• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So can you play as just "one" of the Pokemons?

FlipManV3

Smash Cadet
Before you start saying stuff like, "It's better if you play all of them" or something like that. I just wanna know if you can play competitively by just using one of them the whole time.

And of course, switching a few times because of KOs doesn't really count.

But can you just play one of them?
Does the stamina reset after you get KO'd?

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
You can try, but you're throwing a ton of versatility out the window. You'll get punished heavily for the switches if you just do them willy nilly, and if you don't really know anything about another of them you'll be taking a crapton as them too.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
It really seems like you need to play at LEAST two. Being KOed does reset stamina, but even so, you have less than two minutes before fatigue sets in. You don't really want to count on being killed more than once every minute and a half or so 100% of the time. So you can have a favorite that you spend the most time with, but it's important to know how to play the next one in the lineup too. You're going to have to for at least a little while each match.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I have said this before but Pokemon trainer really does rely on all 3 of his pokemon. I have seen people who try to mono a pokemon and they have usually lost . There is just too much against trying to mono, switching takes 3-4 second which allows the opponent to set up. There is the stamina meter to think about. And then, if that wasn't enough, a KO auto switches for you so you have to give up 7-8 seconds to get back to your mono pokemon. Its just not worth it. Monoing a pokemon is just too slow and too ineffecient. Theoretically, it might be, but practically it just makes PT less fun.

I would say you would have to know 2 extremely well. And the last one enough to KO or at least clear the field with.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
It really seems to me you can. Damage and knock back don't change much even with 2 min, just save your ko moves like with every other character. I do agree you can miss some good opportunities to change up tactics and such, but it seems perfectly reasonable to only play as one. The only problem is switching back to that pokemon after death, you're vulnerable right when you're new pokemon appears.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Stamina starts to replensh when the Pokemon returns to their Pokeball. You can technically play as one character the whole match, but their attacks will start to suck balls if their Stamina goes below zero.

infernovia

Smash Ace
The only problem is switching back to that pokemon after death
Yes, so the only way is to have a flawless victory.

Although I am curious to know how you are going to kill after the 2 mins. I mean, its not like squirtle has that many KO moves....

Additionally, mono-ing a pokemon makes you do stupid things. You give up the opportunity to keep pressure on the opponent just to go back to your fave. They get back their position and instead you have to watch out for the opponent. Which means you give up the chance to rack up some damage or get a kill. Or, at the very least, you lose the offensive.

I just wanna know if you can play competitively by just using one of them the whole time.
There really is just one answer to me. Yes, but only if you want to lose.

FlipManV3

Smash Cadet
How does Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSS differ from Pokemon Trainer, not once I've seen a Pokemon get drained out of stamina.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as "Pokémons". It's "Pokémon", for singular and plural. Everyone who posts here should know that.

festizzio

Smash Champion
How does Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSS differ from Pokemon Trainer, not once I've seen a Pokemon get drained out of stamina.
Well, I mean, if you haven't seen it then it obviously doesn't exist. Sarcasm aside, you pretty much answered your own question. Stamina is what makes them different.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
Well you're not looking hard enough. trust me it happens. when a pokemon dies
they are swithed out by another. trust me you will be doing yourself a favor by using
all three. stamina cuts attack damage and knockback which can hurt in 1v1s.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
FlipManv3
stamina last 2 mins, and attacks and grabs cut 1 sec off this time clock. please refer to
the PT guides for detailed info.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well if you get insanely good with only one of them, it's possible. but you are really handicapped when stamina kicks in.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
well if you get insanely good with only one of them, it's possible. but you are really handicapped when stamina kicks in.
Have you guys even read the sticky?
Generally, while fatigued every attack does at least 3% less damage than usual.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142987
Have you looked at the %s? It's generally about 2% to 5% less.
Unless your KO moves suffer because of reduced knockback too bad (which I haven't seen on the videos) then you might even benefit in combo ability to make up for slightly less %.
The optimal way for me will be to master 1 and when I die, briefly use that Pokemon to get in a good position to switch once or twice and repeat until I'm back to my main.
It seems to me that it's just preference, though I could see mastering two pretty well. Might take a while to make full advantage of all three.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
That "nonsense" is a way to enforce the character concept. ._.

