• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii-U/3DS Online Play: For Glory, For Fun, For eSports?

Sleepy

Smash Ace
Whatever this can be considered, I wouldn't really consider it an insult in any shape or form to the competitive community. I think he's just going off the Japanese old style of only having 2 stages available in the competitive play pool (FD, and Dreamland 64).

While some may feel that it doesn't do justice, it seems to some extent that Sakurai has retracted some degree of his statements regarding competitive play. For them to even create a game mode and a ranking system at all (regardless of if it is specific in rank) is a step towards competitive play in Nintendo history.

Last edited:

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
As long as they put some platforms on some of these FD clone stages we're good

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
What is sad is that it makes me think that they do not understand competitive smash fully when they still assume that we only play on FD, lol.
The way I see it, it's a lot easier to just make the mode FD-only than to wait on the competitive scene to decide which stages are tourney legal and then implementing those.

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
The way I see it, it's a lot easier to just make the mode FD-only than to wait on the competitive scene to decide which stages are tourney legal and then implementing those.
He's got a point.

And besides, when people play matches that matter, they typically play in Friends-only matches anyway, right? And you can actually pick the stage in that.

Last edited:

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
Seeing as that we don't have to use the FG ruleset in tournaments, I see nothing bad coming of this. We got our existence acknowledged, we got a vastly better (though obv. not perfect) online mode, and we got the developer's admittance that items-off is a valid choice. I don't know why people are still unhappy...actually I do: they'll never be.
Praise^^^^^ Unless you give these Neanderthal-esque Melee Smashers their corrupt wave dashing (the one and only glitch these unskilled players hid behind. Look at Ken he never learned it, only dash dancing, and was undefeated for years until he quite from all the idiotic fans cheering against him.) back then they will never be satisfied. They need to be enlightened by smashing the Brawl Way: not relying on constantly glitching, Learning a move set to the fullest and trying to minimize the disadvantages, and finally, being able to do very quick thinking analyzing all the different possibilities and making the best move rather than seeing who could wave dash the best. Brawlers were enlightened and most of the optimism comes from them while most of the pessimism comes from people still stuck in Melee. Hopefully SSB4 enlightens and unites the whole community behind this game, but until then we will have to deal with Melee skepticism.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Praise^^^^^ Unless you give these Neanderthal-esque Melee Smashers their corrupt wave dashing (the one and only glitch these unskilled players hid behind. Look at Ken he never learned it, only dash dancing, and was undefeated for years until he quite from all the idiotic fans cheering against him.) back then they will never be satisfied. They need to be enlightened by smashing the Brawl Way: not relying on constantly glitching, Learning a move set to the fullest and trying to minimize the disadvantages, and finally, being able to do very quick thinking analyzing all the different possibilities and making the best move rather than seeing who could wave dash the best. Brawlers were enlightened and most of the optimism comes from them while most of the pessimism comes from people still stuck in Melee. Hopefully SSB4 enlightens and unites the whole community behind this game, but until then we will have to deal with Melee skepticism.
Talking about unity but flaming at Melee players for playing the way they do is like telling your friends that they should be nice to each other and then making fun of them in front of a crowd.

Last edited:

Elite Smasher

NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
Talking about unity but flaming at Melee players for playing the way they do is like telling your friends that they should be nice to each other and them making fun of them in front of a crowd.
Ehhh okay okay I understand what your saying. I did not necessarily mean to flame I was just kind of enlightening the person who I quoted on why there is hate but ended with a hopeful message.... I am a bit mad about the Melee players, but they are the reason we are divided technically and honestly, there is nothing that I want more for this community than to consolidate under SSB4. If we consolidate, then we can really make our voices heard under a single loud unified voice. We can also make Smash more appealing in the MLG community united. We are also more likely to get Nintendo to hear from us and make changes if we are not divided into Factions. Getting united is what I really wanted and I am sorry for any offense from my reasoning why there is hate towards FOR GLORY.

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I like Glory mode, A LOT! But the question I have, which I want a answer for, is this: Is Team Battle (pairing up with a friend locally, online friends, or paired up with someone using 2 accounts on the same system) available for that mode? I really want a answer for that!

