• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I got decimated by a Yoshi on FG

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
And since this is FG saying "GG" to your opponent is like pissing on their face, so he then proceeded to tell me how bad I sucked...I digress

I was wondering if anyone could watch the replay of me getting beat and put in some input.

Now I don't have anything to record with but I'm sure I can send replays to people on this game?

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
if you share your replay online, we can find it by searching for vids by your nintendo id, i think
i never used the feature myself

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
if you share your replay online, we can find it by searching for vids by your nintendo id, i think
i never used the feature myself
Ahh i see, i just did it. I wrote the comment "Smashboards help" lol

If it didn't save the comment my NNID is Brover1. Now to play the waiting game on this board..

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Get the URL of your video to the Video Thread, and you'll get more eyes on it too. Myself and several others try to help break down specific MU scenarios, and if you have a lot of videos it makes it easier for people to be watching the video you 'needed' the help with. (Had that happen before, where I watched a match and found out it was the wrong Ike vs Cap fight.)

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Get the URL of your video to the Video Thread, and you'll get more eyes on it too. Myself and several others try to help break down specific MU scenarios, and if you have a lot of videos it makes it easier for people to be watching the video you 'needed' the help with. (Had that happen before, where I watched a match and found out it was the wrong Ike vs Cap fight.)
Right, and where is the site to where my replay went? I'm pretty sure I picked the global option online

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
i don't think there's a url.
i was only able to find it by filtering for ike videos, but i can't help you because you're better at ike than i am.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Right, and where is the site to where my replay went? I'm pretty sure I picked the global option online
My apologies, as I missed the part where you said you didn't have the means to record your replays. The replay watching feature on the Wii U doesn't store videos, only inputs, so I'll have to use the search feature to find your replay and watch. (As posted above)

If you have a Cell Phone with a record feature, then you have all you need to get a recording on to the Video Thread. As long as it's easy to see what's going on, the video's quality isn't much of a hurdle for those who are watching. I bring this up only so you don't feel like you need an expensive video recording rig in order to post your replays via Youtube or other video sources.

I'll see what I can find tonight when I'm home on your replays and give some advice once I've found something. Do you only play on the Wii U, or do you use the 3DS version as well?

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
My apologies, as I missed the part where you said you didn't have the means to record your replays. The replay watching feature on the Wii U doesn't store videos, only inputs, so I'll have to use the search feature to find your replay and watch. (As posted above)

If you have a Cell Phone with a record feature, then you have all you need to get a recording on to the Video Thread. As long as it's easy to see what's going on, the video's quality isn't much of a hurdle for those who are watching. I bring this up only so you don't feel like you need an expensive video recording rig in order to post your replays via Youtube or other video sources.

I'll see what I can find tonight when I'm home on your replays and give some advice once I've found something. Do you only play on the Wii U, or do you use the 3DS version as well?
I play on the Wii U. I could just add you and then you the replay?

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I've been watching the help replay you've been asking for advice on, and i've got a couple of things I can recommend for you.

For Yoshi's aerials, you'll want to use your shield instead of spot-dodge as most of them have multiple hits. Hold it a little longer than you think since you don't want to get hit with one of the attacks on the tail end of the animation, but you'll be able to OoS with a grab or jab and get the jump on him.

Don't be afraid to slow down, take a moment to take in what your opponent is doing. There were a lot of randoming jumping at your opponent, hard reads when your opponent was far away (Usmashing when he was off stage and far away, or fishing for a Utilt when he was jumping away from you), and other moves that are just busy work. I'm not sure if you are nervious or hoping to bait but in either case you would set yourself up for a large amount of punishment. Work on walking sometimes, and try to keep your feet planted a little will help keep you at neutral and allow you to have all your options available to punish Yoshi.

Ike is best when he's using his spacing against his opponent and punishing whiffs, so having more options allows you to adapt faster. (Something Ike needs since Yoshi is faster than him) With Yoshi's eggs, multi hit aerials and strong smashes, you'll want to make sure you can not only dodge his attacks (which you did a good job of, with the mixing of spot-dodging.) but that you can get an attack out fast enough to capitalize on him. Try next time when he runs past you after a dodge using the c-stick and hitting him with an pivot f-tilt. You don't have to worry about learning how to spot pivot(which can be tricky) and can get out a good hitting attack with minimum delay.

Hope this helps a little. I'm happy to answer questions if I haven't elaborated properly. It is getting a little late for me, so with exhaustion comes incomprehension.:ohwell:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
I've been watching the help replay you've been asking for advice on, and i've got a couple of things I can recommend for you.

For Yoshi's aerials, you'll want to use your shield instead of spot-dodge as most of them have multiple hits. Hold it a little longer than you think since you don't want to get hit with one of the attacks on the tail end of the animation, but you'll be able to OoS with a grab or jab and get the jump on him.

Don't be afraid to slow down, take a moment to take in what your opponent is doing. There were a lot of randoming jumping at your opponent, hard reads when your opponent was far away (Usmashing when he was off stage and far away, or fishing for a Utilt when he was jumping away from you), and other moves that are just busy work. I'm not sure if you are nervious or hoping to bait but in either case you would set yourself up for a large amount of punishment. Work on walking sometimes, and try to keep your feet planted a little will help keep you at neutral and allow you to have all your options available to punish Yoshi.

Ike is best when he's using his spacing against his opponent and punishing whiffs, so having more options allows you to adapt faster. (Something Ike needs since Yoshi is faster than him) With Yoshi's eggs, multi hit aerials and strong smashes, you'll want to make sure you can not only dodge his attacks (which you did a good job of, with the mixing of spot-dodging.) but that you can get an attack out fast enough to capitalize on him. Try next time when he runs past you after a dodge using the c-stick and hitting him with an pivot f-tilt. You don't have to worry about learning how to spot pivot(which can be tricky) and can get out a good hitting attack with minimum delay.

Hope this helps a little. I'm happy to answer questions if I haven't elaborated properly. It is getting a little late for me, so with exhaustion comes incomprehension.:ohwell:
Thanks so much for that. I'll definitely keep all this in mind when playing in general. I feel like I do try to bait TOO much and end up just getting punished for it. Again, thanks for the help! :D

Top Bottom