• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - November 24th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Here's a little tidbit about the song names in My Music. The tracks with a red icon are song arrangements made for this game, and the ones with the black icons are arrangements from past versions. What might be a little confusing is that some track names from Super Smash Bros. Melee are now stage names for this version. The track Corneria from Melee isn't a song that plays in Corneria in the original game, but we couldn't change the name of the track. Sorry for any confusion."

Sakurai posted an additional comment and said "We've included four versions of the Mute City music tracks. The regular Mute City track is from Melee, Ver. 2 is from Brawl and Ver. 3 was specifically arranged for the 3DS and Wii U versions. The track from the original game is in here too. This game probably has the most music tracks compared to any other game."
And one final comment "In Sounds, you can even listen to voices of some enemies. Metal Face has as many voice variations as the fighters…He'll say something a little different when Shulk is on the field."

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
So we got four versions of the Mute City theme on Port Town, and yet we STILL can't get the ACTUAL Port Town theme from F-Zero GX -_-

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
Meanwhile, Duty [Ablaze] from FE13 was cut short (as was ID~Purpose) while we got the full version of Mario Circuit from Mario Kart 8. The latter being cut short on the 3DS version I guess I could understand [seeing as it was bout 4 and a half minutes], but I was disappointed when it remained that way on the Wii U version. Even Duty [Ablaze] wasn't that long even with the cuts of some of the parts! C'mon guys, that franchise bias really hurts.

Ah well, I'm still looking to see what tracks can actually be unlocked.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
So we got four versions of the Mute City theme on Port Town, and yet we STILL can't get the ACTUAL Port Town theme from F-Zero GX -_-
seriously tho. f-zero is tragically underrepresented in the wiiu version -- theres no new stage :,(

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Nor an actual stage with Mute City. They did it for the 3DS, but ironically didn't port it the Wii U version or have something similar. F-Zero has a really weird selection for series representation.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
lel menus

next time he'll show the start screen or the sound options

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile, Duty [Ablaze] from FE13 was cut short (as was ID~Purpose) while we got the full version of Mario Circuit from Mario Kart 8. The latter being cut short on the 3DS version I guess I could understand [seeing as it was bout 4 and a half minutes], but I was disappointed when it remained that way on the Wii U version. Even Duty [Ablaze] wasn't that long even with the cuts of some of the parts! C'mon guys, that franchise bias really hurts.

Ah well, I'm still looking to see what tracks can actually be unlocked.
More than half the vocal Sonic songs got cut, roughly all the Xenoblade songs got cut and Donkey Kong has 7 variations of Jungle Hijinx. What's this about Bias?

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
The track Corneria from Melee isn't a song that plays in Corneria in the original game, but we couldn't change the name of the track. Sorry for any confusion.
Could someone explain this to me, how could they not change the name of the song... I mean that can't be that hard to do. I'm just wondering.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Could someone explain this to me, how could they not change the name of the song... I mean that can't be that hard to do. I'm just wondering.
Because you don't just change the name of a piece/song, thats all there is to it. Changing the name would cause more confusion than just saying "the song is keeping the name everyone knows it as, deal".

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Because you don't just change the name of a piece/song, thats all there is to it. Changing the name would cause more confusion than just saying "the song is keeping the name everyone knows it as, deal".
Oh, okay... lol. I thought he meant it was completely impossible for them to change it XD

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Here's a little tidbit about the song names in My Music. The tracks with a red icon are song arrangements made for this game, and the ones with the black icons are arrangements from past versions. What might be a little confusing is that some track names from Super Smash Bros. Melee are now stage names for this version. The track Corneria from Melee isn't a song that plays in Corneria in the original game, but we couldn't change the name of the track. Sorry for any confusion."
I hope they include the meaning of the red-colored and black-colored "Remix" text within the game and/or in the game manual for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, because that could get a bit confusing.. I feel like the terms could have been elaborated to specify "OLD Remix" and "NEW Remix", with "Old Remix" being colored black and "New Remix" being colored blue (I personally feel like "red vs. blue" contrasts a bit better than "red vs. black", not to mention more distinguishing from the black "Original" text).

These terms can get a bit unwieldy.. >_> You have things like "Battlefield (Brawl)" labeled as 'Original' in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, when one could arguably consider that song as a remix of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl main theme rather than its own thing. :estatic:

Uh..excuse me, Sakurai? Other than "rights issues" or something, exactly what prevents you guys from changing the name of the background music of Super Smash Bros. Melee's Corneria stage? The way it is now is arguably more confusing, in my opinion. The Super Smash Bros. Melee Corneria stage's music and the actual "Corneria" music (remixing the Corneria music of Star Fox 1) are both labeled as deriving from "Star Fox" (by which I presume they mean the first-released Star Fox game, which I refer to as Star Fox 1), yet the music that isn't an actual "Corneria" remix is the one that gets no suffix? And "Corneria (Brawl)" makes it seem like the track being titled is the music of the Corneria stage from Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which is actually ported from Super Smash Bros. Melee). If they're going to use stage names for titles, at least use "Corneria (Melee)" and "Corneria" like Super Smash Bros. Brawl did, since we didn't get any new Corneria remixes in Super Smash Bros. 4 to my knowledge.
In my opinion, the song-naming team should have just started from scratch and renamed all the songs as what they are, not as what stage they played on (it seems like mostly Super Smash Bros. Melee songs suffer heavily from this issue).