Elite Smasher

NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
I like Glory mode, A LOT! But the question I have, which I want a answer for, is this: Is Team Battle (pairing up with a friend locally, online friends, or paired up with someone using 2 accounts on the same system) available for that mode? I really want a answer for that!
Sakurai told us that he would give more information about the games at a later date (possible another Nintendo Direct) and that is when you would get an answer for that. Currently it is impossible to infer the answer to your question based on the current information we hold.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ehhh okay okay I understand what your saying. I did not necessarily mean to flame I was just kind of enlightening the person who I quoted on why there is hate but ended with a hopeful message.... I am a bit mad about the Melee players, but they are the reason we are divided technically and honestly, there is nothing that I want more for this community than to consolidate under SSB4. If we consolidate, then we can really make our voices heard under a single loud unified voice. We can also make Smash more appealing in the MLG community united. We are also more likely to get Nintendo to hear from us and make changes if we are not divided into Factions. Getting united is what I really wanted and I am sorry for any offense from my reasoning why there is hate towards FOR GLORY.
It's not the Melee community that separates us, but posts like yours to be honest. You tried to convey a positive message, but ended up ruining it by calling them all "unskilled, neanderthals, and idiots". If we're to make any progress as a whole community, the first step we've got to do is to stop doing this. Some people prefer Melee's fast-paced gameplay, while others prefer Brawl's slower-pace. You're to expect this when reading a competitive forum, since Sakurai himself had said that Melee was his masterpiece but too competitive, which is why he designed Brawl for casuals and not competition.

Also, wavedashing wasn't a glitch, and Sakurai knew it was there before the game was even released. He was the one who decided it should stay in, so flaming about it is like flaming at Sakurai for making the game the way it was.

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Sakurai told us that he would give more information about the games at a later date (possible another Nintendo Direct) and that is when you would get an answer for that. Currently it is impossible to infer the answer to your question based on the current information we hold.
Another Direct? Hmmmm... I don't know about that. Mainly because E3 is 2 months away, so the of chance Nintendo making another Direct before E3 will be either silm or will have no chance at all. But who knows what they'll do next after showing the latest Direct. :ohwell:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Another Direct? Hmmmm... I don't know about that. Mainly because E3 is 2 months away, so the of chance Nintendo making another Direct before E3 will be either silm or will have no chance at all. But who knows what they'll do next after showing the latest Direct. :ohwell:
Well, in E3 2013, Nintendo's press conference was another "Nintendo Direct". So I'd say it's possible that on this upcoming E3 it could be another one.

Elite Smasher

NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
It's not the Melee community that separates us, but posts like yours to be honest. You tried to convey a positive message, but ended up ruining it by calling them all "unskilled, neanderthals, and idiots". If we're to make any progress as a whole community, the first step we've got to do is to stop doing this. Some people prefer Melee's fast-paced gameplay, while others prefer Brawl's slower-pace. You're to expect this when reading a competitive forum, since Sakurai himself had said that Melee was his masterpiece, and that Brawl was designed for casuals and not competition.

Also, wavedashing wasn't a glitch, and Sakurai knew it was there before the game was even released. He was the one who decided it should stay in, so flaming about it is like flaming at Sakurai for making the game the way it was.
WOW!!! I did not know that at ALL. The fact that Sakurai knew of its existence.... I am just curious where did you hear that, but I'll believe it since I do know he called it his masterpiece. Anyway I am sorry. I realize that my previous actions were a bit wrong for the reasons you said. I am very optimistic that once the game is released players of all backgrounds, Melee and Brawl alike, will come harmoniously to enjoy SSB4. After the Direct I think the prospects are high but we can only hope. I will try from now on to be more considerate and try not to appear flaming anymore.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Well, in E3 2013, Nintendo's press conference was another "Nintendo Direct". So I'd say it's possible that on this upcoming E3 it could be another one.
If that's the case, I would say that they'll make another one within the next month. Probably not in June though...

