• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So uh, does the LAN Adapter help at all with the lag?

Mikil

Smash Rookie
I would like to know this as well.

I would hate to buy a LAN adapter and mess around with cables if my terrible lag is merely a result of Nintendo-side problems...

Doomer

Smash Cadet
I would like to know this as well.

I would hate to buy a LAN adapter and mess around with cables if my terrible lag is merely a result of Nintendo-side problems...

My thoughts exactly, i mean i played a couple hours of 4 player ffa last night with slight lag, but if thats just from nintendos servers being bogged down and not my wifi usb i would like to know. but my roomate just got the hardline adaptor once we get it up and running i will let u guys know if it is less laggy.

dyeknom

Smash Rookie
I doubt the LAN adapter will help, primarily because the maker has discontinued them. The reason they were discontinued was the readily available/cheap routers.

Xx KeNoH xX

Smash Rookie
no the LAN adapter doesn't help. setting port forwarding on your router DOES HELP.
if I was to port forward my wii, where could I obtain the static ip address for my wii and what ports would I forward?

Rakushun

Smash Cadet
I put DMZ (in other words all ports open) on my Wii, and while I think it helped, I still get lag with people who I probably shouldn't get lag with. Hm.

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
if I was to port forward my wii, where could I obtain the static ip address for my wii and what ports would I forward?
This would be the question I'd have also.

As far as the wired connection goes, I'm trying to figure out if I can go directly from a wall ethernet jack to the LAN adapter. I live on a college campus, and I don't know if that configuration is compatible with the Wii's wired internet.

Gindler

Smash Champion

As far as the wired connection goes, I'm trying to figure out if I can go directly from a wall ethernet jack to the LAN adapter. I live on a college campus, and I don't know if that configuration is compatible with the Wii's wired internet.
I'm wondering this as well. i live on a college campus and don't want to end up paying for internet just because of brawl. But if I have to me and my friends are willing to go off campus for it =P

Pi

Smash Hero
I don't have any wifi options, and I plan on getting the LAN adapter, I was hoping that this would be a win win, what with less lag and what not, but I guess it doesn't help? Is there something the equivilant to 'setting port forwarding on your router' for the LAN route?

ProudNTSC

Smash Cadet
I cannot garuntee if it will help with lag, but I DO know that it helped me have a better connection. I would always get "disconnected from the network" errors trying to find people to play, connecting to WFC, ect. I got a LAN adapter last night from BEST BUY and tried it out, and since then I have always connected to WFC, and USUALLY the errors I get after involve connection with the players, NOT my network. However I just about played all night last night with few errors.

So, will this help with lag? Well part of having lag, is having a bad/slow connection, so if it helped me have good enough speed to PLAY, than it may help someone who can play, but have major lag.

Doomer

Smash Cadet
OK, so me and my roommate had been playing 2 days with wifi USB and today we got and hooked up the LAN adapter and the difference was instantly noticeable. If the difference is this dramatic for everyone i can see no one playing online with wifi USB in the future.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, the LAN adaptor works better than the USB connector, but is the same as good wifi.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Buying an other adapter to connect you to the internet wont help it being faster. If you're on a network, try to minimum the amount of internet usage. But when you really want a connection difference you should switch internet provider. Also Brawl servers are hosted by Gamespy and IGN servers, Nintendo has no control on connection problems or whatsoever.

Oh, one more thing. Thick walls can also slow your connection or make it unstable.
Hope this is a bit useful.

Invalid

Smash Rookie
I also set my wii outside of the DMZ, I can now join games atleast but the lag is still there. The best games i've had were with people on my friends list in the midwest. (i'm in illinois)

Revak

Smash Apprentice
Buying a Lan Adapter wont help. I have one and still have 1-2 second delays as I have with my Wireless Router.

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
I am such a noob at this lan adapter thing so any help would be appreciated -_-

I just bought one and hooked it up and tested the internet connection to "wired". It takes awhile but it says internet successful. However, when I try to log on to brawl online or news and weather channel for that matter, it wont find my internet. How can I go about fixing this?

zergman

Smash Cadet

try going here http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...em=Wii&locale=en_US&action2.x=18&action2.y=29
it has a guide on how to set up a static ip adress for your wii. Read from option 2 under the Occurs when looking for a match section down. You will eventually see a link for how to manually setup your connection. Do this after you have followed all the previous steps. If you don't know how to access your router to forward ports you could try www.portforward.com They have a walkthrough for various games. Smash is not one of them, but its the same concept.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
I have the LAN adapter, because I don't have a wireless router.

I still get lag and it's still bad depending on where the people are that I'm playing.

iBrown

Smash Rookie
Do a simple bandwith test, and if you have a connection around 1000 kbits/sec you should be good no matter what u use. 1000 gives u a green signal strenght, blue is the best. it goes blue, green, and 3 more which r not worth mentioning, lol. here's a link if u want to check ur speed:
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

ZDAN

Smash Cadet
Do a simple bandwith test, and if you have a connection around 1000 kbits/sec you should be good no matter what u use. 1000 gives u a green signal strenght, blue is the best. it goes blue, green, and 3 more which r not worth mentioning, lol. here's a link if u want to check ur speed:
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
I'm getting... 250 kb/s. x_x
Still, I don't get too much lag.

Top Bottom