• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soaring Tornado Question

Juker

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed when using Dr Mario's Soaring Tornado custom that sometimes even when pressing the b button as quickly as possible, you will not gain vertical height, or very little. I think I've found a way to replicate the problem and am wondering if anyone can tell me what causes it or how to avoid it. If you go to Hyrule Temple, go to the far right of the stage to the top of the second platform, jump off and let yourself fall until you're below the ledge then use down b, you will gain very little vertical height with down b, especially compared to normal amount you gain. It seems like if you're in falling animation for a long time, the Soaring Tornado loses most of its height. Just to clarify, I'm aware that if you've already used the move once in the air, it wont' gain height the second time; this is not what I'm talking about.

Has anyone else noticed problems with this move? It makes it really unreliable when you're trying to use it for recovery, and gets me killed often. I'm wondering if anyone knows exactly why this happens, or if there is something you can do to avoid it, or if it's a glitch or something. Thanks

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think this applies to any of the tornado moves. I'm not sure what the technical reason is, but I've always interpreted it as the weight of the fall nullifying the tornado's upward momentum.

I find that a single jump followed by immediate down-b usually fixes it, though. But I'm no expert, just a casual Doc.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
I think this applies to any of the tornado moves. I'm not sure what the technical reason is, but I've always interpreted it as the weight of the fall nullifying the tornado's upward momentum.

I find that a single jump followed by immediate down-b usually fixes it, though. But I'm no expert, just a casual Doc.
Thanks for the reply. I've noticed you can still gain height after fast falling, which is weird. It seems like it just comes down to the amount of time you're in the air before attempting. Could be wrong, though. It's frustrating because it's nice to try and do it low and catch someone trying to guard you with the move's huge kb, but then it sometimes just gets me killed.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
It may be accidental B-Reversing. If you do B-Reverse Down-B, you lose about .5 seconds of momentum upwards. It is strange because it has happened to me a few times. I am not sure of the specifics of your problem, but this may or may not be the case.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Sweetspotting the single/double jump into down+b gets the most momentum for me as Doc with any tornado from my experience. I'm a vanilla Sm4sh player, but Doc's down+b is definitely difficult to gain momentum without a double jump in middair, even with mashing the hell out of the B button. Maybe it requires a certain sequence, and not just random mashing?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Sweetspotting the single/double jump into down+b gets the most momentum for me as Doc with any tornado from my experience. I'm a vanilla Sm4sh player, but Doc's down+b is definitely difficult to gain momentum without a double jump in middair, even with mashing the hell out of the B button. Maybe it requires a certain sequence, and not just random mashing?
It's easier to get momentum with Tornado and Cyclone if you mash after double jumping. But Tornado is easier to get max height (which isn't much) by mashing. Not sure what the rhythm is though.

It's worth noting that it has pretty decent horizontal distance. Keep that in mind when recovering.

Top Bottom