• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how do people generally feel about Duck Hunt now?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Back when he was first revealed through the leak everyone was excited to play as him, but now i hardly hear of people playing as him.

How do people feel about him nowadays?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I feel like people just kinda ignore him now. I've met one other person in my region who played him at a tournament one time and it wasn't even a serious match. :^I

I didn't realise people had regarded him as OP during the early days of the 3DS release. I guess it was weird dealing with those projectiles...

To this day, I still use the obscurity of the character to my advantage in tournaments.

So yeah. I guess people see him as a spammer, and they sorta just leave him alone. Which is a shame.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm just happy that Duck Hunt Dog is in Smash... and he is everything I asked for.

The dog has a duck riding on his back and the duck pecks enemies... just like Banjo-Kazooie... that's what I asked for.

The duck carries the dog when it flies away... that's what I asked for.

The dog throws clay pigeons... that's what I asked for.

The person playing the NES game Duck Hunt uses the NES Zapper to shoot at enemies from the fourth wall... that's what I asked for.

At least one move from Hogan's Alley and one move from Wild Gunman... that's what I asked for.

The dog laughs when he enters the match... that's what I asked for.

One of the taunts has the dog laughing... that's what I asked for.

The dog laughs during his Final Smash... that's what I asked for.

The dog laughs at the end of the match... that's what I asked for.

Duck Hunt Dog trolling people online... that's what I asked for. :troll:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
DHD is underrated because he was overrated at the beginning.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me, I kinda like Duck Hunt but he's overshadowed by my secondary :4tlink: who I think has pretty much the same general playstyle but more effective.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DHD is underrated because he was overrated at the beginning.
Overrated because of the leak-induced bandwagon on August/September 2014... but before that? He was underrated for years. Few people (including myself) genuinely supported him.

arf

Smash Rookie
I've been playing him ever since day 1, nearly won my first Smash4 tourney with him simply because no one knew how to handle DHD at that point. And with the lack of people playing him competitively today, I still think that advantage holds true. Mechanically, he may not be the best out of the bunch, but if you come across someone that doesn't know how to fight DHD then they're gonna have a bad time.

It's a shame to see that MVD has pretty much completely switched to Mac now though :c

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I play Duck Hunt more than all other characters combined. Just that I'm not part of the competitive scene... I just wanted Duck Hunt Dog in Smash.

Plus my 3DS always lags online when playing Smash anyway.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I will likely drop DHD to secondary if I find out I like any of the DLC characters, or if Wolf is ever announced. I get so mentally exhausted playing as this character any more, I'm just sick of putting in twice the work and getting half the results.

I guess I may just be frustrated.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I will likely drop DHD to secondary if I find out I like any of the DLC characters, or if Wolf is ever announced. I get so mentally exhausted playing as this character any more, I'm just sick of putting in twice the work and getting half the results.

I guess I may just be frustrated.
So he's frustrating to play as?

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
You have to get your opponent to 150%+ to safely kill whereas others can potentially kill you at 80-100% (rage mechanic doesnt do him any favours here). Of course its frustrating.

Due to the nature of the can hes actually quite a complicated zoning character that takes alot of skill. Using the can as an extension of duck hunt and predicting where people are going to be, setting things up and staying two steps ahead of your opponent at all times. Its fascinating to play him and refreshing to see heavy projectile zoning/defensive characters in Smash (I also love Villager).

Its a shame really, Duck Hunt only needs one or two simple changes to make him solid I feel. Doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon though. Theres been 3 patches and no real improvements made.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I love Duck Hunt, but yes, I'm beginning to get frustrated being unable to finish opponents without customs.

He needs a smash attack that opponents can't fall out of at kill percents. I've been playing around since the patch and I still get people falling out of fsmash and dsmash.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I particularly enjoy using Duck Hunt in 2v2 matches. I find him to be a great supporting character who can help a bulkier character such as DK or Ike get KO moves. In 1v1, I find it more difficult, and as @ Sean² Sean² said, I'm sick of putting in twice the work and getting half of what I put in as the reward. However, I do enjoy the reward of winning with DHD more than any of the regulars I play as.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Some Matchups are just pure fun while others are just pure infuriating.

I still find it difficult to kill before 130%

The fight usually goes as me trying to frame trap the opponent while thinking ahead on how to land the ko

I win the majority of matches but I feel I have to work harder against the rest of the cast

Also I really can't stand his recovery it's just asking to get gimped

MVD

Smash Master
I've been playing him ever since day 1, nearly won my first Smash4 tourney with him simply because no one knew how to handle DHD at that point. And with the lack of people playing him competitively today, I still think that advantage holds true. Mechanically, he may not be the best out of the bunch, but if you come across someone that doesn't know how to fight DHD then they're gonna have a bad time.

It's a shame to see that MVD has pretty much completely switched to Mac now though :c
Yall will see him at CEO dont worry

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Bad and not fun in default. Requires too much exploiting the opponents lack of understanding to accomplish anything.

About default mario-level viable in customs. Deals with standard rushdown better, and has safe kill set-ups, but still loses to chars who will just ignore your set-ups and dash grab because that's their modus operandi (luigi, falcon, sonic kind of)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel that DHD needs some more priority in his aerial moves... especially Dair... :4samus::4feroy::4mewtwo::4ness: have great Dair moves... and Uair... :4rob::4yoshi::4fox::4zelda: seem to have good Uair moves that can kill.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Uairs priority isn't the issue, it's that people aren't afraid of challenging it cause it's so weak. Similarly with dair.

I almost died because I went for dthrow > air dodge bait > dair at 70 vs Tweek. It connected yet somehow he recovered faster than I did. **** that

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Uairs priority isn't the issue, it's that people aren't afraid of challenging it cause it's so weak. Similarly with dair.

I almost died because I went for dthrow > air dodge bait > dair at 70 vs Tweek. It connected yet somehow he recovered faster than I did. **** that
Hmmm... do you feel that they need to increase the strength in some moves? Example, dealing 20% damage to the opponent instead of 11% damage?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hmmm... do you feel that they need to increase the strength in some moves? Example, dealing 20% damage to the opponent instead of 11% damage?
Duck hunt has no issue with damage output. He just needs way more knockback on a lot of moves, or better hitboxes/endlag (Particularly bair and smashes)

A kill throw would probably be enough to make him viable, but I think there's gaping holes in his overall fundamentals that needs to be addressed.

Xyless

Smash Master
I absolutely think he could use a decent kill throw, maybe make his smashes link a bit better (or make it so the less you charge, the less end lag you get), and I'd really like being able to hit the can before it hits the ground, but that probably wouldn't happen.

Blumiere

Professional Can Pilot
Underrated because initially overhyped. Not utilized to full potential as the awkward rushdown/camp hybrid that he is.

Impossible to use as a solo character because of killing issues and sub-par frame data though, and that's a shame.

He definitely needs the Ike/Link type treatment the last patch gave. Take about 5-7 frames of startup/ending lag off of most things, up throw should kill, more knockback on beak tippers for earlier air kills too. Maybe better range on those up air hitboxes?

I think they're afraid to buff him. It'd be easier than most characters to accidentally make him S tier.

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Idk, just started using him and I really like him (was really terrible at first). He does take a lot of getting use to, but I've been doing really well with him. (or maybe my opponents need more practice)

I find that his dsmash is really reliable for kills. It comes out pretty quick to me than his side smashes. He would obviously be a better char if all of his moves were a bit sped up but I doubt we will get that as well. I don't even think Sakurai takes DH seriously. I already don't see him being in the next smash anyway, unfortunately.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
WOW, nobody on these boards has faith in DHD and it's kind of sad. he is strong for being a zoner that forces reaction with the many projectiles that he has. truthfully his potential hasn't been reached yet. of course he can be buffed, my suggestions would be to give DHD rob's pre-patch Uthrow kill percentage, and give the can a tad more killing power, maybe kill around 10-15% earlier. as for buffs to make aerials more safe, I don't think that is the way to go. we don't need another skilless sheik that just spams aerials and abuses the landing lag.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Yall will see him at CEO dont worry
After just finishing watching your set against Dabuz, I just wanna say how happy I was to see your Duck Hunt again. I didn't think you would bring him out against Rosalina, but it was really cool to see him nonetheless!
--
And I still have off days with Duck Hunt, but none of the other characters give me the satisfying feeling I get playing the dog. He's just too fun!

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
After just finishing watching your set against Dabuz, I just wanna say how happy I was to see your Duck Hunt again. I didn't think you would bring him out against Rosalina, but it was really cool to see him nonetheless!
--
And I still have off days with Duck Hunt, but none of the other characters give me the satisfying feeling I get playing the dog. He's just too fun!
I gotta watch that set because I want to see how people use Duck Hunt without customs. I'm really thinking of making these guys my secondary after dark pit. I get what people are saying but like worstmuppet, I find the character satisfying to play with.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes. It's so satisfying to win matches with Duck Hunt. It's so fun to play as a dog and duck team. I just love them!

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Duck hunt essentially has a kill throw in customs, an actually technical one that matches his playstyle perfectly. So giving him a regular one would make him a lot less interesting to me, no doubt it'd make him better though.

Though I wouldn't be adverse to changing default can mechanics to combo off throws better too.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kinda downing, it makes me curious why DHD is so outside the block these days. Tried him a bit again and he seems fun. Quite hopin' we see Duck & Dog again noted by the development team.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
Its sad when you have to rely on customs to make a character better. Customs should only make a character a more diverse tactical threat. DH needs a serious finisher. His smashes are good and his fsmash has great range but other than his aerial up a everything is too much work

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I actually use Duck Hunt less competitively now. I main him as secondary but I've been using him less now, he's a really fun character and is still one of my favorite newcomers of Smash 4, but he's also a very stressful character to use, it takes lots of time and patience as well as lots of practice to get really good with Duck Hunt.

Overall Duck Hunt is a good character but not that great. He seriously needs a buff.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I actually use Duck Hunt less competitively now. I main him as secondary but I've been using him less now, he's a really fun character and is still one of my favorite newcomers of Smash 4, but he's also a very stressful character to use, it takes lots of time and patience as well as lots of practice to get really good with Duck Hunt.

Overall Duck Hunt is a good character but not that great. He seriously needs a buff.
With his lack of popularity i think we're just making due with what we have.

Top Bottom