• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So why is it Palutena's customs and Mii's customs aren't allowed in tourneys?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Well, whatever the game "resets" to after being turned off could be considered the default, right? I mean, there's gotta be a reason to reverting to those options every time you boot up the game. 2 minute time battles, and the default stage selection cursor is on the random button, is it not?

We can even go further and say the initial state of the game is how it's meant to be played. Characters and stages locked, Miis not created, all items on and high.

What I'm trying to get at is that sometimes the "default" settings have to be tweaked.
Real men play Smash Bros by turning on the Wii U and just mashing start or A until they reach something where they can play and then they compete in that, because that is the true default. Only boys need to change to non-default options in the menu.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well, whatever the game "resets" to after being turned off could be considered the default, right? I mean, there's gotta be a reason to reverting to those options every time you boot up the game. 2 minute time battles, and the default stage selection cursor is on the random button, is it not?
You're free to set definitions however you'd like whatever "default" or "x" or "insert random word here" - but when it comes to rulecrafting there needs to be sound reasoning that holds to competitive principles (the principles are the absolute fundamentals that are required to have a competition to begin with).
So with concepts that exist in the software programming of the game we can agree are real and abide by, but any out-of-game concepts being argued must have sound reasoning that lead back to the fundamentals of our agreed-upon competitive principles (otherwise there would be no player vs player interaction).

We can even go further and say the initial state of the game is how it's meant to be played. Characters and stages locked, Miis not created, all items on and high.
Yes, that is possible and it always comes down to the question of "does this benefit competition?".
No, the default state of the game is not accepted as benefiting competition more than retaining our standard settings (if anyone disagrees with the standard they may reasonably be denied any competition at all).

What I'm trying to get at is that sometimes the "default" settings have to be tweaked.
If that's what you are trying to get at then I don't know why you are trying to point that out. I never disputed this point.
I am unmoved from my previous position of competitive standards - do not violate competitive principles. If something is to be banned/restricted a sound reasoning must be demonstrated. That's all I stand by as a competitive rulecrafter.
Providing sound reasoning or successfully challenging a principle can cause a change in the theory/practice of competition and that is a difficult challenge (one that I am not seeking to do unless a significant phenomenon emerges).

@Nah P Pegasus Knight @LancerStaff conversation: "unfair" should only refer to invoking a violation of the Fairness Principle for Competitive Theory - that is fairness for the competitors not the characters (or other game elements e.g. Stages, customs, etc.).

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm already with you on that one, chief.

We strip some stages away because they are demonstrably ridiculous. We gave 75m a try and learned that a stage of nothing but tiny platforms that get hit by falling KO-capable springboard hazards is no sane place for a competition; you spend more time fighting the stage than your opponent. I imagine you and I are in agreement on that.

We strip items away because they semi-randomly drop huge changes to the match into one player's hands. We gave them a fair try, found they were too disruptive and too prone to undoing a player's hard work on a lark, so off they went. We probably also agree on this.

We strip the Miis away because...?

Something about 'fairness', but this seems like an arbitrary reasoning when, every time we actually let the Miis out to play in a major tournament, they tend to get sent packing even if fielded in their optimized forms (as was the case at Evo 2015).

The community over-reacted to Brawler's Helicopter Kick combos, and now a loud minority and the TOs who are frightened by the effect they might have on attendance have been slow to correct this over-reaction.

We're probably in agreement on that, too.

I'm with you on that. We should give the Miis another try instead of shrieking "Jank! Begone!"

1FC0

Smash Lord
@Nah P Pegasus Knight @LancerStaff conversation: "unfair" should only refer to invoking a violation of the Fairness Principle for Competitive Theory - that is fairness for the competitors not the characters (or other game elements e.g. Stages, customs, etc.).
Unfair should also count for characters because some people are really dedicated to their character for example imagine a R.O.B. main who really loves R.O.B. being forced to play some lame top tier character because R.O.B. has no real potential to win due to some crappy matchup. That would suck so the game needs to be balanced between characters.

IMO the Mii's need customs cuz the game gives them customs when you turn it off and Palutena does not need customs cuz she does not get them when you turn them customs off and Palutena is lame anyway the Kid Icarus series has way too many playable characters in Smash and the Robot series only has 1 even though they could include Professor Hector and Professor Vector as clones which they should totally do.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Unfair should also count for characters because some people are really dedicated to their character for example imagine a R.O.B. main who really loves R.O.B. being forced to play some lame top tier character because R.O.B. has no real potential to win due to some crappy matchup. That would suck so the game needs to be balanced between characters.
Uh... hello, that was my entire professional career as a top R.O.B. player in Brawl!
And, no, I totally disagree with you, lol! I was a scrub for sticking with R.O.B. instead of switching over to a "lame top tier" *cough*MetaKnight*cough* - competition dictates that you play to win, not enforce out-of-game rulings to handicap your opponents - that is the realm of casual play! I wasn't interested in playing casually and wanted to see how far I could take the character and also could profit more from an image of playing R.O.B. so the profit vs scrub weighed heavily on my decision.

Violation of Fairness Principle still stands as pertaining to the Player, not the character (even though I completely sympathize with the situation). May the best man win... and may the low-tier hero reap the rewards for every win over the top tier users!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
IMO the Mii's need customs cuz the game gives them customs when you turn it off and Palutena does not need customs cuz she does not get them when you turn them customs off and Palutena is lame anyway the Kid Icarus series has way too many playable characters in Smash and the Robot series only has 1 even though they could include Professor Hector and Professor Vector as clones which they should totally do.
Well that isn't subjective or anything.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As a palutena main, I don't use her customs and yet I still do good with her. But I wanna try her with customs sometime, any recommendations for movesets?
Super Speed and Lightweight are mandatory. Jump Glide and Explosive Flame are also good alternatives to Warp and AR.

AmericanSaikyo

Smash Rookie
It's not fair because I made an awesome Dan Hibiki Mii brawler and now I can't main him in tourneys. :(

As a palutena main, I don't use her customs and yet I still do good with her. But I wanna try her with customs sometime, any recommendations for movesets?
Bombs, lightweight and superspeed. Go nuts!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really get it either, honestly. I thought how EVO went was proof that customs weren't anywhere as game breaking as people argued they were but apparently theorycraft trumps actual evidence in this situation. It's kind of jarring since there were several characters who could easily be marked as viable with customs on such as Paultena, WFT, and DK but I guess people will just have to ride this out like the Metaknight bans back in the day.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm going to play the game how I want, and if the way I prefer playing is with customs "Off" (as most of Ontario prefers), then I'm going to do just that. I personally believe that custom moves add a whole bunch of sillyness: call me a "scrub who isn't willing to learn" if you will, but the game gives me the option to turn them off and still enjoy it competitively, just like it gives me the option to turn stages off in the random choice and turn off items.

Now I will say, the Miis are still capable of using their other specials regardless of Customs being On or Off. I have been iffy on that rule since I saw the Apex ruleset, and honestly there is no reason to not allow their other special moves.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Why is this exact same debate with the exact same arguments being redone in three separate threads over and over and over?

Contact your TO if you want something done.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Partially because new participants drop by to trot out the same arguments against Mii freedom.

It's kind of like playing Whack-a-Mole, but with people who hate the idea of you having fun with Miis.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Partially because new participants drop by to trot out the same arguments against Mii freedom.

It's kind of like playing Whack-a-Mole, but with people who hate the idea of you having fun with Miis.
They hate us for our Mii Freedom.
Bush caused the conspiracy!

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
stuff shouldnt be banned without good reason, and seriously what is that people are afraid when it comes to mii's, what bad could possibly come as a result of them given access to their moves? even if they get to switch sets between games and thus tailor their characters in accordance with their opponents choice of characters would that even be problematic? none of the miis are even high tier characters in default size, hell they kinda suck and no one plays them, wouldnt it be nice if like more characters where played?

oh wait their movesets are sorta like customs because reasons and anything that smells like customs has to be banned because people are dumb

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Miis' special moves are banned because, by the time we are old enough to want to do something competitively, we despise anything that doesn't fit into our priorly created categories. Basically, we hate new things. Like Miis.

