the stage last stock against Armada at MLG and lost the set. It doesn't matter how many times it happened because it CAN happen in Melee to the best in the world, and we don't have to worry about in 64. If you're using any character and you accidentally do a side-b because you pushed the control stick a little too far, you can get punished.

How about wavelanding from the ledge? People constantly die from that in Melee because it's hard to do. They do it though because the invincible frames (for some characters) or the speed you get back up is worth it. How about pivoting? Pivoting is ridiculously harder in Melee compared to 64. Teching in general has tighter timing. If you punish a missed tech in Melee, that's all in the game. If you punish a missed tech in 64, you're probably playing a scrub who doesn't know how to tech. The timing for Pikachu's up-b is way less forgiving. Yoshi's movement options are way harder. This is just off the top of my head.
Maybe its just that since there are an order of magnitude more players in melee, there are an order of magnitude more BAD players, so you see stupid **** happen more often

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
you dont know much about 64 then.

You know every character has a 2 frame parry called a shield jump right? And our top players actually use it consistently and effectively. Just one of the many things fireblaster didnt mention

Maybe its just that since there are an order of magnitude more players in melee, there are an order of magnitude more BAD players, so you see stupid **** happen more often
ban this spamming double poster ******

-im joking

Last edited:
Top Bottom