• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds V: The Final Frontier 5 ** Bi-Weeklies

What side event would you like to see?

• Standard Doubles

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Random Partner Doubles

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Low-Tier Singles

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Fixed-Secondary Singles

• Rat's Amazing FFA Extravaganza

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No Johns Singles (ft. Corneria, Green Greens, MK2 and Pokefloats)

• Cactus Tournament

• Other (post in thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ORLY

Smash Master
cookie if you guys come up i'll play as many falcon dittos as you want

assuming it doesn't hold up bracket ;D

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Ok, I'm actually coming into town for this one. :p

Last time fell through, but my wife and I are making it a weekend in Chi-town.

KishPrime

BRoomer
whoa i get to meet one of the legends

EDIT: Oh wait somehow I got the impression that you were the John from "No Johns" because of something I heard somewhere.

Well I'm sure you're still legendary.

I'll try not to let anyone be too disappointed with how bad I've gotten.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty new to competitive Smash and am probably gonna get torn apart by everyone else. Is this something I should sit out until I get better?

ORLY

Smash Master
you get better by playing people who provide helpful tips

nothing is less constructive than kels saying "oh my god sheik is so broken" every time

body massage and i are looking mad forward to this

weeks take too long

let's have bi-dailies from now on

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion

nothing is less constructive than kels saying "oh my god sheik is so broken" every time

weeks take too long

Kels88

Smash Lord

weeks take too long

you don't get better by playing people who provide helpful tips. You get better by analyzing the faults in your game and improving on them. Sure you can watch other people and learn a few things. But in the end it comes down to how well you can control your character in the heat of battle. no amount of tips can help you with that. You just need solid practice.

darkatma

Smash Hero
you don't get better by playing people who provide helpful tips. You get better by analyzing the faults in your game and improving on them. Sure you can watch other people and learn a few things. But in the end it comes down to how well you can control your character in the heat of battle. no amount of tips can help you with that. You just need solid practice.
this is 100% true
how well you can play under the pressure of a tourney situation when your shield is under ridiculous pressure all comes from experience, mindset, and plain grit
and improving isn't about what other people tell you, it's what what you tell yourself.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
When you get to a certain skill level, being able to analyze your own game is definitely more beneficial. However, to say you don't improve with the advice of others is kind of meh. imo your game is like a essay. You can revise it yourself, but more often than not others will be able to see faults in it that you haven't recognized cause you're so used to looking at it. But ya, the majority of people never improve because they just john on themselves, are results oriented, etc. etc.

ORLY

Smash Master
There are many facets to learning this game

The fastest and most limited way to improve is to play like a fgt

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
playing defensive or at learning how to hold your ground is probably the single most important thing to learn. Too many people just run around or attack because they think they are supposed to or because its worked for them before. I'm even guilty of this quite a bit, which is awful.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'm pretty new to competitive Smash and am probably gonna get torn apart by everyone else. Is this something I should sit out until I get better?
What everyone is clearly saying is GET OUT HERE AND PLAY SOME SMASH.

Sometimes it's fun getting owned, and you do learn a ton. Almost every tournament I went to I felt some measure of improvement coming out.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Kels is right on the money. You can get all the tips in the world, but if you can't consistently make those split-second decisions without choking when a tournament game is on the line, no one's advice is going to help that.

I think aggressive play beats defensive play and no, not just with spacies
This is completely match-up dependent, IMO.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Agro/defensive doesn't matter as much as not playing your opponents' game/not their pace. If you control the match, you can play however the hell you want.

kd-

Smash Lord
If you control the match but play/do something dumb, it has varying degrees of how much control you can potentially lose. Getting your opponents to play your game and/or maintaining control should be a focal point of the game.

The old Street Fighter proverb was, "If you're losing to a turtler, your offense just wasn't good enough to beat their defense." You can be aggro or defensive, you just have to beat your opponent's counterparts.

darkatma

Smash Hero
When you get to a certain skill level, being able to analyze your own game is definitely more beneficial. However, to say you don't improve with the advice of others is kind of meh. imo your game is like a essay. You can revise it yourself, but more often than not others will be able to see faults in it that you haven't recognized cause you're so used to looking at it. But ya, the majority of people never improve because they just john on themselves, are results oriented, etc. etc.
Are you in socal for the summer?
I haven't played you yet since you got good. I'd love some matches against good falco =]

Also, I'd agree that aggressive play beats defensive play most of the time, but I'd say that's because people's defense isn't as good as people's offense. The exception is armada of course, he uses so many little spacing tricks that all look alike to most people, resulting in a ridiculous defensive game.

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
On another note, looks like I'll be making it to this one and I'll finally be able to enter since I've been working =)
I'm going all falco too aww yeah

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Are you in socal for the summer?
I haven't played you yet since you got good.
Yeah I'm in socal now. I don't remember the last time I played you, or if I've played you at all. lol

I'd love some matches against good falco =]
I'm down.

Also, I'd agree that aggressive play beats defensive play most of the time, but I'd say that's because people's defense isn't as good as people's offense.
yup.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'ma post a notice here: Smash O'clock at my house tomorrow. Starting ~6pm going until whenever people leave. People are welcome earlier than that, just call/text/PM me so i know. The last few times people have shown up after 6 so i'm adjusting.

There will be a live stream and at least 3 setups. Comfy couches and good music. And there is a fridge of drinks that I'm willing to part with too.

Rat

Smash Lord
There's gonna be P:M at this too!

---Schedule---
12pm: double sign-ups starts
1pm: double sign-ups closes
-Brackets starts shortly after ~1:30ish

3pm: singles signup starts
4pm: singles signup closes
-Bracket starts shortly thereafter.

I in no way feel like asking everyone if they want to enter. That was a hassle last time. If you don't come and sign-up when I announce it, you won't get to enter.

Also if you feel crappy about how you did in doubles/melee, or maybe you haven't played P:M before, too bad - it's not my job to cheer you up. Man up and play in the tournament.

---Entry Fee---
Teams: $2 per person ($4 per team)
Singles: $3 per person

I will be bringing many singles for change but I am not rich and full of resources. Atms have this problem of distributing 20s - so please bring one/five dollar bills.

--Pay-out--
Doubles:
1st: 70%
2nd: 30%

Singles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - $1 pity prize

---Format---
Double Elimination Bracket.
All matches are best out of 3. Except for Finals which are best of 5.

Teams will be seeded randomly.
Singles will be seeded by you being a Pro and getting top 3-4 in the last few P:M tournaments.

---Project Melee Ruleset---

--1st Match is random from--
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Smashville
- Battlefield

--Counter Pick Stages --
Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania, Green Hill Zone, Metal Cavern, Rumble Falls, Wario Ware, Fountain of Dreams, SSE: Jungle, Skyworld, Skyloft, Pokemon Stadium, Halberd, Delfino Plaza

No Stage bans. Deal with it.

The CP list is big so here's the general rule of thumb:
Is the stage in question totally lame or somewhat lame?
If yes, it's probably banned.

Regular Counter picking rules - Loser picks the stage, winner can change character, loser can change character.

Buffer is off
Pause is off
Items off

Cool that's pretty much it. If you questions feel free to ask about it.

kd-

Smash Lord
I hope Project:M's Pokemon Stadium 2 means Pokemon Stadium with no stage transformations, otherwise Pokemon Stadium 2 is pretty lame =/

Top Bottom