• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
How does his down B work? Is it still good?
No, as far as I can tell it's terrible. I'm bad at mashing so recovery wise it might still be okay, but it does NOT kill until very late.

Muro

Smash Lord
I like a lot of characters I would never play otherwise, like DK for example. bair nair and up air are all good moves. And I love jumping off and up-b'ing characters recoveries. He's got good aerial speed to go offstage, and the up-b has no risks, if you manage to land it it's almost certainly a gimp. You can even B reverse it to rocover faster than the recovering player and continue edgeguarding.

I guess with the patch buffs he'll be even better.

edit: remember we can share replays now :D

Last edited:

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
I'm really happy with the functionality of Mewtwo. He may be light, but that's okay since it can help him evade some punishes others would fall into. And his combo game, oh boy, we have some stuff here.
Fair, down tilt, up tilt, down air, and up air are all basically auto setups for whatever you want to do after that, and back air combos into itself (and maaaaaaaaybe dair, in my head it feels like it should but I should test it) for ledgeguards. And his recovery is obviously great.
Also, new Diddy is still just as fun, if not more fun, than pre-patch, and I'm so happy. I downloaded Hyrule Castle and did six up airs. It was glorious. Marth also feels better for some reason.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Here's another vid showing off meta-knight. The guy who played R.O.B. is pretty casual but he's really good at Smash 64.

Muro

Smash Lord
Nice @ ZADD ZADD , thank you very much. You're not very confident in your offstage with metaknight are you? Look its ok to post a match of you stomping your friends with your main, I think those kind of videos make for a good spectacle. In a lot of these I get the feeling you guys are not 100% familiarized with the characters, but thanks for the videos, this is exactly what we need. Btw, who are your mains?

@ blargh257 blargh257 I think marth's fair was buffed, before he could barely get an up air out after a full hop fair, now he can get it out with more margin for error. Bair remains the same, I think they had the same lag before, but now fair is faster.

The first dude to discover the SLHG posted a mewtwo showcase:
Look at the likes he received, it looks like a lot of people like SLHG, and our numbers are only increasing with more content.

I also found more SLHG videos in the wild, this one is pretty good:

and this one is a bit lesser quality due to the recording. Also it seems like he's using some whacky stats. At any rate it's cool to see people are interested in SLHG.

Show them some love in the comments if possible.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Thanks so much, dude!
No worries man, always nice to see people repping SLHG, and your channel is pretty nice. Also, 2 questions:

1. Did you use any of the builds in this thread's OP?
2. I shared your video in my local community and somebody asked, is the code US or EU?

Last edited:

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Nice @ ZADD ZADD , thank you very much. You're not very confident in your offstage with metaknight are you? Look its ok to post a match of you stomping your friends with your main, I think those kind of videos make for a good spectacle. In a lot of these I get the feeling you guys are not 100% familiarized with the characters, but thanks for the videos, this is exactly what we need. Btw, who are your mains?
You're right, a lot of these videos I just pick a random character so it's not a total blowout. Personally, my mains in SLHG are Falco and Peach. Falco has true combos for DAYS with D-Throw > D-air > Up-tilt etc., and Peach is one of the best zoners in SLHG with float cancel and turnip shenanigans. I have tons of replays with both, I'm just afraid yall take it less seriously when it'against a scrub, something like "That would never work on a real opponenent". That is one thing I have to say to this thread is that SLHG plays much differently against humans than CPUs, combos are not as spoon-fed to you when your opponent can DI/tech or N-air out.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
If you want a minimal effort way to unlock equipment, use Smash Tour.

You can set up Smash Tour for 1 player right on the tablet and basically ignore it for 15-20 minutes. When it finishes, you'll get 4-12 equipment/custom/mii costume items. I did this to unlock over 200 of my custom moves and have a gigantic list of equipment without going out of my way to specifically collect it.

Somewhere along the way I picked up a different smooth lander piece that lets me do a 3/0/1 (power/defense/speed) set up on everyone with other standard parts.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
SLHG plays much differently against humans than CPUs, combos are not as spoon-fed to you when your opponent can DI/tech or N-air out.
I'm aware of this and it sort of worries me. To be clear, there is still a decent punish game, yes?

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
I have tons of replays with both, I'm just afraid yall take it less seriously when it'against a scrub, something like "That would never work on a real opponenent".
Don't worry about it man, discussing the videos is part of the fun. Don't be afraid to post them, we all want to see good movement, doesn't matter if it's not super duper high level.

