• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U SMASH WII U DIRECT CONFIRMED!!! - Oct.23 NA, Oct.24 EU, JP, AU

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
The fact they have made ridley an icon, an ally and used a quite average model is just further insult to him being a stage hazard.

He is a villain and he doesn't team up with people and never has.

Sakurai is ignorant to Riley fans that's fine but there was never the need in hyping this at all as his inclusion as a boss is something that's been seen and done before. Giving false hype especially for over a year was just to far.

I Hope for dlc but I'm gonna say it's not likely, as after what ?10 years or whatever (since Melee) sakurais choices /biases chose not to include this character as playable and it is shown once again he remains consistent that he against it.

But the whole mewtwo thing has opened up the dlc idea so hopefully some more characters get added which should back up the hype train for others, but as for me I'm out!

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
A thought just struck me!
I hope that the having to register both games to get Mewtwo is not a Club Nintendo thing.
Because Sweden does not have Club Nintendo :(
I know there are few countries this affects, but i'm getting kinda worried now...
Yo. It's ****ty how we don't have Club Nintendo in Sweden and sometimes we miss out on stuff because of it. I don't know about the stars and stuff but actually we can make accounts still. Just go to the UK site and register. It's how I got free games like Mario 3D Land and Mario Bros Deluxe. So don't worry.

Last edited:

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
I certainly wanted Lucas too, but dude, the Mother series only has 3 games, two of which are Japan-only, and none sold all that great. It's unfortunate but understandable why Lucas isn't playable. Plus we don't know if Mewtwo is the only DLC, Lucas and Wolf could be the next ones for all we know.
But why the number of games matter.

It isn't a dead series, it was intended as a trilogy, and it's one of the best video game trilogy ever created.

Why quality wouldn't be represented correctly ? Mother deserved her two characters.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
You do realize, whining is the only way you can get what you want in this industry. If it weren't for whiners we wouldn't have gotten Mewtwo back..
Gamefreak decides what pokémon goes into the game, I'm pretty sure we would have got him back regardless seeing how much they advertise (Mega) Lucario, Charizard and Mewtwo on their own media.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Gamefreak decides what pokémon goes into the game, I'm pretty sure we would have got him back regardless seeing how much they advertise (Mega) Lucario, Charizard and Mewtwo on their own media.
I thought Sakurai just recently did an interview in which he said Gamefreak has nothing to do with the Pokemon that make it.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is ignorant to Riley fans that's fine but there was never the need in hyping this at all as his inclusion as a boss is something that's been seen and done before. Giving false hype especially for over a year was just to far.
There was never any false hype. People assumed too much and looked farther into it than needed. Literally, some think Snake might be back because of the codecs for pit and fox.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
But why the number of games matter.

It isn't a dead series, it was intended as a trilogy, and it's one of the best video game trilogy ever created.

Why quality wouldn't be represented correctly ? Mother deserved her two characters.
I agree with you that it's one of the best game trilogies, but the quality of something is up to opinion, so whatever characters get in Smash Bros tends to be up to whether they were in a recent game rather than quality. That'd be why Samus takes her design from Other M.

Last edited:

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
The Direct was awesome but people still need something to complain about. Instead of seeing it as a cool bonus for people who bought both games they see it as an attack on Wolf/Lucas fans and $40 DLC. Whiners are the worst.
Because you think that if we don't complain we will ever see Wolf and Lucas again ?

Complaining is showing support to a character, it's to show to Nintendo that we care about this character, and that we want him back.

If nobody talk about this favoritism then Wolf and Lucas won't be thought as potential DLC character.

So I'm doing everything for Wolf to be included, that it please the Internet or not.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
No they don't. Or at least they have said they let Sakurai pick anyone. I would think that he has more power than them in this decision.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you that it's one of the best game trilogies, but the quality of something is up to opinion, so whatever characters get in Smash Bros tends to be up to whether they were in a recent game rather than quality. That'd be why Samus takes her design from Other M.
But Mother is so loved that it's getting a fan-game that look likes a potential real game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNbJIl_Mkg

This is proof of something, even if it's unofficial this still make the Mother's spirit alive and recent.

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
There was never any false hype. People assumed too much and looked farther into it than needed. Literally, some think Snake might be back because of the codecs for pit and fox.
There was due to his ambiguity of the matter for over a year!

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I really think they should just make Ridley playable... He's not deconfirmed yet. He has EVERYTHING needed to be playable. EVEN a final smash as Metal Ridley... I really think that this is salt in the wound of the Ridley fans. I think it would awesome if he's in it but I don't care that much. I think Metroid should have more than ONE representative and that having a huge character would fit because in Smash it's all about variety. They didn't just make him a stage hazard, not a boss, not an AT, he doesn't even act like the Flying Man on Magicant. He's literally as if he was playable but controlled by the CPU.

Glottis

Smash Cadet
Yo. It's ****ty how we don't have Club Nintendo in Sweden and sometimes we miss out on stuff because of it. I don't know about the stars and stuff but actually we can make accounts still. Just go to the UK site and register. It's how I got free games like Mario 3D Land and Mario Bros Deluxe. So don't worry.
:O
I never knew i could make a UK account, sweet.
Tusen tack :D
Still, feels so weird that our version of Nintendo Power was called Club Nintendo, yet we can't officially get the real thing :/

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Entire Direct was amazing, still can't get over it. Glad to see Mewtwo back too.

However, despite everything, my favourite part...

THIS

THAT GLARE

HER DESIGN WAS MADE FOR THIS MOMENT SINCE 2007

Its like the Avenger's but Nintendo/ better.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
I just didn't want a salty comment war once more
But man, It's my duty to be salty.

You don't know what represented Wolf to me in Smash Bros.

Back in Brawl, it was a child dream being realized to have him playable,

I grew up with Starfox, and while pretty much everyone was going crazy of making a Mario vs Sonic fight, I was for my case so happy to finally being able to do a Fox vs Wolf hands to hands fight.

And now he's gone, and I'm scared to see him being reduce as a codec character and color swap.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I really think they should just make Ridley playable... He's not deconfirmed yet. He has EVERYTHING needed to be playable. EVEN a final smash as Metal Ridley... I really think that this is salt in the wound of the Ridley fans. I think it would awesome if he's in it but I don't care that much. I think Metroid should have more than ONE representative and that having a huge character would fit because in Smash it's all about variety. They didn't just make him a stage hazard, not a boss, not an AT, he doesn't even act like the Flying Man on Magicant. He's literally as if he was playable but controlled by the CPU.
I hate to be "that" guy, but did you see how big he was?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Can someone tell me where the hell the main Ridley thread is? =/ This damn forum is full of too much crap.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Ridley's not deconfirmed?

*facepalm*

The purple dragon FINALLY got deconfirmed today when was revealed to be a stage boss on pyrosphere like he's been suggested to be for months ever since the april direct!

Hate to say it, but you ridley fans need to accept he's never going to be a playable character! :)

Now on a different subject, we can finally host tournaments online in super smash bros! (100 percent sure you couldn't do this with Brawl's crappy excuse for "online")

@ M Mcriddle pretty much. I only went in there the day the entire cast was officially revealed via twitch streams and as per the rule of cautious editing, lets just say the fanbase had nothing nice to say at all towards Sakurai! :rolleyes:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The Salt will never end
Ridley becomes a cooperative hazard: "Why he's a hazard? It's insulting to his character, why he helps you? etc."
IF Ridley became fully playable: "Why it was scaled down?, He looks slow, It's insulting to his character, etc."
I comprehend and respect every fanbase but sometimes, the complaning is too much.

I think this thread should be closed before the salt intensifies even more and the place becomes filled with toxic comments. The Direct was long over and we can discuss individual new info in the respective threads.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
BUT...BUT...MEWTWO HAD A 3DS TROPHY...

SAKURAI THIS IS NEXT FREAKING LEVEL TROLLING.

As for everything else; fantastic. Absolutely wonderful. And it's almost all less than a month away!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Guys, I was thinking...

In SSB64, Ridley was a background element.
In SSBM, Ridley got to appear in the opening and a trophy.
In SSBB, Ridley got not one, but two boss fights.
In SSB4, Ridley is finally a fighter. An assist fighter, but a fighter, nonetheless.

You know what this means, right?

In SSB5, Ridley could be the announcer!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I certainly wanted Lucas too, but dude, the Mother series only has 3 games, two of which are Japan-only, and none sold all that great. It's unfortunate but understandable why Lucas isn't playable. Plus we don't know if Mewtwo is the only DLC, Lucas and Wolf could be the next ones for all we know.
kid icarus only has three games and it has three characters. and the second one is forgettable, and it only has a third game because sakurai liked pit

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Um, what does that have to do with what you said previously?
Sorry, I misread your previous reply about the scale down.

EDIT: So if I understood right this time; even if they get the scaled down Ridley, some people wil complain because that (Inb4 "Ridley is now too small" or something like that)

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I just got the chance to watch the Smash Direct after being away all day. Luckily I went in unspoiled, because,

...Wow!, this is just about as good as it could possibly get.

RIDLEY GETS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER ICON!!! We're so close...I can almost taste it.

And The Mewtwo reveal completely blindsided me.

Basically, it's back to open season in speculation-ville. This is more important than it may seem at first...what it means is that Smash 4 is a living, breathing entity. It's a work in progress that will continue getting better, with more modes and playable characters and costumes and stuff we can't even imagine all arriving over the next few years, and maybe even longer than that.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
*SIGH*
Yeah, let's have another mindless change dot org petition because people don't think in advance.

It's almost obvious that Mew2 will be available at the eShop as a normal paid DLC but the owners of both versions will get the promotion of having it free.
How is that obvious. It's nintendo we're talking about. Always 1 step forward, 2 years of constant running back

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
How is that obvious. It's nintendo we're talking about. Always 1 step forward, 2 years of constant running back
It's obvious from a business point, having Mewtwo only accesible to the owners of both games is a really dumb idea because the income of a potential paid DLC gets lost, so it's free promotional DLC for the owners of both games and Paid DLC for the ones who own one version.
Also the paid DLC was hinted here https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/525415360242393088

Tamagon

Smash Rookie
aaaand the floodgates have been opened for DLC. Nice to see Mewtwo back, hopefully he's not terrible like in Melee.

I think Wolf has a strong chance as DLC since there's a new Star Fox on the way, so I can see them doing him as DLC to advertise that. Lucas I think is pretty much dead since Ness has his specials as customs, and as a rep of a Japan-only game of an incredibly niche franchise, I don't think DLC for him would sell too well.

kid icarus only has three games and it has three characters. and the second one is forgettable, and it only has a third game because sakurai liked pit
...It had a third game because people WANTED a new KI game. The original KI was a cult classic just like Earthbound; that's how it got into Smash to begin with. While Dark Pit is a terrible addition, KI being more recent and successful than Mother justifies it getting more reps, though not to the extent it has I'll agree.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
The Direct was awesome but people still need something to complain about. Instead of seeing it as a cool bonus for people who bought both games they see it as an attack on Wolf/Lucas fans and $40 DLC. Whiners are the worst.
If Mewtwo is only unlockable via owning two versions of the game and two systems with the games having sort of one time use code or some sort of permanent link deal, then people do have a valid complain. Being able to buy him on his own makes sense, although the best case scenario is that just having a 3DS copy connect to a Wii U copy at any time will unlock DLC characters.

Top Bottom