Elite Smasher

NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
We will probably only get Nintendo directs during E3 like last year and get small updates on smash during E3. Then after a few weeks before launch, I think we will get another Smash Direct from Sakurai with loads of news and a final round of hype.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
We will probably only get Nintendo directs during E3 like last year and get small updates on smash during E3. Then after a few weeks before launch, I think we will get another Smash Direct from Sakurai with loads of news and a final round of hype.
I can see the final round of hype right now..! :smirk:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
One of the things I'll miss for sure will be L-canceling. That technique was useful for stringing combos quickly. It rewarded you for precise timing of each aerial move with an L-cancel and I enjoy that.

Last edited:

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
The For Glory mode is for ONLINE people geez. It is just a simple way to make competitive Smash (combined with no items) for those who don't travel/do the tourney scene/don't know people and want to play like that. If you are playing in a tourney you can obviously play offline however you want. If you need online training with friends (which personally I prefer offline for tourney training anyhow) you can still probably set it up how you like in the "For fun" mode. So take the bone we were given and be happy.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
WOW!!! I did not know that at ALL. The fact that Sakurai knew of its existence.... I am just curious where did you hear that, but I'll believe it since I do know he called it his masterpiece. Anyway I am sorry. I realize that my previous actions were a bit wrong for the reasons you said. I am very optimistic that once the game is released players of all backgrounds, Melee and Brawl alike, will come harmoniously to enjoy SSB4. After the Direct I think the prospects are high but we can only hope. I will try from now on to be more considerate and try not to appear flaming anymore.
from the outside looking in, I see Melee treats Brawl how FGC treats Smash. But we all know that those cases are just the minority, and that kind of treatment is slowly disappearing.

Just like how smash is now accepted by FGC, we hope that Smash4 unites both communities. For Fun & For Glory.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Any feedback on the Wireless Wii U Ctrl Pro? Next step for Sakurai maybe is to have a USB(?) Wired Wii U Ctrl Pro / GC Ctrl.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah, a wired controller should be addressed. Imagine an offline tournament with 100+ people playing simultaneously (like in Melee pools at internationals)... Some of them are bound to be sharing the same channel.

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Honestly I think I know where Sakurai is coming from with this "ranking" mode. He decided to take a popular and well known stage that is known for it's neutrality and use it as the base for this ranked mode. Think about it for a second... in all other fighters with Rank can't we agree that all the stages they play on are the same. I think if he is going to rank people for the online mode he wants only one stage for better rank data. Having stage bans among other things I've seen here will make it harder to rank people on their skills(ex. if one guy can only play well on smashville and gets ranked high due to that). Now I'm not saying that some characters have don't disadvantages on FD, I understand some do, but I think Sakurai is trying his best to make things balanced. Plus most of you guys here aren't going to do most of your stuff on "For Glory" your going to keep doing what your doing here on smashboards make your own rules and competitive matches. I applaud Sakurai trying very hard on this game and showing he listens to us with most of his decisions.

All in all I just want to have fun with this game when it's release and if "For Glory" has problems at release we are at a time where patches are a thing and it can be easily adjusted to the community if needed.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Sakurai kind of ragged about the competitiveness with some subtlety, but imo with every stage like FD, things are going to be stale fast. What about Battlefield and Smashville? :o

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I don't care much for wins/loses being kept track of. However, everyone I meet in my town, cannot or barely can beat a level 9 computer, so they really don't have a chance to defeat me (especially when all said players are predictable). I'm always busy, and I'm not a fan of huge crowds, and would probably hate being the center of attention by participating in a tourny, so tournaments are pretty much out of the question for me too.

So I look forward to the "For Glory" mode so I have a chance to fight tougher opponents every now and then. It's been far too long since I've had some good pvp in a game. Sure there are other games that have good fun competitive pvp, but they get boring after a while. Smash on the other hand, I don't see that ever getting boring.

