• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCon Presents: TASOL 2012 [Road to WHobo] ($200 pot bonuses)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So based on the OP, who are the top 4 seeds based off of points (inb4 Lee and Jnig)?
I'll be seeding based on our current LA PR for this Smashcon. However for next smashcon, I will go off based on the points system that Smashcon runs by. So just because you could be in the top four for the LA PR, that won't mean you will be in the top four seeding at Winter Smashcon unless you've earned the points to be in the top four. You earn those points by attending Smashcon sponsored tournaments and earning top placing.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I'm surprised by Cam's predictions but I agree with JNig (especially that he can beat razer and sync will run though LA).

But uhh watch out for MAR!

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The housing list is already full. Erick can't fit more than 10 people in his house. So Gunner, if you give BSP a ride to Smashcon, you can't bring him to Slidell with you. If you plan on loading up your car and showing up with people at Erick's house who aren't on the list, I'm going to remove you from the housing list and you won't be granted housing. This also goes for anyone else who was planning on doing the same.

BSP

Smash Legend
Sooooo

Anyone else planning to go to Slidell and leave on the same day coming from the west?

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone in our state hate doubles:(. This is supposed to be a serious LA tourny, doubles should take priority over side fighters people only played for a month like skullgirls >.> and with MK9 /;. Should be singles>doubles>anything else. I mean it is called "smash-con" alott of smashers are commin from far away. Doubles is a legit competitive experience. I know I'm late to saying this I just saw there's no dubs present, but all Road to Whobo tournies need doubles. Anyway I'm done ragin about that. You guys are doing a great job for the La community. It's really cool of you to take the time to put this together. Thank you in advance

Edit:Ill go even further having doubles is just as or more important then banning mk. At whobo you can win 100s of dollars from doubles. WHY IN THE WORLD IS THERE MKW BUT NO BRAWL DOUBLES?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!. How about we ditch that and play somethin that actually matters.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I COMPLETELY agree. Singles -> doubles and then by a wide margin everything else.

Edit: and if we can add ****ing fire emblem (which don't get me wrong I'm psyched for) this late we can CERTAINLY get doubles going.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I barely did any research. I looked at your PR and at your latest tournament's results. I didn't really put a lot of time into it. My predictions for this shouldn't count for crackers because I don't know you guys at all. I just wanted to be part of the conversation >.>

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
Well that PR is slightly misleading since we just didn't get results for the biggest tournament we've had in like a year (where I got third).
But I'm going to prove your top 5 correct...

Okuser

Smash Ace
yes wtf, there's enormous interest in doubles (garuntee more will enter doubles then any other side event), why in the world wouldn't that happen?

also, I'm going to prove everyone's top 5 incorrect. EVEN MY OWN.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
N64

Im coming in from laff. Whos playing in the 64 tournament?
XKCP won't be there nor will cavemanerick be competing so a lot of amateurs but it usually has a good 30 to 40 players regardless. KKT might make a show but no one has kept up with him. There might be a larger turnout since the usual deterrents aren't confirmed.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Wait Rc and Brin are legal!? Why? They're both banned everywhere else and broken and dumb and have hardly anything to do with skill. I need to actually read these tourny pages sooner jeeeeez. Salt!!!!!!!!

BSP

Smash Legend
People like you referring to players that don't want the CPs like RC and Brinstar for whatever reason (broken, random, etc.)

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Oh. Well you mean people that actually think skill is important and how after losing game 1 you should still have a legit chance? With this ruleset whats to stop gaw/wario/kirby from takin marth or diddy or falco to rc or brin for a pretty much free win

BSP

Smash Legend
Well, some people think that being able to play on the janky stages is part of the "skill" necessary to be successful at this game.

