• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Friend Finder Desktop App

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
inb4sorryguysiamovingthereleasedatevenmore
More like "In b4 I'm actually developing this, and I don't see you doing much for it, plus I'm making it for free, so I wouldn't complain bud."

Sorry about lateness on this guys. My laptop, which had most of the files, is currently being a little piece of crap. I just got the thing running again, but now I need to compile and write up some install instructions for the technically challenged real quick.

It'll be out tomorrow, promise. No more delays. Trust me, right now even I'm pissed about not having it out on time. Still, it is free, and I've been working on my own time for this, so anyone who wants to try and complain about it can try and justify it all they want - I still don't see them trying to make this. :p

So, tomorrow, no more delay, final answer Regis. Hope you guys like it.

- omg1337core

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Alright kids, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: The program is officially done.
Bad news: Adobe AIR is being really stupid.

The long story: The program runs fine in debug mode. Unfortunately, once compiled, it doesn't want to run. It says that it requires a version of AIR that's no longer supported - even though it was compiled under AIR v1.0, the current and only available version now. So, I'm currently talking to some folk on the Adobe forums and trying to figure this out. I'm sorry for more delays, guys, but other apps I've made in AIR have never given me this problem - so I didn't see it coming. Call it bad planning on my part, but I swear I'll get this out at some point. Just keep an eye on the thread I guess. I'll keep everyone updated.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'm willing to wait if it eventually will mean I don't ahve to wait 2 min to find out if the people on my friend list are on only to find out the answer is no and having wasted that time.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'm willing to wait if it eventually will mean I don't ahve to wait 2 min to find out if the people on my friend list are on only to find out the answer is no and having wasted that time.

Smash Journeyman
Can you make it that you can see the rules of a match you want to play with? Like what items are on and off and whether they're set on high, mid, or low, what stages you want to play on, what the damage ratio is, whether it's a timed or stock match, and whether friendly fire is on or off.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
You have to understand, this application is solely meant for opening the SWF Friend Finder straight from the desktop. He is not making another Friend Finder, so he cannot add features. That's up to the admins.

Boon :o

Smash Journeyman
Can you make it that you can see the rules of a match you want to play with? Like what items are on and off and whether they're set on high, mid, or low, what stages you want to play on, what the damage ratio is, whether it's a timed or stock match, and whether friendly fire is on or off.
Those are very helpful things. Another handy thing would be a "start a chat' button next to the people's names so if you aren't able to have most of the stuff quoted above, you can just talk it out.
Plus, timestamps of when challenges are recieved/accepted would be helpful.

But all those ideas would probably be for the later version of the application.

I hope you have good luck with the application :D

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
I'm still here, still trying to figure out the problem.

You have to understand, this application is solely meant for opening the SWF Friend Finder straight from the desktop. He is not making another Friend Finder, so he cannot add features. That's up to the admins.
Also, quoted for truth. Someone noticed finally.

So far it looks like it might just be my AIR SDK being absolutely freaking effed up - that being said, when I get the time this week I'm going to reinstall all the AIR stuff and see if it fixes the compiling problem. Thanks for the support everyone, it means a lot. I'll try and get this out sometime soon, even if I have to go nuts figuring it out :p

heroicsonic

Smash Apprentice
lol what i told you

i was right

heh.

But im sopporting this project! bump for justice. also take your time,but i dont get it, whats so special about this? its not that hard just to go to the website and use the friend finder.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Well, in addition to having problems with AIR compiling this, there is a little more to it then just, "Yup, there's the friend finder, cool". I'm also including an integrated smashboards browser and hopefully by the second version I'll have a chat system I'm working on up and going

but that'll take some bandwidth cost on me - I don't mind, I'll just have to get my server going with it and work on implementing it in the program.

you are right though - at this point the program is very basic. Nothing much to it at the moment. Once I figure some more stuff out about vBulletin (the SWF forums system) and get everything worked out with just small nitpicky things in the interface, the program will become a bit more full-featured.

also, it's just **** handy. haha

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Ah, just put a google ad on there. That should cover the costs. You could also maybe host teamspeak or something too if you wanted. Like I said, I can help out with photoshop, just send me a pm or something and tell me what to do

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
I could help you with stuff, if you'd want to, with Flash and AIR and whatnot. :)

Of course, if you don't want to, then it's fine by me. :p

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Ughhh. Sorry guys, I'm still trying to figure out the compilation problem.
I've been pretty busy with hospital trips and school and such, and getting ready to move out.
I'm trying to keep on top of this as well as I can, but I'm having problems with getting any answers out of the support provided by Adobe.

I'll give myself a bit more time this week to try and work it out, but I can't exactly promise everything. I'm real sorry to anyone who's been looking forward to this so much. I'll report back at the end of this week and see if I figure anything out.

Arean

Smash Ace
I dont know, this is either just a joke for you to fool everyone. you havent posted anything which proves the existence of this application... print screening wont even take a huge amount of time you know.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
I dont know, this is either just a joke for you to fool everyone. you havent posted anything which proves the existence of this application... print screening wont even take a huge amount of time you know.
But you see, there is one main flaw to that idea; why would someone joke about something like this when the only thing that can come of it when it doesn't happen is disappointment?
There is no motivation behind saying you're going to do something, and then not doing it, but still giving updates on progress.
If it's a joke, he might as well just delete his account, and make a new one.

Arean

Smash Ace
I will believe if there is at least actual proof of this project...

mesCo

Smash Cadet
MAKE IT A DIFFERENT URL THAN SMASHBOARDS.COM!!!! srsly the SWFF is sooooo freakin laggy. Since theres always like 1k ppl on this website at one time, SWFF is slowed down like mad.

omg1337core

Smash Cadet
Alright, well, I might have figured out the compilation problem.
Unfortunately, I'll have to do all the tinkering around later tonight, I'm gonna be busy for the next hour or two due to a hospital appointment.

Also, Arean - I don't see you doing much in the way of trying to make anything like this. So I wouldn't go shooting off with that opinion so quickly. This is my first major project involving a public release, and I underestimated how much work it would take to get it out there. Also, Omen made a good point with what would be any motive for me to lead on a community thousands strong? Just chill. It'll be out one day. I can't make any promises on exactly when, but I'm trying.

Anyway, it might be specific to my computer, but I'm going to do the compile on three different rigs to see what happens. Might be a problem with my DW plugin or AIR itself - regardless, I'll try and figure this out.
I'm not giving up. Just banging my head against the wall figuring out this step of releasing this.

GriN

Smash Rookie
Keep up the good work, This would make trying to find a match online way easier...a Chat system would be sweet also.

S2

Smash Lord
Keep it up OMG1337core,

Programming can feel like being stuck on a hard puzzle at times, but I'm sure you'll figure everything out. Besides, keep in mind that there will be lots of happy players when you finish. :)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Alright, well, I might have figured out the compilation problem.
Unfortunately, I'll have to do all the tinkering around later tonight, I'm gonna be busy for the next hour or two due to a hospital appointment.

Also, Arean - I don't see you doing much in the way of trying to make anything like this. So I wouldn't go shooting off with that opinion so quickly. This is my first major project involving a public release, and I underestimated how much work it would take to get it out there. Also, Omen made a good point with what would be any motive for me to lead on a community thousands strong? Just chill. It'll be out one day. I can't make any promises on exactly when, but I'm trying.

Anyway, it might be specific to my computer, but I'm going to do the compile on three different rigs to see what happens. Might be a problem with my DW plugin or AIR itself - regardless, I'll try and figure this out.
I'm not giving up. Just banging my head against the wall figuring out this step of releasing this.

Nah, you suck lol jk dude suppy

Top Bottom