• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I was playing Brawl and Johns showed up. >_> (Absurd John Story)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=2820]So I was playing Brawl and Johns showed up. >_> (Absurd John Story)[/drupal]

Ugh, so I play Brawl at my school's gaming club, I usually bring my Wii in every Monday for a few hours and a bunch of us take turns playing free for alls and the 4th place finisher gives up their controller to someone else. So today, my fellow gaming club members were being really John-y. It was terrible.

So someone else brought in their Wii today, and had everyone except Toon Link and Wolf (my main) unlocked, so I thought "fair enough" and used my secondaries Snake and Pikachu and pretty much dominated everyone there. We play 3 stock matches and I usually come in first with 1 or 2 stocks remaining and 5-8 KOs 95% of the time. These people aren't too talented. They're way too offensive, spam smashes too much, and never shield...just roll. Intermediate players, to say the least. But they are still cool people and I'm sure they can learn Smash if they put their minds to it. And the same thing pretty much happened today.

There has always been this one guy in particular that plays that has kind of irked me each time we play. He always encourages other people to "Go for Louis! It's the only way we all have a chance of winning!" or "The Rat (Pikachu) is so annoying/broken" or when I use Pikachu's quick-attack jump cancel to get across the stage: "Way to spam just one move." I'm always the target of his Johns and his excuse for everyone else losing. I never thought anything of it and just kind of laughed it off until today.

So today, I could tell he wasn't being sarcastic and was being totally serious. So with Pikachu, I used my edgeguard of rushing off the stage, using thunder, and upB'ing to grab the ledge so that they wouldn't be able to recover so easily. After a few times of getting caught in this same trap, he gives me the finger and says something like "What a **** move, sir."

I respond calmly (and to get back at him) by going off the edge myself and explaining to everyone how to get around it. I recover low and tell everyone to wait for the thunder to disappear and don't try to get back on the stage too quickly or predictably.

So then in another match, someone was a Charizard with me as Pikachu again. We both had 1 stock each. I started to do the chaingrab, and he was like "Hey, hey, whoa, whoa!" and I looked at him behind me and asked "What's wrong?" The same guy who gave me the finger told me "Chaingrabbing is a **** move, and we can kick you out of play if we want." and later said "Louis is never fun to play with because he always wins."

By that time, it was time for me to go to class and I just told the guy who gave me the finger, "I'm just going to tell you right now that you're no fun to play against at all." and left. He responded with "I was going to say the same thing to you." In my head, I wanted to give him the bird back, but didn't. Such a poor sport. If he wants me to lose, he should play more and do something about it, rather than wishing I wasn't there. If it weren't for me, Brawl wouldn't even be popular in our gaming club.

Sometimes I hate being so good at this game...but why play at less than my best? What's the point? People just need to think more during the match...or learn the game. Or I should just move to another region of Brawl (Like Ann Arbor)...or find the good players who can take a loss and congratulated me after our matches in our recent local tournament.

So that's my John story of the day. Thoughts? Anyone have any worse Johns than the John I talked about? :p

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well, in their defense, you're playing four player free-for-alls against casual scrubs. There really is no need to start chain grabbing and whatnot, because it does suck the fun out of the game for new players (and sometimes... not-new players). It's understandable why someone would get frustrated.

So yeah, it's just casual (very casual, mind you) play, just have fun with it; **** around more. If you really want to go hard, go find some tournaments. You're not getting any better playing these guys anyway.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I hope you played with items on, because what else is the fun of playing vs people who aren't competative, especially if it's FFA.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Yeah, I see what you guys mean in their defense. I usually don't get these kind of Johns. It's just really hard to find someone to play with where I'm at. I travel to tournaments when I can, and these guys don't have that experience.

Maybe I should just not bring my Wii in anymore. :(

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah, I see what you guys mean in their defense. I usually don't get these kind of Johns. It's just really hard to find someone to play with where I'm at. I travel to tournaments when I can, and these guys don't have that experience.

