• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Smash has been temporarily banned from our gaming club. (Temporarily resolved?)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=3085]So Melee/Brawl has been banned from my University's Gaming Club...yeah. =/[/drupal]

So Smash is probably the most popular video game at our University's Gaming Club. At our gaming club, there are people who play video games (especially Smash), RPG's, and card games like Magic The Gathering. I love the people there, and it's one of the reasons that motivates me to keep coming to college. I have alot of friends there. Every time Smash is being played, there are quite a bit of people in the room playing, others wait for the last-place player to switch out and alot of people like watching.

So yeah, a sub-group within the gaming club and a few of the higher-ups (Who are more biased towards RPG's and Magic: The Gathering) decided to ban Smash (and hide it in an unknown place) for who knows how long for these reasons:

-"You guys should play other games."
-"Smash is annoying."

This started today...and Gaming Club looked really empty, quiet, and boring.

=/

I understand where they're coming from with diversity, but we play Soul Calibur and Blazblue once or twice a week in the room on top of Smash. Not to mention NOONE ever mentions any suggestions for other games that they would like to play while we're playing Smash...especially the people who banned it. We have not had a problem with breaking/stealing controllers or games and we treat the office's stuff with respect and care. If it annoys people, the University does give us access to televisions and we can happily move to a different room. We are fortunate enough to have two rooms. One with a TV, and a meeting room for laptops, card games, RPG's, and just general chatter. That room is always pretty quiet. Smash and other video games keep the main room lively, however...and I'd say half the people in the club play it. If you want to study or whatever, go to the library or the other room.

I could say the same thing about Magic the Gathering and Final Fantasy: Dissidia, which are played every day there. I've dabbled in Magic and get a little annoyed with all the fuss about Dissidia and how to do "this one combo with Jecht" and how "I totally pwned this one ghost." There isn't a time I don't see Magic Cards on a table either. But I put up with those two games anyway. They're popular. Just like Smash.

So do you think it's right for the Gaming Club to ban a game from the club like Smash entirely? I understand the higher-ups do run the club, make the rules, and the members have to follow, but do you think banning what games should be played is fair? (Especially the most commonly played game there.) Honestly, this issue has made me a little disgruntled and has sparked my interest. Discuss.

I FORGOT: This is a "temporary" ban. For how long this will last...I don't know.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
I bet this club's gonna lose some popularity from this move. I'd potentially quit if I was in it.
First post lolol.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
ask them why if they give you a bad reason like play because it's annoying tell them that;s an option and they don't have to play (bring a game is really annoying to play if they pull that s***).

If they say you should play other games you play other games and why should you? Smash to me is relaxing sometimes and gets me thinking unlike other games plus all that hype.

BUT when you are argueing be respectfull.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Everything you guys have said have been what I've been thinking. I know a couple of people are already angry about this...and if it keeps up, the club will definitely lose popularity.

If worse comes to worst, a separate Smash club wouldn't be a bad idea on certain days/nights of the week. Maybe I should just start creating my own series of Smash tournaments at the University altogether. lol

And we're having a Brawl and Melee tournament at our huge gaming convention this weekend. Oh, the irony. >.> lol

Meta Marth

Smash Apprentice
I think it's a bit ridiculous for them to go that far. I mean they could have at least given you guys a warning. Or even better, they could have held a vote, you know leave that decision up to the whole club. Honestly, these higher-ups are hurting the whole community. The Magic people and other gamers are gonna see how Smashers were treated unfairly. Potential new comers will be turned off too.
So what if the only game Smashers play, is well, Super Smash Bros., then so be it. It's not like they're bothering others and it's not like you guys aren't allowing other people other people to play.
My suggestion, go talk to one of the more sensible higher ups, find out what the problem is, and see if Smash can be brought back

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
If worse comes to worst, a separate Smash club wouldn't be a bad idea on certain days/nights of the week. Maybe I should just start creating my own series of Smash tournaments at the University altogether.
Do it. Seriously.

If you think that you can handle the responsibility of running a club, then break away and form a Smash club/Fighting Game club.

What they're doing is selfish and just out of spite. **** them.
Thinking about it is making me angry. rofl.

EDIT: Try what MetaMarth said first.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I think it's a bit ridiculous for them to go that far. I mean they could have at least given you guys a warning. Or even better, they could have held a vote, you know leave that decision up to the whole club. Honestly, these higher-ups are hurting the whole community. The Magic people and other gamers are gonna see how Smashers were treated unfairly. Potential new comers will be turned off too.
So what if the only game Smashers play, is well, Super Smash Bros., then so be it. It's not like they're bothering others and it's not like you guys aren't allowing other people other people to play.
My suggestion, go talk to one of the more sensible higher ups, find out what the problem is, and see if Smash can be brought back
Exactly. We have a TV and a couple computers in one room and another room set aside with no TV and just tables/chairs for a reason. One has peace and quiet, the other is obviously for video games.

Gah. I wish I could attend the meeting tomorrow night and bring it up, but I have class.

But they have hidden the club's Gamecube...but they can't hide other peoples' systems and games...which is a normal and a perfectly fine thing to do for the club. People bring in their Wiis/PS3's and stuff.

I think I'm going to bring Melee, a Gamecube, and four controllers just to show how strong the community and how Smash is one of the core things that makes up the club.

If they ban me, then so be it. They'll be losing an awesome member of their community and I will have other people who will be angry at that possible decision. And I'll still be able to attend the tournaments this weekend. I did a crapload to help advertise and moderate this tournament for them.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Good luck and keep us updated.

This just has me riled because of how selfish they are. I refuse to believe that they believe anything good can come from it.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Good luck and keep us updated.

This just has me riled because of how selfish they are. I refuse to believe that they believe anything good can come from it.
I will try to get Melee up and running tomorrow on the TV. But if they play a movie or they're playing a different game, there's nothing I can really do because they have equal right to the TV as anyone else if noone is using it. The TV is usually free though.

I'll do my best to get Smash back asap. It's most likely a temporary ban, but they haven't said anything as to how long they're going to ban it. I just don't feel it's the right thing to do in any case. If a leader who only plays only Yu-gi-oh banned Magic: The Gathering because it was the only card game anyone ever played 6 days a week...would that be the right thing to do?

Meta Marth

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately some people are biased idiots and think their hobbies are more important than everyone else's.
Anyways, good luck with getting Smash back into your club ;)
I know if I had a club like that around and then it got banned, I'd raise some serious hell.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Dad move for the club.
have all your smash buddies boycott the club till they let u play smash.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wait you don't want to do anything if it's temp. Really don't other than vote for a different president afterwards. If you boycott that's what he wants lol to get rid of smash. This isn't like the 60's where they could lose something from boycotters like money.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
That is absolutely idiotic. And I agree with Vyse. If they don't want you in their club, then make your own. It's a shame that they had to be so stupidly divisive about it though.

People are idiots. Gah.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty dumb. Do any of the higher ups play smash?

It is not right to ban the most popular game in the gaming club, even if it is temporary. I'm not sure if they banned it for diversity or just plain hate of the game, but it's really not right. Also, from what you've said, I see no steady ground they can stand on for banning smash.

other people said it: make your own club.. 'cause these guys are bumholes.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
This is pretty dumb. Do any of the higher ups play smash?

It is not right to ban the most popular game in the gaming club, even if it is temporary. I'm not sure if they banned it for diversity or just plain hate of the game, but it's really not right. Also, from what you've said, I see no steady ground they can stand on for banning smash.

other people said it: make your own club.. 'cause these guys are bumholes.
I have alot of respect for these guys (even the guys I think who banned Smash), so try to talk about the issue...not negatively about the people. This is the organization that got me back into Smash last year and sparked my interest in travelling to tournies again. I probably wouldn't have met the people in Central MI because of this club. And the higher-ups who at least respect Smash are running a tournament this weekend...and have ran Smash tournies in the past for our annual gaming convention. This is just a stupid move on someone's part that will be corrected.

Some of the higher-ups play Smash. Some more than others. Others...not at all. Besides...I think I know who's responsible for this decision. He's biased toward Magic the Gathering and RPG's. I've only seen him play Metal Gear Solid 3 once in the past 2 years...and I've heard him say that he hates Smash.

But I've been talking with Smashers in the club...and yeah...they're pissed. The guy who donated Melee to the club (which is hidden right now) is planning on asking for it back if this continues.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
This doesn't even sound like a club, it sounds like a military establishment. "Higher ups"? "Ban"? Come on.

My question to you is, what real authority do these "higher ups" you keep mentioning have over you? I mean they're also students, right? Even if they're club officers, how can they tell you let alone keep you from bringing in a Smash game? Just bring it anyway. This might sound bad but, if people want to study they probably should go to the library/study quietly in their rooms; therefore even if the Magic people occupy one room Smash/other games could still have the other.

I think if I read correctly one of them actually took a student's copy of Melee/the GameCube and hid it. Uhmm, that almost sounds like a form of theft and your buddy should definitely be demanding it back. Like, now. Not only that but it sounds extremely childish for a college student.

I guess I just don't understand where this power trip is even coming from; they can't really "ban" anything.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
i just think that this should be a group vote kind of thing. a few people being able to ban smash sounds a bit like what neon ness referred to as "military establishment"

sorry about talking negatively about people
i just love the game is all

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
This doesn't even sound like a club, it sounds like a military establishment. "Higher ups"? "Ban"? Come on.

My question to you is, what real authority do these "higher ups" you keep mentioning have over you? I mean they're also students, right? Even if they're club officers, how can they tell you let alone keep you from bringing in a Smash game? Just bring it anyway. This might sound bad but, if people want to study they probably should go to the library/study quietly in their rooms; therefore even if the Magic people occupy one room Smash/other games could still have the other.

I think if I read correctly one of them actually took a student's copy of Melee/the GameCube and hid it. Uhmm, that almost sounds like a form of theft and your buddy should definitely be demanding it back. Like, now. Not only that but it sounds extremely childish for a college student.

I guess I just don't understand where this power trip is even coming from; they can't really "ban" anything.
They don't really have much power besides making the major decisions of the club, and setting up/running our annual gaming convention. They have the power to open and close the office as they see fit. There has to be a higher-up/officer in the room at all times.

No...technically it's not theft. He donated his Melee game a few years ago to the club for the good of the club, so technically they can do what they want with it...but it is highly disrespectful to him to hide HIS original game.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
No...technically it's not theft. He donated his Melee game a few years ago to the club for the good of the club, so technically they can do what they want with it...but it is highly disrespectful to him to hide HIS original game.
That's... pretty messed up. :/

It's just weird hearing people 'ban' things from their own peers. Doesn't make sense to me.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Ridiculous. If the higher ups are this immature, start a new gaming club, maybe one that's exclusively video gaming so the university doesn't say that you're just making a clone of the original club. I wouldn't even bother with trying to get the higher ups to un-ban Smash, because it's pretty clear that they're really immature anyway.

Start your own gaming club. Don't even bother with the old one anymore.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Ugh...we don't need this right before our annual gaming convention we have at the University. >.< But I suppose someone started it at the perfect time...and people obviously want reasons why. >.<

I would go to the club meeting tomorrow...but I have class. >.< So far someone has said they've done this in the past and they may be doing this because of board games like Settlers of Catan and Betrayal. All I know is that board games are a part of the club. (wtf???)

I'll let you guys know more tomorrow. I'm bringing my Cube and Melee tomorrow and getting it on the TV if I can. They've only banned us from using their Cube, not our own.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
So yeah...I went in today...and all the Smashers were gone. Smash today has been replaced by a pathetic single-player PS1 game. (Though I think a couple people were going to play BlazBlue.) It was quiet and empty again today. All that was going on besides that was a board game. Some anti-Smash guy (I have heard him say he hates Smash) at the table said "Hey, when you're done with that game, we should pop in a movie." The TV can be used for anything, but I sense that they're intentionally going WAY out of their way to keep Smash from being played. I have the cube in my backpack and 2 hours before class starts. If I get the TV and at least 1 other Smasher with me, I'll set it up. But no other Smashers are here right now. =/

And apparently, the guy who donated his Melee can't legally get it back. An officer said:

"Just for the record, (insert name here), we couldn't actually give you your game back if we wanted to. Donations are a one way street. It's quite illegal for us to give things back."

****ing hell!

But this just pisses me the **** off with people forcing their agenda on other people...and it really is pushing me to start my own Smash club. (If I can.)

So...later today my friend came in to the office and texted me to come down. (I told him about the gamecube I was bringing in.) So yeah...we played a few rounds of Blazblue...they got done with it, and I set up the cube and we started played it.

People started getting confused. (lol) The guy who hates Smash was there. He asked me:

-"Where did you get that copy of Melee?"

I told him: "It's mine, I brought it from home."

-"You're a *****." (I'm not sure if he was joking or serious lol)

But later he asked me if I was helping the tournament we're having this weekend. I told him that I was bringing in a Cube/Melee on Friday...and a TV. So both sides are kind of chill right now. Which makes no sense. =/ I think we're trying to keep the drama down until after our convention this weekend...but someone had to start it RIGHT before the convention, and it definitely isn't the Smashers' fault.

But...it seems that people were fine with me bringing in my own copy...strangely enough. If we play Smash for awhile and people want to play something else, it would be fine with us to let someone else have the TV. It's just that noone is assertive enough to suggest a different game in there, and we end up playing it alot. =/ Hopefully we proved that Smash will never die no matter what they do. When they unban it...people will just want to play it again.

Idk how they're going to respond to what we did today. But both sides need to talk at the next gaming club meeting or something as to what the anti-Smashers want.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well I'm glad the situation is moving forward somewhat.

Keep this updated, I want to know what happens :mad:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Well I'm glad the situation is moving forward somewhat.

Keep this updated, I want to know what happens :mad:
I honestly think things are going to go back to normal. I heard they gave up because they realized that people are just going to bring their Wiis/Gamecubes in after I brought mine in that Wednesday and someone else brought Brawl in on Thursday, so they returned Melee and the controllers to the cabinet. I knew this would probably end up being a silly dispute that wouldn't last long. After running two epic smash tournaments of Melee and Brawl this weekend at the convention (With 27 for Melee and 28 people for Brawl :) ), maybe their opinions of it will change. We'll see if they hide it or not tomorrow...heck, we may not even feel like getting it out tomorrow. xD

Simple solution to this:

People should ask if they can play another game after we've been playing Smash for awhile. If noone wants to play anything else, then gtfo. lol That's as fair as it gets, really.

Top Bottom