• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Brian

Smash Journeyman
so
does anyone have advice for not getting so demoralized while trying to improve?
i just don't see the game like i need to. i'm starting to get to the point where i feel like i'm technically competent (i need to practice my out of shield game and get some more general practice vs people and i think i'll be there)
but i don't see the game in the way that a successful player does. i don't know how to make reads, i can't keep track of habits, i get overwhelmed incredibly easily, etc. i played alvin for one match and he told me about a bad habit i had. it took me like five minutes to even figure out what exactly he was talking about.

for the past 6 months or so (basically since the disbanding of the hub house), i've felt like after every session i play against someone my first thought is that i should quit or just give up on ever trying to get good.

i know i should just try to maintain a positive attitude. but i'm not a positive person in general. i know that things will probably fall into place with more practice, but i don't get to practice very often and i absolutely HATE trying to get practice in rotations because i lose >90% of the friendlies i play. (i feel like i never get good practice when i cant play like 4-5 matches in a row. maybe im just being a *****.)

sorry for another *****y rant from me, i feel like i make one every 6 months at least, but i honestly don't know if this is a sign i should give up and try to move on or what. taking a break would be my instinct, but i dont play very often so it seems like a weird decision to make. (in general i don't like to take half measures.)

Lovage

Smash Hero
rotations can suck my chode

try asking the TV if you can just play 3 or 4 matches (and then watch tv or get food or watch matches)

you won't feel anywhere as salty compared to losing one and waiting forever to lose another

and you might learn more (because you can reflect on your what you did wrong in a salt-free way)

JDM

Smash Champion
I tried to implement the 2 games and out rule at my smashfests but people don't seem to like the change.

Irvine sucks

MacD

Banned via Administration
i didn't start doing the mental aspect of the game till later, reading people and whatnot was really hard and still is for me

when i started, i just worked on match ups and how to fight the character, not the player. if you still aren't comfortable on technically being able to do things, don't be mad that you aren't making reads, it just comes with experience and playing

to make reads first you have to know what options your opponent has, then how you can cover them/most of them, then comes the actually reading where you remember your opponents techs/habits

i'd say it's a lot more important to work on just getting your character down and knowing what you can do with your character and what each character can do to you, than it is knowing when someone spot dodges or rolls after the 2nd nair shine

at least for the level you are at

one thing is to not play people who are a lot better than you if you don't want to get demoralized, sure it helps to play the really good people, but you'll get upset if you keep getting ***** and feel like you can't do anything back

DJMirror

Smash Master
Since Thursday

my family is really really really pissing me off.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get a ****ty *** christmas

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i like my family, but i hate the dynamic of me+my sister+my parents. when it's just me and any single one, i'm good and some combinations of three are fine, but there's something about all four of us being together that makes me crazy.

i got fat loot and have some money to put away towards my bearded dragon fund. sick!

bbb

Smash Champion
I will beat banjo kazooie 100% in one sitting at said newyears party

bonuses for getting drunk during it

bbb

Smash Champion
I am in agreeance

fly aminita invited too

GUNNA BEAT BANJO KAZOOIE ALL THE JIGGYS ALL THE NOTES

D

Deleted member

johnny will have restricted access to the liquor LOL

Murdoc is god
Murdoc is god
Murdoc is god
Johhny is dead
Joe Clifford will be my drunk buddy and will help regulate my liquor intake

please don't limit me i won't break any more pots

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
as long as you dont get out of control idc

but ****

spinning around making innout fries fly everywhere LOL

i was vacuuming yesterday and there were still some in the carpet hahahaha

joeplicate

Smash Master
SO!!

here's the deal with new years
we have a car of people going to vegas, consisting of mango, kanna, romeo, hugo, and gabe
they're gonna leave saturday at 9 if everything goes according to plan (or "smasher 9", which leaves like 3 hours of wiggle room lol)
other than that, basically everybody wants to have a smashing new years

the thing is, everyone's still undecided as **** as to what they actually wanna do!

new years falls on a friday, so that's a pretty good time for a party!

the way i figure it, we have 2 or 3 options

1. dunk's house
pros: good location, familiarity, a lot of people will be able to make it
cons: less space

2. 805 party with everyone invited
pros: super **** house, lots of cool people from 805 in attendance who might not go to dunk's (derek, ross, riptide, tipZ, etc), lots of room, 949 a possibility with more room??
cons: 818 would have to carpool out, vegas car might not come or might have to leave early

i think driving out shouldn't be too much of a hassle, especially if johnny, wes, or dunk is willing to drive and put other people in their car

3. do something at romeo's
pros: best for vegas car, optimal location between dunk's and 805
cons: limited amount of people, we'd have to leave early, which might not work well at all with the amount of debauchery that will probably happen >:]

what do the homies wanna do?
what's 949 doing, for that matter?
i'm looking for input from brendan, johnny, dunk, wes, joey, hugo, and other movers and shakers, potential hosts and drivers, so we can get some cool **** planned and have an awesome time

MacD

Banned via Administration
as far as i know, there is no 949 plan, my trip to vegas fell through so i'm looking for something new

smasher new years sounds really fun, idk who from 949 is free/would want to go

if i had to guess i'd say me and jkun are free and down to go, kira and maple might be but idk what they are up to, zhu's gone, and idk if anyone else would be down

joeplicate

Smash Master
ummm alright LOL.

were you that samus i met at champ's tourney? ur wavedashes oos are super nice

yeah PM me your address and i guess i can get you, whatever we decide on doing for new years

Atlus8

Smash Master
We can have option 1 and 2! (The f**k with 3!) 818 can have their party at Dunker's and 805 can have it at . . . 805! This makes it easier for Dunk, otherwise it's gonna be too many people at his place and cleaning up after all y'all motherf***ers is a b!+c#

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
yeah id rather clean up thn drive

kira and jkun are already gonna be in the 805 around new years
(though im not sure if they have commitments the night of)

so homie 818ers can drive out

vegas car
as much as i want to see them, like, theyre going to vegas lol
so they should be less of a priority? dont really want to bother atrticulating my thoughs
lso this keyboard fu.king sucks

ill call dunk

Top Bottom