• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think the closest I’ve come to making a Sonic OC is a new character named Synth for a Sonic rhythm game who would basically be the Sonic universe version of a Vocaloid created by Eggman to harness the power from the Magenta Wisps (Lost World) though presented as good as she partners with Amy as she tries out becoming a pop star. I haven’t worked out a design yet but I did want her to have some resemblance to a Magenta Wisp

D

Deleted member

I feel like Mr.Incredible putting up his new red superheroe uniform in The Incredibles 1 after the upgrade I did to that avatar from god knows how long.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
if it's the re-used model/assets thing that ya'll are talking about in regards to Masuda...

wooooooooooooo I would absolutely hate for ya'll to see some other video games on the market, especially stuff like MMOs. and even repurposing that **** takes a lot of work and development time. Just ask any game dev worth their salt. You think you can just...plop **** over into another engine or piece of hardware like a simple copy-paste? It's never that easy.

Like I'll take any other complaint about this game, but c'mon. This? This is borderline asinine and is completely removed from the reality of how real crunch is in the industry.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

if it's the re-used model/assets thing that ya'll are talking about in regards to Masuda...

wooooooooooooo I would absolutely hate for ya'll to see some other video games on the market, especially stuff like MMOs. and even repurposing that **** takes a lot of work and development time

Like I'll take any other complaint about this game, but c'mon. This? This is borderline asinine and is completely removed from the reality of how real crunch is in the industry.

Smooth Criminal
Hell, even Smash Ultimate reuses some assets from Smash 4 too.

The game has original assets too, but there is evidence of asset reusement too (such as elements of the Garden Of Hope stage).

Shroob

Sup?

wooooooooooooo I would absolutely hate for ya'll to see some other video games on the market, especially stuff like MMOs. and even repurposing that **** takes a lot of work and development time

Smooth Criminal
No one cares that they're reused.

It's that he lied about them "Being made from the ground up.", which is 100% untrue.

Like, he flat out said one of the reasons that the Dexit even happened was because "We're remaking the models from the ground up", and... no, they didn't, they're the same ones.

Them being reused is fine. Them being reused and lying about them being brand new is not fine.

If someone sold you a "Brand new" car and when you got home it had 10k miles on it, that'd be pretty ****ing scummy of the cars salesman.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never got the whole "company slots" thing

characters should be considered for what they bring to the table, not for how many reps a company has

For example, I can still think of a dozen potential candidates when it comes to Capcom (Dante, Phoenix Wright, Monster hunter, Amaterasu, RE rep, etc). Refraining any of them from joining soley because "Capcom already has 3 reps and all the other companies should have equal representation", just feels silly in my book.
Pretty much. Unlike something like Marvel vs Capcom, there's no real "limit" as to what Smash can be, in MVC, we know it's only Marvel and Capcom. With Smash, other than the fact it's Nintendo owned, it's far less constrained. And we've been had un-even representation because it's not like SNK got 2 more characters to match up with Capcom, same with Namco. That said, I can see wanting to expand horizons. Hell, I wish MVC did more the Spider-Man franchise and didn't cut the main X-Men like Wolverine and Storm just so it could be MCU: The Game. No one's gonna miss Marrow though. With Smash, there's plenty of companies to look at and many icons to add if need be. For example, we only scratched the surface of what Western Third Parties could offer with Banjo & Kazooie.

It's just that Capcom has a TON to pull from. And they arguably have the best assortment of franchises next to Nintendo and Sega. That's why so many popular third party requests are Capcom ones, because RE fans want their character. DMC fans would love Dante. Chun-Li's an Icon. Monster Hunter is huge. Ace Attorney is practically a Nintendo series like Mega Man, a franchise that some people want to see more of in Smash. Just like Sonic fans wanting someone like Tails. It isn't so much that being from Capcom is what makes them great. Capcom is cool BECAUSE these characters and franchises mean a lot to their fans, and usually are a sign of quality.

Tekken's one of my favorite series too, but I don't want Jin Kazama or Heihachi in because it means another Namco rep. I want Jin Kazama/Heihachi/Kazuya in because Tekken is a badass series with the Mishima's being fun to play.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

wooooooooooooo I would absolutely hate for ya'll to see some other video games on the market, especially stuff like MMOs. and even repurposing that **** takes a lot of work and development time. Just ask any game dev worth their salt. You think you can just...plop **** over into another engine or piece of hardware like a simple copy-paste? It's never that easy.

Smooth Criminal
It's not about the fact that they reused models, it's the fact that they said they were cutting Pokemon so they could focus on creating new models and high quality animations when everything about that statement was a lie.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much. Unlike something like Marvel vs Capcom, there's no real "limit" as to what Smash can be, in MVC, we know it's only Marvel and Capcom. With Smash, other than the fact it's Nintendo owned, it's far less constrained. And we've been had un-even representation because it's not like SNK got 2 more characters to match up with Capcom, same with Namco. That said, I can see wanting to expand horizons. Hell, I wish MVC did more the Spider-Man franchise and didn't cut the main X-Men like Wolverine and Storm just so it could be MCU: The Game. No one's gonna miss Marrow though. With Smash, there's plenty of companies to look at and many icons to add if need be. For example, we only scratched the surface of what Western Third Parties could offer with Banjo & Kazooie.

It's just that Capcom has a TON to pull from. And they arguably have the best assortment of franchises next to Nintendo and Sega. That's why so many popular third party requests are Capcom ones, because RE fans want their character. DMC fans would love Dante. Chun-Li's an Icon. Monster Hunter is huge. Ace Attorney is practically a Nintendo series like Mega Man, a franchise that some people want to see more of in Smash. Just like Sonic fans wanting someone like Tails. It isn't so much that being from Capcom is what makes them great. Capcom is cool BECAUSE these characters and franchises mean a lot to their fans, and usually are a sign of quality.

Tekken's one of my favorite series too, but I don't want Jin Kazama or Heihachi in because it means another Namco rep. I want Jin Kazama/Heihachi/Kazuya in because Tekken is a badass series with the Mishima's being fun to play.
Hopefully MvC4 adds X-Men characters again.

Maybe alongside the debut of the F4 and Annihilus in the franchise.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I once made a Sonic OC of my internet persona (I haven’t shown my internet persona here, have I?) and drew him, like, a couple times around the time Miiverse was still active, ahaha. He was a weasel, but I’ve since basically redesigned and moved the idea of a weasel version of my online persona to an original canon.

It’s kind of funny that, for me being such a Sonic fan for all of my life, I haven’t tried to design Sonic OCs much. I didn’t even make up a name for the avatar I used in Sonic Forces while beating the game.

D

Deleted member

I literally do not understand how a person can look at an MMO and an RTS and think "yeah, those are the same." Like, it's literal nonsense.
What does RTS stand for?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am kinda out of tune with the topic.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No one cares that they're reused.

It's that he lied about them "Being made from the ground up.", which is 100% untrue.

Like, he flat out said one of the reasons that the Dexit even happened was because "We're remaking the models from the ground up", and... no, they didn't, they're the same ones.

Them being reused is fine. Them being reused and lying about them being brand new is not fine.

If someone sold you a "Brand new" car and when you got home it had 10k miles on it, that'd be pretty ****ing scummy of the cars salesman.
I mean, how much of that can be substantiated? Like honestly? What, did Masuda and Co. just blow up the models, and then inject them into Sword/Shield's engine with all the cleanliness of a copy-paste? And what about the new 'mons? Did they take absolutely no time at all because they existed...elsewhere? They weren't made from scratch?

We're missing a lot of facts here. I suggest not looking to sensationalism, armchair game designers, or otherwise people with wayyyyyyyyy too much time on their hands.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
What does RTS stand for?

Real-time strategy. Like Starcraft or Halo Wars.

Basically the kinds of games where you control an army against an enemy army from a top down perspective and focus on troop placement, inventory management, and things like that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What does RTS stand for?

RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. So stuff like StarCraft, which makes a ton of money in Korea. I believe Pikmin is also labeled under the RTS genre. Though it'd be kind of an outlier of the genre.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Real-time strategy. Like Starcraft or Halo Wars.

Basically the kinds of games where you control an army against an enemy army from a top down perspective and focus on troop placement, inventory management, and things like that.
I remember those games!

Command & Conquer was one of those games right?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I mean, how much of that can be substantiated? Like honestly? What, did Masuda and Co. just blow up the models, and then inject them into Sword/Shield's engine with all the cleanliness of a copy-paste? And what about the new 'mons? Did they take absolutely no time at all because they existed...elsewhere? They weren't made from scratch?

We're missing a lot of facts here. I suggest not looking to sensationalism, armchair game designers, or otherwise people with wayyyyyyyyy too much time on their hands.

Smooth Criminal
There is LITERAL proof of them just importing models from 3DS into the game.

Shroob

Sup?

We're missing a lot of facts here.

Smooth Criminal
The models are more or less the exact same Tri-Count as they were in Sun/Moon with only minor alternations(And by minor, I mean REAL minor by like 10-50 tris)

Gamefreak raved on and on for years about how their models were "Future-proofed" Starting with the Gen 5 3D Pokedex and had been using the exact same models since then, to the point that, iirc, even LGPE uses the same models.

Unless they made over 300 models from the ground up to be exactly like they were in Sun/Moon, give or take 10-50 Tris which were most definitely to just smooth out more jagged edges, and some poor souls like Bulbasaur lost details in the transition, then Gamefreak must be a galaxy-brain level of inept.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Smooth Criminal
Creatures actually handles the Pokémon models, and they were made to be future-proof. They're very high-quality, and are just compressed on a 3DS; a 3DS emulator brings them back to their original quality (maybe requires some settings changes, idk haven't used a 3DS emulator myself), which is the same as or very close to the quality of the models in LGPE and SW/SH. They should be able to import the models into their Switch games if they're using a similar engine, or really any engine that supports them.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That said, I can see wanting to expand horizons. Hell, I wish MVC did more the Spider-Man franchise and didn't cut the main X-Men like Wolverine and Storm just so it could be MCU: The Game. No one's gonna miss Marrow though.
If Ultimate Alliance 3 is any indication, then they probably would allow it, yes they would. I think X-Men would be fine with Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, and Deadpool. MAYBE Psylocke, Cyclops, and Juggernaut to appease the Marvel 2 fans. Finally adding the Fantastic Four is a must, and I think they could work as a team-based character like the Ginyu Force in DragonBall FighterZ. As for Spider-Man, it feels like a streatch, but it would be nice to get a Marvel vs. Capcom version of the Sinister Six. Ideally Dr. Octopus, Green Goblin, Venom, Electro, Rhino, and Mysterio.

I also want to see villains from other Marvel franchises. The Mandarin, The Leader or Abomination, Red Skull or Baron Zemo, frickin Loki (I'm stunned that he wasn't in Infinite with all the MCU love. Loki is like, the MCU darling villain). The Avengers from the movies, as shilly as it sounds, provide a nice swath of Marvel characters to include. Guardians really don't need more than Rocket w/Groot. Maybe Star-Lord if there's room. Then there's other characters like Blade, Punisher, Daredevil, The Inhumans, The Eternals. SO MUCH POTENTIAL. But it's almost impossible to make one that covers all your bases and still leaves room for Capcom.

Maybe Capcom should pull an NRS and make a Marvel solo fighting game and a Capcom All-Stars fighting game and then maybe later return to MvC.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I thought that’s what you’re having me do?
View attachment 246567
Roshin would be absolutely full of himself and would get his ass kicked by the main man Yoshi himself. I don't know if you'll implement inter-partner conversations but I imagine the reactions he'd get out of others would be hilarious :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, people datamining the game have even said all the game does is slap an HD texture on top of the model.

And afaik, the HD textures are just the same ones that people were able to hack Sun/Moon to have since, Textures are always made HD to start with and then scaled down.

Like, legit, if you looked at an HD model from SuMo and an HD model from Sw/Sd, aside from lighting and shading you almost assuredly couldn't tell the different.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Believe it or not but, some people don't wanna be overpowered in a baby difficulty game.
NGL, I think I would need that to not get bored with turn-based battles.

God, what I wouldn't give for a Pokemon game with battles like Pokken.

Maybe I should take SwSh off my christmas list. Not because I think the game is bad but just because I think I'd have a hard time having fun with it because of the aforementioned battle system.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*sigh* sometimes character Discords are cancer
*Snake at 46*

People have serious trouble getting around Snake's projectiles in competitive and then the other side STILL SOMEHOW thinks he doesn't "fit" so I'm not surprised.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Roshin would be absolutely full of himself and would get his ass kicked by the main man Yoshi himself. I don't know if you'll implement inter-partner conversations but I imagine the reactions he'd get out of others would be hilarious :yoshi:
Yeah I kinda wanna implement heart-to-hearts but I don’t know exactly what reward to get out of them yet

Shroob

Sup?
NGL, I think I would need that to not get bored with turn-based battles.

God, what I wouldn't give for a Pokemon game with battles like Pokken.

Maybe I should take SwSh off my christmas list. Not because I think the game is bad but just because I think I'd have a hard time having fun with it because of the aforementioned battle system.
I'm surprised it's even on there to begin with when everyone knows how much you despise turn based rpgs, tbh. :dr^_^:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom