• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, are you sticking with Samus?

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I suspect that a lot of players here have loyally stuck to Samus in Smash 4 in the hope that one day she might receive some decent buffs through a patch. We now have the game's final DLC, and we have quite possibly received our last balance patch along with it. That's not 100% confirmed of course, but let's face it, it's unlikely even if we do get another balance patch that anyone besides Bayonetta and/or Corrin will be significantly adjusted.

For patch after patch, we've stuck with the character. As a community, we've waited, we've persevered with the silly design decisions, we've made videos, we've watch as other characters have been buffed time and time again, hoping the Smash 4 team will one day notice us and give us some help. But at this stage, it seems pretty unlikely that's ever going to happen. I imagine Zelda, Ganondorf and Jiggs mains are sharing in our disappointment right now too.

So I think the question now needs to be asked, are you going to stick with Samus, particularly in competitive play? As the meta develops further, unless a miracle patch comes along it just seems like she's going to slip further and further behind. I know I myself am now contemplating switching away from Samus as my main. It's not something I want to do, given the amount of hours I've sunk into learning this character, but ultimately, it may be a decision I'll need to make at least at a competitive level.

Are you sticking with Samus, or are you done with her?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Just do like me and double main Samus and ZSS :p
Yeah, I just said that right now in the Kamui boards, but I won't change mains.... though I should point out that I don't play in competitions anyway.

Bash2King

Smash Cadet
NNID
MetroidBash550
I wont ever drop Samus we may not be perfect but we're highly usable when compared to the other bottom tiers

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well i for one never stuck with this character because i hoped for a patch. I love Samus and even though we're "J Tier" I feel shes not impossible to play with. I know im not going to try and compete at Evo or any of the world stage events but i feel the fact that no one takes Samus as a threat plays into our hand. I beat a ton of Way better players tonight because they didnt think i could do anything (my tag all night was 'J Tier'). Im not the best player, but learning Samus has taught me that those other characters are boring. Too easy for them to win without any creativity. I hate playing as any top tier character because they feel so bland. To win with Samus you pull off things no other character tries to pull off. Forget Ganon being a style killer, great Samus play is waaaay more exhilarating. I never had a main in smash untill i picked up Samus in smash4 and i dont think i can go back.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I won't be dropping Samus, but I am picking up Cloud as a secondary, possibly eventually dual main. Kinda realised though that playing Samus for a year didn't teach me how to neutral well with other characters

Rawberry

Smash Rookie
I spent many many hours deciding on who to main back on Smash 64 - it came down to Kirby and Samus, but CS, downsmash were just too fun so I went with Samus and never looked back. I've toyed with picking up other characters in Melee and Brawl since but while it's fun every now and again I'd never switch mains. It was a little disheartening coming into Smash 4 knowing Samus is so far from the top tiers but I got over it quickly and will continue to main her forever more. If she requires more skill to play than another char you're fighting surely that just makes for a more satisfying win when you nail them!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Hell no. I was dabbling before. Now, I'm just barely starting to hit people with the full meta. There's another level. Not there yet, but it's clearly in my sights. I don't want to keep hyping my upcoming video, but really, it's pretty hype. I'm sitting on the keys to the kingdom, the touch of depth, conversions, frame traps, tech chases, all explained, how when where, not too complicated. 1-2-3-4 hit confirm kills.
I would love basic play adjustments, fixed d-air basic game mechanics changes like no tech to grounded spikes (that would be major), a real homing missile, but really after the long dark teatime of the soul, I'm having fun now.

