• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This ain't Pokemon's first rodeo when it comes to incompatibility

Reminder that Pokemon from Gen 2 were not transferable to Gen 3 at all.

And I'm pretty sure a similar outrage happened, albeit on a much smaller scale...
Eh, to be fair that was because of legit hardware limitations. The gba physically could not connect with the gameboy.

The Switch is more than capable. This is more of a case of Gamefreak deciding they don’t feel like handling over 1000 Pokémon in one game.

People can complain about no national dex and push for the games to have more stuff and whatnot all they want.

Just don't sue me when I end up loving the games since the trailers already made me like it.

Also I finished Minish Cap and we need Ezlo in Smash.
Ayyy this

I think it looks like a ton of fun, and it’s delivered on several things I really wanted.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh no, manuela got knocked the **** out

that picks her off the waifu list

and hello catherine how you doin tonight

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While on Pokémon, I made this last generation and thought to share this: A chart showing off all used type combinations

Type combos.png

Here's what's been done so far in Sword & Shield

Dark/Fairy - Impidimp
Poison/Fairy - Galarian Weezing
Electric/Dark - Morpeko

Worth noting that the Pokéstar Studios opponent F-00 from B2W2 is Steel/Normal type

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hey, we're arguing over Pokemon again, woo hoo.

But taking away the National Dex issue, the game looks... alright. Nothing too special about it, but not a lot wrong. The graphics don't even look bad tbh, idk where everyone's getting that from. The animations... need some work for some of them.

I will admit though, the footage at E3 was... why?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
pokemon doesnt look bad

but it could definitely be leagues better

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey, we're arguing over Pokemon again, woo hoo.

But taking away the National Dex issue, the game looks... alright. Nothing too special about it, but not a lot wrong. The graphics don't even look bad tbh, idk where everyone's getting that from. The animations... need some work for some of them.

I will admit though, the footage at E3 was... why?
You know what else looks alright? Nothing too special about it?

YOUR MOM

That’s right, I’m a gamer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While on Pokémon, I made this last generation and thought to share this: A chart showing off all used type combinations

View attachment 234444

Dark/Fairy - Impidimp
Electric/Dark - Morpeko

Worth noting that the Pokéstar Studios opponent F-00 from B2W2 is Steel/Normal type
Considering how we only have 15 or so Pokemon who we know the types of, that's actually impressive.

I hope we get more unique combinations in the future.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

View attachment 234444

Dark/Fairy - Impidimp
Electric/Dark - Morpeko

From what I heard, Fighting/Ground would be a pretty powerful type, I wonder what Pokémon they could do for that?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As a Pokémon fan that has collected every single species, evolution, form, and what not...the national Dex issue just doesn’t bother me as much as it does other people. The fact that there were so many Pokémon was, to me, the quintessential Pokémon series “elephant in the room”, if you will. I don’t know that I completely see the connection of the PR speak, however, at some point something has to give.

Does it suck that “Gotta catch em all!” Doesn’t really apply anymore? Sure. Does it make Sword and Shield a bad game? Absolutely not. It’s nice to collect every single Pokémon, but my gripes have always been with post-game content. I want side missions. I want more to do after the story is over. I loved the Delta Episode of ORAS because it seemed like a side quest. I’d much rather have that content if it meant losing out on some Pokémon.

I want more to do with the Pokémon I have. I don’t want to collect all the new ones and have nothing to do with them.

Granted, that’s one opinion of many. I don’t use every single Pokémon, as I focus on ones I like and competitively viable ones (I don’t even play comp), but I want a reason to continue playing Pokémon aside from grinding in the Elite 4 for hours to get my Pokémon to level 100.

*Awaits confusion when folks realize I don’t have the Cap avi anymore*

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Kalos has the largest Pokedex out of every Pokemon game to date, having 457/721 Pokemon. Despite this, many people consider it to be one of the weakest entries in the series, if not the worst.
This comparison really doesn't work. All of the Pokémon were still obtainable through transferring so the Dex wasn't even something to factor in. This is moving the goalpost.

There are plenty of factors that make a good Pokemon game aside from the number of Pokemon present, many of which haven't even been brought up yet for SwSh. If you're someone who's willing to label SwSh as the worst game in the series this early, then you're either someone who wasn't that interested in it to begin with, or someone who's actively hoping it fails and disappoints everyone.
Alternatively, I'm someone who realizes they have no business selling this game for sixty bucks with an incomplete Dex when forty dollar 3DS games can have every Pokémon. No need to make baseless claims.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I play Pokémon for story, lore, and worldbuilding purposes.

