• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Final Daily Pic - December 5th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Tomorrow, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released in Japan! The players in Japan had to wait a bit longer for their release, but then again, they did get the 3DS version first. We were glad to be able to release this game in the Americas just in time for Thanksgiving in the United States."

This also marks the conclusion of the Pic of the Day series and Sakurai left his closing comment "Pic of the day has continued since E3 2013, and I would like to bring this series to a close today.
A total of 384 posts and roughly 500 screenshots have been posted, and there's even more screenshots if you count the ones I've posted for different regions.

The origins of pic of the day was sharing one picture a day of the game in development inside the company. It started out just as a small bonus for the staff.

However, once we started sharing pictures with the public, it was a much tougher process. We had to be more careful to choose appropriate pictures to post while keeping a consistant schedule regardless of how busy we got, all while some people only wanted new information from my posts.

It's nice to finally be able to get one weight off of my shoulders. But, we promised to create Mewtwo as a playable character, so I can't relax too much yet. I hope you'll look forward to Mewtwo joining the battle!"

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I've gotten too used to these now. I don't know how to function without these anymore...

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
A little disappointed the final PotD wasn't a sneak peak of Mewtwo in development, but only because that was the focus of his closing statement. GG PotD

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Why do I have the feeling that he's been reading Smash Boards? Thanks for complaining about the lack of new info, guys...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Guys, this is Sakurai.... Maybe it IS the last one, maybe not.

I'm ready for both situations
I've gotten too used to these now. I don't know how to function without these anymore...
Make some pictures yourself, it's gonna be okay..... you may die you're gonna survive through it........

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Thank you Sakuari for something you never needed to do in the first place and thank you for giving us all Mewtwo. We all know you did him for the fans. Hopefully after you release him, you get the break you so much deserve!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Thank you Sakuari for something you never needed to do in the first place and thank you for giving us all Mewtwo. We all know you did him for the fans. Hopefully after you release him, you get the break you so much deserve!
He truly deserved it! Let Namco do the rest, Sakurai!

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Sad to see these end, but they couldn't go on forever.
RIP PotD [2013 - 2014]
You will be missed.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
A little disappointed the final PotD wasn't a sneak peak of Mewtwo in development, but only because that was the focus of his closing statement. GG PotD
This is exactly the kind of answer he was talking about when he said "some people only wanted new information from my posts". So congrats on proving him right once again. As for the PotDs, I'll miss them.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Should have just let users submit pics of the day and comments... I mean that's so simple, right?

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I will truly miss these pics of the day. I've had a special connection with these in-development screenshots. In July of 2013, I learned that Olimar :4olimar: would return to Smash Bros. I told my closest circle of friends via group chat, and it was from that day forward that I sent them the pic of the day every day, with my own personal descriptions. I knew this game would be amazing, and by showing them the pics of the day I got them to feel the same way. I will always treasure the pics of the day for deepening our appreciation for this game, and I will truly miss this part of my morning. But all goods things must come to an end, I suppose.

I hope Sakurai has a well deserved vacation. He should spend time with his family, and maybe have his calcific tendinitis (the growing mass of calcium in his shoulders that makes it painful to use his arms) treated if he has not already. I look forward to seeing what he will do next, be it a long needed sequel to Kirby Air Ride :4kirby:, a Kid Icarus title :4pit: for Wii U, or something completely unexpected.

As for Smash Bros., I look forward to the next installment within the next six years or so. Maybe Metroid will be justified to have a new representative by that point. Maybe the likes of Captain Toad and the Inkling from Splatoon will join the battle. Maybe Ice Climbers will come back. As with each Smash Bros., there is so much potential, but for now I'm loving both versions as they are. The pics of the day made it clear how Sakurai poured his heart and soul into this game, in addition to the help and guidence from the staff at Sora, Namco Bandai Studios, Sega, Capcom, Nintendo, and the fans. This truly is the best Smash experience yet, and all that's left to wait for is the return of Mewtwo. :mewtwopm:

Happy smashing, everyone.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Checking the pic of the day was the first thing I did when coming back from school. I'm gonna miss it. :(

However, it's really cool how the pic of the day ended on the same day as school for me. That said, now I'm gonna miss two things.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I will truly miss these pics of the day. I've had a special connection with these in-development screenshots. In July of 2013, I learned that Olimar :4olimar: would return to Smash Bros. I told my closest circle of friends via group chat, and it was from that day forward that I sent them the pic of the day every day, with my own personal descriptions. I knew this game would be amazing, and by showing them the pics of the day I got them to feel the same way. I will always treasure the pics of the day for deepening our appreciation for this game, and I will truly miss this part of my morning. But all goods things must come to an end, I suppose.

I hope Sakurai has a well deserved vacation. He should spend time with his family, and maybe have his calcific tendinitis (the growing mass of calcium in his shoulders that makes it painful to use his arms) treated if he has not already. I look forward to seeing what he will do next, be it a long needed sequel to Kirby Air Ride :4kirby:, a Kid Icarus title :4pit: for Wii U, or something completely unexpected.

As for Smash Bros., I look forward to the next installment within the next six years or so. Maybe Metroid will be justified to have a new representative by that point. Maybe the likes of Captain Toad and the Inkling from Splatoon will join the battle. Maybe Ice Climbers will come back. As with each Smash Bros., there is so much potential, but for now I'm loving both versions as they are. The pics of the day made it clear how Sakurai poured his heart and soul into this game, in addition to the help and guidence from the staff at Sora, Namco Bandai Studios, Sega, Capcom, Nintendo, and the fans. This truly is the best Smash experience yet, and all that left to wait for is the return of Mewtwo. :mewtwopm:

Happy smashing, everyone.
I wanted to say this but you explained it all better than I ever could :)
(and please on the Kid Icarus for Wii U!!!!)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
After 2+ years... It's come to an end.

Goodbye old friend.

Thanks, Masahiro Sakurai, for all the good times.

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for everything Sakurai. This was one incredible journey to Sm4sh, and I wish you a long deserved holiday.

あなたの桜井さんに感謝

"Thank you Sakurai-san"

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
It's funny how when the game was in progress people would go crazy on a Pic of the day saying how much they like it, be it a menu shot or a trophy. Now that the game is released a lot of those people are just selfish, so what if the full game is released? This is the guy who put work into bringing us this title, a little appreciation wouldn't hurt. We know so little of how much time Sakurai really did work during development and he kept being consistent in everything he did, but hey selfish people will stay selfish. There are 2 types of people (: those who like the pics of the day after release and those who don't care.

Never have I seen a developer follow up with a title in progress like he did. :150:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
The POTDs got me through the first half-of the day for work and class since last June and it's going to be sad not having something to look forward to.

Sakurai is the man. Not only did he give everything he had to make Smash Bros amazing, but he kept us entertained every weekday with fun snippets from the game. I wish there was someway to repay him and all the team for their hard work beyond just buying everything they put out.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Thank you Sakurai. I dont always agree with your decisions but you are still my hero for all your effort making Smash and many other games.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
I only took notice of the Potd a month before the 3DS release, although my time with the pictures was small, I will miss waking up in the morning to a new picture.

I feel like the lack of Sakurai from now on is like saying bye to a friend :'(

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
inb4 Sakurai posts some sudden info about Mewtwo tomorrow.

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
Is it odd that I like the Japanese Title Screen more than the English?

Until next game, Sakurai. PoTD will be missed ;^;

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
R.I.P. Sakurai (1999 - 2014)

You will be truly missed in the hearts of all Smash fans and can finally rest in peace without having to develop another game). Now it's time for use to accept the fact that someone else will be in charge of Smash's potential future.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This is the same way i felt after the Brawl Dojo stopped updating. It hurts inside simply because i'm a person of habit and ritual- every morning, i would get up, turn on my wii u and check miiverse. I now have to get out of that habit, which is the tough part. I'm truly going to miss these.

GymleaderBen

Smash Apprentice
Finally free, Rip Van Sakurai can go into the hills and sleep until they wake him up saying "yeah, they want a new smash bros. No you can't make another kirby. Yes, we know its been over a decade since you got to make one"

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I have been following this game since it's reveal in E3 2013, soaking in every pic of the day, every character trailer, and direct that followed later afterwards. I speculated with friends over how the game would play and over every little detail we could find, over the veterans and newcomers changes to their movesets or how they'll work, and so on and so on. And for the games to finally be released...I dunno, very bittersweet to me. I'm going to miss the goofy pictures of Luigi's nose, of the often incredibly detailed posts with many bits of info my friends and I would take in and talk about, the hilarious more recent trophy display pics...and now it's all over. It has been a very lengthy journey, and there's still a little more to come (Mewtwo! :b:) but otherwise...it's done. Many thanks to Sakurai and his talented team for all of their incredible work they put into these spectacular games. :)

Top Bottom