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Hell no. I was dabbling before. Now, I'm just barely starting to hit people with the full meta. There's another level. Not there yet, but it's clearly in my sights. I don't want to keep hyping my upcoming video, but really, it's pretty hype. I'm sitting on the keys to the kingdom, the touch of depth, conversions, frame traps, tech chases, all explained, how when where, not too complicated. 1-2-3-4 hit confirm kills.
I would love basic play adjustments, fixed d-air basic game mechanics changes like no tech to grounded spikes (that would be major), a real homing missile, but really after the long dark teatime of the soul, I'm having fun now.
I feel the same way. I'm still finding 0-deaths, jab reset tech chases and new pratfall setups, things most other characters don't even have an ounce of. Sure, the neutral is troubling, and Samus doesn't have the best punish game, but her read game is absurd.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I'm still sticking with dual maining Mario and Samus. She is so fun to play and the fundamentals I learned by playing Mario help me a lot while playing her. Since their playstyles are very different, I never get bored of them.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a big tournament attender, so I don't ever feel a serious urge to pick up another character to do better. Samus is still the only character ive invested serious time in. Although Cloud is super fun, he's definitely picking up my secondary spot.

The Butt Rumbler

Smash Rookie
I've decided to pick up Samus competitively about a week ago since when I first started playing Smash 4 back in the summer, I started with Samus. As much as I loved playing her and having fun with her then, I wasn't very good and many of my friends told me to just play Mario for awhile to learn fundamentals and such, so I did. I still played Samus frequently in friendlies but never did competitively. Now I've reached the point where I feel I need another character to break bad habits that I tend to have due to playing Mario for so long.

I've come to accept the fate that is Samus not being all too great. In the end though, after seeing what she can do in the right hands (Afro, Jwest/Jonny Westside, Depth), I feel like playing her again, and good god I feel like I'm having so much more fun. Deep down, to me, it's becoming not so much about dwelling on her weaknesses and being mopey, but just having fun and enjoying the challenge of playing a character that is challenging. Just because the character isn't considered good in the competitive scene doesn't mean they indefinitely are not. It's all about utilizing all of your options to the best of your abilities.

Play who you like/love, and try not to be bothered by buffs/nerfs too much (Or in our case, no/very little change at all)

Last edited:

PStoken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Token31
Even though we're all, using the same software and hardware, everybody plays a diferent game in their heads.
I really just play the characters i like, which are samus and kirby, i'm sure many do this as well, then there's others who're not playing for the characters but for the moves and options, perhaps only for victory.
It might sound naive, but when i face the opponent i imagine is like a boss battle, using these low-tiers makes for a great make-believe experience in the likes of Ninja gaiden or Contra.
But yeah, i guess if you want to come on top at a national, etc,there's no reason not to change.

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
Well i for one never stuck with this character because i hoped for a patch. I love Samus and even though we're "J Tier" I feel shes not impossible to play with. I know im not going to try and compete at Evo or any of the world stage events but i feel the fact that no one takes Samus as a threat plays into our hand. I beat a ton of Way better players tonight because they didnt think i could do anything (my tag all night was 'J Tier'). Im not the best player, but learning Samus has taught me that those other characters are boring. Too easy for them to win without any creativity. I hate playing as any top tier character because they feel so bland. To win with Samus you pull off things no other character tries to pull off. Forget Ganon being a style killer, great Samus play is waaaay more exhilarating. I never had a main in smash untill i picked up Samus in smash4 and i dont think i can go back.
Why is she j tier tho?

Last edited:

Steveice

Smash Rookie
NNID
dav.aro
3DS FC
4914-3714-5073
Samus is my main that will never change, as for secondary main I will choose Bayonetta. Both are difficult to use, too bad I know I don't have the talent to play competitively (I barely win at smash ladder). :(

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Yes
- She's my favorite character
- Metroid is my favorite series
- We are limited, but her combos/strings are insanely satisfying.
- I'm a stubborn mule and will go down with my ship!

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to keep her as a main (been my main since smash 64) and try to improve my ZSS as a secondary

Last edited:

XxBlazingSpeedxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XBlazingSpeedX
I feel like any Samus main that's been with her since the beginning isn't gonna drop her just because of one patch. I personally have been playing Samus since 64. We've gone through ups and downs......mostly downs but we all love the character and playing with her. I get more enjoyment of her being ranked lower and whooping up on kids at tourneys that think Samus is trash.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I feel like any Samus main that's been with her since the beginning isn't gonna drop her just because of one patch.
This isn't just about one patch though, this is about 15 months now (since the Wii U came out, longer for 3DS) where she's been continually neglected, or overlooked, or considered fine. We've seen other characters around her get much needed buffs yet Samus has got almost nothing in all this time. We've got buffs to her nair, fair and up smash, which you can argue were more hitbox bug fixes than anything else (and despite that up smash is still unreliable as hell), upsmash KOs slightly earlier, and we got some indirect buffs with the patch that increased shield stun. But that's about it.

