• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I just did 22 rounds of Trophy Rush and got 4 custom specials

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
Two of which were double ups.

I asked a few days ago what the fastest method of unlock specials was and 30 second intervals of trophy rush with Palutena with Heavenly Light equipped was cited as the best method (along with All Stars Hard mode for specific characters customs).

I have been spamming trophy rush for days (this was my latest session) and this is the usual kind of luck I have. Is this just abnormally slow, or people made it sound so fast, but 10+ minutes for two specials (and I imagine this rate will slow down as there are more double ups that could occur as I unlock more?) is just insane when there are hundreds to get.

I wouldn't worry about grinding if I were you. These custom moves are coming in pretty quick on their own compared to the 3DS version. The best way in my opinion is to pick a main and just play different game modes.

If there's one certain character for whom you want specials, pick them and play a few rounds of Smash Run. Pick up the baggies with the wrench icon; ignore the powers and coins if you don't want them. They pop out of treasure chests and tougher enemies routinely. It only takes a few rounds to get all the specials for a given character. This method is slow if you're trying to get specials for all characters, but quick if you just want one character's.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I get custom specials at a decent rate from Trophy Rush, but I do it with different characters. You are more likely to get custom specials for the character you are using, but you will get them for other characters occasionally. Crazy Orders works well too once you get to later rounds. You won't get a ton, but you can pick up a few over a 10-15 min game.

And I agree that the Wii U version seems much more generous with the custom specials than the 3DS version.

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
This might be your problem. From what I've played it takes a couple Fevers for wrench blocks to start falling. Maybe try 2:30 instead?
Nah, the wrench is 100% guaranteed in the first fever and isn't thereafter, so I think it's more efficient to do them in 30 second intervals.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Classic Mode and Smash Tour do the job fine. Amiibos too (though the latter I have not tested).

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
Played some All-Star hard mode with a friend and we got all the customs for our mains in no time. It goes a lot faster if you play All-Star co-op and knock out 2 characters at a time.

Jimray3

Smash Rookie
I don't get this, I have 60% of all customs on 3ds, but they are waaaay harder to get on wii u

cheezy

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheez124
3DS FC
2664-2287-2711
crazy orders seems to be the best way, using homerun bat, quick batter, and first strike invincibility equipment.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
crazy orders seems to be the best way, using homerun bat, quick batter, and first strike invincibility equipment.
This is an option but you can only make the money back if you play gold reward rounds after level 10 at least twice and don't lose it. The biggest issue with crazy orders is if you can't beat crazy hand on high rounds where the real rewards are at, you will lose half of everything and it could be those new customs you've unlocked if you get any. You can also get screwed by the AI in a giant battle and get 1 shot by a smash attack if you're unlucky, or if you get hit and drop the bat, they will always pick it up and a lot of the time throw it at you for a OHKO. I've done both the crazy orders method and trophy rush methods and crazy orders will get far more custom parts, but trophy rush seems to have a higher custom move drop rate at the same time. I mix it up since neither seems strictly better than the other.

Once you get to the high 200's, duplicate customs become much more common than new customs. At this point all-star will start to get more efficient the more custom moves you collect since playing it with a character needing customs will have a higher chance of rewards for that character, and thus higher chance of getting the specific custom you need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom