• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Even ignoring the fact that we lost SLHG online, just the simple fact that special smash online is restricted to stamina is just a baffling restriction. Especially since we can't set up a proper, competitive bracket anyways.

What if I wanted to make a jetpack tournament, Sakurai? :(

Well now I'll have to find more people to play this with.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
This update really screwed over some hype. I hope they give us the Tourney Mode they promised and not this limited bullcrap.

Muro

Smash Lord
What glitch exactly?
we used to be able to play slhg online with a "glitch".

Leave it to Nintendo to make the worst out of a good situation. Some of these decisions are just bananas....

Well at least Fox got a useful shine, that was the one tool he was missing.

edit: edited thread title and OP to remove online.

Last edited:

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
we used to be able to play slhg online with a "glitch".

Leave it to Nintendo to make the worst out of a good situation. Some of these decisions are just bananas....

Well at least Fox got a useful shine, that was the one tool he was missing.

edit: edited thread title and OP to remove online.
Yea I mean the tourney mode is cool in all I just was hoping for more options/customization, who knows maybe they'll add more later...hopefully (Please God).

Unfortunately I can't practice/play against my bro or you guys now in slhg but I guess it's cool maybe something will come up.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Between all the time I've spent grinding for customs (on both Wii U AND 3DS) I haven't seen this "anchor jump" equipment once. I'm sure it exists, but I have no way of confirming its effects.

I wonder if there are power saves to spawn specific pieces of equipment, though. For 3DS users, that would reduce the time barrier (although it would raise the cost of entry) to trying that out. Regardless, I would still prefer the current method - it's more elegant of a solution and incredibly easy to set up from a fresh save. It's just unfortunate it doesn't work online anymore.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
This update really screwed over some hype. I hope they give us the Tourney Mode they promised and not this limited bullcrap.
Between all the time I've spent grinding for customs (on both Wii U AND 3DS) I haven't seen this "anchor jump" equipment once. I'm sure it exists, but I have no way of confirming its effects.

I wonder if there are power saves to spawn specific pieces of equipment, though. For 3DS users, that would reduce the time barrier (although it would raise the cost of entry) to trying that out. Regardless, I would still prefer the current method - it's more elegant of a solution and incredibly easy to set up from a fresh save. It's just unfortunate it doesn't work online anymore.
I have 5 anchor jumps, its really similar to SLHG I use the same combos with it
if someone our there has some it would be cool to play with it

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
yeah anchor jump is not the same... and it's randomly obtained, with random stats.

Fox feels so good too, what a shame.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
It baffles me that Sakurai would remove the Glitch to play Special Smash online, and at the same time not offer a legit way to do so.

It's obviously a very simple procedure to implement, as it was very easy to do with the glitch.

Daddy Sakurai doesn't want us to have fun if it isn't HIS WAY. It's like he takes pleasure in saying You can't do that, even when there's no reason whatsoever. Why limit/isolate your fanbase time after time, then question why everyone doesn't understand.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
The glitch got popular from Slhg, I think he just doesn't want people to imitate Melee. That or he just tells the devs to fix any known bug regardless. Still, it's a big let down that we don't have an online option, especially in these days.
doubt it, sakurai is even nerfing rolls so people stop being defensive, he doesn't like defensive and camping playstyle he said it in his last interview, the thing is that every bug in this game is fixed, like all infinites.

remember the west is irrelevant to patches and japan doesn't know what SLHG so probably they don't know it either.

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
If we had Special Smash online before, I'm holding out that we will get it as a legit method one day.
But today is not that day.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
doubt it, sakurai is even nerfing rolls so people stop being defensive, he doesn't like defensive and camping playstyle he said it in his last interview, the thing is that every bug in this game is fixed, like all infinites.

remember the west is irrelevant to patches and japan doesn't know what SLHG so probably they don't know it either.
This is news to me, hmm maybe he'll tweak the shielding to allow more punish as well so people can be more aggressive with any character and power type characters such as bowser can be more of a threat. Lol that would change the tier list a bit if that actually happened but probably not.

Either way I'm like artful I'm hoping for some type of online special mode or custom mode.

To be honest a custom mode that lets you tweak shielding, rolling, gravity, speed,etc wouldn't be a bad idea. And if this said mode was allowed online as well with friends, that would be great. Then people could play however they wanted and it wouldn't be a bother to others who don't want to play a certain way because they wouldn't have to. I mean since this is the most "customizable" smash why not, right?

(mostly wishful thinking though)

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Really? Did he do a vid or something?

Have you guys tried marth after the patch? He's been buffed a lot in these past patches.
Yes, he's quite better now. 1.09 and 1.1.0 brought some significant changes. Jab and DB now lead to more and better options and overall ending lag reduction make his play more fluid. I really wanted to try him in action now :(

Tael_LInk

Smash Rookie
I tried this mode, and I agree with all the others that this is very satisfying and perfect balance between melee and brawl.

However, this is the same feeling I have about Smash 4 vanilla. I understand the point of view that it is campy and slow paced, but I feel that is only at low level play. I don't know about anyone else, but recently sm4sh has been starting to feel more fast paced. It might be a placebo, or players just playing really well.

However, I still feel that adding this mode into the official ruleset will make this game even better. I just don't like that some characters have nerfed recoveries, but that is all.

I'm just hesitant to playing this mode too much because I'm afraid it well mess up my vanilla smash 4 play. I have the same feeling about customs. If we just finally get our heads together and don't make ignorant decisions, we can get a nice ruleset and we won't have to worry about multiple metas. And this mode is a really nice mode. You don't need customs moves for this either. And it's easier to obtain the badges than all the custom moves IMO.

