• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SO about this whole 2 GB thing

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
Recently i have been doing my preparations to learn and beging moding in super smash, using the stuff in Project M as a basic but i got some questions. Mainly im planning on having a separate Project M on a new SD card so i can keep the original clean while having another one to play around with but thats the thing, the SD card.

While Downloading Project M for the first time one of the rules was to find an SD card with 2 GB or less however i cant find any store that sells anything below 5 gb. My question is what if i use a 5 gb SD card?

Now of course i will leave said SD card solely for Project M, there wont be anything else in the card exept for Project me folders, like you would normaly download Project M but in a 5 gb SD instead of a 2 gb SD, Is that going to be a problem? is so why is that a problem?

Now if you excuse me i still got about 10 more tutorial videos to go through, THANKS IN ADVANCE!

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I believe you definitely need 2 gb, but there's a code that allows you to use SDHC cards. IDK if it's already included in PM or not and I don't know if it's compatible with PM. I'll have to ask some people to make sure. I'll get back to you as soon as I know. Hopefully, someone answers this beforehand.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
If your wii is hacked and you use the "homebrew" method of loading the game, the sd card can be any size.
The 2gb limit is for "hackless" users nowadays.

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
If your wii is hacked and you use the "homebrew" method of loading the game, the sd card can be any size.
The 2gb limit is for "hackless" users nowadays.
Hope it works with my homebrew, but why it has to be limited to 2 gb?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Hope it works with my homebrew, but why it has to be limited to 2 gb?
Brawl was developed before the Wii had support for sd cards above 2gbs, so it still carries this limitation.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
OH and running Project M on homebrew avoids this limitation i guess?
Yup. Homebrew launchers (along with codes) were developed that can bypass the limit.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Yup. Homebrew launchers (along with codes) were developed that can bypass the limit.
Yup! Also, I found a stack of 2gb SD cards for $1 each at my local thrift store and bought all of them for friends who want to run the hackless version. We're a strange bunch, us PM folks.

Krauserlols

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help, btw i just noticed, so far your the only player i have met who only has one character through all of smash, looks weird but i like it

Jitters

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitters
(You mean to tell me I've been spending these last few days pulling my hair out, trying to get ton of content under 2GB, for no reason?)
I'm curious to exactly 'what' can be bypassed with homebrew. If I had a build around 1.90 or higher, it's still possible to run PM smoothly, or is this more for vBrawl?
I'm also assuming that this does not raise the filesize limits on stuff like sc_selcharacter, sc_selmap, common5 .pac's and so on?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
If I had a build around 1.90 or higher, it's still possible to run PM smoothly, or is this more for vBrawl?
Elaborate please?
If your build is 1.90, it'll still launch from hackless, and it'll certainly launch from homebrew.

I'm also assuming that this does not raise the filesize limits on stuff like sc_selcharacter, sc_selmap, common5 .pac's and so on?
Nope, using homebrew won't increase the size limit on those files. It might be a wii hardware limitation issue, I think; dolphin doesn't have such an existing constraint from what I recall.

Jitters

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitters
Elaborate please?
If your build is 1.90, it'll still launch from hackless, and it'll certainly launch from homebrew.
Sorry, 1.90 as in 1.90GB in size.
I was also wondering if the PM team did anything with their whole setup tha twould render any incompatibilities with running it of a 4GB SD.

Last edited:

Sirkura

Smash Cadet
Letter bomb is a better exploit then smash stacks, but it only works with wii 4.3 menu. its pretty easy, basically forms a malformed letter on your SD card. follow the instructions here:

http://please.hackmii.com/

the 2 gig limit is SPECIFICALLY because brawl does not read SDHC cards by default. so if you want to use stack smash for hackless, you need a 2 gig or lower card. but i believe you can switch SD cards after running hackless. PM does have the SDHC code, but it only works if you use system menu 4.1 or higher i believe (reroutes the IOS used to 58 for SDHC). there is also an app called the homebrew browser that can download an installer for ios 58 (SDHC support that comes with wii menu 4.1) for systems under that. However you would need the homebrew channel to use that, therefor not hackless.

There really isn't any reason not to install the hombrew channel honestly. you don't have a warranty anymore to void and it makes things so much easier. I personally only use hackless to make it "portable" for friends that haven't hacked their wii when i bring the game over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom