• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smooth lander- the one custom equipment that should be legal

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I have like 10+ of every equipment type but none of them.
it's random, happens.
So far, I have never received home-run bat equipment, but I have loads of smooth lander and at least 4 dodgy dodger parts (which do next to nothing unless stacked, btw)

Incomming 336

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know that thread but HG just f*cks up too many recovery moves (like luigi's down b). I also tried to balance out the lowered jump height in HG by using speed and/or floaty equipment (it would still feel heavy but not as much as before). I found out that it reaches the standard height when you use ~45 speed or ~34 + floaty jumps equipment but that didn't fix the recovery problem.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Yeah I know that thread but HG just f*cks up too many recovery moves (like luigi's down b). I also tried to balance out the lowered jump height in HG by using speed and/or floaty equipment (it would still feel heavy but not as much as before). I found out that it reaches the standard height when you use ~45 speed or ~34 + floaty jumps equipment but that didn't fix the recovery problem.
Well, I have posted a video and accompanied pic of my toon link amiibo with heavy jump, and how to neutralise the loss in jump height.
It's like, 5 posts above.

Muro

Smash Lord
you can't have edgeguarding and gimps without nerfing recoveries though, and those 2 things are a big reason why I like smash.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
you can't have edgeguarding and gimps without nerfing recoveries though, and those 2 things are a big reason why I like smash.
At the cost of a characters vital recovery? Eh, no thank you. It works, but only for so many characters. There's currently no way to fix it, and even if you did, +30 speed makes Sonic insanely difficult use precisely.
And this thread is actually about smooth lander, and by extension equipment that should be legal. Keep it more in line, if you will.

Muro

Smash Lord
At the cost of a characters vital recovery? Eh, no thank you. It works, but only for so many characters. There's currently no way to fix it, and even if you did, +30 speed makes Sonic insanely difficult use precisely.
And this thread is actually about smooth lander, and by extension equipment that should be legal. Keep it more in line, if you will.
keep at your autocombos then ;)

Muro

Smash Lord
Enjoy convincing little mac/olimar/sonic/megaman/yoshi/palutena/metaknight players of your worthy cause.
From all of those, only sonic has what I'd call a crippled recovery, and even then it's only vertical. All the others either have good recovery, or were bad to begin with. It's whatever dude, like I said, keep at your autocombos.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
From all of those, only sonic has what I'd call a crippled recovery, and even then it's only vertical. All the others either have good recovery, or were bad to begin with. It's whatever dude, like I said, keep at your autocombos.
"bad to begin with"
Yes.
THAT is the reason.

Seriously, you have a whole thread created for SLHG.
I admit, it's very fun! The combos are good and all, but eliminating a characters entire recovery because "edge-guarding" doesn't bode well with me.
I'm looking at what certain equipment can do for certain characters, and smooth landing is what's currently being highlighted. Do you have anything to add on the matter that you haven't posted on every page of this discussion?

Muro

Smash Lord
"bad to begin with"
Yes.
THAT is the reason.

Seriously, you have a whole thread created for SLHG.
I admit, it's very fun! The combos are good and all, but eliminating a characters entire recovery because "edge-guarding" doesn't bode well with me.
I'm looking at what certain equipment can do for certain characters, and smooth landing is what's currently being highlighted. Do you have anything to add on the matter that you haven't posted on every page of this discussion?
Dude, I'm gonna break them down for you. From the characters you posted:

good recoveries you tried to pass of as being bad: olimar/megaman/yoshi/palutena/metaknight
bad recovery that was previously bad: mac
bad recovery that was previously good: sonic

So, if you want to keep the cycle of auto combo > poke > randy upsmash you're my guest. Just don't try to downplay the importance of edgeguarding in the smash bros formula.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Dude, I'm gonna break them down for you. From the characters you posted:

good recoveries you tried to pass of as being bad: olimar/megaman/yoshi/palutena/metaknight
bad recovery that was previously bad: mac
bad recovery that was previously good: sonic

So, if you want to keep the cycle of auto combo > poke > randy upsmash you're my guest. Just don't try to downplay the importance of edgeguarding in the smash bros formula.
But i've SAID THAT. you have a whole thread for it, but this is for equipment only. I do play the mode you've described, but when I talk about it, it's in YOUR thread.