That is one thing I have to say to this thread is that SLHG plays much differently against humans than CPUs, combos are not as spoon-fed to you when your opponent can DI/tech or N-air out.
And that's cool. Brawl was like that, you get a hit and then position yourself to cover the options so you can get another one, and it was enjoyable. I suspect SLHG will bring a lot of that back, but with more true combos. Actually, I played with a total casual (had to teach him what each button did) and already noticed a good difference. And also, that's the whole reason we want videos in the first place, to see how it works with human players. Don't be afraid of posting your videos, this is not some life and death matter :)

Thanks, but the whole point is having a build that is easy and quick to unlock and that can be obtained in the same way, with the same stats by everyone. Check the OP, most people from what I gather prefer build 2.

Last edited:

VeggieSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
VeggieSteel
So, this game mode is a lot of fun! Increased reward for aggressive play and generally weaker recoveries make for more exciting matches.

I'd love to see a small SLHG tournament get streamed, or put up on youtube. I think it would do a lot for increasing the popularity of SLHG. Too bad it can't be played online, that really hurts us as far as getting people to try it.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Too bad it can't be played online, that really hurts us as far as getting people to try it.
There are some alternatives which sort of work online, but none of them are really any good. You've got SL Anchor Jump, which is too hard to get and has lessened effects, SL 0.8x damage ratio which works but for considerably less characters and still has the same recoveries, and a few other things. Again, none of them really work.
That said I'd probably still play SL 0.8x with people if they wanted to.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Just started looking into this and wanted to test this out. I'd really love for customs off, customs on, and SL+HG to all live in harmony :)

Went to use my golden hammer and got the able sisters instead :p so I had to make a makeshift setup for each character from a smooth lander piece of equipment on my 3ds version.

That's when a couple of thoughts popped into my head:

1) We have a few ways of attaining a character setup that works according to the original post. Though setup 1 is the easiest to attain (unless you're stupid like me lol), people seem to prefer setup 2 and there doesn't seem to be as much of an absolute.

2) Another thread in the competitive board that's been popping lately is questioning the use of equipment in the competitive scene. I think it's a neat idea and I wanted to mention this thread as a starting point because I don't know of anyone else who has really experimented with equipment.

Then I got to thinking: what if we could use this format as a building block to equipment experimentation by having people transfer their own sets from a 3ds if they have one? Having one piece of equipment that does smooth landing could be required, and then we could either have no other extras and just stat boosts, putting a cap at a certain number (maybe +50?) or deciding on what extras are and aren't allowed (auto-healing banned, etc.) Would that be something you guys would want to try out, or just keep everybody with the same stat boosts?

Muro

Smash Lord
So, this game mode is a lot of fun! Increased reward for aggressive play and generally weaker recoveries make for more exciting matches.

I'd love to see a small SLHG tournament get streamed, or put up on youtube. I think it would do a lot for increasing the popularity of SLHG. Too bad it can't be played online, that really hurts us as far as getting people to try it.
Yeah the no online forces us to go old school with offline tournaments only lol. Let's hope they somehow make special smash an option online with a patch (doubtful).

I wonder how many people would actually attend a tournament with SLHG. There seems to be a lot of interested players but it's probably not enough right now, unless we get lucky with the geographic distribution lol.

The most important thing right now are videos, but again having someone with other people to play in SLHG and a capture card is pretty rare :/

Just started looking into this and wanted to test this out. I'd really love for customs off, customs on, and SL+HG to all live in harmony :)

Went to use my golden hammer and got the able sisters instead :p so I had to make a makeshift setup for each character from a smooth lander piece of equipment on my 3ds version.
lol, that's unlucky. What stats did you end up with?

That's when a couple of thoughts popped into my head:

1) We have a few ways of attaining a character setup that works according to the original post. Though setup 1 is the easiest to attain (unless you're stupid like me lol), people seem to prefer setup 2 and there doesn't seem to be as much of an absolute.

2) Another thread in the competitive board that's been popping lately is questioning the use of equipment in the competitive scene. I think it's a neat idea and I wanted to mention this thread as a starting point because I don't know of anyone else who has really experimented with equipment.

Then I got to thinking: what if we could use this format as a building block to equipment experimentation by having people transfer their own sets from a 3ds if they have one? Having one piece of equipment that does smooth landing could be required, and then we could either have no other extras and just stat boosts, putting a cap at a certain number (maybe +50?) or deciding on what extras are and aren't allowed (auto-healing banned, etc.) Would that be something you guys would want to try out, or just keep everybody with the same stat boosts?
Personally I'd like to keep it with non random equipment. It's already hard to get people to try it with easy to get badges, random equipment is quite a chore.

I think SLHG with build 1 or 2 is probably the best work/fun tradeoff we can get depending on what you like.

An equipment tournament with an encompassing ruleset could be interesting though, but at that point it might not even include the SL badge depending on the ruleset.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Hey guys, I uploaded a few more videos, If you like them subscribe so you'll know when I put up new ones!