Maybe I should just not bring my Wii in anymore. :(
Don't stop bringing your Wii, just don't be afraid to... you know, go Ganon, turn all items on, play on 75m.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Don't stop bringing your Wii, just don't be afraid to... you know, go Ganon, turn all items on, play on 75m.
This.

Had it not been for the casual environment of WA mode I'd have hated this game. My wife is basically invincible when she plays Dr. Mario or Sheik when we try to play Melee, and when she first showed me Melee several years ago, I played like... 10 minutes before deciding it was a horrible game (I was a competitive Tekken 3 player, mind you, and have loved fighting games ever since their creation). I don't mind losing, I actually find getting trounced in a fighting game invigorating, and it makes me want to do better. But in Melee... heh, it was down-right disheartening. I couldn't see myself getting better, just losing match after match after match, and not really understanding why, just knowing I sucked.

Brawl tho... back in march '08, the WA mode had some obvious Melee players in there, cause they were pulling stuff that even CPUs weren't, but there was enough of us new players that it balanced out, then add in it's a FFA, then add in items, yeah, I got beat plenty, but I also watched and learned from the more advanced players, until I was able to adopt their ideas and apply them myself.

If you do decide to try it w/a more liberal stage list and w/items, they may feel cheapened... "oh, what, you don't think we're good enough to play you for real?" kinda thing, but hopefully they won't see it that way (that one dude though, sounds like a douche, so I wouldn't worry too much, I mean you were 1 stock each w/a charizard, so not all your game club members are total scrubs, right?).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've been put in the exact same situation as you.

Bring Brawl+ instead. You'd be suprised by the increase in positive reactions by a simply change of.... everything...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Most people view Brawl as a party game.

Because of this, you should treat it as such with ordinary people, it's not nice to shove all your competitive stuff down their throat. You can beat them with all the goofing around anyway.

altairian

Smash Lord
Give people a fighting chance and everyone has more fun. CG'ing casuals is kinda lame honestly, it is okay to lose a game now and then when you're playing for fun ;)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Beat them in the ground until they learn better. Stop playing FFA's too.
Yeah...that seems like the most least helpful advice.

Maybe they don't want to play Smash and therefore, they don't want to better themselves, besides, if you do CG in FFA...you really need to learn how to have fun and not take every match seriously, that's what you do in FFAs.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I just wanna say, to gamingblack, I love your avatar. and it's scary. and it's funny too, cause I'm used to seeing "Itty Bitty Welcoming Committee" under Heartz's SN but under yours it... just... adds to the creepy. :p

REL38

Smash Lord
Brawl with casual players is meant for lolworthy playing.

Take into account that they see Brawl as a game to have fun.
All in all, it's a party game that's been made competitive.
Break out Ganon and Thunder Stomp every move.
Use Kirby and Swallow-cide.
Falcon Punch spam.
Turn Smash Balls and Smart Bombs on High.

Playing Brawl on a competitive level is nothing wrong, but when you're playing with people who could care less for AT's and CG's then destroying em' mercilously takes the fun out of it.

Playing Brawl this way reminds me of why I love the game so much to begin with. It's absolutely hilarious playing FFA as it's a party game.

Signia

Smash Lord
here are some anti-scrub arguements I use:
Edgeguarding: "The object of the game is knock you off the stage, I'm not just gonna let you back on!"

Using the "same move" too much: "when you want to fix something you don't just close your eyes and pick a random tool from your toolbox, you choose the best tool for what's in front of you. If you keep giving me a nail I'll always be using the hammer (or something)"

Using the "broken" character that isn't broken: "You think that's broken? I'll show you broken. *choose the broken character*"

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm gonna chill out next time/goof around/sit out of more matches. I'll save the seriousness for All Is Brawl and tournaments...when I have the money to travel to them.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
That's a bummer that the people you played against were all upset about the matches. Instead of getting upset they should be congradulating you for being good at Brawl. There are other games or things in life they are very talented at and would play those games to the best of their ability. Whenever I see good talent in anything I admire it because it's very hard to become good at anything competitive (even non-competitive) no matter what it is. I could only see them getting mad if you were a sore winner but you weren't.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Mean response: Pikachu's Broken? I'll show you broken. (Proceed to pick Meta Knight and Infinite Cape Glitch that guy).

