• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

Muro

Smash Lord
and there's literally no way you could ever say SLAJ has "too good recoveries" because over half the cast doesn't even have recovery differences from SLHG to SLAJ
Unless air speed isn't influenced by the speed stat, or AJ leads to lower kb angles, there is no way this is true. At any rate I'm not gonna bother with the argument, it doesn't matter which is better it matters whose online feature wasn't taken out by nintendo.

wanna get the thread and merge slaj/slhg into different versions of Smooth Gravity in the OP?

edit: this goes for any of the regulars here, first one to answer gets it.

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
I can't seem to get browserhax working on my 3ds... I'm getting the same issue that Xhrri had. I've tried it about 50 times now, and haven't gotten a different result.

(Yes, I formatted the save data in the browser.)

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
I can't seem to get browserhax working on my 3ds... I'm getting the same issue that Xhrri had. I've tried it about 50 times now, and haven't gotten a different result.

(Yes, I formatted the save data in the browser.)
you using the NA version of the game?

Zhyrri

Smash Rookie
Did you initialize your internet settings? You have to do that first, then imediately scan the QR code. It needs to go through the start up dialoge the same session it loads the page, or at least it needed to for mine.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Muro Muro

I'm going to be creating a new thread for SLAJ in a bit. Not going to be using this thread because the inital pages are really bad.

Also, iunno why some of you are having trouble booting Browserhax. I decided to try it and got it to work 5 times in a row.

Muro

Smash Lord
Muro Muro

I'm going to be creating a new thread for SLAJ in a bit. Not going to be using this thread because the inital pages are really bad.

Also, iunno why some of you are having trouble booting Browserhax. I decided to try it and got it to work 5 times in a row.
Alright, we can have the mods close this one when the next is up.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
first we need to make sure people can actually get this working because so far only Hobbes has had an easy time doing it

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
For me, its the homebrew error. Its worked like 2 times every other time it gave me an error probably the internet...

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
The way I see, The improved build updated a few problems with wave 1 SLHG. And now SLAJ is taking that even further fixing broken recoveries and most importantly, wi-fi. As long as one person in your scene is able to get their 3DS working, you're golden on every WiiU.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Ok after finally getting homebrew to launch (after 50 tries), the import didn't do anything. I tried pressing B like 5 times in a row and absolutely nothing changed.

Would I need a physical copy of smash 3ds? or would digital work as well?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It works on both digital and physical copies. If you don't have the files in the correct place, SaveDataManager won't work. However, if you do, it will NEVER fail.

Also, can somebody please specify what's going on when trying to load Homebrew Launcher? I can't troubleshoot anything when all I'm being told is "the homebrew launcher didn't work wtf how 2 fix???". I need to know if you're getting an error from the payload or 3DS, if you're getting yellow screened, etc.

Muro

Smash Lord
The way I see, this method is the compromise we have to make because heavy gravity online is not a thing, even though it was perfectly implemented. Even if we decided to fiddle with hacked equipment it would still be a lot better to have HG and a 3rd badge with another SL badge or shield degenerator. Let's not talk about how easy it would be to patch diddy + sonic + megaman in the first place. This situation leaves me kinda disappointed in nintendo.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
It works on both digital and physical copies. If you don't have the files in the correct place, SaveDataManager won't work. However, if you do, it will NEVER fail.

Also, can somebody please specify what's going on when trying to load Homebrew Launcher? I can't troubleshoot anything when all I'm being told is "the homebrew launcher didn't work wtf how 2 fix???". I need to know if you're getting an error from the payload or 3DS, if you're getting yellow screened, etc.
My SD card looks like this:

*3ds
- save_manager
-save_manager.smdh
-save_manager.3dsx
-save_manager.xml​

*Nintendo 3DS

*boot.

*saveDataBackup
-save_data
-account
-system​

When i scan the QR code, it gos to ORANGE then crashes. If it manages to get through I import the files, press start to exit homebrew (x does nothing), then nothing is changed about my file.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
While it may have worked properly, it isn't as simple as it sounds to implement. They'd have to implement the menu into online, add a new way to access it, change the online CSS to have alternatives with Special Smash, ensure there's no desyncs, etc. all for it to work.

