• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So now that you have Brawl, how do you feel about it?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
The game is awesome, the final smashes, the assist trophies, the new characters, the stages, everything. The smash balls, the dragoon pieces, and the CDs (3 so far) appear a lot more often than I originally thought from the updates. Assist Trophies appear about as much as I thought.
Of course, when I first unlocked Ness, I felt a little empty, reminding me that I wasn't really anticipating unlocking the secret characters.

Now, to every up side, there are always downsides. The controls are very spastic, sometimes they're too sensitive, and other times very unresponsive. Also, Link has been extremely nerfed since Melee. Luckily Pit is awesome. I'm going to play more tomorrow and actually start the SSE.

My biggest problem is it feels like it was meant for the GameCube... maybe if they started prodcuction a year or two later, they could have taken full potential of the Wii, but the characters, controls, and settings feels like the Gamecube/Early Wii.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i don't know about you all but king dedede is amazing, much better then i thought

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I wish I liked the game. Maybe eventually I will. Right now, I am just not making the transition from Melee smoothly AT ALL. I'm losing pretty much every match. All the attacks, all the characters, they just feel the same. In Melee, they had different physics, but in this game, it's like they took the same character, gave it a different appearance, different hitboxes, but otherwise they're the exact same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Brawl at all. I still can't wait to find out all the secret strategies and techniques to have fun with. But so far, I've played it for about 5 hours, and to be honest, I walked away completely unimpressed.

Fletch

Smash Master
I did go play some Melee tonight after playing Brawl last night and today... I just don't like the feel right now of Brawl, but hopefully that will change.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I wish I liked the game. Maybe eventually I will. Right now, I am just not making the transition from Melee smoothly AT ALL. I'm losing pretty much every match. All the attacks, all the characters, they just feel the same. In Melee, they had different physics, but in this game, it's like they took the same character, gave it a different appearance, different hitboxes, but otherwise they're the exact same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Brawl at all. I still can't wait to find out all the secret strategies and techniques to have fun with. But so far, I've played it for about 5 hours, and to be honest, I walked away completely unimpressed.
Well, that's essentially what they did, all the vets, they took the skeleton data from Melee and wrapped the new models around them, and changed the special moves and attacks a bit, and added final smashes. Basically, all the vets are lugified clones of their past selves. Of course I don't mind muvh, because most of the characters they couldn't improve much on.

I just wish they didn't aim for console launch, so they could get some Wii style games, but all the characters are from the Gamecube/DS. I mean, why must we have to play as Sunshine Mario, when they have Galaxy... and while Ike is still in RD if I'm not wrong, Micaiah and Sothe serve bigger roles for the Wii FE. Oh well...

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I LOVE IT

Its slower but SO much smoother enough so that i dont even notice the speed, I love what Ive played of Subspace and online is great, my first matches had a bit of split second lag that either dissapeared, or i got used to

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
There are a lot of good things about the game, but most of the things I cared about are disappointing. The roster, for one--especially the fact that I really don't want to unlock most of the characters. I hate how every single battle has become nothing more than a "grab the Dragoon pieces" frenzy; Kirby has officially taken over Brawl (yes, I will just turn it off, but I'm still disappointed about that). SSE is boring me to insanity; it had so much potential and no it's just a Kirby plot (
Waddle Dees, Halberd, Kirby's star, Dragoon, D3's medallion things...
). And I'm sorry, but D3 sucks--I thought he would be cool, but unlike Ike he seems too weak to make up for his extreme slowness and hugeness. He's a walking target, worse than Bowser was in Melee. Three Kirby reps to Metroid's one, and one of them wasn't even worth putting in (not that I don't like the character, I just find that it sucks in Brawl). Link was nerfed (alas, my main, I knew him well). Nearly all of Sonic's moves are the same thing--pretty unoriginal character for one so hyped. And the clones, the plethora of pointless clones...why are nearly half of the secret characters clones? Didn't Sakurai learn from Melee's atrocity? There had better not be any Landmasters in SSB4.

Then there're the stages--they just seem too random. I like whoever posted earlier about Gamecube representatives on a Wii game--I still don't get why we have so much Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion crap when Galaxy has been out for months and Luigi's Mansion was a flop. I still get a melancholy twinge every time I play on the mansion level; it looks so cool, but there were many other Mario levels they could have added that would have been more representative of the series and just as cool-looking. It is very apparent that this game was essentially finished (at least from the creative aspect) a long time ago. It is very sad to think that Brawl was outdated long before it even came out. I also think that two Pokemon Stadiums and two Flat Zones is pushing creative credibility as well--Game and Watch gets two stages while Fire Emblem only gets one? WTF?

Stickers were a waste of time. Even some of the other extra features I feel didn't really need to be added if it meant getting a bigger roster, better stages, and a less crappy Adventure Mode--basically, what SSB is about.

And that's my opinion. I'll still play it and force myself to enjoy it (I'll just never play as Toon Link and ROB, even if it means not getting G&W), but I will be surprised if this game lasts as long as Melee did unless they add some quality DLC--it just doesn't have the replayability factor that Melee has.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
AMAZING

got it at 9 am and played it till a couple hours ago....

+
Link is easier to use this time around (my melee main)
SSE is fun
Unlockables apleanty
Controls feel Familiar
Chracters dont take too long to get

-
Target test gets old
Wi-fi keeps crashing (dont know if its just me)
Some of the stages feel out of place

Cepheus

Smash Cadet
fun.

wish I didn't have a test and assignment so I could really enjoy it =P

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
There are a lot of good things about the game, but most of the things I cared about are disappointing. The roster, for one--especially the fact that I really don't want to unlock most of the characters. I hate how every single battle has become nothing more than a "grab the Dragoon pieces" frenzy; Kirby has officially taken over Brawl (yes, I will just turn it off, but I'm still disappointed about that). SSE is boring me to insanity; it had so much potential and no it's just a Kirby plot (
Waddle Dees, Halberd, Kirby's star, Dragoon, D3's medallion things...
). And I'm sorry, but D3 sucks--I thought he would be cool, but unlike Ike he seems too weak to make up for his extreme slowness and hugeness. He's a walking target, worse than Bowser was in Melee. Three Kirby reps to Metroid's one, and one of them wasn't even worth putting in (not that I don't like the character, I just find that it sucks in Brawl). Link was nerfed (alas, my main, I knew him well). Nearly all of Sonic's moves are the same thing--pretty unoriginal character for one so hyped. And the clones, the plethora of pointless clones...why are nearly half of the secret characters clones? Didn't Sakurai learn from Melee's atrocity? There had better not be any Landmasters in SSB4.

Then there're the stages--they just seem too random. I like whoever posted earlier about Gamecube representatives on a Wii game--I still don't get why we have so much Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion crap when Galaxy has been out for months and Luigi's Mansion was a flop. I still get a melancholy twinge every time I play on the mansion level; it looks so cool, but there were many other Mario levels they could have added that would have been more representative of the series and just as cool-looking. It is very apparent that this game was essentially finished (at least from the creative aspect) a long time ago. It is very sad to think that Brawl was outdated long before it even came out. I also think that two Pokemon Stadiums and two Flat Zones is pushing creative credibility as well--Game and Watch gets two stages while Fire Emblem only gets one? WTF?

Stickers were a waste of time. Even some of the other extra features I feel didn't really need to be added if it meant getting a bigger roster, better stages, and a less crappy Adventure Mode--basically, what SSB is about.

And that's my opinion. I'll still play it and force myself to enjoy it (I'll just never play as Toon Link and ROB, even if it means not getting G&W), but I will be surprised if this game lasts as long as Melee did unless they add some quality DLC--it just doesn't have the replayability factor that Melee has.
I completely agree with everything you said... it's like you're reading my mind :psycho:

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Well it was originally designed for a launch title for the Wii.
Uh, no, no it wasn't. When it was revealed at E3 06, the release date was "Coming Soon". They later elaborated that it was going to come in 2007. Unfortunately in came in 2008, but it was never officially said to come out on launch.

I too, was shocked at Lucas' strength. He's one of my current mains. I love his combos.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ehh
after playing the game for quite a while, i've come to the conclusion.
Brawl is terrific.
its deepter and more complete than Melee.
i've also come to the conclusion that people who think brawl 'won't be competitively viable' are either trolls, ********, or were expecting Melee Part two, which is unfair, and ridiculous.
The items and final smashes are absolute broken ****, but luckily for me, they can be turned off with a push of a button. The stages are WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the ones on Melee, i can't even begin to stress the improvement. Melee had like 5 good stages out of all those crappy ones. On brawl, the majority of the stages are actually fun, the only ones I just flat out don't like are rumble falls and new pork city.
Its frustrating reading posts in this board, but it seems like peopke just don't know what the **** their talking about. Dedede isn't strong? what the **** game are you playing?
really milkau's entire post was completely unfounded, un-thought out, and ********. but i digress.
Brawl is fun as ****, the characters are fun as ****. the new physics are better than Melee's physics, and the competitiveness of it is clear. The graphics are vibrant and wonderful, the animations are more fluid and interesting.
The only thing thus far that I can thing of that I simply hate about the game is ****ing TRIPPING.

BadncrazyJ

Smash Rookie
As much as I wanted to be, the game is fun but isn't as exciting as I hoped. A lot of the characters are repetitive of others (Wolf, Zero Suit Samus) but it feels a lot smoother. Does anyone else get that feeling its a lot slower though?

rove

Smash Apprentice
I like it so much, I actually like how fox is equal to everyone now.
I didnt think I would play as him, but once i got the game he was the first one for me to try out and hes great.
I win sooo much with him...
Mainly cuz everyones noobs right now...(thats gonna change fast...)
Oh well, il enjoy it while it lasts.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Well, brawl has delivered with flying colors.

I aggree with theONEjanitor.

There is depth, there are so many options.

every character is far more personalized, its like relearning the game each time you change characters. I think this is to emphasize mains. However on the same note, it is more of a matchup game than it was, but at the same time it isn't. Brawl is amazing in a word.

there are so many options, most have to do with the fact that no matter what you're doing, your momentum is always preserved. This opens up so many options with shield dash canceling, short hopped airdodge and its version of cancelling and short dashed up and down smashes. Its beautiful.

I mean, its relatable to melee by alot. But the change of physics requires a change of philosophy. Its very much a momentum based game now and you have to keep that in mind when making decisions.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
It's great. I'm actually very impressed with SSE since I had 0 hype for it. Kirby (My main in every Smash) got a very big buff, so that's always great. One thing that I'm complaining about is Online Play.. It's really laggy when your opponent's far away from you.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't sure the first few hours but it clicked. I like it a lot. I think it'll probably end up being better than melee. The jumping is slower but the lag around moves have bee reduced so it actually feels more responsive. The easier recovery makes fighting off the stage a huge part of the game as well, and that was my favorite part of melee. I'm stoked.

And I'm GLAD edgehogging got nerfed. There's stilla use for it, but it's not the I win button it was in the last game. No more free points for grabbing the ledge!

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I got the game at midnight and by 10am I had all of the characters.

I really like this game.

R.I.P. Super Smash Brothers Melee.

goth

Smash Rookie
I've been waiting for this game for what feels like forever. This built the anticipation to an unbearable amount. When I finally got the game on sunday. (Midnight launch was cancelled due to weather) I couldn't put it down. I played nonstop all day sunday and didn't have enough so I called off of work Monday and put another 12 hours into it. This is the best game ever made. Sure its completely different from ssbm but thats the best part about it. I played 6 years of melee so I didn't just want a sequel that delivered the same gameplay mechanics and polished graphics. And i got what i wanted. This is a completely different game. The depth of the SSE gives you a good ten hours. Events- Co-op Events- Stage Builder - Online play.... This game is gonna last.

Pros---
Deep Story Mode
Online Play
Stage Builder
Completely different game
MetaKnight

Cons---
Tripping
Item Catching / Picking up is too easy
Link got nerfed....hard

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've enjoyed everything so far... my only issue at the moment is I have a heck of a time with Anyone mode on the WFC. I'm not playing it too much right today... Considering I injured my foot and that's all I've been able to do for a few days, I've kind been worn out on it XD

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I LOOOOOVEeeZ TEH BRAWLZ LOL!

*Ahem* No, seriously, I love Brawl. Looks and feels great. Now if only I could stop sucking with sonic. The way people are playing him in the videos eludes me...I can't even beat comps reliably yet >>

Darkslash

Smash Master
I just wish they didn't aim for console launch, so they could get some Wii style games, but all the characters are from the Gamecube/DS. I mean, why must we have to play as Sunshine Mario, when they have Galaxy... and while Ike is still in RD if I'm not wrong, Micaiah and Sothe serve bigger roles for the Wii FE. Oh well...

Well the Star Fox designs were based alot around command :laugh:

and to those who Say wolf is a clone. He isn't

I play with him way better 100% more than Fox or Falco :laugh: Hes way less of a clone than i Thought.

goth

Smash Rookie
Well I wouldn't go that far....Lol ssbm still goes for 30$ on ebay so if your just going to throw em awy then ill just have ta......

Eggm

Smash Hero
Even tho I've had it for 3 weeks i'll respond. The game is a terrible disappointment, that did nothing but ruin the melee community on these boards.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I'm happy with all the characters, stages, and modes they included in the game including SSE (it's actually pretty fun) but the only think i didn't like was the speed of the game at first but after i played the game some more i adapted but all in all the game is a 10/10 in my eyes

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
After an initial transition period, I love the game as well. It's definitely different - less technical and more strategy oriented, but it's a change that I like.

Especially after playing the same game for 7 years, this feels like a great new start.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
There was a time where I used to play Smash64 every day, but when melee came out I wasn't interested. I started melee last summer, in preparation for brawl. With that, I love brawl. Everystep I have taken has been towards it~ Learning all the tricks by myself in melee was fun, but whenever I had friends over to play they never had a chance because of it. Now that there are less glitches, everyone can play on closer equal ground, and I am looking forward to it. I played melee several hours a day since start of summer, but I never loved it as much as I like brawl.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
brawl would have been perfect if it played like melee.

i also hate how they ruined melee's opening theme by remixing it

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, awesome. It's fun to play plus it's not too hard to adjust to if you have prior Smash experience. I was a bit surprised at first and confused at how sensitive the directions were, but after a few matches, I think I got the gist of what each character can do. But still, got a lot to learn.

Top Bottom