• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So who is the biggest third party icon not in Smash?

Same as the topic

• Lara Croft

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Crash Bandicoot

Votes: 45 25.4%
  • Steve

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • Master Cheif

Votes: 38 21.5%
  • Bomber Man

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Frogger

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Q*bert

• Crash Bandicoot

• Altair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rayman

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • Kratos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sora

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Spyro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Doomguy

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Rayman just because he's been relevant for a lot longer than Crash. There was a period in between the last Crash game and the N-Sane Trilogy where Bandicoot was almost forgotten about. While Rayman isn't that popular nowadays, the series at least consistently releases new titles.

D

Deleted member

Surprised to see Crash winning the poll.
He's a big icon for sure, but bigger than Doom Guy? Bigger than Master Chief? I don't think so.
The problem, that some users have mentioned, is that when you talk about the status of a franchise, is it because of the concept of the game, or the characters?

People can get testy about it, but the truth is you have to assume people have vague recollections of stuff, and when you say "DOOM", you have to assume the median response is "Oh, that game where you shoot demons!" without knowing there were originally three episodes in the first game and the first was just shareware, not to mention the lore about mega corporations doing shady experiments and tampering with the universe. Heck, as much as people like to forget about DOOM 3, the reality is you aren't really a badass in that game. It played more like a survival horror game than a shooter because the emphasis was placed more on the atmosphere than combat. You will probably notice a trend on this list where I mention characters who may be popular now, but as another user commented, were at one point going the way of Frogger.

Minecraft is another example. Okay, I know people may get upset if you call Steve "Minecraft Guy", but again, you must rationalize.

So, here's my list:

1. Master Chief: Microsoft doesn't have many known IPs, and even fewer successful IPs (I mean, look at stuff like Blinx, Sneakers, Kung Fu Chaos, Kakuko Chojin, and Voodoo Vince from the early Xbox days), but if there's a dude that embodies the history of Microsoft Studios, it's Master Chief. I keep suggesting that if we get Banjo & Kazooie, Master Chief is a likely contender because Microsoft isn't just going to give them one character and not insist they add a few more as DLC incentive.

2. Rayman: While other characters have had a larger impact, aside from Master Chief, nobody has really had the longevity as Rayman. I mean, it's difficult to name a BAD Rayman game that didn't feature Rabbids, while with some of the others you could bat off every game they had in the mid 2000s and it seemed like they were destined to fade into obscurity, and the character was reinvented several times to successful results.

3. Crash Bandicoot: Before Sony became lush with IPs (the exact opposite of Microsoft), Crash Bandicoot became the face of the gaming console before sports games and RPGs found their home on the system after not wanting to put up with the Nintendo 64, and at one point, he was just as big as Mario & Sonic. The irony here is that if you asked about Crash Bandicoot ten years ago, people would act like he was a tired relic of yesteryear, as most of his games around that timeframe either were awful (Crash Boom Bang, Crash of the Titans) or forgettable (Twinsanity, Tag Team Racing). It wasn't until the N. Sane Trilogy that people paid attention and realized how cool he was in the first place.

4. Lara Croft: The weird thing about Lara Croft is that while her games are popular, she's got two distinctive periods and between those, she was in the same situation as Crash Bandicoot; only she got revitalized first. The first period was during the mid to late 1990s when she was arguably the most sexualized video game character ever and, unlike a Duke Nukem who was designed to be a joke character, didn't leave much to the stories each game told. After a wandering period (as third party characters tend to), the series was redeveloped as a survival sandbox game that did a 180 on Lara, where she's now a tortured soul. And although SquareEnix (who own what was Eidos) has Cloud in the game, if we see another SE entity, it's either Super Mario RPG or Dragon Quest.