Palutena can't use her customs with customs off because they're customs, sadly.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
So a lot of people have been wondering what default is. Default is "a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."

1111 is default.
No size modifications is default.
3112 is not default.
Small miis are not default.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
… and? This isn't a "default" meta, this is a "non-customs" meta. If it was default… well, just look at the first page.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Even as a Palutena main, I'm indifferent (at the moment at least) to whether use customs or not.

However, I think it's a bit sad that Mii's get banned for it. It's sad when three completely unique characters get banned.

People might try the "Mii & Palutena customisation" approach only in the future, and we'll see how it affects it all.

If one thing, allowing customisation for Palutena might increase her use and more information about her overall will come forth by lots of people.

T0MMY

Smash Master
So a lot of people have been wondering what default is. Default is "a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."

1111 is default.
No size modifications is default.
3112 is not default.
Small miis are not default.
1111 could not be default given your definition. The software does not have a preselected Mii to choose from - a Mii must be created by a player before it can be used.
At best you are arguing that Mii fighters should be banned (in a "default" meta), but considering how that is a losing argument in our competitive arena (not a "default" meta) as it would entail that DLC and 'unlockable' characters would not be available for use as well as only default stages, I would rather not support that position of the argument.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Whether 1111 is default or not isn't really what matters anyways.

I think the only real aspect of customs for Miis that are a bit unfair relative to the other characters is the fact that you can change different moves out depending on the situation. If the community of each Mii could agree on an optimal/fair loadout for their respective Miis to use as a "default" then the problem is solved. Using the 1111 loadout just feels like a rushed solution that, like any rushed solution, doesn't work very well.

This is just an ideal solution, there might not even be enough support for miis to implement it.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
mii`s need some kind of restrictions imo. They are characters with unlimited possibilities, even with customs turned off in game you can have a mii of any size which changes their speed weight and much more, any gear, and an insane amount of different combinations for their specials. Whether or not they would be broken isnt the question, if we let mii`s do whatever they want they would be way too hard to prepare for and know how to fight properly in a tournament setting. That`s why i agree with the idea that if making mii`s legal in tournament, you should have to just simply go with default size and default specials, this makes mii brawler mii swordsman and mii gunner feel a lot more like legit characters. just like i cant change the size, weight and special moves of rosalina, any of the mii`s should be in the same boat.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
mii`s need some kind of restrictions imo. They are characters with unlimited possibilities, even with customs turned off in game you can have a mii of any size which changes their speed weight and much more, any gear, and an insane amount of different combinations for their specials. Whether or not they would be broken isnt the question, if we let mii`s do whatever they want they would be way too hard to prepare for and know how to fight properly in a tournament setting. That`s why i agree with the idea that if making mii`s legal in tournament, you should have to just simply go with default size and default specials, this makes mii brawler mii swordsman and mii gunner feel a lot more like legit characters. just like i cant change the size, weight and special moves of rosalina, any of the mii`s should be in the same boat.
They're definitely constrained. You're not going to get a Mii any faster than say, Mario or Pikachu. Tiny swordfighter and gunner are around Mario speed while tiny Brawler is kind of like Yoshi without any range and slightly more air speed.

Size is within reason. Tiny Miis are pretty much the same size as Toon Link, but without the stretchy limb animations. Weight barely differs, making them similar to combo. The frame that attacks come out is the same, so juggling/trapping them is also similar. Specials have the same frame data.

Foie

Smash Apprentice
Mii alternate specials are nothing like character customs.

Character customs are typically:
1: special move
2: same special move, but faster/bigger but less damage
3: same move, bit slower/smaller and more damage
(or they add a special characteristic like a windbox)

Mii alternate specials are entirely different moves, often sharing no similar properties to each other. Brawler goes from projectile to charge punch, gunner has a bomb or reflector. They are clearly different in game design than customs.

