• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashU and 3DS Last Smash Games?

How many Smash Brothers games do you think there will be total?

• 4 (This is the last one)

Votes: 6 10.3%

Votes: 9 15.5%

Votes: 6 10.3%

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • More Than 7

Votes: 35 60.3%

• Total voters

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Don't worry, I haven't dug up some interview or anything where Sakurai has said anything to that effect. And I recognize that there is a good chance that SSB4 isn't the last Smash.

But is there anything stopping it from being the last one? Mr. Iwata seems to think Sakurai is the only one for the job, and Sakurai only seems willing to create a new game if he can think of something to add to it.

This time it was the 3ds that was our saving grace. Being on a portable system is something Smash had never done before and it interested Sakurai. At first they weren't even going to make a WiiU version. In short, something else may well come along that causes him to believe that there may be more he can add to the series, but what if it doesn't? There will come a day where he will feel like he has nothing more to offer Smash brothers.

Honestly, if it weren't for portable Nintendo systems that day might would have already come. What do you think? Is this the last game in the series? How many more will there be? It's a console seller sure, but could Nintendo be able to replace Sakurai if he were unwilling to make another game? Would they?

It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if this was the last smash game. Honestly, I thought Brawl would be, and I was okay with that. I am glad and grateful we are getting more. I just can't think of any other series that is so important to Nintendo that's fate seems to rest mostly upon one guy. It is an interesting situation, and I'm curious what your thoughts on it are.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
As long as Nintendo lives, so will Smash.

It may be Sakurai's last time developing it though.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
As long as Nintendo keeps making hardware (which is going to be the case), there will be a new Smash Bros. to accompany it. It is a system seller for Nintendo.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
I remember panicking late 2007 when some placeholder box art for preorders in Gamestop had the slogan "The Brawl to End Them All" on the back of it. I hope that Sakurai's injury gets better than it is and he's able to make Smash into his old age just like Miyamoto. That's what I hope, anyway. What WILL he do? No one knows, and only time will tell.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Remember that Brawl was initially announced before Sakuri signed on to that game, so if Sakuri quits, we'll still have Smash. No matter what, every system will now likely have at least one Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda etc. title, because the reason Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans are these types of games.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Remember that Brawl was initially announced before Sakuri signed on to that game, so if Sakuri quits, we'll still have Smash. No matter what, every system will now likely have at least one Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda etc. title, because the reason Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans are these types of games.
Yes, but it sounds like without Sakurai it just would have been Melee with online capabilities.

RODO

Smash Ace
I think it will live on. Sakurai has paved the way for any other dev who might come to take his place. I think there will be one as long as there is a Nintendo console like Stompman said.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I think it will live on. Sakurai has paved the way for any other dev who might come to take his place. I think there will be one as long as there is a Nintendo console like Stompman said.
So your thought is that, when there was only two of them, there wasn't really enough to go off of without his charm contributing directly to the game, but with 4 or more there will be? Makes sense to me.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING new from NSMBU from NSMBW..... they just like to try and justify not making/making certain games. Smash 5, smash 6, I'd rebuy it every generation if even just for a few new characters.... i mean come on. Its like once every 6 years. Its not like these every year rereleases.... besides what you can add to smash is endless.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING new from NSMBU from NSMBW..... they just like to try and justify not making/making certain games. Smash 5, smash 6, I'd rebuy it every generation if even just for a few new characters.... i mean come on. Its like once every 6 years. Its not like these every year rereleases.... besides what you can add to smash is endless.
Yeah, I just don't think Sakurai would go for that (only adding a few characters and not much else I mean). Which is a good thing.

Granted who knows what Nintendo will do, once Sakurai is no longer willing. Honestly, I'd prefer them to leave that sort of enhancement as DLC. I mean if you're just going to add characters and stages why not?

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Well, Sakurai counts both Smashes as 4 and 5, so I woulf fix that in the poll.
Anyways, I think there is gonna be at least one Smash per Generation.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Smash is a big seller for Nintendo, it's not going anywhere. Sakurai might be but then again I recall people saying Brawl would definitely be his last one and that obviously isn't the case. Even if he did leave though, I think the series would do ok, Nintendo has a lot of talented people and they have a great foundation to build on at this point.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I definitely think Smash will live on with or without Sakurai. It's too much of a big hit for Nintendo to just leave to one person to direct it.

I'm sure it will be a sad day when it's announced that a new Smash Bros. won't be led by him though. But whoever the new guy is will have alot on his shoulders when that day arrives.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I definitely think Smash will live on with or without Sakurai. It's too much of a big hit for Nintendo to just leave to one person to direct it.

I'm sure it will be a sad day when it's announced that a new Smash Bros. won't be led by him though. But whoever the new guy is will have alot on his shoulders when that day arrives.
And that weight on his/her shoulders will be Ridley, because he/she will finally put him in.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Well, Sakurai counts both Smashes as 4 and 5, so I woulf fix that in the poll.
Anyways, I think there is gonna be at least one Smash per Generation.
Eh, I don't like Sakurai's numbering system so I use my own. :bee:

I Mean if they are pretty much the same game, why do they get different numbers?

D

Deleted member

There's no way to tell how long this will last, but I have a gut feeling this is the last one.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I can't possibly vote on this because there is no way to know; I highly doubt these will be the last, though. Remember how everyone thought Brawl was the last Smash game? Plus, even if for some reason Sakurai stopped working on them, (which I don't see him doing, there's going to be a huge gap between these Smash games and the next one(s),) Nintendo has no reason to end the series, so they'll likely get someone else to supervise the series in the long run, even if it takes a while to find someone. And on the issue of Sakurai finding inspiration - the latest Nintendo consoles always have something inspirational for Nintendo first party developers, and Sakurai is a clever man; I doubt he's going to run out of ideas anytime soon.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
2020 Nintendo Direct for E3 for the Wii Us and 4DS:

Iwata: "We are dissapointed to say that Sakurai-san will no ronger be working on Super Smash Brothers due to his injury. However, we are preased to announce that Kamiya Hideki-san will be the lead game director for Super Smash Bros. Clash."

Your reaction?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Probably not the last Smash Bros, but likely the last with Sakurai on board given his injury. Gotta enjoy this one, I have a feeling the game won't be the same without him.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I seriously doubt it. Many of us worried about the same thing with Brawl and even Melee because of the timespan between games but I feel that the franchise is too important to Nintendo to simply let it go. Not only does it sell extremely well but a lot of Japanese developers consider it an extremely high honor to be included in the development of the games.These are games where Nintendo pools together more than 30 years worth of resources to create as a celebration of the company itself. We might see a bigger gap between this game and the next but I don't see Smash Bros coming to an end anytime soon. To be honest with you, I think franchises like the Legend of Zelda are more likely to go down first than Smash Bros.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Much like how Brawl was the last one, too? Yeah, sure.

It may be the last one developed by Sakurai, but I'm sure there are more developers capable of developing Smash Bros. games. Sakurai could even act as a consultant, supervisor or something like that.

We can't say anything for sure. I think Sakurai likes what he's doing, given how passionate he is when developing a Smash title. I can say for sure that, if he didn't like working on SSB, he wouldn't have started developing this game.
He even admitted that he thought of new ideas for Smash during the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising and I think it means something regarding this game and the future of the series.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I can't see the series ending.... yet.... (Then again, I couldn't see the Professor Layton series ending until after a sequel trilogy came around but apparently it did as soon as the end of the prequels...)

Sakurai likes to develop his games as if they were the last. But he definitely enjoys what he is doing and he will likely come back to develop the next one when the next console comes around.

And even if Sakurai stops, somebody else might take over. But to be honest. I'd kinda rather Sakurai continued to direct the games. Sure he made a few silly mistakes in the past but I still enjoy his work.