I'd rather have the DLC characters and stages we got than getting SLHG online because SLAJ is better.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Let's not talk about how easy it would be to patch diddy + sonic + megaman in the first place. This situation leaves me kinda disappointed in nintendo.
Totally agreed with you on that.

When i scan the QR code, it gos to ORANGE then crashes. If it manages to get through I import the files, press start to exit homebrew (x does nothing), then nothing is changed about my file.
I've been getting the orange screen--->kicked out of the browser with "an error has occured" situation as well.

It's possible you could be getting an error in transferring the file. Does anything flash on-screen for a split second when you try to copy? It's entirely possible that the save is out of date (i.e. I made it before the 1.1.4 update), and unless the version of the save file you're trying to import, as well as the version of the game on your 3Ds match, it won't copy.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm gonna go make a new starter kit using a base 1.1.5 save with Bayonetta + Corrin, along with updated payloads and MenuHax.

Hopefully this'll work better.

Muro

Smash Lord
While it may have worked properly, it isn't as simple as it sounds to implement. They'd have to implement the menu into online, add a new way to access it, change the online CSS to have alternatives with Special Smash, ensure there's no desyncs, etc. all for it to work.
or, don't patch it out. Literally all they had to do was not mess with it, it was working. Also rearranging menus? really?

I'd rather have the DLC characters and stages we got than getting SLHG online because SLAJ is better.
It cannot be better by virtue of usig up an equipment spot for something that could be done with special smash. It's SL + ML + HG + whateveryouwant vs SL + ML + AJ. You could also fiddle with the speed stat if you wished in HG. I'm not trying to be too down on it because SLAJ is still awesome, but it's nothing if not a compromise we had to make due to nintendo's incompetence.

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
I'm not trying to be too down on it because SLAJ is still awesome, but it's nothing if not a compromise we had to make due to nintendo's incompetence.
Compromise? It's a straight up improvement dude. The number one complaint I always heard when bringing up SLHG was recoveries. And now its fixed. I could ramble on more, but I'll leave that to the new thread to explain.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It was a glitch that wasn't intended to be in the game. Do you really think that Nintendo patching out a glitch from one of their largest franchises is showing their "incompetence"?

Also, adding anything on top of SLHG's current effects would be terrible. Nerfing shields any further might as well make them useless, and adding another Smooth Lander badge would just make the pressure of characters like Sheik stupidly absurd. If you added another Smooth Lander badge, you'd have f6 aerials, which are non-existant in Smash outside of N64ZCancel.

Like, half of the things you're saying make no sense. You're even commenting about SLAJ without ever playing it or watching anything other than one terrible replay which came after a six month break.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
Muro Muro I feel your frustration my boy but yea this is like a "back door" fix I guess.

The good thing now is since it seems were open to hacked equipment now SLAJ can be improve or fixed like SAHunter stated. It looks good and I do wonder if the combos are the same but yea seems promising at least. I kind of just wanna see more gameplay which I'm sure I'll see soon enough lol... so yea that's where I'm at with this. I do feel out of the loop but that's a side issue I can't control.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Also, adding anything on top of SLHG's current effects would be terrible.
leave it without an effect then. Is this hard to understand? Imagine you really need to carry 3 things. You could have 4 baskets or 3 baskets. Having 4 baskets is always better because you can put whatever you want in the last one, you can even leave it alone. But most likely, you're better off carrying something else even if it's not the most important thing.

Last edited:

Leebee

Smash Cadet
this is maybe one of the weirdest analogies I've ever read. the potential to add more changes doesn't matter unless there's something specific you want to change. this is everything that SLHG was except better because speed allows better offense and things are more dynamic since characters can actually combo horizontally.

Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , I'll be able to try things out once my SD card reader arrives. really looking forward to it!

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, in SLHG, it would be nice to have two Moon Launchers instead of one, bringing the vertical knockback deficit closer to 0, but SLAJ is more or less the best that can be done right now for overall accessibility and such... until we can actually hack the game, heh.

Muro

Smash Lord
this is maybe one of the weirdest analogies I've ever read. the potential to add more changes doesn't matter unless there's something specific you want to change. this is everything that SLHG was except better because speed allows better offense and things are more dynamic since characters can actually combo horizontally.
Jesus dude, you can have the same speed boost in slhg for horizontal combos. You can use the same badges in HG that you can in normal gravity, except you get one more free since you don't need AJ. And I can think of many ways to improve the game with the last badge.