MLG has it right. Allow people to create their Mii fighter and only one of them for the tourney. That way they can't adjust depending on the matchup.

I've found people against miis (in my local scene) to be arrogant, stuborn, and prideful tbh.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Mii alternate specials are nothing like character customs.

Character customs are typically:
1: special move
2: same special move, but faster/bigger but less damage
3: same move, bit slower/smaller and more damage
(or they add a special characteristic like a windbox)

Mii alternate specials are entirely different moves, often sharing no similar properties to each other. Brawler goes from projectile to charge punch, gunner has a bomb or reflector. They are clearly different in game design than customs.
Well, where exactly would that leave Palutena then? All her specials are like the Mii Fighters in that they're all completely unique. Yet people call them "customs".

When people think of customs, they think of alternative specials. Palutena and the Mii Fighters all have unique specials, but they're still moves you have to equip, hence why everyone lumps them in with the other custom moves in the game.

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Is everyone going to keep parroting the same arguments until we all run out of popcorn? We might as well have an official thread for this topic. I'll admit it's been fun watching everybody run themselves in circles, but damn.

A simple disclaimer before I step up to the metaphorical podium: I support Mii "custom" moves. I also support Palutena's, Sheik's, ZSS's, Pikachu's, and the rest of the cast's "customs" as well. To support one and not the other is either blatant hypocrisy or the insistence of irrelevant and arbitrary rules that don't matter / have never mattered / should never, ever matter. Ever.

Now I'd like to take a moment and enlighten the thread about what "custom" really means, as many people here seem to be confused:

adjective

NORTH AMERICAN

adjective: custom

made or done to order for a particular customer.

"a custom guitar"
If the consensus of competitive play is to adopt a "customs off" approach (regardless of whether or not you personally disagree), then by definition it is applied so that the gameplay of characters cannot be altered from a presented state, meaning no "custom" moves sans the established default. This also means that you shouldn't be allowed to pick your Mii's size or specials, because to do so is to "make the Mii to order for you as a particular player."

Now to address the cancer that plagues this topic:

But wait! Mii's by their very nature have to be customized because fkgr fjdjgnecjtne fndjcnt Tidigrncig fngifnhkefk fjgidngdkg
But wait! Mii's do have default specials because gjckg cfofmdnvidnf fjvifngdkvnraggdnfkcn
Neither of these arguments matter. Like, at all. Here's why:

Let's say that a Customs Off meta is some bloke who's allergic to apples (customs), so you insist that he buy the green apples (Mii alternate specials) you're trying to sell instead based only on the fact that at face value, they look different. They are, however, fundamentally identical on the inside, which in the end is what matters when it ends up putting the bloke in the hospital. No matter how you try to dress up Mii's alternate moves, they are still fundamentally the same as customs when applied to gameplay.

Now as for the insistence that Customs Off should accommodate Mii's customs despite by its very definition banning them, accommodation can go both in favor or out of favor instead of simply allowing something when the solution isn't gift wrapped and dropped on your doorstep. If we cannot agree on Miis having default customs, then make up an official default. Obviously. It doesn't even have to be the crappiest set of moves, and doing so would put Mii's on even ground along with the rest of the cast as far as specials are concerned.

Now, you might argue that it isn't fair for Sheik, ZSS, Meta Knight, etc. to have their default gimmicks that the rest of the cast don't have - heck, Ryu gets to have alternate tilts! If so, then congratulations, you encourage variety in competitive Smash and support the Customs On movement. But trying to argue that Mii's or even Palutena deserve specials variety over other characters is incredibly biased and, let me reiterate, has absolutely no ground to stand on sans an arbitrary technicality in the menu.

Support Customs On.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If the consensus of competitive play is to adopt a "customs off" approach (regardless of whether or not you personally disagree), then by definition it is applied so that the gameplay of characters cannot be altered from a presented state
What does this mean? Who made up this definition? We already have clones that exist as alterations of other characters. Quite a few characters can also alter their gameplay mechanics midmatch.

Also, I don't see what Mii sizes have to do with their specials, they're different issues.

Do we ban items?