That's just my opinion though.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
I'm just hesitant to playing this mode too much because I'm afraid it well mess up my vanilla smash 4 play. I have the same feeling about customs. If we just finally get our heads together and don't make ignorant decisions, we can get a nice ruleset and we won't have to worry about multiple metas. And this mode is a really nice mode. You don't need customs moves for this either. And it's easier to obtain the badges than all the custom moves IMO.

That's just my opinion though.
I can see where you have your concerns with slhg effecting your vanilla sm4sh is coming from. Thats why some people change mains between slhg and vanilla sm4sh so they dont really have to adjust to much, there are some characters who turn into entirely different beasts like marth and ike, but there are some characters who barely change at all like ness, lucario, rob, and olimar. Belive it or not fundementals carry over which is why my freinds had such an easy time jumping into slhg the only thing you have to adjust to is to adjust to is the heavier gravity (obviously) and being quicker to react to punishes due to safer arials. Due to playing slhg my punish game actually got A LOT better in this mode and vanilla sm4sh. Also regarding the ruleset there was talk about this a couple months ago and we were leaning towards no customs except for the charcters who need the extra height, and for megemans up b to be tornado hold.

Last edited:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Nice to See that slhg is actually exploding now on Youtube (thanks to RED's exposure vid it seems). Did a Most recent check on youtube and it looks like ppl are really geting into it now.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
What are your guys' thoughts on heavy characters in this mode?

One of the biggest concerns with this mode was always the "balance" but I actually feel like characters that are considered low tier in vanilla are better in this mode like Zelda, Mewtwo and Bowser. There are def characters that are going to be very, very good compared to the rest of the cast but I feel like most characters can all hold their own in this mode, I haven't played around with all of the heavy characters besides Boswer though

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
DK is awesome, very PM-esque with how some of his combos and offstage game works. Cargo grab release to put the opponent off the stage can also be hilarious against fast fallers like the spacies.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
DK is awesome, very PM-esque with how some of his combos and offstage game works. Cargo grab release to put the opponent off the stage can also be hilarious against fast fallers like the spacies.
Seen it once or twice, very funny indeed.

What are the chances of there being another exploitable glitch to play this online again? Near 0%?
That's why I asked before who discovered this first.

Muro

Smash Lord
In case anybody else was wondering, this is RED's video:
Think this one is gonna go be the new main video.

What are your guys' thoughts on heavy characters in this mode?

One of the biggest concerns with this mode was always the "balance" but I actually feel like characters that are considered low tier in vanilla are better in this mode like Zelda, Mewtwo and Bowser. There are def characters that are going to be very, very good compared to the rest of the cast but I feel like most characters can all hold their own in this mode, I haven't played around with all of the heavy characters besides Boswer though
TBH I think large characters are pretty much screwed regardless of the mode. They do benefit the most from lower lag and the moon launcher effect, because they tend to lag more on landing and also to be the ones dishing out more damage per move, but the big frame really is a big hindrance. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'd still like to see how it plays out in tournament.

Seen it once or twice, very funny indeed.

What are the chances of there being another exploitable glitch to play this online again? Near 0%?
That's why I asked before who discovered this first.
Who knows. I'd bet on it being properly implemented before a new glitch is discovered though.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Mewtwo is a must try! He just feels awesome to play with.

Does anyone plan on making an Slhg tier list? Thing change up alot using it.
We made like first impression tier lists a while ago. But jeez man, not enough is being shown to really start developing something like that yet. So much has changed since then, that and the buffs and nerfs for characters shake things up for sure.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So.. is this setup for you guys a way to "fix" Smash 4 and make it play "better"? Or is this just a fun thing to do with some interesting findings?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
If you're worrying about balance in this mode, then you don't understand the purpose of this.
Also, unlike vanilla smash 4, sheik isn't the only one with actual shield pressure. Every character now has it, and offense is now rewarded more.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Hey guys,
I used to say a lot about :4metaknight:'s potential in SLHG, even before he was buffed. But here are a few reasons he is A-tier material.

• Nair is verrrry safe, and the knockback on this move sends opponents far far away at around 100%.
  • Meta Knights F-tilt combo sends opponents at a 25-35° angle horizontally (instead of 45° in regular Sm4sh). Great for edge-guards or stage control.
  • His new animations are more helpful than you might think, especially since SLHG makes his F-air and B-air so safe.
  • Drop a B-air or F-air from the ledge to edge-guard, not many characters have an answer for it. MK has no problem recovering.
  • U-air > Up-B links exceptionally better than in Vanilla, and I'm pretty sure it's a true combo in Vanilla... Up-B is harder to kill due to HG tho.
  • D-throw combos well into ~120%, one of the best D-throws in SLHG imo.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo is a must try! He just feels awesome to play with.

Does anyone plan on making an Slhg tier list? Things change up alot using it.
Please no lol...no more tier lists it makes people flutter to certain characters instead of figuring out the in's and out's of said character.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Mario only gets those super hard to spam up tilt combos at 50 :E. The only tech I knew with Mayro is gone for low percents!
Then it's time to learn how to actually play Mario.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Ironically, In SLHG Dr. Mario's D-Throw functions much like Vanilla Mario's.
:4drmario: D-throw > U-tilt works at 0% into around 50-60%.

Last edited:

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
Hey everyone. I'm looking to have a HGSL side event at my next local, and I'm of course already aware of the recovery issues some characters suffer. I've heard custom moves can help mitigate these issues. Would anyone happen to know which characters in particular, and which customs they need?

Top Bottom