I don't mind playing lower tiers, in previous Smash games I've mained DK and Luigi. But Smash 4 Samus is perhaps the most frustrating because we all know she can be fixed through patches, we all know what fixes she needs, but the Smash 4 team just keeps overlooking her, whatever the reason may be.

Honestly even just improving her grab and giving her a kill throw would make her sooo much better it isn't funny, and that's ignoring her other flaws. But it doesn't seem likely we'll ever get anything of the sort now, which is depressing. And it's not just Samus either...Ganondorf, Jiggs, Zelda and Palutena mains are probably having similar feelings.

Last edited:

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
This isn't just about one patch though, this is about 15 months now (since the Wii U came out, longer for 3DS) where she's been continually neglected, or overlooked, or considered fine. We've seen other characters around her get much needed buffs yet Samus has got almost nothing in all this time. We've got buffs to her nair, fair and up smash, which you can argue were more hitbox bug fixes than anything else (and despite that up smash is still unreliable as hell), upsmash KOs slightly earlier, and we got some indirect buffs with the patch that increased shield stun. But that's about it.

I don't mind playing lower tiers, in previous Smash games I've mained DK and Luigi. But Smash 4 Samus is perhaps the most frustrating because we all know she can be fixed through patches, we all know what fixes she needs, but the Smash 4 team just keeps overlooking her, whatever the reason may be.

Honestly even just improving her grab and giving her a kill throw would make her sooo much better it isn't funny, and that's ignoring her other flaws. But it doesn't seem likely we'll ever get anything of the sort now, which is depressing. And it's not just Samus either...Ganondorf, Jiggs, Zelda and Palutena mains are probably having similar feelings.
actually I'm not sure I agree with that statement, "we all know what fixes she needs". I can think of some things, like cutting the animation frames from her shooting her missiles, her super missile being able to kill, her upsmash being better at grabbing the opponent and have her have a faster grab with a kill move, but that's about it. Her hitboxes and moves are not her problem.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey

I feel it would be pety of me to ditch a character because i was disappointed in the updates. If this game didnt have patches wed be stuck with what we got. And I still wouldve picked up Samus when i did.
If its more about the team ignoring her then just quit playing the game entirely. But if you want to switch mains thats your choice, you dont need to justify it at all.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I feel it would be pety of me to ditch a character because i was disappointed in the updates. If this game didnt have patches wed be stuck with what we got. And I still wouldve picked up Samus when i did.
That's true, and I agree, but if this game didn't have patches, we'd also still be stuck with endless Diddy hoo-hah dittos. But the fact that the game IS getting patched, and Samus has been one of a handful of characters that are continually overlooked and therefore is falling further behind everyone else is the frustrating part. Take for example her grab and throws...other characters have received buffs on their grabs and throws through various patches yet Samus has been untouched. This means those characters get better, and Samus falls further behind. Lucas received an excellent buff to his tether grab and he's actually got 3 kill options off throws (2 kill throws and a kill confirm off another). Samus has no kill throws and her grab is the slowest in the game for no justified reason.

If nobody else was getting buffed we could say yeah, we can work with this, we'll figure it out. But characters ARE getting buffed, which leaves us in an odd position, because the goal posts keep moving.

If its more about the team ignoring her then just quit playing the game entirely. But if you want to switch mains thats your choice, you dont need to justify it at all.
"Quit the game entirely" is a bit extreme dude, I don't hate on the lack of changes THAT much, and I've been playing Smash since the N64 and I'm not about to stop. I guess I'm just venting some frustration. We KNOW Samus' grab and throws are bad for example, we KNOW she'll benefit hugely from a buff to them, we see characters like Lucas, DK, Bowser, Robin etc be given buffs to their grabs and/or throws, all we'd like is the same treatment. But we get nothing, over and over again, and it causes frustration. And now it seems they are happy with where they have left characters like Samus, Ganondorf, Jiggs, Palutena, Zelda and Charizard, which doesn't seem right.

And I don't want to switch mains in Smash 4 because I've invested a lot of time into learning Samus. It's just something that's crossed my mind is all. I have no idea who I would switch to even if I did. I probably won't end up switching because I'm stubborn, and there's still that awesome feeling when you win an unfavourable matchup. But it's worth having a discussion about it regardless.

Last edited:

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
I take back what I've said below. I'm done with this character and sm4sh in general. It's torture at this point. Peace out.

I haven't reaf the most recent comments. But I feel like chiming in my 2 cents. I main Samus because out all of the roster in sm4sh, she's my favorite character by far. Not just from a gameplay point of view (regarding sm4sh and her playstyle in it). But rom the franchise itself. My first metroid game was prime 1 on the game cube, and from there I was struck with awe. Ever since then I was ubsessed wth anything metroid.

Honestly it's heartbreaking to think a character with so much potential is left in the dust. But despite her flaws i still enjoy playing her character in sm4sh due to the unique experience she offers out o all the roster. I truly wish she was more viably competitive. But, depsite wanting to constantly un-main her, i can't stop using her because of the franchise that she belongs to, and the way she plays.

I duuno where im going with this at this point. So I'll just say this; despite her inherent flaws, I'll continue to use the character. DESPITE how much i despise the neglect she gets in this franchise, and how many times I'll say I'll drop the character until she gets proper buffs. I'll continue to use her and mainly her because she belongs my favorite franchise and is the most fun character I've used in sm4sh so far. /end rant

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Samus is easily one of the least boring characters in the game. I've been looking for a secondary for a while, but after one to two weeks of using other characters, I just get bored by them. Samus is still interesting after more than a year. She has enough cool moves/combos/techs, different play styles, and a level of adaptability (i.e. one attribute like strong zoning/edge guarding doesn't shut her down like Ganon/Mac respectively) that she will always stay interesting.

A lot of characters people say are interesting and in depth just really aren't. The only characters who are as interesting as Samus are :4duckhunt::4pacman::4peach: and maybe :4bowserjr::4bayonetta::4dedede::4marth::4olimar::4mewtwo::4shulk::4villager::rosalina: as well. And the others are just pretty boring. (obviously really subjective)

Last edited:

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
What made you do a 180?
A lot of things. There's a lot a wanna blame ( this includes myself ). But it just comes down to being tired of trying 2x as hard as my opponent to win. It just feels unfair, which leads to basically torture for me.

Maybe I'll come back later. For now I'll focus on other fighting games like MKX in the meantime. It's been good guys. Keep fighting the good fight.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I won't be dropping Samus, but I am picking up Cloud as a secondary, possibly eventually dual main. Kinda realised though that playing Samus for a year didn't teach me how to neutral well with other characters
I'm literally in the exact same situation. I've picked up cloud and now I'm realizing that matchups that I never struggled with I'm now having a difficult time with, and not because they're a bad match-up for Cloud, but just because I was usually spacing out in neutral and now I have to think differently about how to get in.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I'm literally in the exact same situation. I've picked up cloud and now I'm realizing that matchups that I never struggled with I'm now having a difficult time with, and not because they're a bad match-up for Cloud, but just because I was usually spacing out in neutral and now I have to think differently about how to get in.
All I know is Zair is your friend with Samus.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
You're all in luck boys! I thought I was gonna main Bayonetta, but that is nowhere near fruition. Bayonetta is gonna take a lot of time before I'm any good with her due to some of her flaws. She really isn't pick up and playable like Cloud for example. I'll be surprised if I switch at this point. Big old change in my thinking.

