• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
I dunno I think it’s more like this:

Okay let’s say you have a Stunky in Pokémon Diamond. You put it in Pokémon Home, but Stunky isn’t in Sword and Shield, so you can’t transfer Stunky there.

However, Diamond and Pearl remakes come out, and Stunky’s in that game. So you can grab the Stunky from home and send it there.

So not erased, just in limbo until a compatible game comes out.

Still not great but, y’know...
I can't use Stunky in competitive SwSh, and by extension, unless the SwSh Pokemon aree in a DPP remake, I can't use the SwSh exclusives

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Tbh, I kinda thought if they were to end on a big character reveals/no major salt overall... the Hero and Banjo would've been perfect for that.

But they're characters #2 and #3, not #4 and #5.

How exactly do you follow up pretty much the biggest Japanese franchises not in Smash (pre-E3) and one the biggest 3rd party requests period?
I know I'm biased, but a Resident Evil rep.

Resident Evil is the 20th highest grossing videogame franchise of all time. It has 9 theatrical releases and an upcoming Netflix series. It's far and away-- like, not even close-- Capcom's highest selling franchise and kicked off both the survival horror craze of the mid-90s to early 2000s, establishing the genre as mainstream, and the over-the-shoulder action shooter craze since. It created one of the first ever heavily marketed female leads in videogames. Sega. Sony and Nintendo all fought over exclusive rights for RE2, RE3, RE:CV and RE4 because they were all considered system sellers.

I'm biased. But I can say objectively that a Resident Evil rep would be a big ****ing deal.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Honestly, limiting the amount of Pokemon in a game is actually kind of exciting because it adds a new tier list, which makes certain pokemon perform better without their counters present.

It's not relevant in game, but still, it's something LGPE introduced, and it has potential.

Double K

Smash Lord
Honestly, limiting the amount of Pokemon in a game is actually kind of exciting because it adds a new tier list, which makes certain pokemon perform better without their counters present.

It's not relevant in game, but still, it's something LGPE introduced, and it has potential.
That's literally

That's actually really bad for a competive standpoint. Removing checks and counters actually causes new things to go wild and in general, it's better for something to be bad because things deal with it, then something to be good because nothing does

This also teaches players to expand their ****ing horizons and try out Pokemon that they wouldn't touch before. -_-
We call those Nuzlockes. Gamefreak probably killed those too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, I have something important to share.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

Resident Evil is the 20th highest grossing videogame franchise of all time. It has 9 theatrical releases and an upcoming Netflix series. It's far and away-- like, not even close-- Capcom's highest selling franchise and kicked off both the survival horror craze of the mid-90s to early 2000s, establishing the genre as mainstream, and the over-the-shoulder action shooter craze since. It created one of the first ever heavily marketed female leads in videogames. Sega. Sony and Nintendo all fought over exclusive rights for RE2, RE3, RE:CV and RE4 because they were all considered system sellers.

I'm biased. But I can sat objectively that a Resident Evil rep would be a big ****ing deal.
I would agree with you, except for one thing; they had said that the dlc would be adding a whole new series and experience to smash not present otherwise, and to me the whole ‘horror and spooky’ theme has been covered by the castlevania characters. I know that’s not much of a reason to think that but idk, I just have trouble seeing two trailers to this game with a ‘horror’ theme, I just feel like it won’t be an RE character. I do think one of the two will be a capcom character tho

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't mean to rant, but I think people who complain about the lack of a National Dex don't understand the situation Game Freak is in.

One of the most common complaints I hear is, "They're so greedy and lazy! Just hire more people!" Well, contracting and hiring new employees is not a simple task. Even with large corporations, you typically only hire a few people at a time, not all at once. Then there's a bunch of human resources management involved with interviews, and you need to give a training period to new staff, all of which takes an incredibly long time. Second, just because they have money doesn't mean that new staff is always available. You can't just materialize 50 new 3D animators out of thin air whenever you want. Most of the 3D for the Pokémon themselves are done by Creatures Inc, who are also responsible for the TCG and a bunch of other stuff, and even then they still have to reach out to other companies for help - companies that have schedules of their own.

And even with all of this, I think people still underestimate how much work it is to work with the amount of Pokémon there are. Even if you decide to add only one new animation for each Pokémon, that's already more than 800 animations. You can't make these in a day and call it finished. You have to make sure all of these look good and work with all the attack animations. When you don't, well, remember how some Pokémon would stay perfectly still in their Z-move animations? The amount of staff that would be needed to create all of these assets and have it be perfectly polished would probably result in the equivalent of a management nightmare.

Now I know what people are going to say: "Why won't they just delay the games then?" A delay could have some nasty implications for the franchise that other games might not. For example, the anime. The studio and all the animators involved have their own schedule and other projects they have to work with. With a delay on the games, here's what would happen: With a sudden change of plans, the writers would be forced to lengthen the episode count of the previous series by making boring filler that has little to no substance to the main plot. Not only would that stink for the fans, but it'd likely result in a huge drop in viewers until the new series comes out. That's not even mentioning the TCG stuff, toys, clothes, events, TV ads, etc. It would cause a chain reaction and make everyone's life harder.

There's plenty of design decisions on Game Freak's part to criticise, but I don't really agree with the notion that the series would be better with another studio. The Pokémon series is a scope time bomb that would be difficult to manage by anyone. Even other big scale RPGs, like Dragon Quest, Persona, or Level5's games, still don't have the same scope as Pokémon, and even they have to resort to palette swaps for enemies to reuse animations.

It's hard to admit, but this was bound to happen at some point. No series could get away with a returning roster this big without consequences to the quality of the games. Even Sakurai admitted with Smash Ultimate that he thought he might not be able to do it (also health issues). There are many Pokémon at this point that were created as one-off mechanics or to showcase a new feature, but they still had to be included even though they had no purpose and/or were totally outclassed by other Pokémon. I am an avid defender of the "good design is design with purpose" mentality, and no game mechanic should be included for no good reason. Game Freak decided that this decision would help them improve the game in other ways, so they have at least some of my respect for that. I'm not going to say that it's wrong to be upset that the Pokémon you have been collecting since 2002 might not be available in the new games, but we have to admit that in a way, this might have been holding the series back from trying new things.

And that's just my two cents on the matter. Sorry to ramble on, but I feel very strongly about this.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Sad thing is I don't think delaying the game to add everything in will be an option since they have to tie in the games with all the Merch, the TCG, and the new Anime season (and I don't think they'll do any filler since I think the last time they had filler was during Best Wishes and I think a lot of people hated that)

Edit: Ninja'd regarding the Game tie ins

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
We saw Vulpix, who evolves into the best Pokemon. Thankfully, Gardevoir and Gengar are also safe. I think I saw Snover as well, which means my boy Abomasnow is in.

Shroob

Sup?
Implying they're gone forever. Which they obviously aren't.

Again, just because they aren't here now doesn't mean they never will be.
"Cool! A game with the pokemon I loved cut from sword and shield! Now I'll transfer my favs from galar and....oh they're not in this games dex"

Double K

Smash Lord
Sad thing is I don't think delaying the game to add everything in will be an option since they have to tie in the games with all the Merch, the TCG, and the new Anime season (and I don't think they'll do any filler since I think the last time they had filler was during Best Wishes and I think a lot of people hated that)

Edit: Ninja'd regarding the Game tie ins
Gosh, if only Gamefreak patched their games

OH wait

they did in SuMo

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Imagine the anime for Sword on Shield has Ash use a bunch of pokemon from past regions.

People would be triggered lol.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
User was warned for this post; trolling
"Cool! A game with the pokemon I loved cut from sword and shield! Now I'll transfer my favs from galar and....oh they're not in this games dex"
Oh no I guess you'll just have to use something else, huh? :mybodyisreggie:

Also, patches are possible.

Shroob

Sup?

So suddenly I should forfeit a pokemon I had in emerald and was rewarded for dedication and friendship for transferring them all the way into oras and then gen7 just because they're not in the DeX. Right.

I am firmly in the outrage camp.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do agree not having the ability to transfer over is silly. Though I can see that they've got enough on their plate to do, so maybe it's just a matter of balance for now. I hope it isn't where I need to unlock the full dex to transfer them over. You could make the dex thing a small but easy side quest, to encourage beating the game with the new team. A nice balance of both options.

Double K

Smash Lord
There's plenty of design decisions on Game Freak's part to criticise, but I don't really agree with the notion that the series would be better with another studio. The Pokémon series is a scope time bomb that would be difficult to manage by anyone. Even other big scale RPGs, like Dragon Quest, Persona, or Level5's games, still don't have the same scope as Pokémon, and even they have to resort to palette swaps for enemies to reuse animations.
Outside of those recolors in Dragon Quest, there are still about 120 unique models when you discount bosses, and all of them have more going on in their idle animations then any Pokemon does with its entire animation list. SMT games have at minimum, 200 demons and not one of them are recolors. Even Nocturne and Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha which are less advanced had more going on. Even if you take the "High quality animation" to mean exactly cutscenes, that's still laughable and not even leaving in dummy files to be patched in and making this the standard going forward, is just creating more work. You're not making it easier, you're hiding it.

Wow, could you be any more condescending?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So suddenly I should forfeit a pokemon I had in emerald and was rewarded for dedication and friendship for transferring them all the way into oras and then gen7 just because they're not in the DeX. Right.

I am firmly in the outrage camp.
Alright. More power to you. :drshrug:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Impidimp does look cool, and I'm glad we finally got a Dark/Fairy. I could see Prankster as one of his abilities, though maybe something else if they wanna differentiate him from Sableye.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What exactly happened? I am considering selling my Xbox One version in favor of the Switch version.
The power just cut out in their segment. Error screen was thrown up, but when they came back they still continued with the Lucky devs. So they still got their full segment.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Do people really just transfer their favorites when they start a new Pokemon game? I always play without transferring or interacting with other games at all.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Okay but it's also real scummy of them to make millions of merchandise off a mon only to cut em.
On top of that, it's content that was in previous iterations of the game that's been cut, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

The move to console was to facilitate better animation quality and content. Now we're being told that actually console isn't enough for the animation quality and they've gotta cut mons. Despite the fact that from what was shown the animation is largely the same as gen 7.

To be completely blunt, other dev teams have done exactly this and been rightfully criticized, just because it's Gamefreak doesn't mean they should be immune to critique. I see fans finding all sorts of ways that they're okay with the change and therefore others should be too, but that isn't really fair.

If you're fine with it, that's good. If you aren't, that's also completely understandable. Neither side is a "bad" take so to speak.

I'm biased. But I can sat objectively that a Resident Evil rep would be a big ****ing deal.
Bias or not, you can't deny RE's size. Looking at Capcom's list of IP's Resident Evil is easily the biggest that has yet to be in Smash. Nintendo clearly thinks the series is important even now, as shown by all the RE ports to Switch.

Resident Evil would be a huge deal no matter who they ended up including.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also for another answer to the same question, Dark Souls.

One of the most iconic franchises in the past 10 years or so. Hugely popular in both the west and the east, it carved it's own niche into the medium in much the same way RE did.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Do people really just transfer their favorites when they start a new Pokemon game? I always play without transferring or interacting with other games at all.
There are plenty of stories of people buying a DSLite and a bunch of other consoles, just so they can bring their Gen3 favorite to join them in the latest game. It's not about starting with them, its about having them with them, because for a lot of people, those bits of data have significant sentimental value to them, and Pokemon is a series about moving forward.