I know, I’m an abomination.

But on that front Galar’s lookin pretty good.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As a Pokémon fan that has collected every single species, evolution, form, and what not...the national Dex issue just doesn’t bother me as much as it does other people. The fact that there were so many Pokémon was, to me, the quintessential Pokémon series “elephant in the room”, if you will. I don’t know that I completely see the connection of the PR speak, however, at some point something has to give.

Does it suck that “Gotta catch em all!” Doesn’t really apply anymore? Sure. Does it make Sword and Shield a bad game? Absolutely not. It’s nice to collect every single Pokémon, but my gripes have always been with post-game content. I want side missions. I want more to do after the story is over. I loved the Delta Episode of ORAS because it seemed like a side quest. I’d much rather have that content if it meant losing out on some Pokémon.

I want more to do with the Pokémon I have. I don’t want to collect all the new ones and have nothing to do with them.

Granted, that’s one opinion of many. I don’t use every single Pokémon, as I focus on ones I like and competitively viable ones (I don’t even play comp), but I want a reason to continue playing Pokémon aside from grinding in the Elite 4 for hours to get my Pokémon to level 100.

*Awaits confusion when folks realize I don’t have the Cap avi anymore*
I mean, good post but

Who the hell are you?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Alternatively, I'm someone who realizes they have no business selling this game for sixty bucks with an incomplete Dex when forty dollar 3DS games can have every Pokémon. No need to make baseless claims.
Dude, c'mon. No offense, but you should know that's a crummy way to look at things.

Yes, it sucks that you can't carry over every Pokemon. We've established that. But is it enough to warrant slashing the price down to $50 or $40 because of it? No, not really. We're getting a entirely new region, with new characters, new Pokemon, a new story, new music, and graphics that are, while not very impressive compared to other modern games, still a huge improvement from the previous set of games, Sun and Moon.

The kind of argument you're making is better-suited for something like the Let's Go! games. Not Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In Smash-related news, as the Sword & Shield talk comes down to what you all consider worth your money, this came up on 4chan (which is posting a lot of negativity to Edelgard in 3 Houses threads, which is quite lol worthy):
60C4A4CD-2407-418C-9E02-1BFB1D0BA6D5.jpeg

Apparently, the idea is that there are 3 slots, which implies that either a character will have skins with different voice actors/actresses, or that it’s a bonus character.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
tfw the 3ds can handle 800+ pokemon but the switch can't handle these totally new animations and HD graphics

:emptysheep: /s

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hypothetically speaking, I'd say it depends on what SWSH brings to the table. Digimon Cyber Sleuth for instance had less Digimon available then its DS counterparts, but it has much better gameplay, content, story, presentation, characters, and so on that the loss in certain favorites was more then made up for. So I would say in its case that not only was it the superior product, it more then justified the increase in price despite what was lost in the transition. If SWSH does the same thing, then one inferior aspect (albeit, a notable one) shouldn't doom it to be automatically worse then its predecessors, what it could bring to the table may be worth the (potentially temporary) loss.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

View attachment 234444

Dark/Fairy - Impidimp
Electric/Dark - Morpeko

So no Dragon/Bug or Dragon/Electric?

I'm pretty sure those could be things :yoshi:

Noipoi

Howdy!
In Smash-related news, as the Sword & Shield talk comes down to what you all consider worth your money, this came up on 4chan (which is posting a lot of negativity to Edelgard, which is quite lol worthy):
View attachment 234450
Apparently, the idea is that there are 3 slots, which implies that either a character will have skins with different voice actors/actresses, or that it’s a bonus character.

Discuss.
Mate, we’ve established this.

It’s Bub and Bob. They’re the bonus characters.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In Smash-related news, as the Sword & Shield talk comes down to what you all consider worth your money, this came up on 4chan (which is posting a lot of negativity to Edelgard in 3 Houses threads, which is quite lol worthy):
View attachment 234450

Discuss.
I believe that we shouldn’t look for DLC hints in the UI.

That being said. I still want Geno as a bonus fighter.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I plan to get it at some point - I don't think I've played a Digimon RPG before, and the game looks great in terms of graphics (I haven't seen much gameplay).
I probably will.

I mean I've already got the game but I'm willing to buy it again.

I just hope the translation is a little better this time. The spotty translation was probably Cyber Sleuth's biggest failing, the clearest example being how characters used the word "Bakemon" (the name of a Digimon) to refer to the Eaters ("bakemon"/"bakemono" is the Japanese word for "Monster").

