• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So.. Super Smash Con

Rizner

Smash Ace
As many of you have likely noticed, there is a super smash con planned for August which excludes pm. The event is planned to be streamed by vgbc and TO'd by juggleguy, but at this time I can't seem to find who is organizing, planning or funding the costs for the venue or pot bonuses.

With that in mind, what would be the appropriate action to take? Is this something we, as a community, can legitimately ask to be included in? Should we try to rally support and contact the organizers through their website? Should we have a template to send as a group, or send individual messages? Should we try to organize a side event there through the current event organizers? Or is this something we should wait to get more information about before making any moves on the subject?

I'd like to organize something of a response, if possible. Nothing demanding, nothing crazy, just something to ensure we are heard as a dedicated community of super smash bros. series, and that we would like to be accepted into the community regardless of game preference (while most of us play more than just pm, I assume many in this subforum would consider it their main game at this time) so we could be considered significant enough to coincide with the other games at events like this one.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
It's probably worth noting that this event seems really cool, and I plan on trying to go if possible, even if pm is not present. It's a great opportunity from what I can tell.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I don't see the harm in trying. The event is still like five months away, I doubt whatevers planned is final.

Angell

Smash Cadet
It's probably worth noting that this event seems really cool, and I plan on trying to go if possible, even if pm is not present. It's a great opportunity from what I can tell.
As many of you have likely noticed, there is a super smash con planned for August which excludes pm. The event is planned to be streamed by vgbc and TO'd by juggleguy, but at this time I can't seem to find who is organizing, planning or funding the costs for the venue or pot bonuses.

With that in mind, what would be the appropriate action to take? Is this something we, as a community, can legitimately ask to be included in? Should we try to rally support and contact the organizers through their website? Should we have a template to send as a group, or send individual messages? Should we try to organize a side event there through the current event organizers? Or is this something we should wait to get more information about before making any moves on the subject?

I'd like to organize something of a response, if possible. Nothing demanding, nothing crazy, just something to ensure we are heard as a dedicated community of super smash bros. series, and that we would like to be accepted into the community regardless of game preference (while most of us play more than just pm, I assume many in this subforum would consider it their main game at this time) so we could be considered significant enough to coincide with the other games at events like this one.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
Thanks.
I support this

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
junebug already said on twitter he fully intends to make a tournament while he's there if there's no official announcement. thing is, I'm okay with being the weird underground-to-the-underground. we know this game's good, twitch viewers still know this game's good, and considering chibo's still doing his thing and AZ's streamer doubled down, we still have more than enough to cover any bases.

god-of-gods dude-what-owns-these-forums-and-also-TOs-pokemon-sometimes @AlphaZealot also kinda raises a good point about that whole event, too:

his responses are also good, if y'all want to read them. if there's anyone who's seen every single time smash players got conned out, it would be him, so while I tend to not throw those accusations out I'd trust him on those questions

Rizner

Smash Ace
Yeah, seems weird.

Also, a side event would be chill but we need to know the standings going in - will it be respected? Allowed? Will players be able to enter the other events too? How can it be appropriately scheduled as a side event?

There's a petition thing someone linked on my Facebook, but it's more forceful than I intend. If there's significant interest, I'll write up something lengthy ish that can be sent on their website which we can use as a template and modify as needed.
Working kinda weird hours, so I'll check this probably tomorrow night again and figure out what the plan will be.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I hope we can at least get a statement out of them. The silent treatment is the worst part.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'll take that silence as a "yes, bring setups and do whatever you want."
Besides, it's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.
So leeeeeeeeettttttttt'ssssss gooooooooooo0000ooOOO00oO0o0oo0OO0o

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I just cannot financially commit to going to an event where PM's presence as a serious and respected event isn't guaranteed. I love the idea of a Smash Con and think there's quite a bit of value to running various panels, with the goal of increasing understanding of the diversity within the Smash community, the issues that still exist in it, and what we can do to improve them... but the exclusion of games, and people based on their game preference has been a major issue in the Smash community for nearly 7 years now and we seem to be ignoring that one for some reason.

Still, there's certainly a chance that the announcement trailer doesn't mention PM because it's hosted on VGBC. While VGBC has parted ways with our beloved PM, the organizers of the event have not. I just wish we could get an answer on this sooner rather than later. Trip planning is difficult, there's a great deal of logistics involved. Either way I wish the best of luck to the organizers, this is quite the historical undertaking.

SunJester

Smash Ace

I think Jebailey being cautious of SmashCon says a whole lot. Right now I'd hang off for news on what's actually going on behind the scenes, even for people who play the four games featured. Don't buy a ticket until you have that transparency, and make the judgement call for yourself.

I doubt PM will have any significant showing there, I mean I'm sure you could sneak in a 2GB SD card and take over a brawl set up without any backlash, but if we're not being included then I highly suggest you save that money up to go to Low Tier City 3 or another PM national.

Right now lets focus on certainty, we have Aftershock coming up in March, and Sandstorm in April that features PM. Lets create the community we want, and the community other people will want to join.

Even if we're excluded from events like these.

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
I live 20 minutes from the venue and I know many, many important members of the Melee community... And I refuse to go.

I have dealt with some of the TOs of SmashCon before as an assistant at another event and I have no interest in ever working with them again, either.

Vote with your wallet. We don't know where the money for this event is coming from, and it's reportedly very costly, so by boycotting you're really making a big impact.

It's hard to look the other way at Smash content as cool as this, the event panels and seeing all your friends, but remember that it's at the cost of our dignity. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever, other than money, for anyone to ostracize PM. That is their singular motivator, but Smash is not about money. Period.

Have no delusions about what you're doing and conceding when you attend this event.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever, other than money, for anyone to ostracize PM.
every post on these forums and elsewhere that's basically "you shouldn't play Smash 64/Brawl/Smash 4, play Melee/PM instead" proves this wrong

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If vgbc is involved pm really can't be involved in that front.

Still an official word would be nice, but 9/10 I'm sure it's legal worries are why pm isn't there quite yet.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
VGBC isn't running the event, they're just streaming. Could easily just have someone else stream PM if GIMR doesn't want to.

Top Bottom