In terms of the 2 "Corneria" tracks being confused, the music of the Corneria stage from Super Smash Bros. Melee should be titled as "Venom (Star Fox 1) / Space Armada" (SSBWiki describes the track as "This track is an orchestral remix of the music that would play when Team Star Fox flew through the Venom area in Star Fox, with small excerpts of Space Armada inserted." However, apparently the "Space Armada" music is also known as Star Fox 1's Map Screen music, so there's that...) in the fashion of a lot of the other Super Smash Bros. 4 medleys that contain excerpts from 2 songs.

The remix (that debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) of Star Fox 1's Corneria theme should simply be designated as "Corneria (Star Fox 1)". Since the "game origins" appear to be listed for each track, I guess you can omit the "Star Fox 1" parts, although I prefer more clarity (particularly since 'Star Fox' alone could be confused as the whole Star Fox franchise rather than the first game, and multiple "Corneria" settings throughout the franchise have different music.).

Well, the song-naming team for Super Smash Bros. 4 apparently changed the title of the "Pokemon Gold/Silver battle theme medley" (originally known as "Battle Theme") from Super Smash Bros. Melee:
--"Battle Theme" (its original name in Super Smash Bros. Melee, possibly the most generic song title in the entire game)
--"Battle Theme (Melee)" (in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Although it apparently keeps the entirety of the original title, the "(Melee)" addition should count as a slight change.
--"Pokemon Stadium 2" (in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I haven't seen this track's name on-screen, so I don't know if there's any additional suffixes, but people have been confirming it as the "alternate music from Super Smash Bros. Melee's Pokemon Stadium stage"). Not only did the whole title change, this track didn't even play on the Pokemon Stadium 2 stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
---In my opinion, while it's good that the song finally got a less generic name, the renaming really didn't help matters.. I felt like it should be called "Pokemon Gold/Silver Battle Theme Medley" or "Battle Theme Medley (Pokemon Gold/Silver)" or something along those lines, as wordy as that potential title is..

Also, the Super Smash Bros. Brawl remix of "Stickerbrush Symphony" (known as "Bramble Blast" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) got (sensibly) renamed in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U to the true title of "Stickerbrush Symphony"..

In any case, those changes demonstrate that the team (at least the English localization team) is not opposed to outright changing the names of certain songs/remixes. I really wish there was more consistency/order to the song names, though.. You have song names that get titles inexplicably changed for no reason, songs named after the stages that they debuted on, and other song names that only increase confusion. :urg:

I don't see what would be wrong with just tacking "(Melee)" onto the end of it.
This.

----

In summary (Opinions abound! Also, this list assumes that the "game origins" are displayed and the "original version of song, old Super Smash Bros. remix, new Super Smash Bros. remix" distinction is made):
--"Corneria"/"Corneria (Melee)/Corneria" song of Super Smash Bros. Melee's Corneria stage should be called "Venom (Star Fox 1) / Space Armada"
--The remix (that debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) of Star Fox 1's Corneria theme (known as "Corneria" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) should be called "Corneria (Star Fox 1)"
--"Battle Theme (Melee)"/"Battle Theme"/"Pokemon Stadium 2", the song that originally acted as an alternate music track for Super Smash Bros. Melee's Pokemon Stadium 1 stage should be known as "Battle Theme Medley (Pokemon Gold/Silver)" (as much as I really hate the wordiness and genericness of my suggested title).
--Song namers, please get a bit more organized. :laugh: I'm loving the progress, though!

Last edited:

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I hope they include the meaning of the red-colored and black-colored "Remix" text within the game and/or in the game manual for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, because that could get a bit confusing.. I feel like the terms could have been elaborated to specify "OLD Remix" and "NEW Remix", with "Old Remix" being colored black and "New Remix" being colored blue (I personally feel like "red vs. blue" contrasts a bit better than "red vs. black", not to mention more distinguishing from the black "Original" text).

These terms can get a bit unwieldy.. >_> You have things like "Battlefield (Brawl)" labeled as 'Original' in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, when one could arguably consider that song as a remix of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl main theme rather than its own thing. :estatic:

Uh..excuse me, Sakurai? Other than "rights issues" or something, exactly what prevents you guys from changing the name of the background music of Super Smash Bros. Melee's Corneria stage? The way it is now is arguably more confusing, in my opinion. The Super Smash Bros. Melee Corneria stage's music and the actual "Corneria" music (remixing the Corneria music of Star Fox 1) are both labeled as deriving from "Star Fox" (by which I presume they mean the first-released Star Fox game, which I refer to as Star Fox 1), yet the music that isn't an actual "Corneria" remix is the one that gets no suffix? And "Corneria (Brawl)" makes it seem like the track being titled is the music of the Corneria stage from Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which is actually ported from Super Smash Bros. Melee). If they're going to use stage names for titles, at least use "Corneria (Melee)" and "Corneria" like Super Smash Bros. Brawl did, since we didn't get any new Corneria remixes in Super Smash Bros. 4 to my knowledge.
In my opinion, the song-naming team should have just started from scratch and renamed all the songs as what they are, not as what stage they played on (it seems like mostly Super Smash Bros. Melee songs suffer heavily from this issue).