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
What does this mean? Who made up this definition?
This is the definition of the word "custom." Obviously.

We already have clones that exist as alterations of other characters.
We do. Those "clones" are also presented as entirely different characters. You're missing the point of what customizing means - two different models of a guitar, for example, aren't considered a custom order for a customer.

Quite a few characters can also alter their gameplay mechanics midmatch.
In what way? I thing you're confusing "altering" with "applying to different situations." The move isn't fundamentally different than it was before, it's simply introduced to new factors that result in different outcomes.

Also, I don't see what Mii sizes have to do with their specials, they're different issues.
It's still a customization of a character that fundamentally changes gameplay depending on which size you choose. Some attacks will hit you, some won't. It doesn't escape the issue.

Do we ban items?
We do. What's your point? Customizing characters and having set tournament rules that are there for a reason are two entirely different things. Nonetheless, if the rules are that characters can't be customized if those changes apply to gameplay, then the ability to change size / specials from a presented state pre-match is banned. If the rules are that items aren't allowed, items are banned.

You're assuming that my argument of using the characters in a presented (default) state if those characteristics change aspects of gameplay is also applying to factors outside of the characters, which simply isn't true. My apologies if I didn't make that abundantly clear.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
This is the definition of the word "custom." Obviously.
I guess I wasn't clear? "gameplay of characters cannot be altered from a presented state" touches so many different things that that definition doesn't make sense to use.

We do. Those "clones" are also presented as entirely different characters. You're missing the point of what customizing means - two different models of a guitar, for example, aren't considered a custom order for a customer.
You seem to be ignoring any technicalities for end results when applying your customs definition. The end result is that you have 2 slightly different variations of the same character, technicalities be damned. Clones aren't 2 different models, but they same model. That's why they're called clones. Pit and Dark Pit, Lucina and Marth, etc.

In what way? I thing you're confusing "altering" with "applying to different situations." The move isn't fundamentally different than it was before, it's simply introduced to new factors that result in different outcomes.
Shulk can freely choose a modification on his physics and damage. Kirby has access to any other character on the screen's neutral special. WFT can buff herself. These alter the characters' gameplay from their present states. If Mii fighters only had 1 set of specials, but could toggle between all of them midmatch, would that no longer be altering their gameplay? If not, throw Ryu in there as well.

It's still a customization of a character that fundamentally changes gameplay depending on which size you choose. Some attacks will hit you, some won't. It doesn't escape the issue.
They're completely different. You start to ban the concept of customization which is already inherent in quite a few characters. Makes no sense. Mii sizes are limited because of their feasibility to be properly implemented in large tournaments.

We do. What's your point? Customizing characters and having set tournament rules that are there for a reason are two entirely different things. Nonetheless, if the rules are that characters can't be customized if those changes apply to gameplay, then the ability to change size / specials from a presented state pre-match is banned. If the rules are that items aren't allowed, items are banned.

You're assuming that my argument of using the characters in a presented (default) state if those characteristics change aspects of gameplay is also applying to factors outside of the characters, which simply isn't true. My apologies if I didn't make that abundantly clear.
The thing is, we don't. If we banned items, there would be a ton of problems, just like it doesn't make sense to ban the concept of altering the gameplay of characters. Rulesets I see state that items are set to OFF and NONE, and I see nothing wrong attributing that same logic to special moves, customs set to ON/OFF, no need to deal with everyone's personal slightly different definitions of customs.

I don't think I'm making any assumptions about factors outside the characters..

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I guess I wasn't clear? "gameplay of characters cannot be altered from a presented state" touches so many different things that that definition doesn't make sense to use.

Then allow me to be more specific: a character's "presented state" is, simply put, determined by the rules. If the rules determine that you can't alter character attributes pre-match that would affect competitive play (smaller hitbox, different specials), then Sheik's presented state is specials 1,1,1,1. This is the legal character you're presented with that you're not allowed to alter pre-match. If the rules determine that Mii's default / presented state is small Mii with 1,1,1,1, 2,2,2,2, etc. then that is the legal character you're presented with that you're not allowed to alter pre-match.

