• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

MattNF

Smash Lord
Looks like Near got beaten with a stupid stick. Boxxy? Really? You're not even greentexting right either.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
so did anyone fall into the apple trap once again and bought the sh¡tty ipad?

btw this is the next apple product thats gonna be released, new apple iCar!

Performance: 30% less than a normal car
Features & equipment: much less than a normal car
Price: way too overpriced

but hey its made by apple! and looks kewl (subjective opinions) so we must all buy it! =)

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
There are radio stations that pick up and send messages to radio devices that were left on the moon when we landed there... I don't see how there's any debate
Really? Proof? I've honestly never heard that one before.

My favourite April fools joke was the announcement that Labour's new election strategy for the pending general election would be portraying Gordon Brown as a no-nonsense hard man.

The article included suggestions that Brown would "sort out" David Cameron, the posh **** who is the leader of the opposition, the Conservatives. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I got another infraction for "minor spam" with the post about me talking about that other infraction

how was that even spam lol :(

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Normally, when there's an argument like this, I try to avoid making a post related to it... but I mean come on guys... seriously. Is this really necessary? I don't care if you think Near's posts are dumb or not. I don't care if you think s2j is trolling him too much or not. What is there to gain by flaming each other? All you are doing (both of you) is making yourselves look stupid. If you were to simply ignore the post and make a post not even related to the flame towards you... what could be so bad about that?

This goes for all feuds between two (or more) people. Why not try to ignore the post. Even if you hate the other person and would prefer to see them dead (I hope this is not the case for anyone), just ignore their posts, and save the rest of the 64 boards from having to read an unnecessary argument.

I'll be blatantly honest with you guys (sorry if it upsets some of you... but someone has to say it eventually). The more I read posts in the 64 boards, the more I can understand why the admins don't want to give us our own section. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the people most involved/interested in getting our own section... but that said, I'll list some reasons why I think we may not be getting our section, in the hopes that if we solve that, we can increase our chances.

1. Flame wars, trolling, etc.

I know this is a dumb reason... but, well, if we do end up with our own section, and all we do is flame each other, flame new posters, troll the 64 section, etc... well, having a section dedicated to flaming is not what the admins want. Why don't we try to reduce (preferably eliminate, but realistically reduce) the amount of flaming on others (I'm guilty of this to some degree as well... as is everyone who posts here). If you hate a post made by someone, if all you are going to do is flame that person, just don't post. Helpful criticism (even help in how to post on smashboards) is better than an outright flamefest with said person. So please, can we try to reduce the flaming here?

Also, for the sake of the rest of the 64 community... those not involved in the argument really are not interested in why person A thinks person B is an idiot... that's not why we come to the 64 section.

2. Community is too small

I know we can give countless reasons as to why the 64 community is small... but... well, we aren't helping in any way. 90% of new posters in the 64 forums get flamed to the point where they don't want to post here anymore. So if someone posts a "dumb" question (as in dumb to us... e.g. why is ness so low on the tier list), if you are going to flame, just don't post at all. Let someone else explain (maybe for the 100th time) the reasons. If we seem helpful and friendly, we'll have more new people who are willing to continue posting.

Also, on that same topic, if someone new does post, remember that they are new, and they may not know many of the advanced topics (maybe puff's teleport, maybe Fox's shine cancel, maybe even short-hopping). Not everyone who posts here is a competitive smasher, and that should not be a requirement to post here either. So if there is a new person that makes "dumb" threads or "dumb" posts (once again, dumb meaning common knowledge to us type thing), if you are going to flame, just don't, and let someone else respond instead.

3. We don't have enough sub-forums to make it worth it

Ok, obviously, we all know that this is not really the case, and that we could easily get 3, maybe 4 sub-forums. Admins probably don't know this... but... well, this, in my opinion, is not much of a problem. We can simply let them know what they could include as sub-forums.

4. 64 is dead. There are no competitive tournaments for it anymore.

Well... once again, we know that this is not entirely true. Sure, melee and brawl may both have 100 times the amount of people than 64, but it's not dead. Though having very few people posting in the 64 boards really doesn't help our cause. I guess the best way to change this misconception is by increasing the number of posters... which means getting new posters... which basically goes back to #2. Also, having more 64 in-person tournaments helps our cause by a lot as well. Even if it's a 10 person tourney within a 100 person melee tourney... at least having the 10 person 64 tourney gives us exposure to others, who may end up wanting to try it out.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. Remember, I'm on your side, and am trying to help improve the 64 forums. If we all work on reducing our flaming on each other, I think we can help our own cause by a long shot.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
...Blue Yoshi for mod.