Here's another Best of 3 between 2 of my buddies.

Here's a quick rematch I did with Pertwerk, his Yoshi is getting good..

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
lol, that's unlucky. What stats did you end up with?
So I had the protection and agility badges like in wii u, the only difference was the brawn badge. I ended up with -1/-3/7 stats. Now that the mewtwo glitch is fixed I don't have to be afraid of 1-player modes anymore so hopefully I can get that fixed quick :)

Muro

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I uploaded a few more videos, If you like them subscribe so you'll know when I put up new ones!

Here's another Best of 3 between 2 of my buddies.

Here's a quick rematch I did with Pertwerk, his Yoshi is getting good..
@ ZADD ZADD always delivers. Thanks man, if you want me to change the main video in the OP say it. Every other goes in the video section. you da real MVP.

This is groundbreaking, as soon as I confirm it works it's going in the OP, let's test it!

Last edited:

xkv

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend have played over 750 matches with Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity and play it exclusively now. Here's a short and funny match we played

Last edited:

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Me and my friend have played over 750 matches with Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity and play it exclusively now. Here's a short and funny match we played
Hey, welcome. It looks like you're playing build 1. Have you tried build 2?

Last edited:

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
Has anyone grinded to get perfect zeroes on this yet? I would like to have a perfect Brawler for comparisons.

VeggieSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
VeggieSteel
Wow, I ask for online play and it magically appears! Amazing!

My NNID is VeggieSteel, add me and we'll play some SLHG next time I'm online!

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Ill play you soon if you want, i have some friends playing SLHG doubles right now we can do some after.
It would be about an hour from now. That's not exactly soon.
EDIT
Apparently life says twenty minutes. Huh. I'm available if anyone cares.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Ok since this is a major development I'm tagging everyone who ever showed interest. We can play online now, organizing a tournament with our SLHG bros is inside the realm of possibility, and about ****ing time too.

@ blargh257 blargh257 @Dr. Bran @ VeggieSteel VeggieSteel @Zodiacx10 @Licensed Gonad Inspector @xHackAttackx @PfantzyPantz @ micstar615 micstar615 @HalfBakedHarry @GunBlaze @zekrom3112 @Xinc @ Jugoken Jugoken @Galespark @SaturnFrost @Diabolical @Djent @SuaveChaser @Smiles @GameWatching @Kwam$tack$ @Phoenix502 @RanserSSF4 @KayJay @ Shog Shog @ Balgorxz Balgorxz @MajorMajora @moreside @SAHunterMech @CrusaderVX @ ZADD ZADD @Burnsy @B.A.M. @Dreamaholic @Artemis @RascalTheCharizard @Donkeybutter @Wintropy @ P Pippin (Peregrin Took) @L9999 @Captain Norris @W.A.C. @Gamebox_64 @moofpi @Earthboundy @kyoskue @ AceStarThe3rd AceStarThe3rd @ Cornstalk Cornstalk @ X xkv @Pwii

that was more than I thought lol.

Ok another question, do you think I should update the OP with a player list so people can PM each other with match requests or even putting NNID's next to the names? If there are enough takers I'll update it with a SLHG bro list.

Last edited:

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
WOOOOOW I CAN'T BELIVE THIS GLITCH WAS FOUND, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES LOL & THIS IS HAPPENING!? SWEET!!!! :D

NNID: Jugoken

Are we allowing Custom Move Sets as well cuz that would be awesome! xD

Also what would the rules be? Do we use the same build as somebody else or can we use any of the 3 builds that we like?

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Yeah that is nice and all, but I am waaaay to casual for competitive battles. Thank you for tagging me anyways Muro

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Ok since this is a major development I'm tagging everyone who ever showed interest. We can play online now, organizing a tournament with our SLHG bros is inside the realm of possibility, and about ****ing time too.

@ blargh257 blargh257 @Dr. Bran @ VeggieSteel VeggieSteel @Zodiacx10 @Licenced Gonad Inspector @xHackAttackx @PfantzyPantz @ micstar615 micstar615 @HalfBakedHarry @GunBlaze @zekrom3112 @Xinc @ Jugoken Jugoken @Galespark @SaturnFrost @Diabolical @Djent @SuaveChaser @Smiles @GameWatching @Kwam$tack$ @Phoenix502 @RanserSSF4 @KayJay @ Shog Shog @ Balgorxz Balgorxz @MajorMajora @moreside @SAHunterMech @CrusaderVX @ ZADD ZADD @Burnsy @B.A.M. @Dreamaholic @Artemis @RascalTheCharizard @Donkeybutter @Wintropy @ P Pippin (Peregrin Took) @L9999 @Captain Norris @W.A.C. @Gamebox_64 @moofpi @Earthboundy @kyoskue @ AceStarThe3rd AceStarThe3rd @ Cornstalk Cornstalk @ X xkv @Pwii

that was more than I thought lol.