For the characters you mentioned, that would be considered a character weakness for Diddy and Falco. And some people would say you're actually helping the likes of Falco and Diddy by taking their worst stages away for bad reasons.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
The people that still think that way are few in numbers. Mostly because of Japan. They play on only 3 stages pretty much and have become better because of relying on skill instead of counter picks. Its not a character flaw because diddy cant really abuse the extended hit boxes on brinstar. Its not a character flaw because falcos recovery sucks on moving stages. Its a stage flaw which would be balanced out if everyone was on equal playing fields. I think any stage that gives specific characters ridiculous advantages over other characters should'nt be legal. It's one think for characters to be able to get a quicker kill on stages like halbred or delphino. It's another thing entirely for one character to be able to fly on hazard or moving stages while the other just struggles not to sd.

BSP

Smash Legend
I agree, the conservative mindset definitely has the edge at this point.

It's all opinions :\

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Please take conversations like this outside this thread. This thread is for hype not discussions to kill it. I've said it a million times before. If you don't like the rules for the tournament, simply don't come. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to go.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
While I'm somewhat against RC and Brinstar, (RC being one of my best stages and Brinstar being the ABSOLUTE worst) telling MAR not to discuss that in the dead *** tournament thread is pretty dumb. He isn't killing hype, he's trying to bring up a very relevant point he feels is valid.
We don't normally turn those stages on, or ban MK in LA, so it's pretty understandable that he'd want to bring it up.
Anyway, use your ban well, MAR.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
While I'm somewhat against RC and Brinstar, (RC being one of my best stages and Brinstar being the ABSOLUTE worst) telling MAR not to discuss that in the dead *** tournament thread is pretty dumb. He isn't killing hype, he's trying to bring up a very relevant point he feels is valid.
We don't normally turn those stages on, or ban MK in LA, so it's pretty understandable that he'd want to bring it up.
Anyway, use your ban well, MAR.

And I feel my point is just as valid as his. We've already made the rules for this tournament. We are not changing them. There is no use in complaining about it anymore. As a TO, I don't care what "we normally do in LA". I hold my right to make the rules, just as you have the right to not come. If you have complaints, take it up with me personally, don't make a scene on this thread, dead or not, because of one or two little things that you personally don't like.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Oh. Well you mean people that actually think skill is important and how after losing game 1 you should still have a legit chance? With this ruleset whats to stop gaw/wario/kirby from takin marth or diddy or falco to rc or brin for a pretty much free win
As a Falco player, I'll tell you that my Brinstar ban and the fact that I can beat them on RCruise is what stops them.

Tell me, do you know either the time or the visual cue for when the boat ends? Do you know how many rotations that RCruise runs through in eight minutes? Do you know what happens when you grab someone and the platform you are on disappears?

Do you know the timer on Brinstar lava flows? Do you know how much of Brinstar is actually random? Do you know when the floor over the Brinstar pods is solid and when it is not? Do you know when the Brinstar membrane reforms or how much it takes to break it?

Now, tell me. Do you know how to glide toss? How to ZCatch and how to ZDrop. Do you know the frame that Diddy's Fair comes out on or how to cancel peanut popgun?

Skill is simply the ability to take knowledge and apply it. How in the world it take more skill to beat G&W on FD/Smashville with Diddy than it takes to beat Diddy on RCruise/Brinstar?

Hell man, Diddy's not even bad on RCruise. He's got a bigger issue on Frigate.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I do agree with diddy not being bad on RC. His recovery and defense options work out pretty well.

But yeah. Calling it a "scene" in this thread is pushing it.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
As a Falco player, I'll tell you that my Brinstar ban and the fact that I can beat them on RCruise is what stops them.

Tell me, do you know either the time or the visual cue for when the boat ends? Do you know how many rotations that RCruise runs through in eight minutes? Do you know what happens when you grab someone and the platform you are on disappears?

Do you know the timer on Brinstar lava flows? Do you know how much of Brinstar is actually random? Do you know when the floor over the Brinstar pods is solid and when it is not? Do you know when the Brinstar membrane reforms or how much it takes to break it?

Now, tell me. Do you know how to glide toss? How to ZCatch and how to ZDrop. Do you know the frame that Diddy's Fair comes out on or how to cancel peanut popgun?

