• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHens Horse Party's 19XXperimental EmuTournament (Athens, GA)

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I'm having a crazy experiment here in Athens. I'm testing out the idea of running an in person tournament on emulator using the 19XXTE romhack made by @Jorgasms in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/19xxte-ssb64-rom-hack.402248/

Since nothing like this has been done before that I know of, at least not online anyway, I'm interested to know what y'all's input would be with regard to rule set, or logistical issues associated with emulation, setups and controllers etc. I know a lot of you have your reasons for preferring the Dream Land only ruleset but that's why I'm considering this an experiment. I'd like to at least explore the alternatives and see what develops as people are actually playing in a real tournament setting.

Here's the rules as I've tentatively come up with them so far. You'll notice there's a much more stringent modified version of DSR in effect: the stage that gets struck to is always legal to go back to, but you can't counterpick any other stage that you've already won on in a set, regardless if it was on the neutral list or it was your opponent's pick. This will hopefully ensure that if there turns out to be some really exploitable factor on some stage that comes to light you can only get one win out of it per set, and also just encourage people to try more stages to see how they develop.

SETTINGS
-Items off
-Team attack on
-5 stock
-8:00 timer
-Best of 3 sets until Semis. Semis and Finals will all be Best of 5 sets. (Subject to change depending on attendance)
-Double Elimination
-Singles and Doubles events will both be held

ADDITIONAL RULES:
http://www.meleeitonme.com/img/Apex_2015_rulebook.pdf
We'll refer to the Apex 2015 ruleset except where explicitly changed below. This means
-Either player can invoke a neutral start
-Either player can invoke a double blind character pick for their first match
-No excessive stalling e.g. infinite throw trap or wall/rapid jab on Hyrule

STAGES:
This is where the "experimental" part comes into the rule set.
NEUTRAL STAGES
-Dream Land
-Yoshi's Story (no clouds)
-Battlefield
-Metal Cavern
-Final Destination
COUNTERPICK STAGES
-Peach's Castle
-Kongo Jungle
-Hyrule (Doubles Only)
-If both players agree they may invoke a "gentleman's agreement" to play on Saffron

STAGE PICKING:
-Before the 1st game, players use rock-paper-scissors to determine who strikes the first stage from the Neutral Stages list. Then the other player strikes two more stages, then the first player strikes one more. The remaining stage is where the 1st game takes place.
-The player who loses the first game (and each subsequent game) can pick any other stage from the neutral stages and counterpick stages list. Then the winner of the previous stage picks their character. Then the loser of the previous game picks their character.
-Strong DSR: A player or team may not pick a stage that they've already won on in the set, with the only exception being the stage struck to in game 1.
-Bans: In BO3 sets, each player may ban one stage from being picked by their opponent except for the neutral stage struck to in game 1.

PORT SELECTION
-Players may invoke a rock-paper-scissors game to determine the order of port selection but either player can invoke that the neutral start rules for any stage
-When playing on Final Destination players MUST use ports with different spawn points, i.e. one player must use either ports 1 or 3 and the other player must use 2 or 4. In doubles, one team must use both ports 1 and 3 and the other team must use ports 2 and 4.

SETUPS
Because this tournament will be utilizing emulator software to run matches, their may be an occasional lag spike during a match. We will do everything we can to ensure we have suitable set ups that are optimized for running the game but just know that this is a possibility. It almost certainly won't affect anything or be an issue but just be forewarned of the possibility.

CONTROLLERS
All USB controllers or controller adapters and keyboard set ups will be legal for use as long as they don't enable the use of turbo or macro functions. We will provide at least one 64 mayflash adapter and an Xbox controller or two, but I encourage you to figure out a way to get a controller set up that you're comfortable with before entering.

STREAMING
I'm hoping we can probably get a stream set up to broadcast most of the bracket matches as long as it doesn't interfere with the lagless running of the game.

PRIZES
There will be a $5 USD entry fee for each event (Singles and Doubles) that will entirely go to the prize pool for each event. Unfortunately I can't offer any pot bonuses right now but maybe we can get Barberitos to give the winner a burrito if we shout them out on stream.

The split will be 70% / 30% for 1st and 2nd if there are under 20 entrants, and 60% / 30% / 10% for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if there are more than 20 entrants in each event.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
This sounds neat man, I'm in. I don't have any ideas to help it run smoother, hopefully someone with some experience in running tournaments and some experience with the software chime in and help

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I definitely hope you come, Shafer. We still haven't played any seriouslies with each other. So far the only people from this board who are more or less confirmed are you, me and @Nine-Tailed Assassin ... have you talked to @caneut lately? i don't think he's RSVPed or anything.

I really want some out of state players to come, so even though I really can't afford to do this I'm gonna pledge to put $5 into a singles pot bonus for each player that comes from out of state (Up to 50 dollars). @Sedda @Narwhal @ syPHILys syPHILys @MrMarbles please make sure everybody in the south east gets tagged. @Zeds @BananaBolts @stylisland

Last edited:

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure came will come since its liKe 5 minutes from him. And on top of your pledge, if any out of state player places in the top 3 I'll add $20 to their winnings. But if cane and NTA come (and maybe gav) then top 3 will be tough to crack

syPHILys

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, I can't go, I just had a whole crapload of work thrown on me, and I need to do somework over the weekend so 10+ hours of driving is out of the question.... sry :( I definitely need to get back down to GA to get some good smashing going though

The Star King

Smash Hero
in a 64 tourney that 30 dollars is likely going to double your money so get on in folks
so has this devolved into your general use Smashboards account, hippie?

had more charm when the account had a specific purpose I think.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I can't go, I just had a whole crapload of work thrown on me, and I need to do somework over the weekend so 10+ hours of driving is out of the question.... sry :( I definitely need to get back down to GA to get some good smashing going though
I'l all good. I'm definitely gonna host a pure console tourney later this summer, probably at a bar downtown.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Sooo we may either just do doubles on console unless somebody can help me get a set up that can potentially run 4 USB adapters at once. My laptop runs the pj64 just fine in 1v1 (especially not on netplay) but I only have 3 USB ports. If anybody can help provide a set up that we can run emulator doubles on I'll pay your entry for both events.

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Sooo we may either just do doubles on console unless somebody can help me get a set up that can potentially run 4 USB adapters at once. My laptop runs the pj64 just fine in 1v1 (especially not on netplay) but I only have 3 USB ports. If anybody can help provide a set up that we can run emulator doubles on I'll pay your entry for both events.
If you could find people that have the mayflash one that has two controller ports that they could bring

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
If you could find people that have the mayflash one that has two controller ports that they could bring
I have one of those. So we could potentially do it if there were at least two people that used 64 or a hori controller but a lot of the people that have entered thus far are gonna be playing on gamecube with a raphnet or else just xbox or ps3 controllers.

Top Bottom