Of course I'm still going to play the "For Fun" mode..... As sometimes I like to do silly things, and see what I can get away with. Using only one attack for example.... usually done with Falcon Punch of course. Also, I love it when an item that is likely to kill you is being in the hands of your enemy, as I think it's awesome to panic as you run away until whatever advantage your enemy has goes away..... I just love all the chaos of the "normal" mode in general. Only problem I have is that I prefer Stock matches over timed matches, as it feels like more is at stake

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of a bummer that you won't be able to play some of the playable stages with platforms, such as Battlefield, in For Glory but it's nice that they have a competitive online mode at all. Although I'm wondering if picking a Final Destination version of a stage actually gets rid of the bosses/stage hazards. In the direct on the part talking about the Yellow Devil, you can clearly see that they're playing on the Final Destination form of the stage, yet the boss/hazard is still present. That would be disappointing if there's no option to turn off stage hazards.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Damn it Nintendo, why is it that you can't make a decent online mode...it's 2014! I don't care that this is a "step in the right direction", it's not hard to see that the competitive community doesn't JUST play FD, in fact, it's hard to pretend that if one watched a single Grand Finals of just about any tournament. Plus, considering that this isn't GGPO, God only knows how much lag the will be during online play...

Regardless of whether or not Sakurai gives the tools in Smash 4 for it to be competitive, people will buy it, because, well, it's the new Smash. I mean, people bought Melee. Why make a "Win-Lose" when it could easily be "Win-Win".

GnOME

Smash Rookie
I may have missed something but will the For Glory mode have a stock game option? All I could see in the direct were timed k/d games. That's fine of course but I really really really want the option (make it a default) to make the games stock based. I'd bet good money that most players - casual and or competitive - play with stocks, so ruling it out would be silly.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I may have missed something but will the For Glory mode have a stock game option? All I could see in the direct were timed k/d games. That's fine of course but I really really really want the option (make it a default) to make the games stock based. I'd bet good money that most players - casual and or competitive - play with stocks, so ruling it out would be silly.
It'd be awesome if we could host, enter lobbies, and exit lobbies that were specific. For example. I could search for players hosting a lobby for 4 stocks 8 minutes. I could also search for 4 stocks unlimited time, 4 minutes unlimited stocks, and so on. That would be sweet.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
God only knows how much lag the will be during online play...".
I highly doubt there will be lag this time around. From the online I've experienced on my Wii U so far it's been LAGLESS. That's coming from a Project M/Melee player who bought a CRT and set up on it just so I could rid of the 1 second lag from my HDTV set up. Sakurai said himself he wanted to make the online far better than Brawls because he knows it sucked. I would be extremely surprised if this game doesn't have dedicated servers for online play. It would make things much smoother. The game makes enough money to support them regardless.

Elite Smasher

NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
It's kind of a bummer that you won't be able to play some of the playable stages with platforms, such as Battlefield, in For Glory but it's nice that they have a competitive online mode at all. Although I'm wondering if picking a Final Destination version of a stage actually gets rid of the bosses/stage hazards. In the direct on the part talking about the Yellow Devil, you can clearly see that they're playing on the Final Destination form of the stage, yet the boss/hazard is still present. That would be disappointing if there's no option to turn off stage hazards.
Well you could always learn how to utilize stage hazards to your advantage and enjoy the unique occasion

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy that Nintendo is finally embracing the competitive side a bit, but final destination only gives big advantages to certain characters due to the no platforms, it would be nice to see a new layout with bans with an update post-release

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Well you could always learn how to utilize stage hazards to your advantage and enjoy the unique occasion
It's not that I couldn't play with stage hazards if I was forced to. I just find them annoying. It's just a random occurrence that can completely alter a match based on no skill whatsoever. It's the same reason why you don't play with items in the competitive scene. Because you can be dominating a match completely, and then the opponent gets some ridiculous item out of nowhere randomly, and ends up winning in a non-skill based way. That's just simply my opinion though. I'm not trying to knock anybody who likes playing with hazards or items. To each his own.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
What if you could host tournaments online? List the Nintendo Network IDs of all the participants, and they'll be notified next time they start the game, and also receive a Notification in their Notifications list in more detail, including the date set by the host. :D Ehh?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
About the final destination talk...... This might just be crazy talk, but what if they were balancing all the characters specificly for fighting on Final Destination? :bubblebobble:

yamatosenpai

Smash Cadet
Man this is so hype haha XD. Used to know someone online on my old roster named Glory he would be so pleased with the latest installments that are going to be in SSB4.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Good to see Sakurai still supports the competitive community. I'm sure "For Glory" will have as much of an impact on the scene as Tournament Mode has!

Top Bottom