• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, why don't we have a comprehensive match-up strategy thread yet?

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I don't know either, so that's why I decided to make one.
A common question on these boards is "How do I beat character x with Samus?", which makes sense, as Samus has more than a couple of problem match ups. I think it'd be a great help to the Samus playing community if we can offer a comprehensive resource on matchups.

My plan for this guide is to make it a collection of insightful commentary, anything useful that can be dug up from past threads would be much appreciated.

A shortlist of problem match-ups for Samus (not in any order):
Pit (Would love to see Jasona/Undrdog's analysis)
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Olimar
Marth
Snake ('Cause he's a problem for everyone lol.)
Toon Link
(Any in particular should or shouldn't be here?)

While tips for all match-ups are welcome, I feel these could get some priority.

Bowser -
Captain Falcon -
Diddy Kong -
Donkey Kong -
Falco-
Fox -
Ganondorf -
Ice Climbers -
Ike -
Jiggleypuff -
King Dedede-
Kirby -
Link -
Lucario-
Lucas -
Luigi -
Mario -
Marth-
Meta Knight -
Mr. Game & Watch-
Ness -
Olimar-
Peach -
Pikachu -
Pit -
Pokémon Trainer -
R.O.B -
Samus -
Sheik -
Snake -
Sonic -
Toon Link -
Wario -
Wolf -
Yoshi -
Zelda -
Zero Suit Samus -

ADHD

Smash Hero
Because everyone would rather win with meta or snake, then take their time to develope skill with a much more challenging character.

My hardest matchup on the whole roster is meta, I can deal with snakes, but meta....

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Just to be honest, I made this same plea in the Zelda boards.

I don't understand Peach at all. I mean her moves make no sense to me, which I take to be exactly why it's so easy for just any decent player to kick my butt - no matter which character I use, of course.

But I'm asking here anyway. I see Peach has not come up - I've seen that it's a good matchup but I can't find an actual analysis.
So, how does Samus work against Peach? What does a Peach not like, and how can I predict what a Peach will do?

Also,

9:1
Meta vs. Samus
--There's no hope. Counterpick a different character.
why?

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
I have hella a lot of problems with Wolf. Both of my losses at my last tourney were to wolfs. I can't edge game them because Wolf's lazer is evil. He also has so much range with his attacks.

Peach is easy. Samus' Zair makes it so Peach's float is useless. Peach likes to approach from the air so this cuts her options by a lot. All Samus needs to do is keep Peach at bay. Vertically, peach can be gimped easy (her 2nd jump is crap). Pretty much the only thing Samus needs to watch out for is Peach's Fair. Most of her other moves won't KO. Poor Peach = /

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
a wolf should be manageable.. I have problems against decent olimars. It's really hard to get close and connect, especially because of his size.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I have hella a lot of problems with Wolf. Both of my losses at my last tourney were to wolfs. I can't edge game them because Wolf's lazer is evil. He also has so much range with his attacks.

Peach is easy. Samus' Zair makes it so Peach's float is useless. Peach likes to approach from the air so this cuts her options by a lot. All Samus needs to do is keep Peach at bay. Vertically, peach can be gimped easy (her 2nd jump is crap). Pretty much the only thing Samus needs to watch out for is Peach's Fair. Most of her other moves won't KO. Poor Peach = /
Zair OWNS space animals, it gets them to be forced to get in close, and you control everything from there.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
MK is NOT impossible. A hard match-up yes, but you can break him down. I would put Olimar up there with her worst match-up. Other than those two, no one else seems to be a particular problem.

ADHD

Smash Hero
MK is NOT impossible. A hard match-up yes, but you can break him down. I would put Olimar up there with her worst match-up. Other than those two, no one else seems to be a particular problem.
I haven't went against a great oli yet, but having absolutey no space over having little options of attack a teeny toddler, I'd pick having little options to attack.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I don't know either, so that's why I decided to make one.
A common question on these boards is "How do I beat character x with Samus?", which makes sense, as Samus has more than a couple of problem match ups. I think it'd be a great help to the Samus playing community if we can offer a comprehensive resource on matchups.

My plan for this guide is to make it a collection of insightful commentary, anything useful that can be dug up from past threads would be much appreciated.

A shortlist of problem match-ups for Samus (not in any order):
Pit (Would love to see Jasona/Undrdog's analysis)
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Olimar
Marth
Snake ('Cause he's a problem for everyone lol.)
Toon Link
(Any in particular should or shouldn't be here?)

While tips for all match-ups are welcome, I feel these could get some priority.
Once I actully get some strategy, I'll organize it by character in alphabetical order.

For now... post away.
I've beaten you to it, Subach. I wish it were stickied. Please see The Chozo Warrior: A Samus Guide 2.0 by Dryn.

I'm busy, and it can be difficult to organize things around. However, I have already organized mine in a manner that I think is good enough. If I should make any alterations, you can send me a PM. We really don't need another thread about match-up lists, especially since I am going to be adding things over time. This thread is active, that is to say, that there will be further updates in the future. My thread was the first to handle questions regarding the match-up list for Samus. Doomgaze simply made his thread as a guide for Samus, but not as a match-up list and metagames.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
Didn't notice your guide, Dryn.
Personally, I think it could use a bit more detail on the properties of moves, like Doomgaze's.
Nonetheless, I'll attempt to maintain this, feel free to use any information I find, though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Didn't notice your guide, Dryn.
Personally, I think it could use a bit more detail on the properties of moves, like Doomgaze's.
That's why we have Darkhart. He created a thread, which can be found in my thread under External Links, regarding the function of Samus' attacks. For example, while I explain that Samus' u-smash does 23%, though it can vary, Darkhart goes into further detail by showing how much the first strike does, followed up by the other several strikes, which makes 23% total.

I did not add priority in my Basic Techniques, because Doomgaze had already done this. I would feel guilty if I were to just take his information regarding this aspect and place it in my own. Of course, I could give him credit, but still, I'd feel the necessity in asking him if I could use his information. Like I noted before, there will be further updates in the future, so what is not in my thread right now, does not mean that it won't be there tomorrow.

Top Bottom