You seem to be ignoring any technicalities for end results when applying your customs definition. The end result is that you have 2 slightly different variations of the same character, technicalities be damned. Clones aren't 2 different models, but they same model. That's why they're called clones. Pit and Dark Pit, Lucina and Marth, etc.

You're talking to a CGI modeler. No, they're not the same model. They're two similar models with different gameplay attributes. The only similarities they have is vague model shape and animations that follow similar vague themes. This argument is subjective. It's like claiming the PS1 and PS2 are the same model console. Different, but similarly themed.

Shulk can freely choose a modification on his physics and damage mid-match. Kirby has access to any other character on the screen's neutral special mid-match. WFT can buff herself mid-match

Bolded for emphasis. You're taking these definitions to their illogical conclusions. The Customs Off ruleset applies to altering character traits pre-match. Otherwise, what the heck do you think it's supposed to mean?

If Mii fighters only had 1 set of specials, but could toggle between all of them midmatch, would that no longer be altering their gameplay? If not, throw Ryu in there as well.
It would no longer be altering their gameplay, yes. It's basically the same concept as Shulk's Monado, Pacman's projectiles, or even Ness / Lucas' PK Thunder. Alteration IS the gameplay for these characters. The same can't be said for Mii's, since their alteration doesn't take place during matches.

They're completely different. You start to ban the concept of customization which is already inherent in quite a few characters mid-match. Makes no sense. Mii sizes are limited because of their feasibility to be properly implemented in large tournaments.
Bolded for emphasis. See above.

The thing is, we don't. If we banned items, there would be a ton of problems, just like it doesn't make sense to ban the concept of altering the gameplay of characters. Rulesets I see state that items are set to OFF and NONE, and I see nothing wrong attributing that same logic to special moves, customs set to ON/OFF, no need to deal with everyone's personal slightly different definitions of customs.
Ah, now this is where you weren't being specific enough. The problem with this is that if you tried to do this in a tournament where Mii's are banned. You'll get disqualified. This is because the rules for Customs Off are a lot more complicated than simply flipping the item switch or a blanket customization ban. Complicated rules exist, and it isn't always a bad thing. Items simply have an easier to understand solution compared to Customs Off.

The rule makers are responsible for making their rules abundantly clear, but logically people can't just say "Customs Off means the switch in the menu is turned off so anything else goes" when Mii's are banned under that ruleset. The logical conclusion here is that they've misunderstood the rules.

I don't think I'm making any assumptions about factors outside the characters..
My mistake, then.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Then allow me to be more specific: a character's "presented state" is, simply put, determined by the rules. If the rules determine that you can't alter character attributes pre-match that would affect competitive play (smaller hitbox, different specials), then Sheik's presented state is specials 1,1,1,1. This is the legal character you're presented with that you're not allowed to alter pre-match. If the rules determine that Mii's default / presented state is small Mii with 1,1,1,1, 2,2,2,2, etc. then that is the legal character you're presented with that you're not allowed to alter pre-match.
The rules don't state that. Most places will say that customs are set to OFF. That means anything else goes pretty much. Some other places say that the notion of customization is banned. This leads us to have to interpret/understand all that it implies. This is when we go into the silly presented state discussion. It's easier to just state that customs are set to OFF and let the game do the rest. The game rules seem to be the easiest to follow in this regard.

Pre-match vs midmatch doesn't have anything to do with it, but the fact that the gameplay is being altered remains the same. You'll have to deal with similar things regardless.

You're talking to a CGI modeler. No, they're not the same model. They're two similar models with different gameplay attributes. The only similarities they have is vague model shape and animations that follow similar vague themes. This argument is subjective. It's like claiming the PS1 and PS2 are the same model console. Different, but similarly themed.
Are we on the same page? Difference between Dark Pit and Pit are pretty similar to the difference between a 1233 and 1333 Mii. Small differences to the same character, ignoring any technicalities, that's the end result. Why allow clones if you aren't allowing the other? I'm not talking about models, and even then it doesn't matter too much since the hurtboxes/hitboxes under the hood describe everything(well, for the most part).

