• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, was the Palutena leak real?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Obviously, we all knew Palutena was going to be in SSB4 regardless.

My question is does Palutena's model in the the supposedly leaked screenshots from the 3DS version from months back correspond to her official reveal now?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I never believed the leak & still don't. There clearly isn't a starman on her.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I never believed the leak & still don't. There clearly isn't a starman on her.
That starman wasn't real. It was something we thought we saw but it was just a part cut of by the screen

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Look at the rings around her wrist. They're small in the actual game, but huge in the "leak."

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but I think the leak was fake.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No way. The staff was waaaay too short, and the face and even some of the bangles I think are completely different.

Also the halo isn't there all the time on the real model, whereas it was there even for idle animations in the leak.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I fully believed it was real, but now we see that the model is different.

Either way, I'm glad she's in, she was a very popular request

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
It's not uncommun to have a 3D model adjusted during developpement. I'd say it was legit because the exact model is less important than the actual render, and the leak was pretty much spot on on that. What are the odds ?!

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Impossible to tell for sure, really. If the leak is real, then it was leaked before her model was finalized. As such, any differences between the leak and the finished product could just be changes that were made to her during development.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
I think the leak was 100% real.
Yes, her model is slightly different, but that doesn't really mean it's fake or not. She could have been touched up over development.

The real reason I believe the leak is legit is because of the two 3DS screenshots on the official site.
They seem like an EXTREME nod to the leaked photos. The first is of Palutena and Mario, the second is of Palutena on nighttime Battlefield.

R0Y

Smash Master
The possible leak had a design unlike any other known model of her so it's possible that it was legit and it was slightly modified in the months between the leak and E3.

#TeamInconclusive

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

I'd say it was legit.
Notice the dark lines going from her brooch to her sides... Not in the leak version. Her belt buckle has a different design. Her bracelets are a different size. Her staff is a different color. Her side bauble thing looks shinier in the leak.

And her halo seems to only show up when she's taunting in the real version.

There are enough differences that either her model was significantly tweaked in multiple areas, or the leak was fake.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe that the leak indeed was fake. There are quite a lot of minor differences between the models.

JForseti

Smash Journeyman
Guess we'll never know. As many say, models can change all the time during development. Sakurai himself keeps on saying that things are subject to change, every time he presents something about the game. If it was really fake, I'd love to give the one who made the "fake" palutena a high five.

On a side note, I MUST say that I prefer Palutena's face/expression on the leak more than the original/current model (warmer expression).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, despite being fake, it sure did raise awareness and support for the goddess of light. :)

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It was fake. And it was proven fake quite some time ago. Yet for some reason people felt the need to cling onto it as evidence for Palutena being playable instead of using actual arguments (which there were plenty of).

I always thought it was fake and I always thought Palutena was playable.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Considering we got this leak in January (I believe), there was more than enough time for her model to be touched up. Small differences won't disprove it, but I'm not sure it can be proven either. Results inconclusive.

Last edited:

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
I think the leak is real, but the model was slightly changed over time, since the game was still in development. The hair is too similar imo for it to be a coincidence.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
-Could give a whole rant about how things could have change during development, etc, etc... but it doesn't matter now!- YAY. Glad she's in. Like how all of her moves are unique, and not spin offs like the other characters.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think it was fake, you know why? Those images had her goddess symbol behind her in both screenshots and the second screenshot had her just standing there and she still had it behind her which brings up another point about the leak, her standing animation is different in the trailer than in that second screenshot.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Yes, her model is slightly different, but that doesn't really mean it's fake or not. She could have been touched up over development.

The real reason I believe the leak is legit is because of the two 3DS screenshots on the official site.
They seem like an EXTREME nod to the leaked photos. The first is of Palutena and Mario, the second is of Palutena on nighttime Battlefield.
Wait, are you implying shout out to a rumour means it was true? Seriously? Devs do that all the time.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
They could have made some changes from the "leak" to now. I still don't know if I believe it was legit though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The only way we'll know for sure is if in a interview afterward they say that an early shot of Palutena was leaked and the perpetrator was caught and took a katana to his own gut to preserve his honor. Or was suspened, either or.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Too inconclusive to tell for sure unless Nintendo gives an official word on the matter, which I doubt will ever happen.

In any case, she's confirmed so it ultimately doesn't matter anymore.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I can clearly see there are differences when comparing them side to side now. However, huge props to whoever made the fake, it was the only leak I believed out of all of them we got. Although it is possible that they changed her model since the time of the 'leak', I also believe that it would have been a safe 'leak' regardless, since we all know Kid Icarus is Sakurai's new baby.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd say it was real, but the model changed. Major design elements are still the same. The staff is the same. The hair is. The sheild and red button, neckless, armlets, ect.

andimidna

Smash Master
image.jpg

The circled charm isn't on her model. So it's fake. They based her off uprising, why would they add a charm not from there only to remove it later?

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'm surprised no one has made an in-depth comparison between the leak and the real model.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace

This is how I feel about the situation too. It all just seems too coincidental for the leak to have been fake to me. Any differences I just think are touch ups to her model.

Not that it matters, Palutena is in the game as a playable character and that's all that really matters to me since I was really rooting for her.

andimidna

Smash Master
Her halo sometimes appears in the final model: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/palutena.html

If the leak were true, it could just be a screen of her taunting or whatever else makes it show up.

The differences make me doubt it, but the halo doesn't disprove it.
Did somebody say it was the halo?

I'd say it was real, but the model changed. Major design elements are still the same. The staff is the same. The hair is. The sheild and red button, neckless, armlets, ect.
Her hair isn't the same. The leak has her hair on the side of her face separated into 3 different pieces, her final model doesn't.
And the leak also has some hair past the three pieces curving around her main hair, which I'm pretty sure hasn't been part of any of her designs so far, and isn't in the Smash one either.
Also the charms are different.
Looks like the first one on the top left isn't on her anime design, but it's on her model, but the one I circled in comparison, neither.

Top Bottom