Dash000

Smash Rookie
Zelda barely sells in Japan anymore and Skyward Sword was the worst selling 3D Zelda yet. It's almost a miracle that the series hasn't been put on a extended hiatus like Metroid was.
Even if they don't sell too well, the people that buy them would usually buy consoles just for them, so they are still worth it for Nintendo.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I do recall Sakurai said in an interview back in Brawl days (I think an Iwata Asks IIRC) that he treats each Super Smash Bros. as if it's going to be the last. But I have severe doubts he'll quit after these two games. If he loves making Smash games than I can see him continuing for a good time. Even if Sakurai grows tired of making them, there is no law saying that he himself has to make the game, just give the control to someone else.

And of course some fan games can make amazing Super Smash Bros. "sequels" too (I'm looking at you, Super Smash Flash 2 & Super Smash Bros. Crusade).

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
There will come a point where there's nothing that can be added. Sakurai has already said that we've reached the point where they can't just add more characters and call it a day. There has to be something worth buring the game for. Not only that, but Nintendo's reluctance to add new IPs means they're eventually going to run out of characters to add anyway. Yeah, having a hundred Smash Bros. characters would be fun, but is it really worth buying ten more installments for a bunch of characters? Not only that, but as Sakurai said, when they add a new character, their work multiplies. There's a large difference between making fifteen characters and making fifty characters. It'd reach the point where they'd be better off going with DLC, since that would mean they don't have to make a whole new game to go with it.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
There will come a point where there's nothing that can be added. Sakurai has already said that we've reached the point where they can't just add more characters and call it a day. There has to be something worth buring the game for. Not only that, but Nintendo's reluctance to add new IPs means they're eventually going to run out of characters to add anyway. Yeah, having a hundred Smash Bros. characters would be fun, but is it really worth buying ten more installments for a bunch of characters? Not only that, but as Sakurai said, when they add a new character, their work multiplies. There's a large difference between making fifteen characters and making fifty characters. It'd reach the point where they'd be better off going with DLC, since that would mean they don't have to make a whole new game to go with it.
There are plenty of rational reasonable counter arguments to what you just said, but I'm not going to give you one of those. Talking to me is like playing a game of Russian Roulette and you just won... er.... lost.

Here is a completely unreasonable solution to the "can only put some many characters in a game problem." Make tiers. Have tiers be part of the ruleset and only let characters be selected within a tier. Then characters only have to be balanced within a tier. Scale up the difficulty of things like classic mode and event matches depending on what tier there character is.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
There are plenty of rational reasonable counter arguments to what you just said, but I'm not going to give you one of those. Talking to me is like playing a game of Russian Roulette and you just won... er.... lost.

Here is a completely unreasonable solution to the "can only put some many characters in a game problem." Make tiers. Have tiers be part of the ruleset and only let characters be selected within a tier. Then characters only have to be balanced within a tier. Scale up the difficulty of things like classic mode and event matches depending on what tier there character is.
wut

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So, Which version is 4 and which one is 5? Cause obviously 5 is gonna be better, right guys? lol
Sakurai said there's a chance the Smash games might not launch on the same day and he won't disclose which version is further along in progress, so no one knows which one is 4 and 5 yet.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
We can't say what will happen now. It would make more sense to wait until SSB4 is out.

ForsakenProto

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said there's a chance the Smash games might not launch on the same day and he won't disclose which version is further along in progress, so no one knows which one is 4 and 5 yet.
So what if the 3DS one is 4 and the Wii U one is 5? But the 3DS one gets delayed behind the Wii U one? does Wii U become 4? Or do we live in some strange world where a 5th game in the series comes before the 4th (release dtae wise, not like chronological events of a game wise) Gahh, my head hurts

Chicago BearHawks

Smash Rookie
If you know ANYTHNG about Nintendo, you should know that their entire business is based around two things:

1) Make a new port of each game, with each new generation.
2) Milk the bajeezus out of a franchise by making 8 sequels a year for it.

So yea, I think there's gonna be a lot more Smash games, lol.

Top Bottom