• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so is ike high tier then?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Deadly Alliance, Dark alliance, I don't freaking remember.

By the way, I may sound like I'm declaring Ike sucks, but I'm not. I've got two really good players telling me he's good/bad, and it's getting to my head.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
Arrrgh, sorry, you'd have to ask Inui for that, or call him a liar. I know that sounds ********, but that's the truth. Aside from a few games I've seen, which weren't even ****ing taped, I don't have much proof, besides the fact that I know. Pit has tons, I mean tons of ways to approach and evade the enemy,a and in teams, Ike will get ***** by MK and Pit because his one defensive option will be Eruption.

Ike will require good mind games, like Bowser, you cant just pick him up and own like Marth or Sheik.
Hmm...I'll take that, but you seem to be putting a lot of faith in one guy...even if they are good.

Counter? I'm just throwing that out there. That and aether...

I have no doubt that Ike may need mindgames, but don't class him in with bowser... he's better than that. I agree with you that you will NOT just be able to pick up and own with him like Marth or Sheik. This is because Ike is slow. It requires a different skill set to play with a slower character, and most players who are transferring over from melee are speed-whores. Also, I just think that you put too much value into speed. In my opinion, how ever little this may mean, a high level Ike will beat a high level Marth.

Also, saying someone is mid-tier is like killing them. With the tier-whoring noobs of today, mid-tier = bad.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I understand where you're coming from Falconv1.0. I saw what Inui said about Ike, but I'm not really one to take to heart what he says. No, I am not saying he isn't right, either.

However, hearing certain individuals really like him, like Azen, gives a lot of ease. Yes yes, that doesn't mean anything I know, but still. I'm just trying to remain as optimistic as I can.

PS: Sheik is a ***** against Ike.

Edit: In my opinion, out of two players that have the same amount of skill, Marth owns Ike. I'd LOVE to be corrected on that, but Marth is just insane. His transition to Brawl and some of his new properties are too good.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
I understand where you're coming from Falconv1.0. I saw what Inui said about Ike, but I'm not really one to take to heart what he says. No, I am not saying he isn't right, either.

However, hearing certain individuals really like him, like Azen, gives a lot of ease. Yes yes, that doesn't mean anything I know, but still. I'm just trying to remain as optimistic as I can.

PS: Sheik is a ***** against Ike.

Edit: In my opinion, out of two players that have the same amount of skill, Marth owns Ike. I'd LOVE to be corrected on that, but Marth is just insane. His transition to Brawl and some of his new properties are too good.
I just really can't take that to heart. I know Marth has speed and tips, but....Ike just seems like a REALLY good character from videos i've seen, strategies i've read, and opinions i've gotten.
Oh well, this argument won't really go anywhere until the game comes out in America and I can pwn you guys all online with Ike. :)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
*Set aflame

Mwahahahahahah!

Well, you can go call Inui a liar now, i'mmah gonna eat my shoe.

Ike's defense is his offense. And he can control his terrible lag, on the ground. My only problem with Ike vids lately is they all show an aggressive Ike, even though he works much better defensively.

*Joins Ike bandwagon.

Oh yay, I converted.

Denus

Smash Rookie
*Set aflame

Mwahahahahahah!

Ike's defense is his offense. And he can control his terrible lag, on the ground. My only problem with Ike vids lately is they all show an aggressive Ike, even though he works much better defensively.

*Joins Ike bandwagon.

Oh yay, I converted.
Even in my crappy low level playing with my friends I thought Ike couldn't be used aggressively with good effect. 90% of my matches were spent dodging. >.<

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Even in my crappy low level playing with my friends I thought Ike couldn't be used aggressively with good effect. 90% of my matches were spent dodging. >.<
He has some good approach options, but those are better left to be combined with mind games.

I've said it many times, Ike is not a pick up and play character, because if you get punished, you get REAAAALLLY punished.

IMO - Not by a long shot.

To the people responding harshly to this, be warned that this is simply his opinion.

But after playing with Ike for hours on end, I would actually have to agree, unfortunately. Ike requiers a solid and safe offensive approach to get into an upper tier spot, which he really desn't have.

I like Ike alot as a character, but he isn't as great as people lead him to believe. Yes, it's true that he can obliterate people at low percentages, but that's pretty much all he can do in terms of a solid approach. The large amounts of hit stun on his moves are the only things that actually make him less punishable than he already is. His defensive playing style will become way too obvious in the future, thus he will neeed some sort of safe move, which are hard for him to come by.

The safest aerial I would have to say is the Nair (Bair is good too). It covers some good range and has minimal landing lag. This is probably the saves aerial to approach with. You can dish in some quick hits with his Ax3 combo. His Quick draw can be campy at times, but it's an essential for his mobility and possible set ups. His U smash is the safest smash he has, and can space opponents.

Even with these things considered, Ike is going to have a hard time adjusting in the future. I can possibly see him in the middle, but don't aim for the top, he doesn't have those kind of priorities.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
e10, I missed one of your posts.

Ike has a worse counter than Marth, and tourney players dont use counter, unless the enemy becomes predictable. Use Ike's eruption, not counter. (Plus eruptions can be used out of shield. Well, that's what LK said.)

quest2788

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, im new to this board and play Ike fairly often, i can really say he won't be top tier, however, Ike has some preatty deceptive options. Most of his smash will kill around 70-90%

Instead of describing his moveset, which you guys know, ill give an example. If any of you ever played street fighter:third strike, there is a character named makoto.

They are roughly similar, as when the game was released makoto was seen as useless. Both are slow, have little to offer in mobility, and take extreme amount of patience to play.

In Ike's case, you have to be patient, use Ax3 combo. and tak advantage of misses and shield deflects. Also grabbing will open up alot of options. His priority is also top notch to, his fair owns on so many levels. once again , he won't be top tier, but I will endorse him for high Mid tier.

oh and as far as his counter, it's pretty reliable , as long as you not trying to counter someone directly below you or above you it will miss.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
*Set aflame

Mwahahahahahah!

*Joins Ike bandwagon.

Oh yay, I converted.
Made me **** happy to see this dude. By the way, what was it that made you "convert?"

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Made me **** happy to see this dude. By the way, what was it that made you "convert?"
Me realizing I'm never supposed to agree with Leaf unless he's bashing some random fool.

That, and Lord Knight gave me all the reasons Ike sucks, and how to easily bypass them.

His range on attacks, and his ability to attack out of shield is plain hax. Now I reaaaallly wanna see what a guy with uber mind games like Gimpyfish can pull off with him.

Either way, I was gonna main Ike. Now I'm just more confident in him.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
*Set aflame

Mwahahahahahah!

*Joins Ike bandwagon.

Oh yay, I converted.
Lol, HIGH FIVE!
I agree with you on the defense, but it's so much fun to be offensive with a supra-powerful character.

e10, I missed one of your posts.

Ike has a worse counter than Marth, and tourney players dont use counter, unless the enemy becomes predictable. Use Ike's eruption, not counter. (Plus eruptions can be used out of shield. Well, that's what LK said.)
Lol, good point. Nobody DOES use counter in tourneys.

I think we've concluded he wont suck. XP
Fine with me...
*runs off to pit vs ike thread*

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Little snippet from Mew2King about who he thinks will be the better characters that made me happy:

Also guys, Ike is good, if you think otherwise you need to play Azen online. I'm not telling his FC cuz I don't think he wants to give it out, but if you can find another way to play him online and get destoryed then please try it.

Xtinction

Smash Journeyman
well just to let you all know....yesterday...I PLAYED BRAWL!!!! IT WAS CRAZZYY! AND I PLAYED IKE!! AND HES NOTHING LIKE YOU GUYS SAY!!

he is sooooo gooood!(also one of my mains FOR SURE)

yep!

it was crazy..... i actualy played brawl....!!! :chuckle:

Synch

Smash Cadet
well just to let you all know....yesterday...I PLAYED BRAWL!!!! IT WAS CRAZZYY! AND I PLAYED IKE!! AND HES NOTHING LIKE YOU GUYS SAY!!

he is sooooo gooood!(also one of my mains FOR SURE)

yep!

it was crazy..... i actualy played brawl....!!!
That doesn't make him good.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I've played Ike a few times, and he's my favorite character, but he's incomprehensibly slow. Like, every one of his attacks (not named jab/ bair/ side-b/ utilt) is practically a volcano kick. He moves slow as hell, has very little aerial control. There are simply better characters than him. By a lot. He might not be bottom tier, but seriously guys, he's no where close to top tier.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
I JUST GOT TO PLAY BRAWL TODAY! YAY!

Ike is slow, but he's not as slow as I thought he would be. Movement wise, he goes fairly fast. The "slowness" everyone talks about is his startup for his attacks. It's going to require getting used to the timing to make his attacks hit, and after about 5 hours, I'm not even close. His aerials are ok, but when you are in the air, you don't want startup time on your attacks. That is his major flaw in his aerial game. His counter isn't as good to use as Marth's and since he can take the extra hits without flying away, stick to the super armor. It's useful.

@ scotu
Ike still looks high-tier to me

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I JUST GOT TO PLAY BRAWL TODAY! YAY!

Ike is slow, but he's not as slow as I thought he would be. Movement wise, he goes fairly fast. The "slowness" everyone talks about is his startup for his attacks. It's going to require getting used to the timing to make his attacks hit, and after about 5 hours, I'm not even close. His aerials are ok, but when you are in the air, you don't want startup time on your attacks. That is his major flaw in his aerial game. His counter isn't as good to use as Marth's and since he can take the extra hits without flying away, stick to the super armor. It's useful.

@ scotu
Ike still looks high-tier to me
When i first played this game i was like "Ike's too cool, hell, he can't be slower than Ganon in melee" but then i played him and was like "WOW wtf too slow". His movement is slow, his attack startup is attrocious. If 5 hours into the game, and you're not even getting the timing to connect w/ aerials, there's something wrong. Ike's aerails startup means he can't FF anything but his Bair. Ike's also pretty slow in the air, so you can't use a whole lot of movement baiting to land his attacks. The only thing Ike has is range and power, but with such slow startup times, it won't really make a bit of difference because anyone will see the attack comming like, 20 hours before it comes out. So, his range and power are both nerfed by slow startup times. His Aether is a decent recovery move, and can be used to edgestall, but his side b can easily be chump-blocked resulting in a loss of stock. Ike's also lacking good edgeguarding because he can't really get too far off the stage and hit someone w/ an attack except for maybe a below the edge Aether.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
What area you live in? I'm going to be in the north east division for both. If we're notin the same division I'd def still want to fight you for brawl.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
actually i think ike will be high-top tier seeing how popular he is
it will go like this, 100 000 000 players play with ike, they like him, 1/3 of those begin using him competitively, then half of those will try to find exploits that ike can use, one of them succeds, this causes a lot of ike mainers to try and find other exploits with ike, lots of them succeds,and ike metagame
evolves, turning him into high-top tier material.
less popular characters will have the same fate as bowser,pichu and mewtwo.

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet
However, speed has been a large factor in the tier placement of a character.

Though I cannot say, I believe it will continue to be a large factor.

Top Bottom