I can't actually think of a smash game that doesn't have true combos. If this game has one big shortcoming, it's air dodging, and how easy it is.

Muro

Smash Lord
But i've SAID THAT. you have a whole thread for it, but this is for equipment only. I do play the mode you've described, but when I talk about it, it's in YOUR thread.

I can't actually think of a smash game that doesn't have true combos. If this game has one big shortcoming, it's air dodging, and how easy it is.
yeah, but then you go out of your way to spread misinformation...I don't get you.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
yeah, but then you go out of your way to spread misinformation...I don't get you.
I...what?
Those recoveries as I used them in HGSL sucked. Like, unusuable and easily gimped. But whatever - move this to PM's, we're spammin this thread a bit.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Honestly even if somehow you got super balanced smooth lander badges everywhere, the cancelling it provides actually hinders the game's balance, at the cost of some aerials being slightly better. Sheik and Diddy's aerials become almost unpunishable, characters like Fox can just approach with nairs across the stage with no fears, and moves with huge landing lag like the Knee or Ganon's Dair are still pretty punishable and don't really lead to combos.
It really shouldn't even be a discussion of legality at this point.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Honestly even if somehow you got super balanced smooth lander badges everywhere, the cancelling it provides actually hinders the game's balance, at the cost of some aerials being slightly better. Sheik and Diddy's aerials become almost unpunishable, characters like Fox can just approach with nairs across the stage with no fears, and moves with huge landing lag like the Knee or Ganon's Dair are still pretty punishable and don't really lead to combos.
I think it should be necessary in the case of certain characters with unbelievable ending lag for aerials, (Zelda is can't land very well even without an aerial, and it might turn Lucina and Marth from punishing machines to somewhat offensive characters.)

There is a lot of equipment that can make certain characters substantially more interesting, which is something I've been working on since the Wii U version came out. Characters like Sheik and Diddy already have low landing lag, and they're obviously very good at dealing with almost any other character. Do you think any of the cast could have some of their more blaring flaws alleviated/strong points strengthened? (I've made a thread about this before, but it went cold immediately.)

I second the notion of SLHG. I think that'll make things more interesting at EVO 2015.

Also just a hilarious thought: What if there was a Melee Air Dodge equipment? :chuckle:

Muro

Smash Lord
I second the notion of SLHG. I think that'll make things more interesting at EVO 2015.

Also just a hilarious thought: What if there was a Melee Air Dodge equipment? :chuckle:
your heart is in the right place, but maybe we could settle for a small local first :p Also if you haven't, check out this thread.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex

Dodgy dodger cuts your air and ground dodge time in half - i'm uploading a showcase on this and similar equipment, it's stackable too.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Wait - forget everything I just said.
Heavy Jump only noticeably affects ground jump and falling speed.

I have video evidence!
behold.
Do you mean anchor jump? Also, I would like to see the video, but it doesn't seem to be working.
It's true that smooth lander on its own has a negative effect on gameplay, but there are a few different ways that it can be combined with something (heavy gravity, anchor jump, +Speed) to level the playing field.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Do you mean anchor jump? Also, I would like to see the video, but it doesn't seem to be working.

It's true that smooth lander on its own has a negative effect on gameplay, but there are a few different ways that it can be combined with something (heavy gravity, anchor jump, +Speed) to level the playing field.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Thanks.

I gotta say, this looks very, very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love SLHG, shout-outs to SLHG, it's a universally attainable thing now, but this looks like it could become a more finely-tuned version of it. I gotta get Anchor Jump now.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Thanks.

I gotta say, this looks very, very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love SLHG, shout-outs to SLHG, it's a universally attainable thing now, but this looks like it could become a more finely-tuned version of it. I gotta get Anchor Jump now.
SLHG can work more than you think - Springer gives you back your full ground jump in both cases.
I'm testing it with stuff like Moon launcher and floaty jumps, for character that survive better with the gravity they have already (Jiggs, MK, Ganon, samus, etc.) and character's with good vertical finishers (Fox, Ganon, Falcon, Link, etc.)

Everyone keep posting here btw, need to keep this thread going with the full potential of equipment.

Incomming 336

Smash Rookie
I prefer using First Striker instead of KO Heal because you'll get healed at the end of the round anyways. Additionaly bots ignore this kind of invincibility so they will try to hit you while you are batting the sh*t out of them.
There are videos of players who use this strat to reach 99(cap) wins in one order.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I prefer using First Striker instead of KO Heal because you'll get healed at the end of the round anyways. Additionaly bots ignore this kind of invincibility so they will try to hit you while you are batting the sh*t out of them.
There are videos of players who use this strat to reach 99(cap) wins in one order.
most of the bots I face perfectlydodge everything I do until invincibility wears out

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Was told to stop by here so...

..I was thinking of creating a Smooth Lander Brawn Badge only tournament. Reading through the thread I could see how some players have mentioned that the stats are random. Anyone able to report whether Mario with the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge has + 36 Attack and - 35 Defense?

If so then the stats with the badge should be the same on all consoles.

Also using an extra hammer to unlock the badge in Challenges makes it easy to unlock and practice at home for all players. (From the top right corner, 4th box when moving to the left).

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Was told to stop by here so...

..I was thinking of creating a Smooth Lander Brawn Badge only tournament. Reading through the thread I could see how some players have mentioned that the stats are random. Anyone able to report whether Mario with the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge has + 36 Attack and - 35 Defense?

If so then the stats with the badge should be the same on all consoles.

Also using an extra hammer to unlock the badge in Challenges makes it easy to unlock and practice at home for all players. (From the top right corner, 4th box when moving to the left).

Thoughts on this?
Stats are the same, but any balance-able SL gear should work fine.
Only a sad, sad ******* would try to up the competition with a stat boost.

That said, if I do enter, it'll be Ganondorf with SL AND Pro Glider. It's awesome, and I balanced it.
No combo's come out of it, it's just easier to manoeuvre ganon for punishes and return to stage, as well as applying shield pressure.

How about slow shield recharge? That's pretty easy to get AND balance.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
How do we unlock Slow Shield Recharge? Is it as easy as unlocking the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge in Challenges? I was looking for equipment that is easy for all players to unlock at home without having to grind, and equipment that seems that it should be tournament legal.

The extra stat boost does help kill a stock much sooner though. Some like it, while others are unsure since most of the time the kill felt like a hard punish.

Also what are the effects and stats of Pro Glider?

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
How do we unlock Slow Shield Recharge? Is it as easy as unlocking the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge in Challenges? I was looking for equipment that is easy for all players to unlock at home without having to grind, and equipment that seems that it should be tournament legal.

The extra stat boost does help kill a stock much sooner though. Some like it, while others are unsure since most of the time the kill felt like a hard punish.

Also what are the effects and stats of Pro Glider?
Pro Glider: x1.25 air speed (better air manoeuvrability)
You'd have to grind for it I guess, but we're only experimenting here.
It's really not that hard to get - slower shield recharge is just as easy.

That said, stat boosts are detrimental. A boost like that could have Fox killing at around 50% with an Up Smash, or 30% at the side with a back air.

If you can't balance the stats, just see how this tournament goes. It might go nowhere, but I'd like to see the best examples of what equipment can do.
I really want to use the effects of equipment in other types of play - really, really hope an update fixes the HG nerfs in Anchor jump and makes equipment more accessible.
Like, +0/-0 stat equipment.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Going to try and get a capture card ordered online and setup a Twitch stream to display what a tournament would be like with this badge on only. Hopefully transferring the footage to YouTube.

Maybe 2 or 3 months from now in Texas.

Yeah Heavy Gravity Mode effects some characters while not effecting others. And it nerfs the ones that are effected pretty hard.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Was told to take a look at the default Protection and Agility badges to help balance out the huge buff everyone gets on the Attack stats from the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge. I believe they come by default unlocked, if so that's a plus. The stats are shown here:

Smooth Lander Brawn Badge
+36 Attack
-35 Defense

Default Protection Badge
+21 Defense
-14 Speed

Default Agility Badge
+21 Speed
-14 Attack

End Result
Attack : +22
Defense : -14
Speed : +7

What do you guys think about that setup. Better than just one Smooth Lander by itself?

Last edited:
Top Bottom