Ignoring the Customs OFF toggle is pretty much just throwing everything out the window at that point. Disallow any sort of variation in characters pre-match or during the match, the end results are similar. Just makes sense to me from my experiences with designing games. Gameplay and game mechanics are typically focus around the rules/boundaries set by the game.

If Customs were set to ON, we would naturally need another rule for banning equipment since there's no in-game differentiation and equipment aren't competitive. (If they were competitively viable, then that's a whole other discussion, lol)

Bolded for emphasis. You're taking these definitions to their illogical conclusions. The Customs Off ruleset applies to altering character traits pre-match. Otherwise, what the heck do you think it's supposed to mean?
Nah, I'm going by the definition given to me about altering gameplay that you proposed. I believe that Customs Off is everything that the game pretty much defines. No need to extrapolate on my part or make up my own definitions for people to agree since it's mandated by the game what I can/can't do with my character's choice of specials.

It would no longer be altering their gameplay, yes. It's basically the same concept as Shulk's Monado, Pacman's projectiles, or even Ness / Lucas' PK Thunder. Alteration IS the gameplay for these characters. The same can't be said for Mii's, since their alteration doesn't take place during matches.
Moving goalposts/argument wording? There's no difference between during the match or pre-match outside it being worse during the match. Why make this differentiation when the end results are the same? Or one can just accept that the feature for Miis to change their specials pre-match is the gameplay for these characters.. That makes the most logical sense to me.

Bolded for emphasis. See above.
Moving goalpost. What makes pre-match so important and who defined it that way? End results are similar enough, no?

Ah, now this is where you weren't being specific enough. The problem with this is that if you tried to do this in a tournament where Mii's are banned. You'll get disqualified. This is because the rules for Customs Off are a lot more complicated than simply flipping the item switch or a blanket customization ban. Complicated rules exist, and it isn't always a bad thing. Items simply have an easier to understand solution compared to Customs Off.
It is quite often a bad thing. If little Jimmy asks "Why?" it should be simple and easy to understand/explain, but this is what, one of 10 threads across here and reddit that have discussed this? The solutions are pretty much the same for both Items and Customs: Turn the switch off! lol, that simple. Things like stages have a precise method so we can limit it to the competitively accepted and have a swift and clean experience.

The rule makers are responsible for making their rules abundantly clear, but logically people can't just say "Customs Off means the switch in the menu is turned off so anything else goes" when Mii's are banned under that ruleset. The logical conclusion here is that they've misunderstood the rules.
Yes they can, and it's easy, too. "Customs are set to OFF" no extra wording needed. That's as simple as you can get.

My mistake, then.
If I'm making any mistakes reading your posts, please point them out! :)

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Or one can just accept that the feature for Miis to change their specials pre-match is the gameplay for these characters.. That makes the most logical sense to me.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but I also want to point out that almost every character has that feature. It feels like so many people are saying that it is the designed gameplay for Mii Fighters and Palutena to customize them, but this applies to every character in the game except for DLC characters. If you have to flick a switch or if a character's moves are similar to their other specials is not relevant to determine that all of those characters have that feature.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
For the love of Arceus, please stop looking at Miis like every other character. They are fundamentally different from the rest of the cast when it comes to special moves. The entirety of the roster excluding Miis have customs that are only intended to be played with casually, as a fun add on without serious aspirations. Sakurai has more or less said this before. Miis, however, are a special case. They are the create-a-character of Smash 4. Their alternate specials being freely available is integral to their design. Their alternate specials are their capstone. We know this because of the way the menu works. Miis have all of their special moves available with the customs switch set to off. This is not arbitrary, this is not an exploit, and this is not an oversight. This is 100% intentional. Patches have not changed this. Tourney mode has a switch specifically for Miis, because they're custom characters.