Skill is simply the ability to take knowledge and apply it. How in the world it take more skill to beat G&W on FD/Smashville with Diddy than it takes to beat Diddy on RCruise/Brinstar?

Hell man, Diddy's not even bad on RCruise. He's got a bigger issue on Frigate.
Actually I know my character very well. And I know rc/brin like the back of my hand. I can and will win on both of those stages if I have to. What I'm saying is no character should ever be at a extremely unfair advantage because of a stage or counter pick. Its not about knowin the stage its about no matter how much work I put in no matter how many places I know how and when to combo/abuse on a stage. gaw or kirby will always have the advantage, and a big one at that. What kinda question is "How in the world it take more skill to beat G&W on FD/Smashville with Diddy than it takes to beat Diddy on RCruise/Brinstar?" On sv/fd I would say diddy has a character advantage over both of them which they both can overcome by simply learning bananas better and it would just turn into a skill match. On rc/brin on the other hand they will always have a huge advantage and no matter how much work I put into it they will have it easier then me. When it turns into havin to know a stage is more important then knowin your character theres a clear problem here.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Actually I know my character very well. And I know rc/brin like the back of my hand. I can and will win on both of those stages if I have to. What I'm saying is no character should ever be at a extremely unfair advantage because of a stage or counter pick. Its not about knowin the stage its about no matter how much work I put in no matter how many places I know how and when to combo/abuse on a stage. gaw or kirby will always have the advantage, and a big one at that. What kinda question is "How in the world it take more skill to beat G&W on FD/Smashville with Diddy than it takes to beat Diddy on RCruise/Brinstar?" On sv/fd I would say diddy has a character advantage over both of them which they both can overcome by simply learning bananas better and it would just turn into a skill match. On rc/brin on the other hand they will always have a huge advantage and no matter how much work I put into it they will have it easier then me. When it turns into havin to know a stage is more important then knowin your character theres a clear problem here.
Not at all, friend. Diddy has a stage advantage over G&W because the lanes of approach that he wants to use simply do not exist, ESPECIALLY on FD. G&W cannot be safe against Diddy holding a banana and shooting a gun at you or even holding a banana and shielding. Every option he has is punishable there. RCruise and Brinstar force him to move. Same with Frigate, Delphino, Halberd, PS1, PS2, and Halberd. Castle Siege, Lylat, Battlefield, and YI all give him a lane above Diddy that he can utilize to legitimize his approach.

So what's the difference? Your character can't handle two stages, then it's fairly obvious that your character has a clear problem. FD illegitimizes more match-ups than RCruise, so why don't you push to ban it?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
My God, I missed this post.

Its not a character flaw because diddy cant really abuse the extended hit boxes on brinstar. Its not a character flaw because falcos recovery sucks on moving stages. Its a stage flaw which would be balanced out if everyone was on equal playing fields.
I laugh that you think Brinstar is polarizing because of extended hit boxes. If you realize what extended hit boxes do, you can shield longer or not airdodge/spotdodge/roll into danger zones. Take precautions against it and it's not a big deal.

I laugh a LOT at Falco's recovery being worse on moving stages. RCruise makes it easier to recover as Falco because there's more places to go and you don't have to play the 50-50.

I think any stage that gives specific characters ridiculous advantages over other characters should'nt be legal. It's one think for characters to be able to get a quicker kill on stages like halbred or delphino. It's another thing entirely for one character to be able to fly on hazard or moving stages while the other just struggles not to sd.
You realize that there are only about two characters that you can even make a case for "struggling not to SD" on RCruise. You'll never sell me on that. Even Olimar and Ivysaur can navigate the stage fine, they simply have trouble escaping gimps. Surprise, surprise, they do that everywhere. I can reverse that and say that it's not fair for one character to be able to sit in one place while other characters are "fated to never successfully approach."

You want to take your logic here and run with it?

Ban FD! Ban FD! Ban FD!

Top Bottom