In terms of the 2 "Corneria" tracks being confused, the music of the Corneria stage from Super Smash Bros. Melee should be titled as "Venom (Star Fox 1) / Space Armada" (SSBWiki describes the track as "This track is an orchestral remix of the music that would play when Team Star Fox flew through the Venom area in Star Fox, with small excerpts of Space Armada inserted." However, apparently the "Space Armada" music is also known as Star Fox 1's Map Screen music, so there's that...) in the fashion of a lot of the other Super Smash Bros. 4 medleys that contain excerpts from 2 songs.

The remix (that debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) of Star Fox 1's Corneria theme should simply be designated as "Corneria (Star Fox 1)". Since the "game origins" appear to be listed for each track, I guess you can omit the "Star Fox 1" parts, although I prefer more clarity (particularly since 'Star Fox' alone could be confused as the whole Star Fox franchise rather than the first game, and multiple "Corneria" settings throughout the franchise have different music.).

Well, the song-naming team for Super Smash Bros. 4 apparently changed the title of the "Pokemon Gold/Silver battle theme medley" (originally known as "Battle Theme") from Super Smash Bros. Melee:
--"Battle Theme" (its original name in Super Smash Bros. Melee, possibly the most generic song title in the entire game)
--"Battle Theme (Melee)" (in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Although it apparently keeps the entirety of the original title, the "(Melee)" addition should count as a slight change.
--"Pokemon Stadium 2" (in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I haven't seen this track's name on-screen, so I don't know if there's any additional suffixes, but people have been confirming it as the "alternate music from Super Smash Bros. Melee's Pokemon Stadium stage"). Not only did the whole title change, this track didn't even play on the Pokemon Stadium 2 stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
---In my opinion, while it's good that the song finally got a less generic name, the renaming really didn't help matters.. I felt like it should be called "Pokemon Gold/Silver Battle Theme Medley" or "Battle Theme Medley (Pokemon Gold/Silver)" or something along those lines, as wordy as that potential title is..

Also, the Super Smash Bros. Brawl remix of "Stickerbrush Symphony" (known as "Bramble Blast" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) got (sensibly) renamed in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U to the true title of "Stickerbrush Symphony"..

In any case, those changes demonstrate that the team (at least the English localization team) is opposed to outright changing the names of certain songs/remixes. I really wish there was more consistency/order to the song names, though.. You have song names that get titles inexplicably changed for no reason, songs named after the stages that they debuted on, and other song names that only increase confusion. :urg:

This.

----

In summary (Opinions abound! Also, this list assumes that the "game origins" are displayed and the "original version of song, old Super Smash Bros. remix, new Super Smash Bros. remix" distinction is made):
--"Corneria"/"Corneria (Melee)/Corneria" song of Super Smash Bros. Melee's Corneria stage should be called "Venom (Star Fox 1) / Space Armada"
--The remix (that debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) of Star Fox 1's Corneria theme (known as "Corneria" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) should be called "Corneria (Star Fox 1)"
--"Battle Theme (Melee)"/"Battle Theme"/"Pokemon Stadium 2", the song that originally acted as an alternate music track for Super Smash Bros. Melee's Pokemon Stadium 1 stage should be known as "Battle Theme Medley (Pokemon Gold/Silver)" (as much as I really hate the wordiness and genericness of my suggested title).
--Song namers, please get a bit more organized. :laugh: I'm loving the progress, though!
Tl;dr lel

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
More than half the vocal Sonic songs got cut, roughly all the Xenoblade songs got cut and Donkey Kong has 7 variations of Jungle Hijinx. What's this about Bias?
I can only report on those from games I have played or remember well, so I thought those were the only ones; I am aware of the Sonic vocal tracks, particularly those from Brawl. Perhaps "bias" wasn't quite the proper word to use, but I still feel Nintendo gives the Mario franchise more "spotlight" than their other franchises which is mostly true. For instance, they incorporated both variants of Cloudtop Cruise from Mario Kart 8 into a rather nice remix that you could hear both in while keeping it fresh, but the length of the music is still kept intact [I hope that makes sense]. In a game like Smash Bros. it's still mostly dominated with Mario themes, which most people agree is a bit unfair to their other supporting series, even if they're not as large. It's like how my parents used to call the games back in the day, "Mario Smash Bros." :laugh:

But whoops I got to being whiny, I just really enjoyed the music tracks in Awakening I was hoping to hear them again in their entirety.

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
exactly what prevents you guys from changing the name of the background music of Super Smash Bros. Melee's Corneria stage?
I think it's because you don't simply change names of works normally. We wouldn't change the name of Mona Lisa, and not Nintendo-songs either (nor any song for that matter).

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Sakurai has gone on the record as saying he took several days off working on the game getting distracted playing it.

I can only imagine the kind of nightmares the man is plagued with.
He still works... way too hard...

Top Bottom