• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashville: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Today is yet another simple stage that nonetheless must be covered. Smashville has been much loved ever since its introduction in Brawl and it still works the same today.

Previously Covered
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Smashville's layout is as simple as you can get without making everything static. There's a main platform over a void with a single platform overhead that moves left and right. Occasionally a balloon drifts by overhead that can be broken with any attack. If they are enabled, a piece of food will be attached.

Players 1 and 2 start near the edges, while Players 3 and 4 start near the middle. The Omega form floats over a void.

Smashville has no damaging stage hazards.

Smashville in all its glory. The platform begins on the right side of the stage and takes about 10 seconds to reach the other side, 20 seconds total for a full round trip.

Summary
  • Platform starts on right side, takes 20 seconds to make a full round trip.
  • Balloon drifts by occasionally, can be broken with any attack.
  • Balloon can hold a food item if they're enabled.

Last edited:
Might also be important to note that the balloons can gimp Ness's recovery, though I suppose that's covered by the second bullet point

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It can also gimp a Jigglypuff attempting to Rollout if she hits it.
And Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost. And Charizard's Fire Blitz.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Does the platform always go to one side first or is it randomized?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Does the platform always go to one side first or is it randomized?
It starts on the far right side every time unless RNG is messing with me. The picture in the OP is a few seconds in for the sake of being symmetrical and pretty.

EDIT: I also want to say that this doesn't automatically confer an advantage/disadvantage to P1 or P2 since the game can switch them around, i.e. sometimes P1 spawns on the left and other times on the right. This is the reason I group P1/P2 together when noting their start positions instead of specifying them individually. I'm not sure what the rules are for FFA and team spawns though.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
This seems like the only relevant place to necrobump for a question: Is the balloon's spawn timing consistent, random, or randomly chosen from a few set spawn timeframes?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This seems like the only relevant place to necrobump for a question: Is the balloon's spawn timing consistent, random, or randomly chosen from a few set spawn timeframes?
I have no actual idea. I assume it's random since I wasn't able to suss out any real pattern, but I'm not completely certain. (I remember T&C's balloon being oddly rare when I was testing, but I was looking back and forth from the game to my computer so much it's possible a few slipped by me.)

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
I will try and collect some data on the balloons timing this weekend.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Oh uh I guess this is worth pointing out, the balloons are only capable of holding Food items, and only if Items are not set to "None" and Food is set to "On."

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Oh uh I guess this is worth pointing out, the balloons are only capable of holding Food items, and only if Items are not set to "None" and Food is set to "On."
...I'm getting a weird feeling of deja vu where I think I should have known this but didn't, yet it sounds familiar.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
The balloon adds any move you hit it with to the staleness queue. I felt like that should have been mentioned.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
A bit late but did you find something? (I feel I can use that info at my advantage for Bayonetta.)
Well I found something.

A balloon appears about 31 seconds after the match starts.
It takes 21 seconds for a balloon to appear after one disappears from sight.
If you pop one, it should take 17 seconds to come back.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'll take this chance to point out that not every attack breaks the Balloon.
It seems to have some HP (wild guess, 1%), since most of Bayonetta's Bullet Arts won't break it with one hit.
:196:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Well uh.... I know I am a year late but uh... I have some data now?

Length of Balloon A animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)
Length of Balloon B animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)
Length of Balloon C animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)

Each Balloon is spawned by the stage's code so I don't know a lot of specifics past that.

Collisions (just the important stuff for now, I have the rest though):
Ledge 1 (Vertex 6): (-69.05128479, 0.099885)
Ledge 2 (Vertex 12): (70.24637, 0.099885)

Length of moving platform: 47.676

Blastzones:
X- | -220
X+ | 220
Y+ | 180
Y- | -115

Camera bounds:
X- | -163
X+ | 163
Y- | -50
Y+ | 130

ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone if you want more data like this hit me up and I'll get you the files and tools you need to get it.

Edit: forgot some stuff, here is a picture

and the length (in frames) of the platform animation is 1170 (19.5 seconds) which I believe is the animation down and back.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well uh.... I know I am a year late but uh... I have some data now?

Length of Balloon A animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)
Length of Balloon B animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)
Length of Balloon C animation: 1800 frames (30 seconds)

Each Balloon is spawned by the stage's code so I don't know a lot of specifics past that.

Collisions (just the important stuff for now, I have the rest though):
Ledge 1 (Vertex 6): (-69.05128479, 0.099885)
Ledge 2 (Vertex 12): (70.24637, 0.099885)

Length of moving platform: 47.676

Blastzones:
X- | -220
X+ | 220
Y+ | 180
Y- | -115

Camera bounds:
X- | -163
X+ | 163
Y- | -50
Y+ | 130

ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone if you want more data like this hit me up and I'll get you the files and tools you need to get it.

Edit: forgot some stuff, here is a picture

and the length (in frames) of the platform animation is 1170 (19.5 seconds) which I believe is the animation down and back.
Oh snap, this is awesome. Please, tell me more about these tools. Could it grab data from some of the more exotic stages like Mushroom Kingdom U or Kalos Pokemon League?

Last edited:
Top Bottom