• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SO. Who else is Staying away from online play? I am. Here's why.

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Wrong, online doesn't suck.
Just for you. And those of us who ARE having a lag problem. I have to say that I have experienced it, but it isn't every single match and it only happens on rare occaisons with me, anyway.

My advice, get a faster router.
Cut down the number of utilities that are using that router.
The like.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Actually I have noticed that it is usually not my connection but someone else's in the game. It will lag for awhile and then really slow down. After awhile it suddenly speeds up and one of the player's will start acting completely ******** (replaced by a CPU). I wouldn't doubt that my ****ty dorm connection has something to do with it but its not always me.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
At the same time there are several people not having problems with it... seems to be situational.

spindash

Smash Ace
I agree that online, if there's gonna be a considerable amount of lag, that you shouldn't use it for serious training to get better. ^^ However! I wouldn't give up online just yet.

If anything, I think the change in muscle reflexes and etc. is good for online, if only to better get your senses going and timing lag better. That way, when you're actually playing offline with other competitive players, your reflexes only improve. That's what I have found anyways. If that doesn't work for you, to each their own.

I think that online is a great thing for improving to an extent. BUT! You shouldn't rely on it to 100% reflect your skills.

So long as you keep in mind that the lag will influence how you play online and that you're just gonna have some fun, it's a great thing to do and play if you're outta luck on playing others offline.

Heck, for me, playing others online is a great way for me to get practice in on perfecting the timing of Spin Dash combos and etc. with my Sonic.

But your reasonings for not doing online are perfectly understandable. You've got the option of getting a better router/connection, dealing with the online lag, or sticking to offline training. Either way, it all works. ^_^

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
It isn't just a game, its a competitive sport.

But lag shouldn't happen all the time, some people play lagless or barely any lag at all. Although I get lag most of the times, I still play online just for fun and its better than driving all the way to your friends house just to play one match.

No.

No it is not.

Quit lying to yourself.

It is a competive GAME; nothing more, nothing less.

Even THAT might not even be true for Brawl considering how shaky the ground is regarding Brawl's competitive future.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
No.

No it is not.

Quit lying to yourself.

It is a competive GAME; nothing more, nothing less.

Even THAT might not even be true for Brawl considering how shaky the ground is regarding Brawl's competitive future.
You mean like football?

Whenever I'm having a bad lag day I just pick Captain Falcon and PAUNCH my way to victory. It's amazingly effective. It hasn't been so bad the last few days though.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
You mean like football?

Whenever I'm having a bad lag day I just pick Captain Falcon and PAUNCH my way to victory. It's amazingly effective. It hasn't been so bad the last few days though.
Football is atheletic. Physical. People get hurt. It also has a stammering fat white haired old guy.

Brawl is a video game. To call it a sport in comparison to athletic sports such as Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc...

It never settled well for me.

A MENTAL SPORT? 'k. Just elaborate on that and you are gold.

To call it just a "sport" though... ew.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I cant stand the lag either, its ridiculous and im not going through portforwarding until its proven it works. Ive done it for my xbox and its not fun.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I'm staying away from online play too. But only because I have to since my cat 6 cable decided to stop working.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
You have to consider that not everyone is lucky enough to have friends that play Smash Bros. My friends are console FPS players with little interest in playing Smash seriously.

With that said, WiFi is a huge step up from just CPUs. If you have access to serious smash players that you can play locally, then fine, but don't use that kind of blessing to look down upon a feature for the less fortunate.

I still intend to go to tournaments in public places. WiFi is simply a means where I don't have to get my mother to drive me to stranger's houses just to play a video game.

Yes, I do get input delay, but with how much fun I am having, I think it is well worth it.

superninja

Smash Cadet
yeah...well, when you play Jump Ultimate Stars, you really get used to the lag...so it isn't too bad for me.

anoshmo

Smash Rookie
I dont have Brawl yet, but I understand how much lag sux. I have an HDTV in my living room, and the lag is so bad i cant even play guitar hero, even with calibration tests. If i am planning to play Brawl, I'm going to stay safe on a normal TV like the one I'm using now. (yes, I can only use Wii internet with the help of my neighbor's wifi)

Sigurd_von_Hosenfeld

Smash Rookie
I agree. All the matches that I have played so far have been HORRIBLE due to the lag. To put things on perspective, a 2 minute match lasts more than 5 real minutes. I have managed to win on all of them but still the game is barely playable at that bloody speed.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I agree, and the lag does piss me off sometimes cause its screws up my game. But I've had quite a few lag-free matches, i'm hoping maybe nintendo will fix it up soon, back up their servers or something(Don't know how that works).

wwepatriot

Smash Cadet
Lag. its as simple as that.

I'm a competitive player and the only use of playing anyone online would be to play better competition, different play styles and better my game. But now that i have played a couple matches online, the lag is terrible. AT BEST there was STILL the lag that a HD TV would have when playing melee. I refused to play on HD TV's because of that lag. Yes, i know that brawl is not the frame perfect game that melee was but lag still greatly handicaps my game. I'd rather play with my friends and get used to all the aspects of brawl offline.

I WOULD have used online play to train. But lag messes up the entire system. Everything that is important while training, i.e. muscle memory, timing and spacing is compromised.

Extensive training online will only lead to a very frustrating tournament day.

agree? disagree? discuss.
Lag aint the problem stay away from using wireless router and get the Lan Adapter and it will help.

I am staying away from competitive play for the simple reason people who imported Japanese Wii's and Brawl have huge advantages right now.

I may play friendly battles, but nothing competitive as for a ladder because of the reason mentioned above, not to mention I havent found a sure main char to use yet either.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes the lag is terrible for me, and sometimes matches are almost flawless, its just a matter of luck based who you are playing and their connection/location

NekoBoy085

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people deny that the lag exists. These are probably the same people who have never played Melee competitively or an other game at that speed. I agree with the OP about the lag issues.
What in the hell are you talking about? People are just saying in their experience the online gaming has been pretty well on them and you know what? I have days when in feels like the players I am playing online are right next to me, and days where I get that error code.

Geez just because some others are having better experiences then you, you just say "They are in denial" what kind of narrow minded people float these boards?

Zek

Smash Ace
Christ, guys, give it a couple weeks at least before you assume that online play is hopeless. I've had games with no stuttering and basically zero input lag. No, I'm not ********, I know when the buttons are lagging and they weren't at all. Online play is perfectly capable of playing competitive matches, given a good connection. But yeah, mostly I've been getting disconnected constantly or seeing half-second delays on my input, which is obviously a result of the system being completely flooded with players. Give it some time to settle down before you pitch a fit about it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I played a few matches with people in the US, I live in the Caribbean in on an island about 2500 miles away and the lag was hardly noticeable. It got worse at night but it was tolerable.

BigJ

Smash Rookie
This lag issue is always causing me to, what I like to call, "auto dodge roll". I dodge twice, and the character automatically dodges a third time. Anybody else notice that?

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
The servers are getting better everyday. I agree at the moment though, even the smallest amount of lag can ruin competitive play. I think it'll be working better over time and will be smooth enough. It's also going to vary on who you play with of course.

Many people don't know how to properly configure their routers. So the people who don't have them configured, are going to cause lag. It's not ALL nintendo's fault.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
I always get lag, but if I stay within the west coast then it's usually still playable and I don't find it hurting my game at all. I don't ever see online being used too competitively, but it's great practice.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The lag goes on and off for me, mostly in With Anyone mode... but for the most part it's been either very short or temporary at best.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I only read the first post so my reply is to that.

If you lag you have slow internet or some problem with your setup , i have neither of those things so i never see any lag at all.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You need a blue or green connection to have nearly flawless gameplay (to be honest, if it's blue or green, I haven't noticed any lag). And I'm play a guy in Texas pretty consistently; that's far enough to have made lag in any other online fighting game.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
I'll mainly use online to play a friend of mine who lives far away, but otherwise, I'll be playing offline on my lag free CRT TV. :) Nah, i can't back that up. I may mess around online.

Top Bottom