Other examples include characters apparently saying the exact opposite of what they're meant to be saying (i.e. taking idiomatic Japanese a little too literally); a minor niggle for me personally is the game's insistence on calling Omegamon "Omnimon" (his dub name), when the characters are clearly calling him "Omegamon" in voiced cutscenes (and then when Next 0rder comes out with a full dub they call him Omegamon!)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I believe that we shouldn’t look for DLC hints in the UI.

That being said. I still want Geno as a bonus fighter.
I would normally agree with you on that, but I find it odd that, if there was no need for those 3 boxes, you’d just leave an empty space at the end of the row rather than having a weird empty one.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a common Box counterargument was that “Nintendo wouldn’t leak the roster like that!”, which was demonstrably false. Now, you obviously didn’t make that claim. I just think it’s something to look at here, just in case a particular DLC Challenger pack provides more than one voice actor.

Leon and Jill fans rise up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 234450

Discuss.
Personally, I don't even think this is worth a serious debate. It could be a mistake, it could be a second set of voice clips for the same character, it could be the layout we're stuck with, leaving a weird gap between the last character and the Pokemon cries - there's too many possibilities.

Not saying it won't mean anything in the long run, but it's definitely not worth an argument IMO.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I would normally agree with you on that, but I find it odd that, if there was no need for those 3 boxes, you’d just leave an empty space at the end of the row rather than having a weird empty one.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a common Box counterargument was that “Nintendo wouldn’t leak the roster like that!”, which was demonstrably false. Now, you obviously didn’t make that claim. I just think it’s something to look at here, just in case a particular DLC Challenger pack provides more than one voice actor.

Leon and Jill fans rise up.
Leon with a Jill alt could be it.

Are they similar enough? I wouldn’t know I don’t play RE lol

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
View attachment 234450

Discuss.
Oh lord, i'm getting flashbacks to that box theory. Then again, didn't that end up being correct?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Today. I begand my conquest of Olympus! Many gods lay dead at my feet, and I have bathed in the blood of 3 titans! HERE ME ZEUS! I will not rest this night, until I have slain every last god on the face of Olympus!

#GoddessOfWar

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, I don't even think this is worth a serious debate. It could be a mistake, it could be a second set of voice clips for the same character, it could be the layout we're stuck with, leaving a weird gap between the last character and the Pokemon cries - there's too many possibilities.

Not saying it won't mean anything in the long run, but it's definitely not worth an argument IMO.
That depends on what this actually is.

To take a look for myself, I checked my own game, and my particular game doesn’t have these boxes, nor does it have Banjo showing up. The image is either doctored or somebody has their game uploaded incorrectly or...something.

I wouldn’t be so quick to brush things off as “nothing” though.
Leon with a Jill alt could be it.

Are they similar enough? I wouldn’t know I don’t play RE lol
They could work as a character, as the gameplay across Resident Evil has a very consistent setup until you get to the later games, like 5 and 6. Leon isn’t as muscular as Chris Redfield, and neither is Jill.

But that’s pretty much it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 234450

Discuss.
Kinda said this on another thread but I feel that the whole idea of a bonus character relies on people filing the blank on certain stuff in the game that includes the character selection process with wish-fulfillment.

I really doubt it means anything, for all we know, we could have another Hero situation with a character with multiple voices per skin and it could just leave the square uneven.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
View attachment 234450

Discuss.
most likely a character that has an alternate character as a costume ala alph or a character with male/female alts like byleth or something

I highly doubt that there would be a bonus character, though I suppose there might be an echo fighter like Kasumi or something

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

To take a look for myself, I checked my own game, and my particular game doesn’t have these boxes, nor does it have Banjo showing up. The image is either doctored or somebody has their game uploaded incorrectly or...something.

They could work as a character, as the gameplay across Resident Evil has a very consistent setup until you get to the later games, like 5 and 6. Leon isn’t as muscular as Chris Redfield, and neither is Jill.

But that’s pretty much it.
It can't be a dev screenshot because it's not a blurry photo of a screen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we do get an final bonus character I expect it to be Waluigi. He's really the only one I can see fitting that bill.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The image was posted in the Newcomer Speculation thread before, meant as a mockup of how it could look like if the UI filled out perfectly. The empty boxes aren't actually there, but there will be 3 empty spaces after the general Smash Bros. box if you include Banjo & Kazooie. It's really just a theory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom