• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I just watched the ending of Persona 4 play out and this song pops into my head.
I have no idea why.

As far as I can tell most of the people that played OK were people who never played the first three and have nothing to compare it too.
Me, the last time I watched the P4 ending: šŸ˜¢
Me, thinking of the same ending but with Hey Digimon playing over it: šŸ˜‚

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
I never said it didn't make their opinions invalid.

I've seen a lot of people who just hate the older games despite never playing them because it's a valid criticism to say the modern games are trash and they take offense to that
itā€™s a valid criticism to say a sweeping opinion
as fact
I think my brain broke on that line

bud donā€™t be rude just let people enjoy paper Mario how they want

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Iā€™ve been following others play though TOK, and while I will say it is the best out of the modern games, it still doesnā€™t resonate with me that much and Iā€™m not interested in getting it myself, Iā€™m more than content watching others play it. Good for those who do enjoy it though, I wish I could find as much enjoyment in it as you guys do. Iā€™m still gonna work on my ideas for Star-Drawn Journeys as something to beef up my portfolio though.
And that's totally fine. The game isn't gonna appeal to all, no game ever will.
It all depends on how you carry yourself with those opinions, which for some reason, Nintendo fanbases as a whole have a very hard time grasping.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
itā€™s a valid criticism to say a sweeping opinion
as fact
I think my brain broke on that line

bud donā€™t be rude just let people enjoy paper Mario how they want
Paper Mario really needs the Sonic Generations treatment. I thought Origami King was going to be a perfect marriage of the two styles. I guess it's not? But I think we can all agree that that is what the series needs.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
That's incredibly dismissive.

Objective quality is an artificial construct. All it means is that a majority of people like it. As an example, I've loved Ben 10 all my life. And all my life I was told it was a bad show. But then, low and behold, Kuro the Artist blows up and people come out of the woodwork and people start praising the show. It's a meaningless phrase.

And either way, I don't care. I just want people to stop being mean because I've been on that end a lot in my life. I know what it's like to be continually disappointed. So I can't be mad at people for expressing that disappointment.
Again, no one is mad at anyone for expressing disappointment. People are just saying that thereā€™s a difference between ā€œIt isnā€™t what I wanted so Iā€™m disappointedā€ and ā€œIt isnā€™t what I wanted so itā€™s badā€. Either way, itā€™s best to just leave this discussion to rest.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never said it did make their opinions invalid.

I've seen a lot of people who just hate the older games despite never playing them because it's a valid criticism to say the modern games are trash and they take offense to that
You call subjective entertainment thrash and act like it's valid criticism and people take offense to that?

Can't imagine why.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Paper Mario really needs the Sonic Generations treatment. I thought Origami King was going to be a perfect marriage of the two styles. I guess it's not? But I think we can all agree that that is what the series needs.
Origami King is basically the Super of the Modern Titles, in that they completely threw away everything for a brand new game and gameplay style.

D

Deleted member

Itā€™s just my personal Discord server that I use for working on my art and writing projects.
Oh, I understand. Whatever choice you make I am acceptable with.
And either way, I don't care. I just want people to stop being mean because I've been on that end a lot in my life. I know what it's like to be continually disappointed. So I can't be mad at people for expressing that disappointment.
Can you do us a favor and stop please?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The closest we got to that is Mario and Luigi Paper Jam which bugs me the more I think about it.

Superstar Saga implies that the events of Paper Mario actually happened in this series world so Mario in Superstar Saga has to be the same guy as In Paper Mario. Which can't be true if Paper Jam exists.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The closest we got to that is Mario and Luigi Paper Jam which bugs me the more I think about it.

Superstar Saga implies that the events of Paper Mario actually happened in this series world so Mario in Superstar Saga has to be the same guy as In Paper Mario.
Wait what?....... that.... hm....... I don't know how to feel about that.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
That's incredibly dismissive.
Objective quality is an artificial construct. All it means is that a majority of people like it. As an example, I've loved Ben 10 all my life. And all my life I was told it was a bad show. But then, low and behold, Kuro the Artist blows up and people come out of the woodwork and people start praising the show. It's a meaningless phrase.
Snake, I'm not being mean on it. It's just you tend to have these discussions and while I love people being passionate you tend to drag it a bit and roll the ball further than intended.

I'd stand up for you with things like that **** you got on Twitter the other week in a heartbeat despite our differences when it comes to views of games and stuff. Regardless I think we should take a breather on this. I'm gonna take a break here and get some good food in me and then come back.

Let me think on it.
It's on the table and we'll gladly wait. Me and Wade have helped out each other on feedback along with a few others working on their own stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

rolls eyes Even when I'm not angry I'm the villain. Insert passive aggressive jab at the direct here. I'm gonna go play Crystal Crisis
You do this like ever other week. -__- Like....everytime news comes out oh look, here's your hot take about how bad it is and how it doesn't pander to you specifically. After many months of you doing this its frankly starting to get old.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Man, I just want Nintendo to tell me if Mario & Luigi is dead forever or not. šŸ˜”
The sad part is that even if the series isn't dead the next entry will succumb to the same virus that ruined Paper mario.

You could already see hints of this in the remasters of Bowsers inside story and superstar saga, using only generic toads and goombas and changing the designs of the brothers to match the main series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It really just needs Nintendo to stop being needlessly paranoid about unique Toads, Goombas, partners etc. and stop being hypocrites by using unique characters/designs like that in mainline games.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Remember when Nintendo told us about how Treasure was making a game on twitter before the treehouse?
They should just start doing that, but disconfirming stuff. They announce a Direct Mini and just start tweeting out ā€œthere will be no zelda games shownā€ and ā€œthere will be no new smash fighterā€

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly want to say Mario and Luigi are alive, but Paper Jam, SSDX, and BiSDX sold like garbo so...

We suffer
My question is what went wrong when they were developing Sticker Star?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
And that's totally fine. The game isn't gonna appeal to all, no game ever will.
It all depends on how you carry yourself with those opinions, which for some reason, Nintendo fanbases as a whole have a very hard time grasping.
Iā€™m more mad with how Nintendo is treating the series than anyone playing. I wish SS didnā€™t kill my interest in the modern games. Itā€™s good that this feels better than the last two but Iā€™m still gonna miss what the series used to be and couldā€™ve been had they continued with the formula.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I had a dream last night where Shigeru Miyamoto showed up at my house
I have no idea why he was there I just stepped outside and found him behind my mailbox so I invited him inside

D

Deleted member

The sad part is that even if the series isn't dead the next entry will succumb to the same virus that ruined Paper mario.

You could already see hints of this in the remasters of Bowsers inside story and superstar saga, using only generic toads and goombas and changing the designs of the brothers to match the main series.
Wait really?
Actually now that I think about that Captain Goomba side game literally only used just generic enemies and the koopalings...
download (3).jpg

D

Deleted member

Remember when Nintendo told us about how Treasure was making a game on twitter before the treehouse?
They should just start doing that, but disconfirming stuff. They announce a Direct Mini and just start tweeting out ā€œthere will be no zelda games shownā€ and ā€œthere will be no new smash fighterā€
Even when they do that kinda stuff(I distinctly remember one direct where nintendo outright said there was gonna be no Smash reveal) people still get mad. You can't please Nintendo fans, no matter what you do they'll find something to get mad over.

D

Deleted member

They had to deal with the SS/CS iteration and the M&L series started feeling more homogenous with DT among other things.
I meant Sticker Star, my bad.
May you please tell me your explanation on what went wrong as they were developing Sticker Star?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
TheMightyP TheMightyP I meant Sticker Star, not Paper Jam. My brain ****ed up there.
The director who was a Miyamoto fanboy took his advice a bit too seriously and didnā€™t care that he was gonna upset classic PM fans cause he and I quote ā€œmade a game for 7-10 year olds.ā€

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Even when they do that kinda stuff(I distinctly remember one direct where nintendo outright said there was gonna be no Smash reveal) people still get mad. You can't please Nintendo fans, no matter what you do they'll find something to get mad over.
Better plan.
Nintendo starts making mature Mario games to get rid of the kids
and all of the adults that act that way get removed from the planet.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Everything was AlphaDreams fault tbh. They didn't want to go all out with the crossover, so they played it extremely safe, and as a result, every single thing suffered.

Gameplay was fine though.
Iā€™m more mad with how Nintendo is treating the series than anyone playing. I wish SS didnā€™t kill my interest in the modern games. Itā€™s good that this feels better than the last two but Iā€™m still gonna miss what the series used to be and couldā€™ve been had they continued with the formula.
Nobody's arguing that the series should return back to it's roots, but honestly, it's fate was sealed when Super sold the most, and then Sticker Star sold the 2nd most.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I had a dream last night where Shigeru Miyamoto showed up at my house
I have no idea why he was there I just stepped outside and found him behind my mailbox so I invited him inside
Dude.

You created the best post today.

Pack it in guys, don't even thinking about posting today. He dreamt about big Miyamoto.

1597773761077.png

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In beta images they seemed to have planned partners like the original 2 games, though this time generic judging by the generic Chain Chomp partner but still cool; Miyamoto told them to do something different from TTYD and either 1. they went too far in that direction or 2. the rumored Mario Quality Assurance committee or whoever higherups at Nintendo (backed up by Tanabe's statements about it being "impossible" to use age/gender and stuff) got paranoid about unique versions of their character species and other unique stuff (despite the previous games, that they're oh-so afraid of, being beloved) so they went hard against that stuff while being hypocrites in their mainline games, and only letting up somewhat since that game so thankfully it at least got better.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
TheMightyP TheMightyP I meant Sticker Star, not Paper Jam. My brain ****ed up there.
Tanabe took what Miyamoto said to heart, and then added restrictions from Nintendo made the game so bland and not very memorable. Color Splash happened because they made the game immediately afterwards, not realizing people didn't like it until too late.

Origami King is what happened when Color Splash died paying for the sins of Sticker Star.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The director who was a Miyamoto fanboy took his advice a bit too seriously and didnā€™t care that he was gonna upset classic PM fans cause he and I quote ā€œmade a game for 7-10 year olds.ā€
This is stupid because the Mario RPGs aren't games made exclusively for children, the tone and writing in these games were always more of an all ages type experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom