• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I hosted my first Brawl Tourney today.

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
The turn out was great. Well to me it was great. 7 people including me. most from my school 3 guys came cus of my add in the tourney forums. It was pretty cool. We started the tourney and they told me about the banned maps. It kinda made me pissed. I figure the way to set up the tourney was to have 1v1 best 2 out of 3 and the map be random every time.

Im not a smash bros noob. I've been playing since the original N64 version came out. and I play against my friends all the time. I understand no item because it can make it a bit unfair. e.g dragoon and Final smash. but Shadow moses island is banned? Bridge of Eldin Banned? Today was the first time I played competitively for cash. I just dont understand the map banning. I'f its put in the game you should use it.

Plus I read a post about banning Olimar??!

Also Im going to start hosting alot more tourneys.
I would like to have a set of rules e.g stock and time limits and other general stuff. It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

one more thing. Who comes up with the tourney rules. Is it the community in general or is there a higher power involed e.g nintendo

kr3wman

Smash Master
Hm...

The Captain Olimar Thread is just a troll trying to get some attention, and It's the higher-ups in the community that decide stuff like tier lists and such.

Of course, some stages are banned because of common sense, but if you're playing for money, I would think you could be pissed if you lost to something that was not your opponent.

Oh and, did you like the 16th episode? I found it to be somewhat good, with all the guitar soloes. I like guitars.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I believe the Back Room comes out with certain standards for tournies eventually.

Generally, though, extreme gimmick levels like Spear Pillar tend not to be allowed, and you tend to stay with items off, and a 3-4 stock match with a time limit to keep the matches moving.

I've never ran a tourney, only played in them, so I never kept careful track of the rules, but those are the generals.

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
Hm...

The Captain Olimar Thread is just a troll trying to get some attention, and It's the higher-ups in the community that decide stuff like tier lists and such.

Of course, some stages are banned because of common sense, but if you're playing for money, I would think you could be pissed if you lost to something that was not your opponent.

Oh and, did you like the 16th episode? I found it to be somewhat good, with all the guitar soloes. I like guitars.

Hes the same guy that said theres a list of banned music.

I loved it. I huge fan of Purepwnage I have 6 shirts and the jeremy 1337speaker.

wwepatriot

Smash Cadet
Everything that speaks truth or little known facts is a troll post to any of you idiots.

and ya I see what kind of rules the higher ups make, ones that benefeit them the most is the rules they going to make.

typical SWF.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Everything that speaks truth or little known facts is a troll post to any of you idiots.

and ya I see what kind of rules the higher ups make, ones that benefeit them the most is the rules they going to make.

typical SWF.
You.... Weren't very good at Melee, were you?

wwepatriot

Smash Cadet
actually I was.

but I am one of the many good players SWF dont know because they dont want to know it, want to be PRO?

run your mouth, say you did this when you didnt do ****, post youtube videos of you fighting your friends and pwning them, then you will be revered by SWF as a pro.

Thats exactly what the people here who are considered "pro" have done.

Then come tournament time, they get beat by randoms.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
actually I was.

but I am one of the many good players SWF dont know because they dont want to know it, want to be PRO?

run your mouth, say you did this when you didnt do ****, post youtube videos of you fighting your friends and pwning them, then you will be revered by SWF as a pro.

Take your editorials to the tournies, then, and leave it out of this thread, which had nothing to do with it. =/

Sorry 'bout this OP, carry on with being constructive.

iankobe

Smash Lord
No offense, but you do sound like noob when you talked about banned stages.

Right now I don't think there are any tournament standard rules just yet since the game just came out. But I could be wrong as the community have set it up already.

pirkid

Smash Lord
actually I was.

And your point to the freelance of this thread is?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think a lot of "walk off stages" are going to be banned again much like they were in melee. In melee, fox could waveshine people to the edge for a kill, and in brawl, Dedede can Dthrow people to the edge for a kill. It's the same principle, so I imagine that is going to be why.

Walled stages being banned are a real shame.

I wish Dedede didn't have that broken chain throw. Some stages are great competitive stages, but are made unusable by their walk off edges or walls.

IcyFire!

Smash Rookie
Figuring out what stages are most likely going to be banned isn't that hard, it's just stages that have an element of randomness or walk off stages. Other than that it's just stages that give certain characters extremely unfair advantages to the point it's no longer a true contest of skill such as Hyrule and Fox in melee. In this game that seems to invlove stages with walls and characters such as Fox with his shine. So those 3 kinds of stages will most likely be the banned ones unless something else is discovered on another kind of stage.

I'm probably going to host a local tournament in a couple weeks when I get off being grounded and I'm pretty much just going to ban all those stages and any that are questionable unless some kind of list is out by then. (better safe than sorry)

Edit: Walk off stages are pretty much stages that give certain characters unfair advantages so I suppose you could pretty much define it as those 2 kinds with subcategories

Top Bottom