I honestly think that stamina should recharge at a rate of 1 for two seconds benched, to really punch using all three.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
That "nonsense" is a way to enforce the character concept. ._.

I honestly think that stamina should recharge at a rate of 1 for two seconds benched, to really punch using all three.
Using 3 is great and really opens up options, but I'm glad it's not necessary. Having options is good because I'm sure most people will gravitate towards one Pokemon out of the bunch, even if they use multiple.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Well the way I view pokemon trainer is that you are the pokemon trainer and thus must choose how to use your pokemon. Each trainer has different battle techniques and no one should force one to play one fight style. Thus I believe it doesn't matter how you play him (3 or 1). However I'm fully against stamina because it seems to discourage only using 1 in gameplay. Also it tends to make the pokemon look weak in that they can't fight a decent fight for 2 minutes before becoming weak while fighters like jigglypuff can fight till the night's away.

StephDaSquirtle

Smash Rookie
That's what I do.
I start as Squirtle....and if I get K.O.'d I just change back to Squirtle...

Even if I get tired....I STILL GO FOR IT.
I BELIEVE.

-raises fist in air-

infernovia

Smash Ace
What do you have against Ivysaur and Charizard? They aren't slow and they can get KOs easier.

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
charizard and ivysaur are both good, just not on squirtles level. ive been able to last a fair amount past the 2 minutes when using squirtle but once im past that, i just try and get a ko asap just so i can switch out. im still trying to get a feel for ivysaur cause he has a lot of potential to be a great character. my friend and i have been doing 1v1s with him as snake and me as PT. its been tough to take down snake with ivy or char b/c of his projectiles so i use squirtle for as long as i can to take him out, and luckily, our matches have been pretty even.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Sometimes, I find it better to switch even if they don't KO when I hit the 2 min mark. As long as you know when you want to switch, I have found that the transformation time is manageable.

But I suppose thats true since squirtle's pivot would allow you to combat snake and his small size stops his combos.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
charizard and ivysaur are both good, just not on squirtles level. ive been able to last a fair amount past the 2 minutes when using squirtle but once im past that, i just try and get a ko asap just so i can switch out. im still trying to get a feel for ivysaur cause he has a lot of potential to be a great character. my friend and i have been doing 1v1s with him as snake and me as PT. its been tough to take down snake with ivy or char b/c of his projectiles so i use squirtle for as long as i can to take him out, and luckily, our matches have been pretty even.
That depends alot on what kinda matches your playing. I mean Squirtle has speed on his side and his Usmash is awesome, but he really lacks in the range department. Incapable of doing anything at any real distance. Making him risky against some of the extended range brawlers like DDD, Marth and in some cases Ike.

Son1x

Smash Apprentice
That depends alot on what kinda matches your playing. I mean Squirtle has speed on his side and his Usmash is awesome, but he really lacks in the range department. Incapable of doing anything at any real distance. Making him risky against some of the extended range brawlers like DDD, Marth and in some cases Ike.
Which is usually why I stick with Ivy and the Zard. (Bad nick, I know. <.<)

LightningKimba

Smash Cadet
I know it's been said many times before, but Pokémon Trainer's main tactic is to balance all the attributes of his pokémon. For me, I start with Squirtle to scout around and test the oppenent's skill. Then, I switch to Ivysaur to barrage the oppenent. Finally, I switch to Charizard to slam him away! Then, back to Squirtle. Really, though, I don't like using Charizard. He's a bit to unwieldy for me...

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Which is usually why I stick with Ivy and the Zard. (Bad nick, I know. <.<)
Ah They do work quite well but what happens when you fight skilled people who use speedy characters that like Wolf and Sonic who blaze through Charizard and Ivysaur when they get within range

Burumage

Smash Cadet
Im not sure if its totally possible to main only one.

I was playing charizard once and died, and when I tried to switch back to him it switched from Squrtal> Ivy > Squrtal, like charizard had not recovered yet.

anyways if im mistaken, taking that much time switching is somewhat impractical.

Top Bottom