Mean Respone 2: With or w/o saying anything, go for that guy who tells people to go after you. Don't attack anyone else. Just that guy.

Calm response: Whenever he johns, just say "No johns." and laugh at him.

Calm response 2: Pick Falcon and spam knees.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
^
problem with this is that once a scrub declares a move broken, they've doomed them self to never finding ways around it.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice

Because of this, you should treat it as such with ordinary people, it's not nice to shove all your competitive stuff down their throat. You can beat them with all the goofing around anyway.
This.

Plus, if they're playing FFAs and performing other scrub-like behaviour, it shouldn't be surprising that they don't know how to deal with competitive tactics, start johnning and get angry.

I remember going to a friends place, there were four of us there, so we decided to pull out his Gamecube and play Melee. They'd all played it before, not a lot though, and we were just doing FFAs. When I started wavedashing, L-cancelling, etc. they all pretty much creamed their pants.

This happens to me all the time with my brother.

My friends got me into competitive Brawl, and when I first started practicing for competitive play, my brother wasn't in the loop with me. So as I started getting better and better, he stayed the same. He only started saying "oh I should play you" like a week before my first tournament.

I was no miracle smasher, but I was in a higher skill level than he is. BTW I main Toon Link, so usually when he asked to play, I would just do the usual spam routine.

He couldn't just powershield, because he has no idea what a powershield is, so he would just eat my projectiles and rage quit.

We do manage to get a couple of matches in every week or so, but he HATES to play because 1) losing isn't fun, and because 2) matchmaking is the only thing that makes a game fun (he's a 360 guy). I don't let him matchmake for obvious reasons, but apparently when he does matchmake, he "enjoys" it.

OMG THIS IS SO MUCH FUNNER THAN PLAYING WITH YOU!!!!11!!!!1111one

He's trying to learn how to main Pikachu, but he doesn't want me to teach him, and he never wants to do any serious practicing, no matter how much I try to convince him.

:(

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've actually made this mistake in the past when I tried applying a competitive mindset to people who actually aren't competitive.

Granted when I play friendlies I never hold back unless on rare occasions. Then I learned what happens when I try applying it to newer or non-serious players. I piss them off to no end when I win.

I've learned to goof off more when I'm with these people. Only time I don't hold back is when a kid trash talks, then I don't hold back.

I'd suggest working on finding other competitive players or others who want to become competitive if the kids in your area aren't up for it. I had the problem for a while until I found some people myself.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
As Red Ryu and others have said, don't apply the competitive outset to a social gathering; the result is almost always antisocial. What you should do here is rather simple - help them out.

Firstly, you can't expect them to improve if they don't see the point in improving. Nobody comes to a just-for-fun gathering among friends to get the stuffing beaten out of them. If you want them to get onto your level, be more open about it. If they're there than just for fun, then don't make it anything other than just for fun.

It's always important to do your best, I agree. So look at what the challenge really is - it isn't 'Do your best to win the game', it's 'Do your best to make sure everyone enjoys the game and has a blast'. Because the more interested and exciting it is for them to play, the easier it'll be for them to understand your competitive drive with the game. Everything comes in baby steps, after all.

And if they're the type who just want to wind back, then let them. For the sake of being social and a good person, I'd recommend stepping your game down a notch.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Use someone you suck as don't wobble or anything. Also I learned this in melee after useing the freeze glitch as ice climbers don't believe people when they say all is cool. At least you don't have my brothers I play melee I tell them how to get better easily. The younger one I tell him to learn the moves and jump with only X or Y. The older one I tell him he needs to master SHing the johns are amazing

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
At the gaming room in Auburn I used to pick Meta Knight and plank in FFAs to show how dumb it is. Then I'd ask everyone if they'd rather do teams, while promising I'd pick a different character if we did.

Now it's just customary to switch to team battle when I sit down.

Teran's post is win.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
At the gaming room in Auburn I used to pick Meta Knight and plank in FFAs to show how dumb it is. Then I'd ask everyone if they'd rather do teams, while promising I'd pick a different character if we did.

Now it's just customary to switch to team battle when I sit down.

Teran's post is win.
Must be nice to have scrubs actually willing to change their ideals.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
My friends john a lot when I beat them a lot. I then started to loosen up and wait until we all had 1 life and I would the highest percent. That would give them a fighting chance to kill me, but it would make my friends too confident. So then I started saying like luigi catchphrases and it made it a little bit more fun since their casual players. But it didn't work out so good so I went to team battles so one person at a time can learn something..

Two words... HUMAN CANNON!

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
What's up my man, Louis!?

No Wolf? the ****?

Anyway, you shouldn't be using CGs and all, because they're so bad. :) Personally, I would go Captain Falcon, ESPECIALLY on free-for-alls. CF is the shiznit.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
I do bowser in FFA's. Bowsercide the one at a time to keep yourself at their stock level. Bowser (or ganon) is the ultimate FFA character in my eyes. They're just plain fun when you don't have one guy as good (or close to) as you beating you ****less all the time. They also leave your opponents with a much better chance once it's down to 1v1.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

This.

Normally I love playing competitively, but whenever I'm with friends or players with no experience whatsoever, I just pick Random, slap items on high, all levels + custom levels, and go to town.

You'll be surprised at how much fun you have.

rhan

Smash Hero
"These people aren't too talented. They're way too offensive, spam smashes too much, and never shield...just roll. Intermediate players, to say the least."
At least thier noobs. Intermediate players know how to shield and grab. <_<

"Louis is never fun to play with because he always wins."
My response: Get better noob.

"Sometimes I hate being so good at this game..."
Someone's either over confident, or very arrogant. Just because you play good against noobs doesn't means you're actually good.

I'm not trying to be a douche. But I hate arrogant people.

altairian

Smash Lord
But I hate arrogant people.
That...kinda makes you a douche :p
Anyone at the "average smashboards" level of play is pretty much amazing compared to anyone who plays the game casually. Stuff like shield grabbing and tech chasing which we've learned to do almost instinctively completely dominates people who just sort of run at you and spam attacks. Not to mention edgeguarding...

It's definitely frustrating to play against your friends who aren't interested in playing smash competitively when you've taken the game to the level that we have. I have one buddy that I play with occasionally and even if I were to try to sandbag, in a 1v1 no items setting, I would decimate him. This is why items and low level computer players were created, I can go beat up a computer for a bit so he isn't constantly just running away from me trying to get a hit in.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Sandbag all day until someone talks ****.

Then MM them and proceed to take their lunch money.

Problem solved.

Once people establish you as "good" or "the best", then there is no real need to stay true to that title. Sandbag and goof off. Just play well enough to not get 4th to stay in rotation. :V

If anyone talks ****, get members to back you up, and if they keep running at the mouth, proceed to do what I said earlier.

V:

If you want the casuals to get better, give them motivation to do so. Constantly give them tips and helpers that would benefit them in overall play and start holding tourneys with low-cash payout or a prize, but exempt yourself from winning anything (lol charity)

More people would be willing to try if they know you're not getting anything for winning and are basically exempt from prizes. Then they might use their natural desire to be no 1 and apply tips and hints you've given them to win.

Once they've been tainted with the competitive rush, slowly introduce a competitive ruleset to them more and more until they're all tourney***s and proceed to swarm SWF where we will take care of the rest.

V:

I'm a genius. I know.

:V

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Options

1. Get Brawl+ and play with them
2. Drop the competitive stuff and turn on items and have fun
3. SPAM WITH A CHARACTER!

Also, i wish my school had a game club ;_;

Top Bottom