@point 1: No arguments here.

@point 2: It should be changed to 'dedicated community', as there are plenty of people who play the game, but do not care for it as much as Melee or Brawl. Those who do prefer 64 above its successors don't go out and promote it as much as they could (plenty of reasons for this, but the occasional mention of the comp scene would be good).

@point 3: Full agreement, one character forum and possible a video forum in addition to what we have.

@point 4: If somebody who played two (or all) of the smash games (incl 64 of course) and hosted a tourney, putting emphasis on the 64 part would be quite likely to attract newcomers. VC Smash would be helpful in this aspect. If we could just get people going to Melee/Brawl tourneys to bring a 64 setup (or just a Wii with VC Smash), it would contribute.

earthadept

Smash Lord
In Michigan we're starting to pretty regularly have little 64 side tournies. It took me a couple months but people are finally starting to do it :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Here, after I advertised 64 for months, we eventually had an even number of entrants between 64, melee, and brawl. But then, all the 64 players slowly stopped playing (partly because they went back to their former game more than 64, partly because they got bored of it, partly because they didn't want to play me and lose :( ). So... at one point, I did have a large-ish 64 community in Victoria, but since then, people have slowly stopped playing :(

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I've used the report button quite often for useless posts (usually for those "hey valued customer, buy a wonderful phone" or something like that). But I have occasionally used it for dumb posts made by people here that... well... for example, have a lot of *'s in it (over 80% of the post).

Skrlx

Smash Champion
well i got infracts all over my account and i ended up looking like that immature ******* that rages and "jocks" 4chan troll methods (according to Lovage) out of trying to defend myself.

I've said a lot of things to get this place going (like Blue Yoshi) and all I get is a decent amount of supporters and then those *******s that just crap on me with things of the past or personal hatred and in the end i look like this total douchebag thanks to them so I guess the man for the job is Blue Yoshi.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Near, that goes back to my #1 in my post above. I've been trolled and flamed by people here (and on kaillera). I just either laugh it off and ignore it, or change the subject. Saves me from having to deal with an argument where I'm one of the parties involved.

Not to point a finger at you... but a way that might help your cause. If someone flames you, or says something mean to you, just ignore it, or respond to someone else instead. That way, the more the troller/flamer flames you, the worse they look, and their posts end up being ignored by everyone, and you won't look like an idiot in the process. If you respond back by flaming, you're reducing yourself to their level.

Just some advice that works for me, and will probably work for you :)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
yeah i do that and it works but in this case, we are trying to build reputable people for being moderator and then you get a single person who dislikes you, states biased reasons about why you aren't fit for mod stating things that happen in Kaillera etc and then people start bandwagoning and you slowly are being viewed as this horrible person.

"NEAR BANNED HIM? O WHAT? ABUUUUSE"

example: My mod thread where everything was going fine and had a lot of supporters until Unknown started posting lies

D

Deleted member

yeah i do that and it works but in this case, we are trying to build reputable people for being moderator and then you get a single person who dislikes you, states biased reasons about why you aren't fit for mod stating things that happen in Kaillera etc and then people start bandwagoning and you slowly are being viewed as this horrible person.

"NEAR BANNED HIM? O WHAT? ABUUUUSE"

example: My mod thread where everything was going fine and had a lot of supporters until Unknown started posting lies
get a grip

--

Blue Yoshi is on the verge of becoming a mod.. pretty sure

---

so smash 64 is finally getting a mod, mission accomplished!!!!!! (unless its near)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Can we officially nominate him somehow, because Blue Yoshi (and JaimeHR) both almost became mods through support by the community like 4 months back, but nothing happened and nobody followed up on it.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Should I make a nomination thread

Someone post here people who you think should be nominated
I include Blue Yoshi, JaimeHR, and who else?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Blue Yoshi has lots of support, so I'll go ahead and nominate him.

JaimeHR seemed to be quite friendly, but he wasn't on much and I don't think he wanted mod too much either.

Top Bottom