As a matter of fact, yes, I can be, so please don't push my buttons. Moving on.
No, please do. It's hilarious seeing a person who has no idea what he's talking about, act like he knows what he's talking about

D

Deleted member

I don't mean to rant, but I think people who complain about the lack of a National Dex don't understand the situation Game Freak is in.

One of the most common complaints I hear is, "They're so greedy and lazy! Just hire more people!" Well, contracting and hiring new employees is not a simple task. Even with large corporations, you typically only hire a few people at a time, not all at once. Then there's a bunch of human resources management involved with interviews, and you need to give a training period to new staff, all of which takes an incredibly long time. Second, just because they have money doesn't mean that new staff is always available. You can't just materialize 50 new 3D animators out of thin air whenever you want. Most of the 3D for the Pokémon themselves are done by Creatures Inc, who are also responsible for the TCG and a bunch of other stuff, and even then they still have to reach out to other companies for help - companies that have schedules of their own.

And even with all of this, I think people still underestimate how much work it is to work with the amount of Pokémon there are. Even if you decide to add only one new animation for each Pokémon, that's already more than 800 animations. You can't make these in a day and call it finished. You have to make sure all of these look good and work with all the attack animations. When you don't, well, remember how some Pokémon would stay perfectly still in their Z-move animations? The amount of staff that would be needed to create all of these assets and have it be perfectly polished would probably result in the equivalent of a management nightmare.

Now I know what people are going to say: "Why won't they just delay the games then?" A delay could have some nasty implications for the franchise that other games might not. For example, the anime. The studio and all the animators involved have their own schedule and other projects they have to work with. With a delay on the games, here's what would happen: With a sudden change of plans, the writers would be forced to lengthen the episode count of the previous series by making boring filler that has little to no substance to the main plot. Not only would that stink for the fans, but it'd likely result in a huge drop in viewers until the new series comes out. That's not even mentioning the TCG stuff, toys, clothes, events, TV ads, etc. It would cause a chain reaction and make everyone's life harder.

It's hard to admit, but this was bound to happen at some point. No series could get away with a returning roster this big without consequences to the quality of the games. Even Sakurai admitted with Smash Ultimate that he thought he might not be able to do it (also health issues). There are many Pokémon at this point that were created as one-off mechanics or to showcase a new feature, but they still had to be included even though they had no purpose and/or were totally outclassed by other Pokémon. I am an avid defender of the "good design is design with purpose" mentality, and no game mechanic should be included for no good reason. Game Freak decided that this decision would help them improve the game in other ways, so they have at least some of my respect for that. I'm not going to say that it's wrong to be upset that the Pokémon you have been collecting since 2002 might not be available in the new games, but we have to admit that in a way, this might have been holding the series back from trying new things.

And that's just my two cents on the matter. Sorry to ramble on, but I feel very strongly about this.
It feels like Game Freak is a small studio that accidentally created the biggest media franchise of all time and now they're sorta stuck just doing that even though they're an AA studio at best.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I always transfer just to keep them in a box somewhere.

Eventually the pokemon becomes less of a gameplay mechanic and more of a friend you want to tag along with you.

Shroob

Sup?
My first shiny was in emerald, a shiny trapinch I named munch. I traded that thing up every gen, maxed out its friendship in amie and got rewarded for it in oras.

The thought of having a new game without munch in it sucks.

Double K

Smash Lord
Also, the idea of Balance is frankly insulting to hear as an excuse since

• Gamefreak has never made a balanced game in their life
  • Nobody cares about balance outside of competitive
  • Competitive will never actually be balanced
  • Gamefreak has proven since generation 1, incapable of making a game that runs with proper optimization

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yea, I understand why gamefreak would do this, but I still firmly stand with the idea that this was just a horrible decision all around, they are going to have a real tough time covering their hides after this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom