• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So I bought Smash Wii U expecting to have a blast with my dormmates...

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
...And it has barely even happened. I mean, sometimes they won't play because they're doing homework, but usually they're either goofing around in the halls or playing games like LoL, Hearthstone, Far Cry 4, GTA V, etc. There is one guy who plays Smash a lot on my floor, but he only plays Melee and Project: M because he can only enjoy Smash with ATs, and that's really disappointing for me. During the rest of the year, there were plenty of people playing Brawl and PM, and I could get people to play Mario Kart 8 with me, but now I can't get anyone to play with me and it's a real downer.

Meanwhile, in every other dorm, people are playing Smash all the time. I would love to join them, but I really want to play with the people that I live with every day and not the people that I just pass in the halls without even noticing. I want to build up my existing relationships rather than create entirely new ones around Smash, if you catch my drift, and video games are my best tool for getting to know people.

And I would totally play other video games with my dormmates, but I can't find any common ground. I could never garner interest in all the AAA-titles that they all play, and the games I play barely catch a second glance from them.

At this point, my mood has taken a pretty big hit and I feel pretty lonely. But enough about my problems, do you guys ever have these kinds of trouble with Smash or anything else?

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
Go visit the people playing Smash in the other dorms. You're stuck with the people you live with but you don't have to spend time with them if you'd have more fun playing Smash!

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
Yeah, I had a similar problem during high school. All my friends would play nothing, but COD. I was always the odd one out because I hate COD. I was, I guess, the weird gamer kid who had an NES, N64, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Wii, PS1, 2, and 3 while everyone else had a 360. A vast library of games, yet all my other friends only ever cared about damn COD. I finally found someone who was into EVERYTHING ELSE, but COD like I did and had a group of friends with my gaming interests.

Don't talk to my COD fanboy friends I had anymore.

You're better off who going to those other dorms. Who knows? You might grow closer to them than the friends you currently have. Like I did.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
Some of the coolest people I smashed with back during my college days actually didn't even go to the same school as me, but lived off campus and went to the local community college instead. Looking back on it now, I was and am still a lot closer with these people than the people who were in the same dorm as me.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Same here. Everyone I know is either into Destiny or COD. And the only people who play Smash that I know of are casual gamers.
The thing is I play everything. COD, Destiny, Smash, MK8, etc... So I don't have a lot of problems with them being COD or Destiny obssessed. But It annoys me from time to time to think that I have nobody to enjoy Sm4sh with.

That being said, A lot of my cousins love Smash. So there's that.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Nobody around me plays Smash too except my brother but he is not that good player, not too interested in Smash. I just play online...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Know that feeling.

There are a handful of my Smash-fan friends whom I'm still trying to get over to my apartment to play.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I feel you man. A lot of my friends don't even glance at the games that I play. It doesn't help that we always have a hard time getting together anyway.

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
Look at that. I relate to all of you more already than I did with the friends I had in high school. We should all get together and Smash and wallow in our loneliness.

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
Look at that. I relate to all of you more already than I did with the friends I had in high school. We should all get together and Smash and wallow in our loneliness.
Well our loneliness in Smash anyway. Any other issues you might have, well i'm no therapist.

thinkbee

Smash Rookie
Meanwhile, in every other dorm, people are playing Smash all the time. I would love to join them, but I really want to play with the people that I live with every day and not the people that I just pass in the halls without even noticing. I want to build up my existing relationships rather than create entirely new ones around Smash, if you catch my drift, and video games are my best tool for getting to know people.
It sounds like you would get along better with the people that you "just pass in the halls without even noticing" more than those who you live with. You say that video games are your best tool for getting to know people, so why not put that tool to use and make some new friends? Make those people who you randomly pass in the hallway into friends. Do whatever it takes to make the Smash community more connected and widespread, by all means!

And if the people you live with have any sensibility about them, they will join you in your endeavor. If not, why not just play with the people who you know want to play with you and become friends? :)

Top Bottom