5. Scorpion: In the 1990s, Street Fighter AND Mortal Kombat went hand-in-hand as arcade juggernauts, with each catering to a specific crowd (one wanted frantic combat, and the other wanted all that gore), and unlike the previous two, the series didn't have a completely awful 2000s (Shaolin Monks, aka Anthologies: Liu Kang, & Armageddon are both pretty good games), so the fact that when Midway became Netherrealm Studios, they were still able to make good games in the series and even improve on some of the franchise's early shortcomings. The problem is... whether fans want to argue about it, the reason you will never see Street Fighter cross over with Mortal Kombat like they with SNK, Marvel Comics, Tekken, and even an anime studio is simple; whenever you took away the Fatalities and all that gruesome stuff, people complained. That's why people hated the cartoon, that's why they hated the SNES version of the original Kombat, and that's one of the reasons why any overall attempt to make a Teen-rated installment is poo-poo'd. You could counter that argument with Injustice, but Injustice plays as close to Mortal Kombat as possible while keeping a Teen rating.

Last edited by a moderator:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Scorpion has my vote. Haha Scorpion just make sense, he's missing and the realization for him is rising. Scorpion, like Crash, is destined to be in Smash now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I say Steve, given how recognizable Minecraft's art style is.

Though, I don't think being a huge icon is a requirement for third parties anymore. Even if you exclude Bayo, we still got Ken, Richter, Joker, Banjo-Kazooie and not-as-iconic DQ Heroes.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno

Unless you are counting him as part of a first party franchise or I guess 2nd Party

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Geno

Unless you are counting him as part of a first party franchise or I guess 2nd Party
He's a third party character, but I wouldn't call him big in anywhere except Smash speculation.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
It's a toss up between Chief and Crash. Crash has (or at least had) the popularity in Japan to back him up.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Out of that selection I'd say it boils down to either Scorpion or Master Chief and since there are 2d fighting game characters in the game already while we still have nobody from a 1st person shooter... going to use that as the tie breaker. Master Chief it is. Sure Minecraft Steve is from a game that is arguable just as if not more successful than MK and Halo as well as represents a genre we haven't seen represented in smash yet but... going to be biased. At least I can admit when I am.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would like to say Crash, but it's Master Chief honestly. Reason why is because Chief is the face of Xbox just like how Mario is the face for Nintendo and Sonic is the face for Sega. Whether you like the Halo series or not, Master Chief is a gaming icon up there with Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yet at the end of the day, only the Smash Community should matter.
I disagree. Smash speculation circles where Geno is popular are notoriously closed-off to large Smash fandom. You can easily see it from how much hype Joker and Hero created despite not being big names in fan pools.

Geno isn't an icon in any way when you look beyond Smash forums.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I would say Crash. He’s the last big third party icon I can think of besides Spyro, but then again I’m mainly just thinking in terms of 90’s gaming. He was the Mario of PlayStation back in the day.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
In Japan, I think Arle actually has a damn good claim to this title now that Dragon Quest has made the jump.

In the west, it's probably Jonesy or Master Chief.

Worldwide, Crash if we're looking at viable playable characters, Creeper overall, and a Tetromino if you stretch the definition of character.

StormC

Smash Hero
My gut says Crash but it's probably Steve. I think "Minecraft avatar" is recognizable but the name Steve generally gets changed instantly by players.

Yet at the end of the day, only the Smash Community should matter.
I mean Smash Ultimate sold over 12 million in a month. Those weren't all people who post on the internet about who should be in the roster.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
The biggest names are probably Steve, Jonesy, and a Clash Royale character. (I wish I was joking. ) Aside from default avatars and mobile gaming characters, Master Chief is likely the most recognizable in the west; I'm unsure about the east, though.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Depends on what you mean by "biggest". If were talking purely sales numbers (which is a great indicator of popularity) then the biggest character on the poll given would probably be Steve. Determining the popularity of a character is difficult to determine purely from sale numbers though unless the series has a consistent protagonist and that protagonist is promoted heavily. Steve seems to fit these qualifiers. GTA and CoD are even bigger than Minecraft, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in any particular character from those franchises. After Steve I'd have to say someone like Jill Valentine or Lara Croft.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meanwhile I'm wondering how on earth Rayman is beating Lara Croft. She's one of the very few third parties who have reached household name status.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Meanwhile I'm wondering how on earth Rayman is beating Lara Croft. She's one of the very few third parties who have reached household name status.
Gwen said it best. Character support threads and probably this whole site in general is a echo chamber.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Lara has managed to get three movies. She's crossed over from videogames to just popculture in general.

