• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS So Has Anyone Broken Their C Pad?

BeastKiller6ixx

Smash Rookie
Since the Demo released in NA or even the people who imported the game and the *** 3ds? Kind of curious considering those pictures that were taken from the japanese audience seemed to have abused their systems extensively and taken poor care of their consoles.

Also, if it broke would Nintendo fix the issue for those who have warranty?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
20 hours clocked in the demo and my 3DS' circle pad still feels perfectly, like if it was new.

As I said a couple times in similar threads, if you don't play the game like an ogre, you are not going to break the circle pad or any other buttons.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the demo for 20 hrs plus SF4 and KIU and my circle pad is still as new, but I heard the original 3ds is more suceptible to damage but I can't confirm it. Just take care of your stuff the smash attacks are so easy to imput, heck even my girlfriend who sucks at doing smash atacks in brawl likes the demo and can do smash attacks and more

BeastKiller6ixx

Smash Rookie
I have about 25+ on mines but mines also feels fine, but I've only owned my 3ds for less than a month. Im nervous about the circle pad breaking. I wouldn't say im an ogre but I would say that im probably slightly above average when it comes to force. No where near to how I would use a GC remote for comparisons sake

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I have about 25+ on mines but mines also feels fine, but I've only owned my 3ds for less than a month. Im nervous about the circle pad breaking. I wouldn't say im an ogre but I would say that im probably slightly above average when it comes to force. No where near to how I would use a GC remote for comparisons sake
Just relax man, My 3ds xl is one year old with KIU as my first game and in that game you move the circle pad like crazy, don't worry just don't put to muy force, and remember a 3ds is not a controller so keep that in mind

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Nope I really don't see how people break their c-pad I guess bad habits and being to rough.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My 3DS's Circle Pad is still operational. What bugs me the most though is how people are ending up having broken L and/or R buttons.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Nope, seems fine.
I've owned this 3DSXL for about a year and it's still fine.
Granted, the only game I own for it currently is Pokémon Y, so the circle pad didn't see that much use outside the Smash demo.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
My 3DS's Circle Pad is still operational. What bugs me the most though is how people are ending up having broken L and/or R buttons.
I hear L and R button have a good chance of breaking after u drop your 3ds on a hard floor. if the angle just happens to land on the R/L button.

I also heard cases that the L/R button can break from age. After 3 years of use or something like that the r/l buttons just seem to stop working.

So u shouldn't worry about it for the most part.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
No, because I've been pretty careful trying not to break it. That being said, I'm not playing as intensely as I usually do.

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I hear L and R button have a good chance of breaking after u drop your 3ds on a hard floor. if the angle just happens to land on the R/L button.
One of my friends have that problem, he told me that his mom was doing some cleaning when we left the 3ds charging, and she drop it when she moved the whatever it was the console on (It was a table I don't know really) and it felt and his shoulders buttons don't work, but he can get it fix but he doesnt have the money

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I have trigger grip on my 2DS plus a 2 year warranty so I'm good to go

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway

I also heard cases that the L/R button can break from age. After 3 years of use or something like that the r/l buttons just seem to stop working.

So u shouldn't worry about it for the most part.
I dropped my 3DS on concrete, hitting the R button, and put small marks in it. It still works perfectly.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I dropped my 3DS on concrete, hitting the R button, and put small marks in it. It still works perfectly.
That's y I said there's a good chance doesn't always mean it's going to happen. Be happy that u have a 3ds with a working r button.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
After more than 10 hours of intense Lv. 9 battles the pad still feels perfectly; (despite the fact I tend to insert coins in it to hatch eggs in Pokémon Y) these things are very durable, but I play the Demo with soft movements just in case.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had any problems, really all that I've done that might wear down the circle pad since I bought my 3DS back in 2011 was use coins to hatch a few eggs in Pokemon Y, and that hasn't really caused anything bad to happen so far.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
So much hours into the demo and it's like new.

I think those Japanese screenshots were just people propping a knife under it and posting it on the Internet.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
My Circle Pad still feels quite normal. I won't lie, I am finding myself with the urge to slide it hard (for Smash attacks) though due to decade-old habits.

S2

Smash Lord
This is what I'm worried about. After playing a lot of the Streetpass games which speed up the text by holding R, I've had the sinking feeling that if any button goes on my 3DS that'll be it. After clocking in some time on the Demo, it's pretty obvious that using R to shield is going to put it's durability to the test.

We'll see I guess. Maybe the shoulder buttons are more resilient than I'm giving them credit for. But I'm babying the circle pad and it seems to be holding up fine. I don't think my R button will break, but I'm hoping it won't wear down noticeably after a lot of play.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Have had mine since 2011. Has survived hours of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, AC:New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y(Primarily Y because eggs), Shovel Knight, and the Smash Demo.

....The little cover thing maybe abit loose, though, XD.

Spirst

I'm convinced you need to be mashing the control pad like a psycho in order to bust it. I've used it more than enough times in the demo and haven't had any feeling like it was going to break.

Azaris

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1848-1701-2271
The plastic circle fell off mine but I could just put it back on so no big deal.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I just remembered that the Circle Pad survived the thrashing I gave it during Kid Icarus Uprising (I did a lot of dodging).
I'm pretty sure it'll handle Smash pretty well. *Smashing Intensifies*

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I've only put about 10 hours into the demo but no problems here. Who knows after 100-200 hours though... especially with online play.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, don't worry about it. I've been playing the demo with a 3 year old 3ds and it seems like it's gonna take more than humanly possible to break the pad off. Seriously, do Japanese just have inhumanly strong joints?

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
The people you hear about breaking controllers and circle pads are the same ones you see going absolute ape **** crazy on their GC controller to do the simplest of inputs. It's often casual players who like to button mash and slam their joysticks. As stated by others, I've put some work into mine and it's fine.

PuzzlePrism

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperMudkip
3DS FC
0301-9791-4897
I've had this original 3DS since launch and have sunk hours into KI:U and Animal Crossing, and 10 hours into the Sm4sh demo so far. From all my time in Animal Crossing it has loosened up a bit, but I haven't noticed any further damage from playing Smash. I'd be careful if your 3DS is old, though.

Momaster12

Smash Cadet
I've put many hours into the Demo and my pad doesn't look like it is anywhere near breaking. If anything, I'm more worried about my R-Button.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
I've been playing the demo for a little over a week now because I was lucky enough to get a code from a friend, my 2DS is fine. I also treat it very well and I don't mash. Basically, don't mash, and you'll be fine.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
The people you hear about breaking controllers and circle pads are the same ones you see going absolute ape **** crazy on their GC controller to do the simplest of inputs. It's often casual players who like to button mash and slam their joysticks. As stated by others, I've put some work into mine and it's fine.
Ohhh yes. I remember the first time I ever played Smash, I was the casualest button masher that you ever did see.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought people broke them due to the input for smash attacks, You don't even have to tilt the circle pad all the way to do a smash attack!

I kinda wish you DID have to tilt it all the way though, I keep doing tilts instead of smashes and smashes instead of dashes...I'm a circle pad noob.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I've put over 50 hours into the Smash Demo, HUNDREDS of hours in Kid Icarus, over 100 hours in Street Fighter and over 300 hours in Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. All of those games require the Circle Pad, and mine still feels brand new.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
My R button was half-broken at the end of summer, but when I use it now to play the demo it's perfectly fine. Hmm...

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Gonna be totally honest here, I use a 2ds for gaming with 3ds software. Mainly because its so goddamn comfortable, but yeah the Circle Pad works fine still even after using it to hell.

Top Bottom