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
That's true, and I agree, but if this game didn't have patches, we'd also still be stuck with endless Diddy hoo-hah dittos. But the fact that the game IS getting patched, and Samus has been one of a handful of characters that are continually overlooked and therefore is falling further behind everyone else is the frustrating part. Take for example her grab and throws...other characters have received buffs on their grabs and throws through various patches yet Samus has been untouched. This means those characters get better, and Samus falls further behind. Lucas received an excellent buff to his tether grab and he's actually got 3 kill options off throws (2 kill throws and a kill confirm off another). Samus has no kill throws and her grab is the slowest in the game for no justified reason.

If nobody else was getting buffed we could say yeah, we can work with this, we'll figure it out. But characters ARE getting buffed, which leaves us in an odd position, because the goal posts keep moving.

"Quit the game entirely" is a bit extreme dude, I don't hate on the lack of changes THAT much, and I've been playing Smash since the N64 and I'm not about to stop. I guess I'm just venting some frustration. We KNOW Samus' grab and throws are bad for example, we KNOW she'll benefit hugely from a buff to them, we see characters like Lucas, DK, Bowser, Robin etc be given buffs to their grabs and/or throws, all we'd like is the same treatment. But we get nothing, over and over again, and it causes frustration. And now it seems they are happy with where they have left characters like Samus, Ganondorf, Jiggs, Palutena, Zelda and Charizard, which doesn't seem right.

And I don't want to switch mains in Smash 4 because I've invested a lot of time into learning Samus. It's just something that's crossed my mind is all. I have no idea who I would switch to even if I did. I probably won't end up switching because I'm stubborn, and there's still that awesome feeling when you win an unfavourable matchup. But it's worth having a discussion about it regardless.
Just an FYI: Charizard got a buff to his down throw: It combos into f-air and, at certain percents, up air.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
If its more about the team ignoring her then just quit playing the game entirely.
And that's my thinking entirely.
I'm with Gypsy_Panic Gypsy_Panic , the lack effort to buff low tiers is frustrating, especially with the latest DLC characters who have disgusting moves with unshared depth behind them (Ryu and Bayo having more than one tilt,jab, etc. and Corrin's sideB having four different options to choose from out of hitting the ground). Seriously, why do they get greater depth to their moves than any other character? Ryu wouldn't be half as good as he is, if it weren't for his larger tool-set, which he has because his playstyle specifically breaks Smash conventions. (Imagine how much better Bowser would be if he had as many input-options as Ryu.) Also, I would have been fine with every other low tier being buffed, except Samus. I would be fine with the game if Samus was the worst, because I know she's not THAT bad. But other characters, who have to worse than us are ignored, and I just cannot accept. I've had some fun, but the developer's decisions just ruin any desire to take this game seriously.

I refuse to continue this mission, and I have no reason to come back for the next one (or any previous ones).

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
See, this is the kind of thing that frustrates me:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-final-content-1-1-4-patch-discussion.430033/page-22#post-20858010

They finally figured out what the changes to Yoshi, Diddy and a handful of other characters were in 1.1.4. The change was they removed an invincibility frame from their get up from a trip. Previously these characters had one extra i-frame and now they are the same as everyone else. Kirby and Fox had i-frames added to bring them into line with everyone else.

Why is this frustrating? Because the Smash 4 team took the time to fix ONE FRAME of inconsistency with a handful of characters which will have pretty much no impact on anything, yet they continue to ignore the obvious and inherent flaws with characters like Samus.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-final-content-1-1-4-patch-discussion.430033/page-22#post-20858010

They finally figured out what the changes to Yoshi, Diddy and a handful of other characters were in 1.1.4. The change was they removed an invincibility frame from their get up from a trip. Previously these characters had one extra i-frame and now they are the same as everyone else. Kirby and Fox had i-frames added to bring them into line with everyone else.

Why is this frustrating? Because the Smash 4 team took the time to fix ONE FRAME of inconsistency with a handful of characters which will have pretty much no impact on anything, yet they continue to ignore the obvious and inherent flaws with characters like Samus.
Every frame counts, my friend, even if it's just one. Is there a certain move that Samus should be granted invincibility on, even if it is just one additional frame?

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman

Another reason that makes me think the developers are doing too little.
*Flies away faster*

Top Bottom