• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - June 20th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Here's Donkey Kong's third standard special attack, Storm Punch!! Thanks to the customization options, each fighter is stocked with 12 different special moves. The number of attacks is pretty appalling."

He also included a second comment without picture saying "We've made it so that customization options, including special attacks, will be disabled when you're playing online in With Anyone mode. After all, we have to think about game balance, and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another. When you're playing in single player, battling with friends online, or playing locally, you're free to play however you want--with or without customization."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This makes me interested in playing DK again

But if Custom moves are banned, what would be the point?

I'm really interested in trying out the different custom moves with the characters

Shin F.

Smash Master
Pretty awesome special, and it's great to see more of how he's really thinking about making sure people can learn reliable tactics and techniques to use without having to worry about unexpected custom moves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And that's why Miis may be banned from competitive play, since there may be no standard moveset and height for them.

I'm thinking that the only way it can be allowed is if they use the Guest Miis for every tournament available, and if the tournament scene agree on a specific moveset, which probably will be the 1st variation.

That aside, is this not the first picture we've seen where DK doesn't look goofy and ridiculus? Actually seeing him with a serious expression scares me a bit.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Hmmm I wonder if this will rule out custom moves as part of the competitive meta.
Honestly to me I hope the community gives it a chance at least. If Mortal Kombat X can have custom variants why can't smash?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And that's why Miis may be banned from competitive play, since there may be no standard moveset and height for them.

I'm thinking that the only way it can be allowed is if they use the Guest Miis for every tournament available, and if the tournament scene agree on a specific moveset, which probably will be the 1st variation.

That aside, is this not the first picture we've seen where DK doesn't look goofy and ridiculus? Actually seeing him with a serious expression scares me a bit.
Couldn't their default moveset just be move 1 from each category

From that logic, Palutena would also be banned

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
So they're removing the option from online play because they're afraid of balance issues... I think custom movesets have HUGE potential and that they should put extra time into balancing them instead of cutting them out of competitive!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So they're removing the option from online play because they're afraid of balance issues... I think custom movesets have HUGE potential and that they should put extra time into balancing them instead of cutting them out of competitive!
I disagree as trying to balance 32+ characters 128 special moves is much easier then 384 special moves. The game will be better made if they focus on just those 128+

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I wouldn't want Sakurai to worry himself trying to balance all the special moves. Almost 40 characters with 12 special move variants each? Not to mention that a couple have completely unique special moves instead of variations. That is too much to handle, so I'm glad this is not available online against anyone. I wonder if this game's future competitive community will allow it though.

Either way, I'm excited to try out these new moves. Sounds like a TON of replay value headed my way.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Yes, 17th post!!

That hitbox seems pretty huge, although the wind doesn't hurt them obviously.

Also, "...and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another." will be discussed on the forums I'm sure.

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
I disagree as trying to balance 32+ characters 128 special moves is much easier then 384 special moves. The game will be better made if they focus on just those 128+
It would be a lot of work, but if he has no plan to balance them I would rather them not even use custom moves and focus on something else.

Kati

Smash Lord
I really don't get how custom moves hurt balance while items don't... Why limit the mayhem online??

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
So with this, Donkey Kong turns into Dudley from Street Fighter.

On the topic of custom moves and the competetive scene, wouldn't it be a little counter productive to allow them? We see in one of the Smash Run demonstrations that unlocking extra custom moves is completely random, I don't know how many tournament organizers are willing to deal with unlocking a huge list of things that could potentially be as tedius as collecting all the music CDs in Brawl without the use of the sandbag trick and if custom moves are tournament legal you're going to HAVE to have all the options unlocked.

Also I honestly don't think it'd be fun to watch tournaments where not only are players changing their control scheme but now they're looking for their custom moves combination as well, it'd take ages to start a match at that point especially if they plan on using multiple different characters or if later combatants use the same character but have different combinations.

Also let's be honest if custom move sets were tourney legal, we'll probably see nothing but Palutena, you guys seen all the crazy stuff she had in the trailer? She's got just about everything, a teliport, a parry, a reflector, she can hover, obviously most of that will have to be part of her custom moves so we don't know what her default stuff is going to be.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
"The number of attacks is pretty appalling."
What do you mean, Sakurai?

D

Deleted member

Couldn't their default moveset just be move 1 from each category

From that logic, Palutena would also be banned
Not exactly, as we know Palutena will have a default moveset (since she's playable online) and we don't know if the Miis do.

Of course, as I've said, the tournament scene can easily find a singular way to implement the Mii, so it's possible, but not with customization in mind.

lol It seems smart to limit the moves. Let the community determine for itself what is usable and what is not when you play each other.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Even though this is very, very cool, I'm afraid Sakurai is just adding simple effects to most attacks... Remember, when people do Brawl hacking, I notice that they are able to add effects. These being fire, ice, wind, lightning and dark-effect. As we've seen, Mario's Cape (side special) can change into either Gust Cape or Lightning Cape. Kirby can also change her Suck into spitting Ice. Now we have a Gust punch for DK. It's very cool indeed, but I hope more attacks get a bit more changed than just adding these effects. As I said, it's very cool, it does change up the attack a bit, and not all moves are like this (Mario's Fludd can change into different types, DK's side special can change into a slow, super-armored version, etc).

Anyways, I'm really, really liking the idea of customizing moves! And even 3 different variants, for each special move, for each character! Seing more customized attacks are actually one of the features I'm most excited for now :D

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Seems like DK took a few lessons from Street Fighter's Dudley

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Playing with your friends for fun. That sounds like a pretty good point to me. Or do you mean what would be the point of you playing DK?
Because every Smash player has friends who also play Smash, right?
Hmmm I wonder if this will rule out custom moves as part of the competitive meta.
Almost about everything in Smash is ruled out of competitive meta.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Custom specials would add DEPTH to Smash, allowing for MANY unique players\playstyles; the amount of techniques from 12 specials oppossed to 4...PLUS just imagine the INSANE amount of combinations that can be created via Special Customization

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
This is probably one of my most anticipated feature for smash 4. I cant wait to try out all the new moves

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
>Move that doesn't even deal damage revealed
>Sakurai says customs are banned from anonymous online play to remove the element of surprise
>People scream "BANNED" (though granted they've been doing that already but I don't see why people are making it sound as if Storm Punch is a whole new level of broken compared to every other custom we've seen so far)

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers are allowed to take an ENTIRE stock through a single grab in-tournament, but Custom Specials are getting banned?

My fellow smashers, why would something that depresses players, makes matches EXTREMELY tedious to watch due to heavy camping, and also makes players quit be allowed in-tourney, yet Custom Specials, something that will add depth to a somewhat linear fighter; will allow characters to handle things they would normally have been overwhelmed by; will allow this game to stay FRESH; how, why would such a thing be banned?

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Hurricane punch, eh? Pretty mind-blowing that DK has the strength to do something like that! Though I'm not too surprised considering he's pretty much Nintendo's (much friendlier) version of Hulk.

I totally wanna see Samus' options now...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers are allowed to take an ENTIRE stock through a single grab in-tournament, but Custom Specials are getting banned?

My fellow smashers, why would something that depresses players, makes matches EXTREMELY tedious to watch due to heavy camping, and also makes players quit be allowed in-tourney, yet Custom Specials, something that will add depth to a somewhat linear fighter; will allow characters to handle things they would normally have been overwhelmed by; will allow this game to stay FRESH; how, why would such a thing be banned?
It's pretty much as Sakurai says. It's to detract the benefit of surprising your oponnent that doesn't know what you have customized your fighter to do.

Ice Climbers grabbing is cheap and depressing, but people know that they have it, and there has been no way to change that for the characters.

Again, that's something the tournament community can adapt to, but it's more to the point if they're going to be willing to do so. After all, we need to take it into consideration that people watch these matches, and such variation could lead to confusion.

Then again, wavedashing as a concept is by itself confusing to the casual non-competitive audience. It all depends on who directs the competitive scene of the new Smash Bros.

Peru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peru_El_Campeon
3DS FC
2750-1137-6520
I really hope that the competitive scene picks up a scene for the custom moveset Smash 4 fights. I would love to have a tourney for "normal" Smash 4 and a tourney for "Custom" Smash 4. This attack for DK makes him even more cool!

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I'm really curious as to what the Villager's specials will be. Perhaps a Lloid that explodes faster and bigger? Tree that drops fruit instead of chopping down? Up-B that makes your balloons explode with nerfed recovery? So many possibilities!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"The number of attacks is pretty appalling" wut
I'm guessing by appalling he means 'disgusting' or 'sick' in a good way, like, as in 'holy crap there are many of them'.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
This move will be really cool with his Abominable Snowman costume.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ness or Lucas's customizations. (If they make it... which at least ONE better...)

Top Bottom