I'd say Scorpion and Sub-Zero are about on that level as well, perhaps a bit lower because the focus is shared more but they still have quite a few movies and even had a cartoon series.

I'd also rank Q*bert really high as he's one of those characters people recognize without even really being into videogames.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Something something Smash bubble.

On a serious note, Tomb Raider doesn't have its old popularity, and it's easier for people to forget about it.

D

Deleted member

If I am honest, Crash is a character who would produce a huge amount of hype not only on the West, but even the East.

He has such a positive mark in Japan that many key elements or fan favourite stuff from the series were born there (Penta Penguin, the Crash dance, Fake Crash...)

While I can understand why some people are meh about the character, he would likely be a hype announcement in Japan if he got in.

Not trying to take out the importance of other picks doh, since Steve would also be a huge deal as a potential first rep from the sandbox genre and the popularity of Minecraft.

If I am honest, I would have made the option of many choices for the thread's poll available. I would have chosen both Crash and Steve.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Just throwing it out there that Kratos and the Chief aren't really 3rd parties but 1st party properties of competing studios.
chief could be an arguable exception due to Ninty and Micro having a working relationship as far back as the GBA/DS days but Kratos really shouldn't be on the poll at all.
Jill Valentine is a very notable omission here especially due to being a protagonist of the best selling Capcom series ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Before ending my apportation on the thread regarding Crash and Steve, I wanted to share a small bit of trivia:

Back when Sony was promoting the first PlayStation and Crash 1 at a conference where Nintendo was also present, Miyamoto himself got to play the game and did not only praise the game itself, but also Naughty Dog.

Just wanted to share that since I got tempted to do so.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just throwing it out there that Kratos and the Chief aren't really 3rd parties but 1st party properties of competing studios.
chief could be an arguable exception due to Ninty and Micro having a working relationship as far back as the GBA/DS days but Kratos really shouldn't be on the poll at all.
Jill Valentine is a very notable omission here especially due to being a protagonist of the best selling Capcom series ever.
There's literally no distinction there. From Nintendo's viewpoint, Sony and Microsoft are third parties.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Jon Halo is pretty iconic, i'm surprised he's not in yet (though i'd take Banjo as the microsoft rep any day <3 )

D

Deleted member

I would say the first 4 options are good, dunno why there's two Crash options but he must be very popular :b

Also, why is Bomberman in the poll? He is an AT so he is in Smash already and Rayman as well if you count spirits. At least rename the poll for newcomer to prevent idiots like myself making crappy comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I would say the first 4 options are good, dunno why there's two Crash options but he must be very popular :b

Also, why is Bomberman in the poll? He is an AT so he is in Smash already and Rayman as well if you count spirits. At least rename the poll for newcomer to prevent idiots like myself making crappy comments.
The poll was made before E3 2018.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I don't see dante which is sad considering how much he's the hack'n slash icon, without him kratos and bayonetta probably wouldn't even exist and he's pretty popular too.

So i go with crash who seems to be one of the most logical answers

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Scorpion would be awesome. Especially if he has his Klassic design from the original arcade trilogy.

Sub-Zero could be an Echo with different specials.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I'd say Crash and Lara. They were bona fide pop culture icons in their PS1 heyday, on the level of a Mario, Pac-Man or Sonic. Based on that merit, Scorpion and maybe Master Chief as well.

Top Bottom