Ok another question, do you think I should update the OP with a player list so people can PM each other with match requests or even putting NNID's next to the names? If there are enough takers I'll update it with a SLHG bro list.
Do you think we should get an online thread in the online section? Matchmaking in this thread would eat all the discussion that anyone would want to make.

EDIT
Also @ Jugoken Jugoken here's the ruleset I have, others are different.
Build 2 (Smooth Lander Brawn Badge/Moon Launcher Protection Badge/Item Hitter Agility Badge all from the challenge board) is in use. Heavy gravity is on. All other Special modes are off.
3 stock 7 minutes
Custom moves are not allowed with the following exception
-The Up B moves of Mega Man, Sonic, Diddy Kong, and Duck Hunt can be switched. (I think that covers all the heavy gravity nerfed recoveries besides Villager but he's too good at that already. I also think this is a stupid rule that I should probably do away with but my Mega Man is defaulted into Up B 2 and Pikachu would be broken with his second Skull Bash.)
Items are off, obviously.
Standard timeout rules.
Stage List:
Starters
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
Counterpick
-Town and City
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Omega Stages (any)
It's not well tested and there are probably a lot of things wrong with it but that's what I have so far.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Yeah that is nice and all, but I am waaaay to casual for competitive battles. Thank you for tagging me anyways Muro
Play it casually then, not everything has to be super serious. If you want to play some matches online, now you can.

Do you think we should get an online thread in the online section? Matchmaking in this thread would eat all the discussion that anyone would want to make.
I dunno if there are enough people for that right now, but eventually yes. If you wanna do it go ahead, I'll link it in the OP.

WOOOOOW I CAN'T BELIVE THIS GLITCH WAS FOUND, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES LOL & THIS IS HAPPENING!? SWEET!!!! :D

NNID: Jugoken

Are we allowing Custom Move Sets as well cuz that would be awesome! xD

Also what would the rules be? Do we use the same build as somebody else or can we use any of the 3 builds that we like?
I gotta say I'm not a fan of customs, generally. I think there is far too much dumb stuff about them, and they're too hard to unlock. I'm willing to put up with them if it means I get to play SLHG tho, they're not a deal breaker, but I think the game is better without them.

Of course, everybody would choose the same build, whatever it is.

Also @ Jugoken Jugoken here's the ruleset I have, others are different.
Build 2 (Smooth Lander Brawn Badge/Moon Launcher Protection Badge/Item Hitter Agility Badge all from the challenge board) is in use. Heavy gravity is on. All other Special modes are off.
3 stock 7 minutes
Custom moves are not allowed with the following exception
-The Up B moves of Mega Man, Sonic, Diddy Kong, and Duck Hunt can be switched. (I think that covers all the heavy gravity nerfed recoveries besides Villager but he's too good at that already. I also think this is a stupid rule that I should probably do away with but my Mega Man is defaulted into Up B 2 and Pikachu would be broken with his second Skull Bash.)
Items are off, obviously.
Standard timeout rules.
Stage List:
Starters
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
Counterpick
-Town and City
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Omega Stages (any)
It's not well tested and there are probably a lot of things wrong with it but that's what I have so far.
I like your stage choice.

If we stick to no-customs (which I think we should), I don't think we should really give a break to diddy sonic and DHD just because they get nerfed. Other characters get nerfed in various ways, and if we start allowing this kind of rules it'd become kinda crazy deciding what characters get to have which custom moves etc. The only one I'd let change Up-B is megaman but that's because his normal Up-B should probably be banned on account of its stalling potential, and how easy Tornado Hold is to unlock.

This is only what I think, you guys tell me what you think too.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
I think customs are fine as long as players don't change their entire playstyle around a single OP move (Kirby's Hammer, Pikachu's Skull Bash, Olimar's tackle throw, Villager's Trip Seed) I realize that the line defining this is vague and grey, and I agree for the sake of fairness RIGHT NOW customs should be withheld, but they should be included in the future when we understand how we can evaluate each moves' effect on the meta.

Perhaps distinguished Alt movesets can be fleshed out, so some characters have respected options.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
whoever found out the SLHG thing online I love you
anyways anyone who wants to test stuff
NNID:jota281usa

Last edited:

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
I generally agree that Diddy shouldn't have the custom Up B, he's good without it, and DHD has horizontal recovery. Sonic IDK.
The stage choice was basically the current list with the condition that if there was a lot of top-platform camping the stage can't be used because of things like Falco and Jiggs who can just go there while other characters cannot leading to camping. This ended up excluding Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, and Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom