• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 20th

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
While the premise of Smash Run is interesting, I see it as a gimmick I'll only play to beat the **** out of creatures from other series. Just killing things for five minutes to get power ups for a battle is tedious, not only in the initial stages of Smash Run, but possibly how the outcome of the power ups might affect the match.
I played Kirby Air Ride a lot as a kid with friends, and I can guarantee you that City Trail is an incredibly fun game.

I don't see Smash Run ever becoming a tournament thing, due to the reliance on its many power ups, items, gear, etc. But if it's as fun as City Trail was in Kirby Air Ride, then I can definitely see it as a side game with no money involved in tournaments.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
I played Kirby Air Ride a lot as a kid with friends, and I can guarantee you that City Trail is an incredibly fun game.

I don't see Smash Run ever becoming a tournament thing, due to the reliance on its many power ups, items, gear, etc. But if it's as fun as City Trail was in Kirby Air Ride, then I can definitely see it as a side game with no money involved in tournaments.
Smash run does sound really fun though,but we need a character revealed

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Also red tunic link doesn't look amazing at all. It's just Link, with a little palette swap. I was so happy to see Skyward Sword link outfit and Mario golf one, there was hope. But no, there's no hope. Because we still have that stupid palette swaps, and always will.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well, no need for me to buy Uprising. I mean, it's included in Smash after all. :laugh:

It's a joke.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Also red tunic link doesn't look amazing at all. It's just Link, with a little palette swap. I was so happy to see Skyward Sword link outfit and Mario golf one, there was hope. But no, there's no hope. Because we still have that stupid palette swaps, and always will.
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding why this is a bad thing: We have palette swaps AND alternate costumes. It's not like we just get palette swaps.

Even games like Marvel vs Capcom have the same thing: Palette swaps and then actual alternate costumes.
EDIT: in fact, it's even worse in Marvel vs Capcom 3, because said alternate costumes you need to buy. Unless Sakurai trolls us last minute and says "you actually need to buy them," Smash is giving them to us for free.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
Link: "Hey baby! Do those legs go all the way up?"
Mimicutie: "Why yes they do!"
Link: "Ah! Oh my god, your a monster!"
Mimicutie: "Come back! My legs are shaved like a little girl!"

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding why this is a bad thing: We have palette swaps AND alternate costumes. It's not like we just get palette swaps.

Even games like Marvel vs Capcom have the same thing: Palette swaps and then actual alternate costumes.
EDIT: in fact, it's even worse in Marvel vs Capcom 3, because said alternate costumes you need to buy. Unless Sakurai trolls us last minute and says "you actually need to buy them," Smash is giving them to us for free.
I understand, but i still think it's dumb to have just different color, i think it's laziness and nothing else.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a fiasco, with another game only with some characters added (ultimate marvel vs capcom 3) , forcing people to buy it to play as phoenix wright and ghost rider, ****ty character roster etc.(modok really?) I'm not even comparing it with smash, or nintendo.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh goodie, even more awful memories of KI:U.
Right next to Clubberskulls and Staff campers Online.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I understand, but i still think it's dumb to have just different color, i think it's laziness and nothing else.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a fiasco, with another game only with some characters added (ultimate marvel vs capcom 3) , forcing people to buy it to play as phoenix wright and ghost rider, ****ty character roster etc.(modok really?) I'm not even comparing it with smash, or nintendo.
If you think it's laziness then why don't you make some? You can easily get all the resources necessary and do it in Brawl. Go on, show us.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
What's wrong with palette swaps? Obviously alts are better, but not every costume needs to be that different. The red Link costume (goron tunic) has been part of Smash since the beginning, and comes from Oot.

Although, I wouldn't mind the zora outfit from TP in place of the blue color....

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Oh I agree completely that Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a bad game, I hate it because of the gameplay, it is akin to reading a colouring book. But that's not the topic of discussion here.

The topic is the palette swaps. Different colours have been around forever. Mario did it when you got the fire flower, it happened in Mega Man when you changed boss weapons, even Legend of Zelda did it up to Ocarina of Time with the different coloured tunics.

You especially need colour swaps in a fighting game where you can select the same character more than once. Add too much difference, and you can create confusion between the same character (hurtboxes, hitboxes, etc.). To me, Smash 4 is looking even better this time because it provides alt costumes too, appealing to both sides who want different costumes while still maintaining relevant fighting data intact without creating confusion.

And even then, colour switches are not always necessarily just palette swaps or re-colours either, sometimes there are small differences in each one that you can see. For example:
In Brawl, :dedede: has several colours that also change the pattern of his belt. The pink one, the purple one, and the white one have different patterns decorating his belt.
In both Brawl and Melee, :falconmelee: doesn't just have Blood Hawk's recolour when red, but also gets the writing changed at the back of his costume.

To me, the fact that we even have so many characters in one game just makes my day.

Master Shuckle

Master of Defense
NNID
Master-Shuckle
3DS FC
3196-4660-1846
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. The treasure chests that appear in Smash Run are very important. Not only do they give you stat boosts, but they also give you custom parts (the bag on the right) and Smash Run powers (the bag on the left). You should pick these up and use them in the next battle!!"

He also included a second picture saying: "…However, watch out for Mimicuties disguised as treasure chests. Run away! RUN AWAY!!"

Simply amazing.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
If you think it's laziness then why don't you make some? You can easily get all the resources necessary and do it in Brawl. Go on, show us.
Um, this thing you wrote proves everyone that you don't really think, about stuff, at all.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Oh I agree completely that Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a bad game, I hate it because of the gameplay, it is akin to reading a colouring book. But that's not the topic of discussion here.

The topic is the palette swaps. Different colours have been around forever. Mario did it when you got the fire flower, it happened in Mega Man when you changed boss weapons, even Legend of Zelda did it up to Ocarina of Time with the different coloured tunics.

You especially need colour swaps in a fighting game where you can select the same character more than once. Add too much difference, and you can create confusion between the same character (hurtboxes, hitboxes, etc.). To me, Smash 4 is looking even better this time because it provides alt costumes too, appealing to both sides who want different costumes while still maintaining relevant fighting data intact without creating confusion.

And even then, colour switches are not always necessarily just palette swaps or re-colours either, sometimes there are small differences in each one that you can see. For example:
In Brawl, :dedede: has several colours that also change the pattern of his belt. The pink one, the purple one, and the white one have different patterns decorating his belt.
In both Brawl and Melee, :falconmelee: doesn't just have Blood Hawk's recolour when red, but also gets the writing changed at the back of his costume.

To me, the fact that we even have so many characters in one game just makes my day.
Everything you say is right, but remember male wii fit trainer and female has everything same, but they look soo different, and not confusing at all

Zoa

Smash Ace
Gimmick? It is literally the game you are buying. Maybe competitive 1v1s are the gimmick?

mwahahaha
How is it literally the game I'm buying when it's nothing but a side mode whose main purpose is to power up for a match after? The sweeping generalization in the second statement really shows me this is a joke post.

Zoa

Smash Ace

Oh of course. It definitely won't be a tournament thing. I'm just expressing some disdain on how Smash Run is handled. Honestly it does look really fun destroying the different creatures from the screenshots and confirmed game play so far. The thing is it looks tedious just to farm for five minutes just to acquire power ups that may make the match handle worse.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
And yet you still haven't made a model. Probably laziness.
His job is to make games, not mine? Also he got an education, he studied about it, i'm studying Economy, and i'm not lazy in my field.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
For some reason I think that is Zelda in the chest and not ZSS or an actual Mimicutie. Zeldoo's legs probably look they belong to a Rockette; not slim and toned legs like ZSS, just sturdy and flexible long legs... But dem legs feel like an electrified boulder when they hit you.

Dammit Zeldoo, just because a princess isn't allowed to show her legs off doesn't mean you have to stuff your upper half into a box to get some leggy attention. Then you get all embarrassed when people look for too long and you just start kicking their face in. Girl, get your mind right by using the Triforce of Wisdom. Just censor your face/crop out your upper half and post pics on Instagram under the handle "DeezLegzElectric" and call it a day.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Gotta get the boob- I mean chests...! -you know, for dem unlockables :awesome:

Also, dang, ZSS is still talked about?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Gotta get the boob- I mean chests...! -you know, for dem unlockables :awesome:

Also, dang, ZSS is still talked about?
Oh geez, yesterday's thread went waaaaay off-topic so fast. The topic changed to philosophies about what it means to "be a real man," an especially immature user got banned due to grotesquely offensively comments too. It was rich!

Everything you say is right, but remember male wii fit trainer and female has everything same, but they look soo different, and not confusing at all
Okay, that's fair. I can accept that.

I dunno, though. Sometimes I prefer having different colour palettes with slight variations, like the examples I posted, and sometimes just having different colours that we've never seen before can look cool too. I guess it comes down to taste.
:happysheep:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman

I dunno, though. Sometimes I prefer having different colour palettes with slight variations, like the examples I posted, and sometimes just having different colours that we've never seen before can look cool too. I guess it comes down to taste.

it's fine, i know it comes down to taste, then let's be happy Sakurai put alt colors and alt costumes for both tastes, yay now i get it :D :happysheep:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Oh geez, yesterday's thread went waaaaay off-topic so fast. The topic changed to philosophies about what it means to "be a real man," an especially immature user got banned due to grotesquely offensively comments too. It was rich!

Oh yeah, I saw all the sexuality stuff in yesterday's PotD. Forreal though, with all those unnecessary comments by that one user, they deserved that ban imo. Didn't know it was gonna get that crazy over 2 alts :p Also, the red Link looks great in Smash 3DS!

Ikieri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4824-9515
Blue and gold chest...
Strong Legs...
Chun-Li anybody?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man, those damn Mimicuties were such a total pain in the neck in Kid Icarus: Uprising...but if it's a challenge, then Rosalina will be happy to accept.

Also like Link's red tunic alt. Still doesn't beat his Knight Academy outfit alt from Skyward Sword though.

Last edited:

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
I think it would be weird if we didn't have just recolors of the default costumes. Having alts is nice, but some people might just want to walk around as blue link instead of the ordinary green. I love alts just as much though, I think we need a healthy balance.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
That's a thing? It's been a while since I've played online.
Yeah, they stand in the middle of the stage most of the time (sometimes the outer rims) and spam their charged shots. They usually have the Powers that speed up charge times and let their shots pass through walls as well. Super annoying.

Top Bottom