• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashWiki and Smash Boards Podcast

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@Kais: no idea, I changed a couple of things I saw, but I don't know if there's someone officially in charge of that. I suppose we should ask a moderator

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
So is the podcast going to go up on iTunes? It's free to add and makes downloading a heck of a lot easier for anyone who uses it. It just downloads automatically. Just a suggestion. Great show, and I love the wiki.
just open ITunes and go into the menu Advanced -> Subscribe to podcast, and just copy and paste this

http://smashbrawl.com/?feed=podcast

into the thing that opens.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Uncle Kenny said:
The Smash World Podcast is a wonderful new addition but in my opinion, it needs a place where it can stand out and members know where to go to find it. You could make a new icon for the top of the boards (Mushroom - Calender, Coin - Premium, yada, yada) and then link to it.

Also, though the mods work hard (in fact, I'm fairly certain they do) they are not super humans so you could organize a group of reporters that can scan the boards for information that is news worthy. Much in the same sense of a media class at school.

How you go about organizing these individuals would probably need to be discussed in the Staff Shack but I'm sure it will all work out.

Of course, this is but a suggestion so you don't have to use the idea.

Edit: I thought about this for a while and I wanted to expand on my idea a little. Hear me out because this is going to be long.

In order to organize the reporters or researchers, you can create a new room entitled "Research Center" (or whatever you guys think sounds better) and make it either read-only (like the Debate Hall) or completely secret (like the BRoom).

In this sense, you can organize researchers to discuss and find information on the Smash scene or the Forums themselves. They can also play a major role in the SmashWiki, Smash World Podcast, and Smash Blog.

Now instead of having random volunteers that you can't remember, you have an organized group all in one place and ready for immediate contact.

Filtering members to decide who should help and who shouldn't would be the tricky part as you wouldn't want somebody unreliable. You could choose them in the same sense as you choose the moderaters (not that I know how you guys choose mods but my guess is you pick members that are willing to devote a lot of their time and services to the community).

By creating this room and organizing the members, you can help keep the Blog and Wiki up to date and accurate as well as perserve the Podcast.

I thought this idea up in a short amount of time though so it may need a little tweaking here and there but I am almost certain it can be an effective plan of action in dealing with information gathering.

And as I have said before, this is simply an idea of mine so you need not take it but at least give it some consideration. If you are short on people that can help out, I would be more than willing to contribute my services.
I brought this up in the Official Questions and Suggestions Thread in the Pool Room. McFox agrees that it is a good idea but he doesn't know how practical it would be. In my opinion, it would be very useful. Think about it, instead of random volunteers you can't keep track of, now you have an organized team ready for research.

The research is not limited to the Wiki either. They can research on virtually anything and they can play a major role in the Wiki, Podcast, and Blog. I believe it shoud be Read-Only and not too steep in who it lets in. The addmissions criteria could be similiar to my enlistment criteria for the Collaboration Project. The new room would be added to the Smash World Network News Section.

What do you guys think?

KalimariDark

Smash Apprentice
I digg it ;)

Well, you just need a recognizable icon now. There's plenty of people on this board to get this podcast moving up the digg ladder, but you may need a small advertisement on Smashboards or something to get these people's attention.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
**** I love this thing. Its just oh so convinent when I need some info on something and I dont have to go searching.

Keep up the good work guys. :bigthumbu

F8X

Smash Ace
the podcast is ok, but it would be better if it was a video one.
I'm sorry, but why on earth would video make the show better. The podcast is fine now, just the way it is, and I can't see how video would improve upon it.

Tricky, considering we're 2000 miles apart.
Its actually possible, I mean you both could use Skype with screen capturing software"(I'm sure there are better ways, this is just a basic one). Heck even HD...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/11/skype-hack-enables-higher-resolution-video-calls/

But I can't see how it will improve the podcast/show. Not to mention bandwidth costs.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be a nice variety. Maybe you could have (if anybody is up to it) some short segments of things to learn, or vids of the newest competitions. I dunnow, I just would love it, becuase this is the only way for me to show my friends at school xD. *Gives Ipod a cookie*. Sadly, no video makes my a.d.d. firends irritated/impatient....Oh well. I subscribed and am about to digg!....if I can o.o.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I think at least for the moment there's enough video content being made available by the community at large that for us to create a video podcast with the same content would be redundant and probably unhelpful.

You could certainly just show your friends some of the videos from the hub or Video Discussion, right?

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should be like a morning variety show, with KK being the stereotypical angry bigot, and Scav, silly Scav, always screwing up! Boing! Tune in next week when we strap a ****** underneath a car!

F8X

Smash Ace
I recently found a better alternative to add the bookmarking sites to the blog.

http://www.addthis.com/

Its actually a pretty good tool. (If its on Time.com it can't be that bad :p)

Edit: Also KiKI(or who ever is in charge of the Blog), whats up with the feed on Google Reader).

And can we please pimp out Wordpress or make the move to Drupal?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
What problem are you having with Google Reader? I'm subscribed to it myself and I haven't seen any problems. Even the podcast loads in a Flash player.

We're also looking into how we can better integrate the blog with the forums, so we'll keep Drupal on the list of potential options.

F8X

Smash Ace
What problem are you having with Google Reader? I'm subscribed to it myself and I haven't seen any problems. Even the podcast loads in a Flash player.

We're also looking into how we can better integrate the blog with the forums, so we'll keep Drupal on the list of potential options.
The podcast feed is fine, its the blog feeds that's a screwy.

Example:

And for some reason now I'm having problems with the podcast feed on Google reader as well.

The feed works well on Firefox Live-bookmarks, so I don't understand whats going on myself.

Edit: You may also want to add a photo and reword the feed just a little.(For readers etc)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It was very cool too listen too it, congrats guys for making a very cool podcast. This is too cool i'm defiantly going to subscribe asap. haha

Sandy

Smash Champion
As Posted by Kirby King

The latest Smash Bros., community, and tournament news.

Today Scav and I discuss the Baby Bowser/Wind Waker Link/Ridley rumor debacle, the ramifications of Brawl's use of friend codes, and some interesting developments in the tournament community.

A couple notes: you may notice some strange breaks of silence between the chatter. This is because of the way we handled noise removal, so it may sound completely dead for a half second or so when neither one of us is talking. Don't worry about it.

Also, we neglected to mention that we're looking for a good permanent name for the podcast. Maybe it's as simple as "Smash Boards Podcast," or maybe we should change it to the Smash World SmashCast or something like that. Feel free to leave comments, send us an e-mail, or even give us a call (206-888-2767) with your ideas.

For now you can download the podcast as an MP3 to your computer or portable music player, listen using the player below, or subscribe to our podcast feed. We're still working on it, though, so we can't guarantee that the address won't change in the future--but we'll keep you posted

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Thanks for the second podcast guys! I just go into iTunes and it automatically downloads it and I put it on my iPod. Again, thanks alot!! I look towards to your third one!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
You could just try to download it and have it saved to your computer. It's probably your Internet connection more than the computer, anyway, and then you can listen to it whenever you want.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
It's just a Seattle-based number, so it shouldn't cost any more than a regular long distance call. If you're calling from the 206 area code, then I guess it's just a local call and you don't have to worry about it. In any event, you can always send us a message via e-mail instead and send an audio file as an attachment.

KidZero

Smash Cadet
IMO, the pros section isn't really necessary on the SmashWiki.

From the discussion on SmashWiki:
I really don't think this page is a good idea. First, what constitutes a "professional"? Whomever any editor thinks should be listed here? And once we've started listing "professionals", where do we stop? Do we list everyone who's ever played that character with any semblence of skill? Why is Pictish Freak listed here when said he quit over a year ago? Same with Masashi, who only plays for fun anymore (which sorta goes against the standard definition of "professional").

Does winning a local tournament make you a professional? What about placing 32nd at a large event like 0C2? Or do you just have to be well-known? Doesn't it seem like we're using different criteria for listing Isai and Ken as we are for listing G-reg, KevMoney, and Kawn? (not to pick on anyone personally).

My point is this: a wiki is supposed to be a collection of factual information. This page is meaningless and will draw unending flames without a definite idea of what it should consist of. --nealdt 20:17, August 1, 2006 (GMT)
I agree with the above statement.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
MLG determines what Pro players are.

I like the podcasts so far. I hope to contribute someday. I gotta finish my project first (see sig). XD

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Okay. So i've tried -really- hard in the last few days to add information to the pages that I know something about : marth, fox, and some advanced techniques. I've fixed thigns here and there. What i want to know is how much traffic we're getting, and more importantly, how many of our SWF members actually check this thing out or edit it.

It's a totally awesome idea, and i love to contribute, but it's not fun to be on the marth page, editing every day, by myself. Lol except the random guy who comes in and says marth's eveyrthing is broken, and that no one counters him.

PLEASE can we somehow advertise this more?

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Okay. So i've tried -really- hard in the last few days to add information to the pages that I know something about : marth, fox, and some advanced techniques. I've fixed thigns here and there. What i want to know is how much traffic we're getting, and more importantly, how many of our SWF members actually check this thing out or edit it.

It's a totally awesome idea, and i love to contribute, but it's not fun to be on the marth page, editing every day, by myself. Lol except the random guy who comes in and says marth's eveyrthing is broken, and that no one counters him.

PLEASE can we somehow advertise this more?
Every once in a while I'll go through random pages and either add stuff, fix up the formatting, or fix up the typography.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
That's great. I do the same type of things.

Ideally, however, there would be more knowledgeable SWF members who would go and edit something on the wiki, and maybe even discuss things. I'm not saying that the wiki is barren right now, but rather it could easily improve. My suggestion was to advertise the wiki a little more, and encourage people to contribute.

Alternatively, if a few people work very hard, the Wiki can be something of a 'treat' and more interest will flow then. It's like how few people like to make sandwiches, but everyone loves Subway. When the wiki is more filled out, people will be more drawn to it and more changes will be made to it.

A suggestion: would it work if we assign someone to each character thread, and have someone browse through the threads and add relevant information to the page? I mean, if people readily have whole discussion threads on a strategy/how-to kind of thing, why would they even decide to go to smashwiki? I'd be willing to do the Marth thread...

Top Bottom