Gonna stop ****ting the thread with this discussion now. I'll leave just one last thought, they bothered to patch out HG online before they bothered to patch the broken recoveries, that to me is incompetence.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
"before they bothered to patch the broken recoveries"

do you really think they'd change the game's recoveries just for SLHG

LOL

Muro

Smash Lord
"before they bothered to patch the broken recoveries"

do you really think they'd change the game's recoveries just for SLHG

LOL
lol so taking out online was "patching out a glitch from one of their largest franchises", fixing something they should've made right in the first place is some unheard of crazy feature... ok dude.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Ill take online over non-online. Also, i have noticed a lack of horizontal movement with SLHG. I think 22+ speed is a welcome change.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
they took out a glitch that obviously wasn't intended, the game is made specifically for vanilla smash and thus has it's mechanics based around that

so idk what your point is

Muro

Smash Lord
they took out a glitch that obviously wasn't intended, the game is made specifically for vanilla smash and thus has it's mechanics based around that
They should take out other glitches that obviously aren't intended like those recoveries. And I don't get how taking out HG online helps vanilla in anyway?

so idk what your point is
well I don't think you're going to get it soon, you'd have to accept they make poor decisions, but doing mental gymnastics to justify them seems to come easier to you.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
They should take out other glitches that obviously aren't intended like those recoveries. And I don't get how taking out HG online helps vanilla in anyway?

well I don't think you're going to get it soon, you'd have to accept they make poor decisions, but doing mental gymnastics to justify them seems to come easier to you.
I was replying to both your comments, the recovery issue isn't going to be changed because the game is balanced around vanilla, not SLHG, so there's no reason for them to "fix" them

also Smash team has made poor decisions in the past but this really isn't one of them, you just don't understand any of the work that goes into making anything for a game whatsoever so you think they just need to spend like 30 minutes to implement Special Smash online lol

Muro

Smash Lord
@Hobbes you gotta be ****ting me now. They intended for mega man, diddy and duck hunt's recoveries to be like that in HG? seriously?

Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima maybe you don't understand that designing the 2 separate menus for game options takes more time than one? If HG was an option in the regular game options that whole time crisis would be averted, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. See it's not about time, it's about not doing things right. But please, keep defending their honor.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
dude

it's special smash

they aren't going to make changes to the fighters to ensure that giant fast heavy metal curry bunny hood angled stamina super sudden death matches are balanced

Muro

Smash Lord
oh so it's lack of want now? So they want to cut online features... why? what does cutting special smash online have to do with vanilla? And even better, they added special smash online to tournament mode, except they added the only one that wasn't working lol. I'm sure they saved some time on that one.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
i never said i wanted special smash online to be cut, nor did i say special smash online affects vanilla

so

ok :secretkpop:

Muro

Smash Lord
no, but your justification for them not patching HG broken recoveries was that they do everything for vanilla, so you have to be consistent and apply that same logic to their other decisions, like taking out ss online. But that's only if you're not bending yourself out of shape to defend their honor of course.

And then you say **** like this: "you just don't understand any of the work that goes into making anything for a game whatsoever so you think they just need to spend like 30 minutes to implement Special Smash online lol". So I'm still waiting for you to explain why they spent time taking out the modes that were working only to add the one that didn't. You're right I don't understand it, because it's bonkers.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
because the mode that was working was by an unintended glitch

you're saying that they're incompetent for not fixing heavy gravity recoveries because they are "clearly unintended" yet at the same time saying they should have kept the heavy gravity glitch which was obviously unintended?

ok :052:

Muro

Smash Lord
Ok first of all, let's take a step back. I don't think they, as a whole, are incompetent. Nintendo does make some of the finest games out there (including smash). I do think they are incompetent in many decisions, and were in this case.

First, identifying an option given to the player as a glitch rather than an unintended feature. Second, giving priority to taking out said glitch, instead of other much more important issues. Not even talking about HG recoveries, just the game in general. And third, promise special smash online, and go to the trouble of adding it to tournament mode, only for it to be the one mode inside special smash that didn't work before.

their bugs are better than their features. What does that tell you?

Top Bottom