We also know this because, every time a new Mii Fighter is created, you must go through the customs/equipment screen. We must look at Miis through a different lens because they are different. They are intended to have all of their moves. Their specials are the same as Kirby's Inhale, Shulk's Monado Arts, Rosalina's Luma, DK's cargo throw, Mac's super armor, Bowser's 'tough guy' armor, Olimar's Pikmin, and Mario's mustache. They're just another unique part of the characters. In fact, they're less significant because, unlike most of the moves/qualities I've listed, they are static during battle.

Palutena, unlike Miis, is just like every other character. She just happens to have really cool custom moves. But that's what they are. Custom moves, which are not allowed when we ban custom moves.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
The entirety of the roster excluding Miis have customs that are only intended to be played with casually, as a fun add on without serious aspirations. Sakurai has more or less said this before.
Uhm what? How did you come to this conclusion? Sakurai has said that every character should have three variations of their special moves when he presented the idea for the game. He didn't say that two of those variations are more intended for casual play than competitive play as far as I know.

So why is customization off by default and not allowed in For Glory? This is only something that I can speculate on, but I would think that it's mostly because they decided that customization (custom specials + custom equipment) should be unlockable and that custom equipment is complex and can have ridiculous and unpredicted results. They probably didn't want to put things that could be so unfamiliar in the online matchmaking and default lobby to make it easier for newer players. My speculation would then lead to that custom specials are not for the more casual players, but for the people that want to explore the deeper parts of the game. I'm not going to put this out as some objective fact, but you should be able to see why I think as I do.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that Mii characters shouldn't be allowed in a customs off meta. I honestly couldn't care less about the customs off meta at all.

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Custom moves are custom moves. Mii fighters always use custom moves, that's just how the game works.
That being said, I still believe Mii fighters should be able to use whatever customs they feel needed; that's the premise of the character, and I believe it's completely fair. This of course obviously is just my opinion. I have no opinion on the Palutena dispute, though.

Also, doesn't this discussion already exist? We also already have the custom moveset project.. so I don't understand?

So the moral is, don't use Palutena, ever. (Unless customs are on :>)
That is completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Uhm what? How did you come to this conclusion? Sakurai has said that every character should have three variations of their special moves when he presented the idea for the game. He didn't say that two of those variations are more intended for casual play than competitive play as far as I know.

So why is customization off by default and not allowed in For Glory? This is only something that I can speculate on, but I would think that it's mostly because they decided that customization (custom specials + custom equipment) should be unlockable and that custom equipment is complex and can have ridiculous and unpredicted results. They probably didn't want to put things that could be so unfamiliar in the online matchmaking and default lobby to make it easier for newer players. My speculation would then lead to that custom specials are not for the more casual players, but for the people that want to explore the deeper parts of the game. I'm not going to put this out as some objective fact, but you should be able to see why I think as I do.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that Mii characters shouldn't be allowed in a customs off meta. I honestly couldn't care less about the customs off meta at all.
I believe what Sakurai said was that custom moves are something that you use when you want to "cheat" against one of your friends. Then there's the fact that customs were barely touched in patches until recently. However, this is really just Sakurai's opinion. You should know I'm more pro-customs than not. I wasn't trying to put customs down, just differentiate between customs and Mii specials. Customs were intended to be used only with customs on. Mii specials were intended to be used whenever.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I believe what Sakurai said was that custom moves are something that you use when you want to "cheat" against one of your friends. Then there's the fact that customs were barely touched in patches until recently. However, this is really just Sakurai's opinion. You should know I'm more pro-customs than not. I wasn't trying to put customs down, just differentiate between customs and Mii specials. Customs were intended to be used only with customs on. Mii specials were intended to be used whenever.
As a side effect of Customization only being distinct from "Customs" in select corners of tourney mode, this is a case of unclear meaning that can be construed however the reader wishes. It's also not convincing when most customs are weaker than most defaults. I'll let my opponent cheat any day if it makes them worse, after all.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I believe what Sakurai said was that custom moves are something that you use when you want to "cheat" against one of your friends.
Customization, not custom specials. I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the combination of custom specials and custom equipment. Equipment could most certainly be seen as cheating, but custom specials are not nearly on the same level as equipment.

Top Bottom